• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins collector's edition revealed (€65)

Ranger X

Derrick01 said:
Maybe to you but there's no way I could justify that much for a platformer. I mean I was going to get the Vita version anyway so I was going to wait regardless but I don't expect to spend any more than $20 for it. But these versions coming in November are definitely being sent to die and Ubisoft apparently doesn't care since they're putting it in the line of fire of their own 8 million per game franchise.

Well then this is simply short minded of you. New Super Mario Bros Wii should have been a Wiiware title I suppose? If you don't really like the platformer genre it's fine. However, it is a full fledged genre with wich you can make an AAA game plentifull of content, just like with basically any other genre. If that Rayman game is lasting at least 6 hours, seeing that it's top quality 2D, it's not "less worth of a full retail version" than say, God of War that also lasts like 6 hours with top quality 3D.

Basically, there's no "sub-games" or "sub-genres". There's only different scopes and lenghts for games and when the scope of the production is smaller it can be sold for less on PSN, XBLA and such smaller markets.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm more than willing to drop $60 on this if it has content and replayability to justify it. My greatest concern is that it'll be very easy and shallow like most of Ubisoft's current gen games, which tends to kill replay value. I hope it plays as good as it looks!

Arnie

Art books and soundtracks are what should be included in collectors editions, as well as making of DVDs, not statues and flags.

jett said:
Is this game really going to be released at full-price? That's just dumb.
How'd you know, have you played it? What makes this any less of a full price game than say Assassin's Creed? Just because it was once a downloadable game doesn't mean it's still got the same amount of content, especially considering how long it's been in development.

Ranger X

jett said:
Is this game really going to be released at full-price? That's just dumb.

I don't know why Ubisoft hate PSN / XBLA and such platforms with a passion. I fear people might think the game isn't of value when they'll see it's a 2D platformer. Ubisoft must not be aware of the retarded mentality people have where 2D isn't just a graphic style (as it should) but also means your game is cheap, old and for kids.

Derrick01

Banned
Ranger X said:
Well then this is simply short minded of you. New Super Mario Bros Wii should have been a Wiiware title I suppose?

Yes and I saw lots of people saying that when it came out. I rented it and still thought it was grossly overpriced after playing it. I just didn't find enough content to justify a $50 purchase.

jett

D-Member
Arnie said:
Art books and soundtracks are what should be included in collectors editions, as well as making of DVDs, not statues and flags.

How'd you know, have you played it? What makes this any less of a full price game than say Assassin's Creed? Just because it was once a downloadable game doesn't mean it's still got the same amount of content, especially considering how long it's been in development.

I guess we'll see how that price for the game flies at retail.

Bgamer90

Banned
Derrick01 said:
But...no one in this thread said anything about it being cartoony. I said I can't justify $60 for a 2D platformer and I say that because there's only so much running from side to side and jumping I can do before I get bored, and therefore I don't put $60 of value on those games. My limit for those is usually $20 at most.
It wasn't directed to people in this thread.

I just said it based on the current trend that I'm seeing as well as just what I'm seeing some say about the game.

Since we were talking about the game's "worth" I just added in my 2 cents. Plus many platformers are seen as "cartoony" anyways.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Derrick01 said:
Yes and I saw lots of people saying that when it came out. I rented it and still thought it was grossly overpriced after playing it. I just didn't find enough content to justify a $50 purchase.
Would you have liked more guns in it?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Derrick01 said:
AHAHAHA the best 2D Mario game ever didn't have content to justify a 50 purchase??? GTFO, you are mad...

Also, you NEED four Wii controllers and bringing some friends, that game is FUCKING AWESOME in MP.

I don't understand why people are complaining about a retail release; the game looks AMAZING!

Takao

Banned
manueldelalas said:
AHAHAHA the best 2D Mario game ever didn't have content to justify a 50 purchase??? GTFO, you are mad...

Also, you NEED four Wii controllers and bringing some friends, that game is FUCKING AWESOME in MP.

I don't understand why people are complaining about a retail release; the game looks AMAZING!

Don't be stupid. NSMB Wii features weak level design, uninspired graphics, and little memorable music.

Takao said:
Don't be stupid. NSMB Wii features weak level design, uninspired graphics, and little memorable music.

I wouldn't say all of that, but yea "best 2d mario game ever" is a huge stretch.

Also while I can understand not buying a certain genre at full price/day 1 ( personally I'm avoiding getting Racing,Sports and FPSes), I'd still wait and see the size of a game before deeming that it should have been a download title.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
DoomXploder7 said:
I wouldn't say all of that, but yea "best 2d mario game ever" is a huge stretch.
It's better than SMB3 IMO, and that was my top 1 2D Mario before. The MP makes it the best.

Anyone who says level design was weak, clearly doesn't know what he is talking about, and is obviously trolling, so there is no need to answer that.

Takao

Banned
manueldelalas said:
Anyone who says level design was weak, clearly doesn't know what he is talking about, and is obviously trolling, so there is no need to answer that.

The game's insanely easy, and offers little in the way of challenge, just like the DS game. I blame that on the level design.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
theBishop said:
Gah, well that's dumb. Not even online?
No multiplayer at all for both handheld versions, so was I told by a Ubisoft developer at Gamescom.

pakkit

Banned
I think a lot of gamers here haven't played full-fledged platformers this gen (probably since a lot of it is on Wii). But man, this price point argument got stale a long time ago.

Yoshi

Snuggler said:
I'm more than willing to drop $60 on this if it has content and replayability to justify it. My greatest concern is that it'll be very easy and shallow like most of Ubisoft's current gen games, which tends to kill replay value. I hope it plays as good as it looks!
It definitely is not easy. It was really challenging at Gamescom, albeit staying fair. It seems to bit about as challenging as DKCR, except maybe for time attack (I have only played one time attack level once at Gamescom, time attack seemed difficult, but nowhere near as difficult as some of the harder DKCR gold or even shiny gold times).

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Takao said:
The game's insanely easy, and offers little in the way of challenge, just like the DS game. I blame that on the level design.
Now I know you are just trolling and have never played the game. As easy as the shitty DS NSMB??
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

No challenge??
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Getting a lot of 1ups doesn't mean the game doesn't offer any challenge... The game is no Prinny, but it is a thousand times harder than the DS one, much harder than previous Mario games too...

OT, has any one played the 3DS version? how is the 3D done? I've heard bad things about Rayman 3D...

Takao

Banned
manueldelalas said:
Getting a lot of 1ups doesn't mean the game doesn't offer any challenge... The game is no Prinny, but it is a thousand times harder than the DS one, much harder than previous Mario games too...

This is how I know you're 12 years old (the immature remarks being a warning sign): You've clearly never played SMB2/The Lost Levels.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah NSMB was insanely easy, I don't remember having any kind of decent challenge until the last world. That didn't help my thoughts on the game and its price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I found NSMBWii to be very easy and it was my first 2D Mario game since Yoshi's Island on the SNES. "Fun" is most certainly an adjective I would use to the describe the game, but conversely "challenging" is not. The appeal of the game lies nowhere in its difficulty and wholly in the unifying and generally joyful experience of simply playing.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Takao said:
This is how I know you're 12 years old (the immature remarks being a warning sign): You've clearly never played SMB2/The Lost Levels.
I played them on the NES, and while both are harder; SMB2 is as much of a Mario game as Zelda 2 is a Zelda game; both games rightly deserve to be in the series, both are awesome, but both are also very different from the steps the series followed in the future.

Lost Levels is a low level hack of SMB1, it sucked then, it sucks now and it will continue to suck in the future; the original team didn't even work on that game; and that game has SERIOUS issues of level design. That is as much of a Mario game as Zelda CDi are Zelda games.

I'm still convinced you have never played through NSMB Wii, because your statements make no fucking sense.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yoshi said:
It definitely is not easy. It was really challenging at Gamescom, albeit staying fair. It seems to bit about as challenging as DKCR, except maybe for time attack (I have only played one time attack level once at Gamescom, time attack seemed difficult, but nowhere near as difficult as some of the harder DKCR gold or even shiny gold times).

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance. This is a must-buy for me.

Lijik

Hope this comes to the US, will buy.

Takao said:
I found it more difficult than 3 personally, and I do have to agree with manueldelalas that most people I know who complained about the difficulty went ahead and got themselves 99 lives at a life farming spot the second they could. But its certainly not as hard as, say, DKCR.

Now this on the other hand:

manueldelalas said:
I played them on the NES, and while both are harder; SMB2 is as much of a Mario game as Zelda 2 is a Zelda game; both games rightly deserve to be in the series, both are awesome, but both are also very different from the steps the series followed in the future.

Lost Levels is a low level hack of SMB1, it sucked then, it sucks now and it will continue to suck in the future; the original team didn't even work on that game; and that game has SERIOUS issues of level design. That is as much of a Mario game as Zelda CDi are Zelda games.
This is all crazy talk from a crazy man. Especially the Lost Levels bit. Good lord.

Shiggy

manueldelalas said:
OT, has any one played the 3DS version? how is the 3D done? I've heard bad things about Rayman 3D...

It wasn't very far and we haven't seen anything of it. Thus nobody but Ubi knows right now.

NSMB Wii easy? I think it was much harder than either SMW or NSMB DS - I was able to finish both, but not NSMB Wii (well, I did finish it in multiplayer). I think it depends on the player - other people thought SMG2 was hard, I thought it was really easy.

Worlds 8 and 9 (oh God) in NSMBWii are not what I would call easy.

The entire game becomes much more difficult when you go for all the Star Coins.

Also, do any versions of Rayman Origins have online play? I thought it was only 4 player local?

EDIT: NSMBWii has some fantastic level design.

you know, before we talk about it's value at retail, shouldn't we talk about how much content in the game first? as far as I know, most downloadable 2d games are short and only have a few level/mission, hence the $15-$20 price. isn't 2D Mario game have lots of levels and enough secrets in it for replay.

is there any media of rayman origins on the wii? that's the only console i have at the moment. since it's all 2D, you might think that it'll look just as good as the other versions, just not in hd.... right?

oh yeah, i haven't played nsmbwii yet, but donkey kong country returns is worth every penny of that full price.

manueldelalas said:

agreed

Shiggy

Jaded Alyx said:

Also, do any versions of Rayman Origins have online play? I thought it was only 4 player local?

EDIT: NSMBWii has some fantastic level design.

Local only.

Alrus

Takao said:

I'm sorry but that's complete bullshit (have you played the latter levels and tried to get all the star coins?). I agree that the music is meh though.

RedSwirl

Shit this is coming out this year?! Come to think of it I never actually played mainline Rayman games before. What are the best versions of Rayman and Rayman 2? Is 3 worth it?

plc268

Callibretto said:
you know, before we talk about it's value at retail, shouldn't we talk about how much content in the game first? as far as I know, most downloadable 2d games are short and only have a few level/mission, hence the $15-$20 price. isn't 2D Mario game have lots of levels and enough secrets in it for replay.

It's not even so much of that. A lot of the $60 games now aren't even really worth it at that price. If Rayman Origins released at $30 or even $40, a majority of people probably wouldn't bat an eye.

It doesn't always have to be either $15 or $60.

Lijik

RedSwirl said:
Shit this is coming out this year?! Come to think of it I never actually played mainline Rayman games before. What are the best versions of Rayman and Rayman 2? Is 3 worth it?
I forgot the best versions of 1 and 2 (but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Dreamcast is the best version of 2) but I think 3 is worth it if you can find it for cheap.
Its short, not really that difficult, the levels are pretty, and sometimes its pretty darn funny.
However, its more of an action game so the level design is broken up into small scenarios instead of long stretches of traversal like Rayman 2. Which is dumb because much like the 3D PoP games, combat is the worst part of the 3d Rayman games.

Jaded Alyx said:
As I thought.

I wonder where the outrage about this is? Or does it only apply to Nintendo and NSMBWii?
I think theres a lack of outrage, because if the "I didnt know this was 4 players" or "Guys check out this HOT SCOOP, I heard it has FOUR PLAYER CO-OP!" esque posts that have popped up in just about every Rayman thread are any indication, most people don't even know about the multiplayer.

RedSwirl

Lijik said:
I forgot the best versions of 1 and 2 (but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Dreamcast is the best version of 2) but I think 3 is worth it if you can find it for cheap.
Its short, not really that difficult, the levels are pretty, and sometimes its pretty darn funny.
However, its more of an action game so the level design is broken up into small scenarios instead of long stretches of traversal like Rayman 2. Which is dumb because much like the 3D PoP games, combat is the worst part of the 3d Rayman games.

Apparently all three are on GOG for $5 each. Would those be a good deal if I could get 360 pad support?

Lijik

RedSwirl said:
Apparently all three are on GOG for $5 each. Would those be a good deal if I could get 360 pad support?
Thats a pretty good deal, you might want to check into how reliable the GOG version of Rayman 2 is before you buy though.
I mean its GOG so I trust them, but I've never had a game that didn't want itself to be played more than my PC copy of Rayman 2.

plc268 said:
It's not even so much of that. A lot of the $60 games now aren't even really worth it at that price. If Rayman Origins released at $30 or even $40, a majority of people probably wouldn't bat an eye.

It doesn't always have to be either $15 or $60.

Yeah, we can use Gunstringer as an example of this. It was supposed to be a downloadable game. But, they added more content and released it as a disc game. They only charged $40 for it and threw in a free copy of Fruit Ninja. Maybe Rayman added so much content that it is now worth $60. I really don't know. The game was delayed about 1 year from when it was originally supposed to come out, so that is entirely possible.

Jaded Alyx said:

The same could also be said about NSMB DS. Not counting World 9, I died a lot less often in NSMB Wii than I did in NSMB DS. Neither game is all that difficult, but I don't see how that should factor in to how much you're willing to pay for it, considering people pay $60 for Call of Duty games whose missions can be completed without firing a single shot.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm glad that this game comes out for retail. It has been ages since i've seen a 2D platformer game coming out for retail (at least on console, and 2.5D doesnt count in this case :)).

gdt

RedSwirl said:

Rayman 2 works with a pad. BUT, camera control is X and Y. Yes.

Edit: DKCR is AMAZING. Fully worth the retail price. Hope this is too.

jonno394

For £79.99 the UK version better come with more than just what the french release has. I'm thinking a Rayman or Globox statue.

Yoshi

RedSwirl said:
1: Saturn is very good, but I've never played PS1 version. Out of Jaguar, PC, GBC, GBA and Saturn, it's the best though.
2: Dreamcast, but 3DS is damn near as good. When played in 2D you won't be able to notice the difference, so that version will do it, too.
3: Not nearly as good as the first, let alone the second game, but it's nice nevertheless. I'd go for the GameCube version here.

Top Bottom