• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins: New 2D Rayman game [U-CONF]

zweifuss

It looks like they used the same animation techniques as the Odin Sphere games. Nice to see them return to 2d, and mix the two worlds. I was always disappointed that they rebooted the series for the 2nd game, looks like this time they are mixing both worlds together.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
kame-sennin said:
"Aside from the only AAA 2D platformer, which is on it's way to selling 20 million, how well have any of the others sold?"

I have a red mark on my forehead from slapping it so hard.
Right, but my point is that even other first party Nintendo quality platformers (Wario Land) don't sell that well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pennywise83 said:
If this don't come also for the Wii (which is the best platform for 2D-3D platformers) the guys at Ubisoft are absolutely insane.
I don't want them to compromise the game for the Wii so I'm happy to hear that they value the project more than the dollar signs (though both are necessary in the end, of course). :D

Link Man

Banned
Pennywise83 said:
If this don't come also for the Wii (which is the best platform for 2D-3D platformers) the guys at Ubisoft are absolutely insane.
If Bionic Commando isn't released for Wii (the pointer controls would be a perfect fit!), Capcom is insane!

/nostalgia

The_Technomancer said:
Right, but my point is that even other first party Nintendo quality platformers (Wario Land) don't sell that well.

Wario is more of a scavenger hunt game though, isn't it? As far as I know, Nintendo only put out two 2D platformers and Wario Land wasn't as mainstream in terms of game design. It's also important to note that it came out before NSMB. Sometimes the market needs a big game to make a splash before smaller games in the same genre can be successful.

The Technomancer

kame-sennin said:
Wario is more of a scavenger hunt game though, isn't it? As far as I know, Nintendo only put out two 2D platformers and Wario Land wasn't as mainstream in terms of game design. It's also important to note that it came out before NSMB. Sometimes the market needs a big game to make a splash before smaller games in the same genre can be successful.
Fair enough. And I will agree that almost all the other major efforts this gen have definitely been niche or mediocre.
Actually, it would be really interesting to see, if Ubi gave this retail release and a major marketing push, how would it do? Rayman is definitely no Mario, or even Sonic, but he's definitly got some brand.

Also, anything else on Rabbids Time Travel? I loved Go Home, and I would kill for a similar game, but with more polish and variety.

bumpkin

You know, I've never done drugs, but I'm pretty sure that's how it looks. :lol

Still a pretty cool announcement though!

Boney

Banned
Oh my! This looks incredible! Guessing it's for the HD twins though.. when I finally break down and get one this is day one for sure.

ckohler

Someone did it. They FINALLY did it! I've been saying for years that someone should make a modern 2D platformer that used insane, hand drawn animation rather than 3D sprites and now FINALLY someone has done it. They seem to have even made a special game engine for the job (the Ubi Art Framework)!

Yes, I know Braid did something similar, but this is waaay more what I had in mind.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just a reminder that it is a-ok to speculate or discuss why developers make platform choices or how they effect game sales or target demographics or anything like that.

But if your post boils done to "fuck them it's bullshit that it's not on my favourite platform", that's not okay. It doesn't contribute to discussion, it doesn't change anything, and it comes off as bratty and entitled.

jett

D-Member
So much wrong in Ubisoft's conference...and yet so much right too!

In the end, this turned out to be a good day.

Twig

Banned
SO! Is this coming to PC? U:

Just a friendly Q. I won't be able to play it otherwise.

(Of course with Ubisoft DRM, I probably won't get to play it even if it does come to PC.)

The Technomancer

ckohler said:
Someone did it. They FINALLY did it! I've been saying for years that someone should make a modern 2D platformer that used insane, hand drawn animation rather than 3D sprites and now FINALLY someone has done it. They seem to have even made a special game engine for the job (the Ubi Art Framework)!

Yes, I know Braid did something similar, but this is waaay more what I had in mind.
*cough*
946578_20080923_790screen014.jpg

Jus' sayin ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
best announcement of the show so far. the game looks like it has so much potential.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, just found out about this. The trailer was great, the game is gorgeous.
Hopefully it'll be available on one of the systems I own.
Damn, though, what a nice surprise.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:
Just a reminder that it is a-ok to speculate or discuss why developers make platform choices or how they effect game sales or target demographics or anything like that.

But if your post boils done to "fuck them it's bullshit that it's not on my favourite platform", that's not okay. It doesn't contribute to discussion, it doesn't change anything, and it comes off as bratty and entitled.
this is a great policy. much better than the old Epic Mickey styled "say the words? BANNED".

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Superb :O
I'd loved for the animation to be up to snuff tho, similar to Wario's, since this looks more like flash based games/Behemot's Castle Crashers...

The Technomancer

Well there are always valid arguments why something isn't on a platform. Usually something is exclusively on Wii because either they feel the market for the game is more on that console or they can't afford the exorbitant development costs required to make a competitive game on the PS360 retail market. And usually something is exclusively on the PS360 because they feel that the market for that game is more on those consoles, or they have a massive budget for a project like Assasins Creed 2, and they want to make use of the best hardware available.

Something like this however, makes perfect sense on all three systems. Its clearly not graphically intensive, so theres no reason it couldn't be on all three, and where the nostalgia and retro gaming market exists on the PSN/XBLA, the more mascot, colorful and platformer friendly market exists on Wii. I could see it doing well everywhere. Sure, the Wii version would be gimped in the resolution department, but there's absolutely no reason that would take away from the PS360 versions.

So yeah, I hope its on Wii as well

Looks great, but still like one of the prettiest Flash games ever made. :lol at people claiming that the team behind this isn't cutting any corners on animation.

Alex

distantmantra said:
Why is that?

Well, it probably is when it's all you have.

But for the rest of us, we'll just have to suffer with our HD 2D and online co-op!

No seriously, I mean, it'd be nice if the game went to Wii, and it'd fit in with other nice titles like the Klonoa remake and Boy and his Blob, but better? You'd have to make some weird stretches for that.

The Technomancer

Alex said:
Well, it probably is when it's all you have.

But for the rest of us, we'll just have to suffer with our HD 2D and online co-op!
Well it'll be nice for you PS360 owners, since all you have is gritty dudebro shooters, amirite?

Eh, it wouldn't necessarily be a better game on Wii, but I can see the argument that it would do better sales-wise on there.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
A pleasant surprise at the Ubi conference. Loved the look of the game and the humor is pretty nice.

Since it could be in episodes and potentially too big for WiiWare's size limit (debatable, since Sonic 4 is on WiiWare in the same form), perhaps they could make a Wii retail compilation after it's concluded.

Look at Rabbids 1, Rayman was the central character, and the game still did really well on the Wii, but obviously the Rabbids became popular and thus the Rabbids sub-series began, but Rayman was the central character in the original, so why would it all of the sudden seem like he wouldn't do really well on it? So maybe a retail compilation would grab a lot of attention from the already established and the semi-new Rabbids crowd, hell why would people all of the sudden think Rayman and the Rabbids are two different things now? Get what I'm saying?

Maybe Rabbids 1 did so well was due to it being a launch title?

traveler

Not Wario
Looks absolutely fantastic. Easily the best part of the show thus far. I'm sorry to say that I've never played a Rayman game before (even being a big fan of platformers) but I hope to remedy that as soon as the first episode of this hits. If they rereleased the old titles in a HD remix style (or even SD if they went Wiiware) to lead up to the release of origins,I'd love to try those too.

As far as platforms go, if they're not leveraging the unique controller capabilities of the Wii, (i.e. its one real advantage) I don't see why they wouldn't go HD exclusive. It seems unfair to Wii-only owners (and, granted, the Wii has been the platform for platformers thus far this gen so if there are any one console platformer fans, my guess is that that's where they'd be.) but I don't see why they should aim for it when they could give the visuals that much more oomph on another platform. (All this is assuming they lack the assets to simply do two versions) Of course, the classic controller is arguably the best controller for 2D games out there, so maybe that should factor into the decision and the Wii should get it after all.

Lijik said:
Im not sure why they would be when even the team themselves admits they are very small and cutting corners is a necessity

They just don't have the manpower to port it down right now.

Yeah, I'm not hating on the team; I was mainly responding to ckohler's post asserting that the game is using "insane, hand drawn" animation, when it's obvious from the trailer that it's using shortcuts like segmented multi-sprite characters, scaling, rotation, and (possibly) vector animation to keep the number of actual, distinct frames fairly low. I suppose I should have just quoted him.

Actually, have there been any recent hi-res sprite-based side-scrollers, other than Wario Land, that haven't made significant use of the shortcuts in question?

Top Bottom