• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends confirmed for Vita [Up: Official, Gets Exclusive Content]

Tsunamo

Great to see Ubisoft still supporting the Vita.

I bought the original on PS3, but with Origins coming to PS+ next month, this having exclusive content, and hearing how good the original looks on dat OLED I'll definately pick Legends up on Vita.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't get what they mean by 'in the same country', surely they mean 'in the same living room' (adhoc?). I wasn't expecting online co-op but I was hoping for it. Think they are trying to avoid saying it in the pr.

It's a fun platformer at the end of the day and the levels are designed to be really engaging even for one player so it was never going to be a deal breaker. Nice to have the adhoc option now as well (iirc RO didn't have it on Vita?), might be able to get some pc routing software working with the wifi down the line.

Good on them for making some extra Vita levels as well. And the game itself I guess but it would have been crazy not to expect it really.

Lets wait for the technical comparison. This game being ported from wii u to vita may not be as smooth as it should be.

I'd assume it's going to be/already ported from their existing engine on Vita with Rayman Origins which runs 60fps at native res really well. Does the Wii U demo have problems?

Artorias

Banned
Huh. I hope it's decent. I could see myself picking this version up cheap, but I really want this game for multi so this version probably will have to wait.

TBF it's not much of a fear for Bayonetta it already sadly happened with Bayonetta 1.

True but I feel like this is going to be the final nail in the coffin.

Lets wait for the technical comparison. This game being ported from wii u to vita may not be as smooth as it should be.

No. Origins ran perfectly on Vita, there's absolutely no reason to doubt their ability to port this game over.

True but I feel like this is going to be the final nail in the coffin.

No. Origins ran perfectly on Vita, there's absolutely no reason to doubt their ability to port this game over.

Yeah it uses the same engine as Origins, it's quite flexible because of the way it's set up. You can max it pretty easy on PC as well.

What nail? What coffin? Bayonetta was already dead, Nintendo's funding resurrected it.

There was always the chance Sega could've resurrected it (Alien CM was dead at one point, after all, though it should've stayed that way). It may've taken years but there was still that possibility. Now, once Bayonetta 2 bombs because it's on a system no-one has, there's zero chance of that ever happening.

Thank you based Ubi.

There was always the chance Sega could've resurrected it (Alien CM was dead at one point, after all, though it should've stayed that way). It may've taken years but there was still that possibility. Now, once Bayonetta 2 bombs because it's on a system no-one has, there's zero chance of that ever happening.

Forget sales, the point is that the sequel to one of the greatest action games of our time is seeing the light of day. At least pretend to be grateful.

Okay man, I'd rather have an excellent game now and it not sell very well than waiting years for it to perhaps, maybe be revived, and it still not sell very well anyway. It's not the platform.

KeRaSh

I preferred the PS3 version or Origins but I'll probably end up buying both anyways because it's such an amazing game.

Skyzard

Banned
Hmmm. Interesting, but local co-op trumps OLED.

I dunno, platformers seem perfect for portable devices. I know I'm rarely bothered, if ever any more for 2D ones on my PC/consoles.

And this has local co-op btw, enjoy your preferred version though :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Good for Vita owners. I can't wait to play it on the Wii U, tough (on the big TV screen AND on the "portable" device, alone or in coop). I hope that it will sell better than Origins, otherwise it could be tough to see a third episode.

Skyzard

Banned
If Nintendo had any self worth it'd use Ubisoft as a mop for this.

Not sure they really have legs to stand on. They already had the engine from the first game, they kept quiet about it for a long time and it would be a great way to play the game [if it's anything like RO it will be amazing to have on Vita - I recommend digital]. Pretty sure the first title did alright for them too (they implied it when talking about AC sales on Vita).

I think Nintendo lost influence when they announced the PS360 versions, barely anyone has Wii U so you can't blame them for reaching out.

Nice to see them think it's also worth it to make a Vita version ontop the console versions too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Exclusive costumes only for Rayman and Globox? If it was Barbara then I would have been tempted.

Skyzard

Banned
Wait reading the PR it doesn't mention a 3DS version? I thought it was coming..? Wasn't there a 3DS demo?

Rayman Legends will also be available on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Nintendo Wii U™ at the same time, on August 29thin EMEA territories (August 30th in the United Kingdom).

Exclusive content?! Really?

Why on earth are they going to waste exclusive content on the port for what will be the lowest console install base at time of release?

Skyzard

Banned
I don't think we've ever heard anything about a 3DS version, not even rumoured.

Hmm my mistake, thanks. Seems a bit odd, you'd imagine it would be able to run it. I bet down the line if it can handle it, maybe Nintendo wants the Wii U to stand out from the 3DS quite a bit atm.

Vexxan

Bet it looks gorgeous on that Vita screen but I don't have one yet so console version it is. Would love to have it on PC but I don't think I've heard anything about that happening (at least not at launch).

JoshHood

Hmm my mistake, thanks. Seems a bit odd, you'd imagine it would be able to run it. I bet down the line if it can handle it, maybe Nintendo wants the Wii U to stand out from the 3DS quite a bit atm.
I imagine Origins bombed on 3DS, being the last out (by a fair way) of all the versions, four months after the Vita, almost a year after the rest, and even later in the US. Plus they got a fair but of criticism for the lower frame rate, lower audio quality and the fact that the levels simply weren't designed for two, lower-res screens. None of that is anyone's fault but Ubi's of course.

Most likely to give an extra reason for people buy the portable version. Or they have a deal with Sony.
I image the cross-promotional deal Sony have with Ubisoft for AC and Watch Dogs extends to this.

Nosgoroth

I dunno, platformers seem perfect for portable devices. I know I'm rarely bothered, if ever any more for 2D ones on my PC/consoles.

And this has local co-op btw, enjoy your preferred version though :)

I usually play co-op platformers with a friend, though, and he doesn't have a Vita so I don't think we could use this co-op.

I'm wondering if I should get the Vita version anyway, because next month EU Plus gets Origins for Vita.

Legends is actually a fair bit more technically complex than Origins (lighting, particles, 3D graphical elements), so I doubt it could be ported down to 3DS as "well" as Origins was.

...as long as you didn't compare it to any of the other versions.

True, but it wasn't unplayable garbage like some made it out to be. At least, not based on the demo, which is all I've played.

In any case, if Ubi decides to do another 2D Rayman for 3DS, they'd be better off designing something from the ground up for the platform rather than trying to cram in a console game designed for much higher-res displays.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The Vita version. Perfect d-pad, OLED and exclusive content...

If you have the choice it's a no-brainer really. Vita all the way!

The Wii U's d-pad is actually even better. Vita version has exclusive levels, but Wii U offers multiplayer for up to five players, so I don't think there is a clear-cut best version.

VanWinkle

True, but it wasn't unplayable garbage like some made it out to be. At least, not based on the demo, which is all I've played.

In any case, if Ubi decides to do another 2D Rayman for 3DS, they'd be better off designing something from the ground up for the platform rather than trying to cram in a console game designed for much higher-res displays.

It wasn't unplayable but I'd imagine you would have to be pretty delusional to say "It was fine. It was embarrassing. If you had no choice, the game COULD be played on there and maybe even enjoyed, but its an ENORMOUS step down from the other versions.

The Wii U's d-pad is actually even better. Vita version has exclusive levels, but Wii U offers multiplayer for up to five players, so I don't think there is a clear-cut best version.

Noooooo. I've never heard anybody say the Wii U's dpad is better. I've had both since launch and there's no way that's the case. Wii U dpad is great, don't get me wrong, but its definitely not to Vita's levels.

But you are correct in that you have to choose between the Vita's benefits (dpad, OLED, portability) and Wii U's (TV play and co-op with one system and one game). If you want to play co op then obviously Wii U would be the version to get.

Top Bottom