• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: PS4 Pro Update details

firelogic

What kind of logic is this. If Dark Souls 4 came out at 30fps I would not buy it. Some people have higher/lower standards of what to expect and that is fine either way.

A true fan of something partakes in it regardless of the supposed shortcomings (which in this case isn't one at all as Dark Souls at 30fps has been fine on consoles for multiple games). A true Star Wars fan watches all Star Wars movies despite terrible reviews/trailers. A true fan buys their favourite band's albums regardless. A true fan sticks with whatever they're a fan of for its ups and downs. That's the difference between someone who casually consumes a specific product and someone who's a "true" fan. If something like 30fps stops you from playing a Ratchet game, you're not a true fan. You're just someone who likes Ratchet and Clank and can play a title here and there and won't care if you miss out on a few. Not to mention, this specific game has garnered stellar reviews and praise from people that played it.

I might be splitting hairs here but the definition of a true fan isn't someone that skips an excellent game in a series just because it's 30fps.

w0s

Does it automatically just do it? Says I am up to date but I don't see anything in options.

Same thing with titanfall 2.

Shin-Ra

There's another small update, didn't catch the file size but it took seconds to DL.

Version 1.07
The following issues were addressed:
- Various bug fixes.
Hopefully it prevents the seemingly random crash I had on Pro yesterday.

Skulldead

There's another small update, didn't catch the file size but it took seconds to DL.

Hopefully it prevents the seemingly random crash I had on Pro yesterday.

i have the same problem on the pro, the game crash for no reason.... even with the 1.07 patch...

Shin-Ra

i have the same problem on the pro, the game crash for no reason.... even with the 1.07 patch...
Yup, I've had three crashes even after 1.07 and gave up.

I submitted bug reports through the automated crash reporting so hopefully that helps.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the game, using my previous New Game+ file and starting a brand new file with no success.

A true fan of something partakes in it regardless of the supposed shortcomings (which in this case isn't one at all as Dark Souls at 30fps has been fine on consoles for multiple games). A true Star Wars fan watches all Star Wars movies despite terrible reviews/trailers. A true fan buys their favourite band's albums regardless. A true fan sticks with whatever they're a fan of for its ups and downs. That's the difference between someone who casually consumes a specific product and someone who's a "true" fan. If something like 30fps stops you from playing a Ratchet game, you're not a true fan.

firelogic said:
I might be splitting hairs here but the definition of a true fan isn't someone that skips an excellent game in a series just because it's 30fps.

Then I'm extremely happy to not fall under your obtuse definition of "true fan."

Please, enjoy your lower standards.

Shin-Ra

With my 100% complete New Game+ save (copied from regular PS4 to PS+ cloud save to PS4 Pro) I load up the Deplanetizer with maxed Ω Peacemaker equipped, but I can change weapons freely and usually have about 10 minutes to do anything, change planet even. My last crash I travelled to Veldin, blew up some horny toads with the Ω Fusion Bomb and it crashed well after when I was looking at a fence.

Deleting my save completely, I started a brand New Game, watched the intro video completely and 10-20 seconds after it gives control to spin the large bolt I didn't make any controller input but it crashed.

When the game crashes the picture freezes, not 100% certain about the sound but I think it hiccups and stops immediately too. After a while the picture goes blank and a while longer it returns to the PDM with the crash reporting tool, which I've used.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
With my 100% complete New Game+ save (copied from regular PS4 to PS+ cloud save to PS4 Pro) I load up the Deplanetizer with maxed Ω Peacemaker equipped, but I can change weapons freely and usually have about 10 minutes to do anything, change planet even. My last crash I travelled to Veldin, blew up some horny toads with the Ω Fusion Bomb and it crashed well after when I was looking at a fence.

Deleting my save completely, I started a brand New Game, watched the intro video completely and 10-20 seconds after it gives control to spin the large bolt I didn't make any controller input but it crashed.

When the game crashes the picture freezes, not 100% certain about the sound but I think it hiccups and stops immediately too. After a while the picture goes blank and a while longer it returns to the PDM with the crash reporting tool, which I've used.

and you've uninstalled / reinstalled the game?

Shin-Ra

and you've uninstalled / reinstalled the game?
Yes, fully installed from Blu-ray and the 1.07 patch installed.

My PS4 Pro's set to automatic for everything and outputting 2160p YUV422 HDR.

System Software 4.05

edit: Default settings for SHARE video capture, but 3840x2160 PNG for screenshots. I'm not taking screenshots when it crashes though and avoided it completely.

I didn't migrate anything over from the original PS4 to Pro. Just set my PSN account up on the new machine.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yes, from Blu-ray and the 1.07 patch installed.

My PS4 Pro's set to automatic for everything but outputting 2160p YUV422 HDR.

System Software 4.05

kk. I'll be in touch, but I'll run this around to folks.

if anyone else is experiencing stuff, let me know and get me details

Skulldead

game crashes? anything more specific than that? Certain weapons or planets?

Any info helps us track it down.

Twice the game crash at random moment, first time happen in the first level, the second time it crash at the main screen. I decide to restart ps4 pro, no more crash since 2 hour...

Gaffi

Is there no way to tell that the pro enhancements are "on"? I've never played the game on a regular ps4 but I'm on a pro now with 1080p tv and the newest 1.07 patch and I'm still seeing quite a bit of aliasing. It could be better than a normal ps4 as I don't have a frame of reference but I was expecting less shimmer and jaggies even on a 1080p.

DjRalford

Is there no way to tell that the pro enhancements are "on"? I've never played the game on a regular ps4 but I'm on a pro now with 1080p tv and the newest 1.07 patch and I'm still seeing quite a bit of aliasing. It could be better than a normal ps4 as I don't have a frame of reference but I was expecting less shimmer and jaggies even on a 1080p.

odd, i played it on my KS7000 yesterday and the only time i notice any over sharp edges are in cutscenes,

Gaffi

odd, i played it on my KS7000 yesterday and the only time i notice any over sharp edges are in cutscenes,
Is that a 1080p display? If I have an old hdmi cord would that effect anything? Im worried I got the pro cord mixed up with my old ps4's. Maybe I'm just too used to my pc's 1440 monitor and games with good AA. Really hope they have better display options indicators in future pro titles. I'd expect to see and hdr and pro toggle option in game.

Game does look good, only notice rough edges when I really look. And I sit decently close. I'm just worried I'm missing something.

DjRalford

Is that a 1080p display? If I have an old hdmi cord would that effect anything? Im worried I got the pro cord mixed up with my old ps4's. Maybe I'm just too used to my pc's 1440 monitor and games with good AA. Really hope they have better display options indicators in future pro titles. I'd expect to see and hdr and pro toggle option in game.

Game does look good, only notice rough edges when I really look. And I sit decently close. I'm just worried I'm missing something.

no 4k HDR

DBT85

Post some screens so we can see.

Have you seen the screens on GAF? That's how it looks with me. It's a SUPER clean game on my 1080P projector. Almost no shimmer. You could probably find a jaggie if you looked hard enough but that's not how you play games. Haven't played the newest patch though. This was before the 1.07 patch so i hope that didn't fuck it up but i can't imagine

Unknown?

It looks so good in 4K! So clean. It always used to look good but the transition from CG cutscenes to in game cutscenes was always noticeable but now the in game cutscenes are very very close to the CG ones!

ymgve

I never played it on the OG PS4, but I'm slightly disappointed with the image quality of 1080p on Pro. I was expecting it having no jaggies anywhere with the downsampling from 4K, but aliasing is still present now and then (mostly on background objects).

Apart from that, game is good and looks great!

Humdinger

The game was already a looker originally. I can only imagine what it looks like in 4K, or even downsampled at 1080p. I'm going to take another run at it eventually, after I've upgraded to a 4K set. The game is a lot of fun; one of my favorites of the year.

THIS is what other devs need to do with sub 4K resolutions, it looks sensational especially with HDR, best thing I've seen on the Pro, more impressive than TLOU for my money.

THIS is what other devs need to do with sub 4K resolutions, it looks sensational especially with HDR, best thing I've seen on the Pro, more impressive than TLOU for my money.
The Last Of Us wasn't really a looker on PS4 though. It always felt and looked like a slightly upgraded PS3 game

DBT85

I'm not much of a streamer, capturer or even image hoster. I'd there a standard or guide most people use?

Just use the share button to take your screenshots and the you can upload to a variety of places. Some will compress the image more than others, though for what you're talking about that probably won't stop us seeing the problem.

5taquitos

Got damn this game looks so good on a Pro on a 1080p display. I was pressing my face to the screen just to admire the amazing cleanness.

Seeing this has really given me hope for the future of Pro and getting very close to native 4K IQ.

Games like Days Gone could be off the charts good.

I'm still playing this on a normal PS4, but has the lighting been changed?
I updated to the 1.07 version and recreated a screenshot that I took when I played the game at launch, and the lighting looks warmer, and the shadows look more detailed/visible on the big building in the middle of the shot. I can't tell if it's a lighting change, or if there's a sort of time of day cycle with the weather/lighting, and that's what's different.

ratchet_clank_20160431bj7d.png

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I updated to the 1.07 version and recreated a screenshot that I took when I played the game at launch, and the lighting looks warmer, and the shadows look more detailed/visible on the big building in the middle of the shot. I can't tell if it's a lighting change, or if there's a sort of time of day cycle with the weather/lighting, and that's what's different.

Nope.

I assume the TAA cleaning up that building plus depth of field changes are what are combining there to make it that much better

BigEmil

Only thing is different is the newer TAA makes it bit more blurrier and subdued as you can see some detail is lost. Though at the expense of hardly any jaggies maybe worth it, i prefer the original FXAA looks much better imo especially the bushes back there

Gedi

Neo Member
I'm playing this on a new Sony 43" X800D but the game only plays at 1080p. I've enabled the "enhanced" HDMI option in the TV's settings but as soon as the game loads the display switches from 4K to 1080 and the home menu colour is all washed out too. That's not right, is it?

:edit: on a Pro btw

Nope.

I assume the TAA cleaning up that building plus depth of field changes are what are combining there to make it that much better

Oh, right. It definitely looks better now, and it was already one of the best looking games I've ever played. This is probably the one series that has always amazed me with how good it looks with each new game. I don't want to say the previous games don't hold up well graphically, but the sequels blow the previous game out of the water for the most part.

Only thing is different is the newer TAA makes it bit more blurrier and subdued as you can see some detail is lost. Though at the expense of hardly any jaggies maybe worth it, i prefer the original FXAA looks much better imo especially the bushes back there

I kinda prefer the way it looks now. The only thing I think looked better are those bushes, as you mentioned, because they look a bit too blurred and soft now, but then you look at the leaves on the top of the tree on the right, and how clean they look on the current version compared to the jaggied original.

DBT85

I'm playing this on a new Sony 43" X800D but the game only plays at 1080p. I've enabled the "enhanced" HDMI option in the TV's settings but as soon as the game loads the display switches from 4K to 1080 and the home menu colour is all washed out too. That's not right, is it?

:edit: on a Pro btw

Does it do this on all games or just on Ratchet?

Ratchet is outputting HDR while other games largly aren't.

I'll have a look for info on your TV.

EDIT: have you put your Pro into HDMI input 2 or 3? From this thread that's what you need for 4kHDR.

Gedi

Neo Member
Does it do this on all games or just on Ratchet?

Ratchet is outputting HDR while other games largly aren't.

I'll have a look for info on your TV.

EDIT: have you put your Pro into HDMI input 2 or 3? From this thread that's what you need for 4kHDR.

Thanks for the reply. It's working now. When I enabled the "enhanced" option on the TV I was in game at the time and I think for some reason the Pro didn't register the change. Anyway after turning the console off and coming back to it after your post, not only does the game play at 4K but for the first time I have the RGB option in the Pro's resolution settings and 2K & 4K HDR output, were as earlier 4K HDR "wasn't supported", only 2K.

The home menu is still washed out / faded whenever playing R&C compared to CoD:IW or Rez etc but as you suggest, I think that's entirely down the HDR effect.

Shin-Ra

I experimented with this a bit more today.

System Software 4.06 - game still crashes after 5-10 minutes play
Turned off HDR (full range RGB 3840x2160 - 60Hz output) - still crashes

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I experimented with this a bit more today.

System Software 4.06 - game still crashes after 5-10 minutes play
Turned off HDR (full range RGB 3840x2160 - 60Hz output) - still crashes

Can't really figure out why this is happening for you, we don't have any other similar reports. It almost feels hardware related :(

Shin-Ra

Something different happened after the last crash, reloading the game, this time as soon as play started the framerate was constantly low. I tried changing planet and the constant slowdown continued. I've uploaded a SHARE clip:

https://youtu.be/RcJAvdcQLE8

(I was playing one handed, recording with an iPad in the other hand, just in case it crashed and I couldn't share a clip.)

So far it hasn't crashed though!

mauaus

Something different happened after the last crash, reloading the game, this time as soon as play started the framerate was constantly low. I tried changing planet and the constant slowdown continued. I've uploaded a SHARE clip:

https://youtu.be/RcJAvdcQLE8

(I was playing one handed, recording with an iPad in the other hand, just in case it crashed and I couldn't share a clip.)

So far it hasn't crashed though!

You didnt get an error at all even if the game itself didnt crash a second time?
What did the first error say?

Edit: im an idiot and didnt read but the only time ive had this happen my PS4 crashed and said something like operating system crash (but it did NOT close my game) just kinda rebooted the OS and felt sluggish

Shin-Ra

You didnt get an error at all even if the game itself didnt crash a second time?
What did the first error say?
No error, just the constant low framerate. Still hasn't crashed now, well after it normally would.

The PS4 OS/PDM is operating at normal speed while the game's still running slowly.

I've fully exited and restarted the game and it's running slow a second time, I'm going to try a full PS4 reset now.

Update: after a full reset (not suspend) the game's loaded up at normal speed.
Update2: and eventually it crashed.

The sound continues to play a couple of seconds after the picture freezes, then the sound stops completely too. No looping noise or anything like that.
CE-34878-0 error code, not very revealing. I've sent an automated report with every crash.

Update3: I forced a PS4 database rebuild, no help. Starting a new game instead of my old save, the game actually crashes as soon as I approach the bolt that needs turning. I skipped the intro video this time so there doesn't appear to be any relevance to how long I've played, it crashed almost immediately after the scene became realtime and playable.

Update4: Initialised PS4, full factory reset. Started the game before any patching and before the Blu-ray's fully copied. Started a new game and no crash at the start, made it fully through the training course with no crash. Base PS4 mode seems fine.

First Clank level completed and still no crash in Base PS4 mode.

Update5: Quit game, set up PSN account and downloaded patch, installed patch and started game, continuing from second Ratchet level at night. Well into Novalis with no crashes so far!

Spoke too soon, soon after it crashed while swimming underwater in the secret cave.

Started a New Game just to see if it crashes immediately again. Lasts about 30 seconds after turning the bolt and leaving to smack some frogs.

Swapping in my SSD may be the last thing I can try.

Update6: SSD installed, game patched and crash shortly after starting new game. :(

I disabled 'Connect to the Internet' in Settings > Network, didn't help. Triple checked the Blu-ray, looks great and the game ran fine in base PS4 mode.

Tarkus

Just played for 1.5 hours on all current patches of game and OS. No crashes for me. Love the game...my first Ratchet and Clank.

I'm on a 65KS8000 and PS4 Pro and the game looks splendid in the 4K resolution, so much details.

However, I might have an issue in HDR. I started playing in HDR and thought it looked pretty good, but my friend suggested we looked without HDR, so we turned it off in the PS4 system menu. With HDR off, it looked so much more vibrant, all the colors were much more brighter and impressive, we were blown away at how pretty/vibrant it looked.

Also The default menu PS4 menu looked also much more "blue"/bright with HDR turned off.

So I come here to ask, has anyone experienced this? Is it a problem with the automatic setting/full/auto/something else? Is it intended that it is less vibrant so actual flashes of light/real vibrant color can shine more?

TV/PS4 Settings:
PS4 Pro current settings: All on auto, TV is getting 3840x2160 UHD and HDR signal when it is on.
TV settings:
HDR: Backlight 20, Brightness 45, Contrast 100, Sharpness 0, Color/Tint defualt, Black Level Auto, Dynamic Constrat Off, UHD color on, Color space Native.
Non-HDR: Backlight 12, same as above for the rest.

Thanks for any help, I will also post in the KS8000 thread, since it might not be a ratchet specific.

BigEmil

Wonder if it would be possible to keep fxaa instead of taa or no aa with the 4k temporal injection technique, I personally really dislike taa blurs away some detail with lesser in certain parts

Slaythe

No error, just the constant low framerate. Still hasn't crashed now, well after it normally would.

The PS4 OS/PDM is operating at normal speed while the game's still running slowly.

I've fully exited and restarted the game and it's running slow a second time, I'm going to try a full PS4 reset now.

Update: after a full reset (not suspend) the game's loaded up at normal speed.
Update2: and eventually it crashed.

The sound continues to play a couple of seconds after the picture freezes, then the sound stops completely too. No looping noise or anything like that.
CE-34878-0 error code, not very revealing. I've sent an automated report with every crash.

Update3: I forced a PS4 database rebuild, no help. Starting a new game instead of my old save, the game actually crashes as soon as I approach the bolt that needs turning. I skipped the intro video this time so there doesn't appear to be any relevance to how long I've played, it crashed almost immediately after the scene became realtime and playable.

Update4: Initialised PS4, full factory reset. Started the game before any patching and before the Blu-ray's fully copied. Started a new game and no crash at the start, made it fully through the training course with no crash. Base PS4 mode seems fine.

First Clank level completed and still no crash in Base PS4 mode.

Update5: Quit game, set up PSN account and downloaded patch, installed patch and started game, continuing from second Ratchet level at night. Well into Novalis with no crashes so far!

Spoke too soon, soon after it crashed while swimming underwater in the secret cave.

Started a New Game just to see if it crashes immediately again. Lasts about 30 seconds after turning the bolt and leaving to smack some frogs.

Swapping in my SSD may be the last thing I can try.

Update6: SSD installed, game patched and crash shortly after starting new game. :(

I disabled 'Connect to the Internet' in Settings > Network, didn't help. Triple checked the Blu-ray, looks great and the game ran fine in base PS4 mode.

Have you tried other pro patched games and have you experienced crashes with them ?

Unknown?

I'm on a 65KS8000 and PS4 Pro and the game looks splendid in the 4K resolution, so much details.

However, I might have an issue in HDR. I started playing in HDR and thought it looked pretty good, but my friend suggested we looked without HDR, so we turned it off in the PS4 system menu. With HDR off, it looked so much more vibrant, all the colors were much more brighter and impressive, we were blown away at how pretty/vibrant it looked.

Also The default menu PS4 menu looked also much more "blue"/bright with HDR turned off.

So I come here to ask, has anyone experienced this? Is it a problem with the automatic setting/full/auto/something else? Is it intended that it is less vibrant so actual flashes of light/real vibrant color can shine more?

TV/PS4 Settings:
PS4 Pro current settings: All on auto, TV is getting 3840x2160 UHD and HDR signal when it is on.
TV settings:
HDR: Backlight 20, Brightness 45, Contrast 100, Sharpness 0, Color/Tint defualt, Black Level Auto, Dynamic Constrat Off, UHD color on, Color space Native.
Non-HDR: Backlight 12, same as above for the rest.

Thanks for any help, I will also post in the KS8000 thread, since it might not be a ratchet specific.

Those vibrant colors work in games like R&C but HDR is meant to use more realistic colors. So games like Uncharted 4 really benefit from it. It looks less vibrant because real life isn't so over saturated. Lol

Shin-Ra

Have you tried other pro patched games and have you experienced crashes with them ?
No crashes with inFAMOUS SS/FL, Uncharted 4, Rez Infinite or Bound yet.

Infinite Warfare crashed several times on the 'hot sun' level but fine elsewhere in the campaign.
The Last of Us Remastered crashes in Photomode sometimes but it's hard to pin down the cause as I'm also switching HDR and framerate modes between playing and capturing stills.

Ratchet & Clank's the only one that crashes quickly, anywhere in the game.

Those vibrant colors work in games like R&C but HDR is meant to use more realistic colors. So games like Uncharted 4 really benefit from it. It looks less vibrant because real life isn't so over saturated. Lol

no? HDR gives you more colors. Enabling more fine differences in the spectrum. I guess you could say the colors are more natural because they simply exist in nature but a colorful/vibrant game remains colorful/vibrant in HDR. It uses the colors intended by the creators.

@original post: Try finding the settings for black level. On my TV I have to change between high and low depending on the game (also in correspondence to the deep color setting on PS4, so you can alternatively change that).
Basically if you see either black crush or washed out image, change it to the opposite setting... For some games you have to adjust the brightness ingame, too.

Also, are you sure your non-HDR mode isn't some default overly vibrant mode from the TV, have to customized it starting from a pro or gaming profile?

In any case, just adjust both the non-HDR and HDR TV modes to your liking. i.e. increase saturation if you prefer the look, but I would highly advise to calibrate it trying different games and test screens. I know high sat etc. can look pretty inviting but in other situations it looks horrible and can destroy IQ.

I have my modes on the TV set up so that they look almost identical, apart from the HDR benefits of course, which is how it should be I guess. Only the mentioned black level is annoying. I set it up for TLoU and and didn't had to change anything anymore for R&C. For infamous I needed to boost the ingame brightness and STILL has blackcrush and stupid ingame-HDR effect on top of it, but that's just fucked on the game level, nothing I can do anymore. For Deus Ex I had to change the black level back as it looked washed out...

Top Bottom