• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Retrospective - Future: A Crack in Time

If Nexus was a bit longer and had a more stable frame rate, I would rank it higher regarding top Ratchet games honestly. Will explain thoughts when I get to it but its a great title.

Happy you loved the Future Series so much and I hope they have a collection port on PS4 in the future. Great way to tied-over games looking for more Ratchet & Clank for next year :).

Yeah a PS4 collection would be great, wouldn't mind them taking that gorgeous graphics engine running the PS4 game and remastering the Future games with it, that would be pretty great.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Easily one of my Top 3 PS3 games.

Good stuff OP!

Tuck

Awesome game, but I find it to be somewhat overrated on GAF. A lot of people say its the best in the series, but I found the Ratchet levels to be somewhat forgettable, at least relative to what we've seen before. The clank stuff was fun, but I didn't like the increased focus on clank gameplay, as the Ratchet levels have always been far more fun. The space sections were a cool leap forward for the franchise, and I liked the hoverboots.

Also, it still boggles my mind how they introduced Talwyn in ToD only to completely drop her for seemingly no reason in this game.

EDIT: Also, worst set of weapons in the entire franchise, I think.

RK128

Awesome game, but I find it to be somewhat overrated on GAF. A lot of people say its the best in the series, but I found the Ratchet levels to be somewhat forgettable, at least relative to what we've seen before. The clank stuff was fun, but I didn't like the increased focus on clank gameplay, as the Ratchet levels have always been far more fun. The space sections were a cool leap forward for the franchise, and I liked the hoverboots.

Also, it still boggles my mind how they introduced Talwyn in ToD only to completely drop her for seemingly no reason in this game.

This was an odd move to me too :l. I mean, she is a great character and we liked her, but then they axe her from the 'final' Future game? That is a bit silly. If anything, it would of been more interesting if she was in the ship with Ratchet instead of Quark but what are you going to do.

She comes back in a comic that cannon-wise takes place after ACiT and has a larger role with Into the Nexus at the very least though :).

Maledict

Oh and I hated the hover boots. Cool idea but controlling them was an absolute pain. They significantly improved them in Nexus though - I really wish Nexus had been a full game, because it seemed like a really nice blend and upgrade over what had gone before.

I know it sounds crazy, but given the different characters, weapon systems and ship systems in Crack of Time compared to Tools of Destruction, and how those same things then reappeared in Nexus - I got the distinct impression that different teams built each game. Nexus *felt* like Tools of Destruction+, even down to flying around the swamp world hunting for things. Crack in Time felt like it was built by a different team.

(I don't even think the overarching story make much sense - the Lombaxes fled the universe because of Emperor Tachyon, why would the general be obsessed with turning back time? They should just work on building the same tech that let the Lombaxes flee in the first place. It felt almost like Crack in Time was trying to say the Lombaxes were all dead rather than in a different universe).

I thought the Hoverboots were much more satisfying to use in Crack in Time. Into the Nexus's only had one constant speed while CiT's had a slower gear and a faster gear. And the animations just look better in CiT. The flips were slicker and he just looked in general less stiff when riding them.

Really enjoying your input here, RK128. I'm playing through all games after finishing the reboot myself aswell. Just played Tools a few years ago. The original R&C aged pretty bad imho. No strafing kills the game for me. Part 2 is an huge improvement but also lacks many features from the later games and has some really annoying challenges. I'm currently playing the third and I'm having a blast. Awesome game so far.

Hixx

My favourite in the series (though I haven't played every game). Loved everything, even the Qwark minigame had me hooked.

Really enjoyed the remake of the original on PS4 but felt it fell quite short of ACiT.

RK128

Really enjoying your input here, RK128. I'm playing through all games after finishing the reboot myself aswell. Just played Tools a few years ago. The original R&C aged pretty bad imho. No strafing kills the game for me. Part 2 is an huge improvement but also lacks many features from the later games and has some really annoying challenges. I'm currently playing the third and I'm having a blast. Awesome game so far.

Thank you :D!

Glad you are giving the rest of the series a shot after playing the Reboot game :). Ratchet 3 is hands down my favorite in the series; such a good game and it does so much right.

If you didn't, consider reading my Retrospectives on the PS2 games! Covered them in great detail and hope you enjoy them :D!

Yeah I read them all. It's nice to see some other perspectives from a true fan of the series. I'm feeling your passion with every word and I can't wait to read your impressions for the recent one some day.

I played UYA many hours today and I can really see why its your favorite. Everything fits together so nicely.

GOOCHY

Sorry to bump this after a month but I just had to post that I am playing this one on a PSNow 7 day trial and it is just glorious. I never owned a PS3 during its active lifetime (had X360) so I missed out on the Ratchet games. After getting the Platinum in the PS4 reboot I decided that it was time to go back to the PS3 games. What a joy this game is! Great, great game.

Edit: ...and to give PSNow the credit it is due - the game runs buttery smooth - it's really remarkable. PSNow is pretty awesome if you have a good internet connection.

Espada

Listening to Deep Space Jams while exploring the galaxy and hopping around moons was one of the most enjoyable experiences in video games. Best R&C easily. I hope the next game brings back CiT's structure and Constructo weapons.

AWW YEAH BABY! Seriously, that is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. Every so often you'd hear an in-game ad referencing something from the previous games, or hear the DJ read a shoutout to Ratchet, just to sweeten the deal.

Just that decision to keep the radio playing while you were doing all that space stuff was just excellent. It helps that I love the Hyperion's design (and all its upgrades).

ACiT thoroughly restored my faith in Insomniac after Tools feeling simply "okay" and Q4B disappointing me hard.

GOOCHY said:
Sorry to bump this after a month but I just had to post that I am playing this one on a PSNow 7 day trial and it is just glorious. I never owned a PS3 during its active lifetime (had X360) so I missed out on the Ratchet games. After getting the Platinum in the PS4 reboot I decided that it was time to go back to the PS3 games. What a joy this game is! Great, great game.

Edit: ...and to give PSNow the credit it is due - the game runs buttery smooth - it's really remarkable. PSNow is pretty awesome if you have a good internet connection.

See, this is why in the Ratchet 2016 thread I recommend A Crack in Time to people who want more R&C goodness. It's damn good and worth playing for longtime fans and newcomers alike.

GOOCHY

See, this is why in the Ratchet 2016 thread I recommend A Crack in Time to people who want more R&C goodness. It's damn good and worth playing for longtime fans and newcomers alike.

I feel like ACiT is better than the PS4 reboot in the gameplay department. It's just more diverse. The game may not be as pretty as the PS4 reboot but it's no slouch in the graphics department. It still holds up graphically quite well.

Espada

I feel like ACiT is better than the PS4 reboot in the gameplay department. It's just more diverse. The game may not be as pretty as the PS4 reboot but it's no slouch in the graphics department. It still holds up graphically quite well.

On that I agree, there's simply more meat on ACiT's bones. As good as the 2016 title is, it ends far too soon to really be a challenger. We get all sorts of locales, the biggest difference in gameplay between Ratchet and Clank in the entire series, that sweet outerspace section with the planetoids/asteroids + radio, the hoverboots at their BEST (well it's either this iteration's boots or ItN IMO).

Espada

CiT has best boots, f itn's

Nah, ItN is the the only other game that can challenge ACiT's version of boots. The time spent on Sargasso with the hunter and jetting around with the boots made me appreciate the slight tweaks made to them.

Either way, both delivered the mobility I initially imagined prior to getting the Hoverboots for the very first time.

My biggest gripe with this game is that Ratchet and Clank were separated throughout 90% of it. Also there were too many open levels, but otherwise it was a great game.

Top Bottom