• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins: New 2D Rayman game [U-CONF]

MNC

I just realized it's probably going to be co-op gameplay.

Edit: And the wink to the photostand thing :lol

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yay this! I'm so happy ;_; 2d platformers returning left and right... Good times!

Bu bu bu... BG&E2? :|

Brera

Banned
This is news definantely the best news I've heard so far!

This game looks amazing! How a nextgen Platformer should be! Well done for Ubi to have the courage to make a game like this. The art style is amazing and very Ghibli!

Big fan of the original as well!

Love it! Day one!

It looks promising (love the painterly textures, not so crazy about the flash style animation), but I have to give a big WTF to Ubi. All those fucking Wii spin-offs and then they finally go and do proper Rayman as a download title for the HD consoles. It's a perfect expression about where publisher's heads are at this generation. Same goes for the whole 2D = digital distribution thing. Still, if the price and amount of content are right I'll probably bite when this comes out.

seat said:
Welp, ya missed out on two of the best games ever made, buck-o.

Like I said I'm looking forward to this game despite the look. I expect it'll probably win me over once I actually play it.
i posted just as much earlier in this thread, and if i had a ps3 or if rayman 1 was on xbla i would have played the shit out of it by now. your perception of the artstyle is clouded with nostalgia, however, and to expect anything but vector graphics is pure whimsy. be thankful it isn't using 3d models.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I didn't notice it would be episodic earlier, I wish it wasn't. Hopefully Ubisoft doesn't screw this up.

jj984jj said:
I didn't notice it would be episodic earlier, I wish it wasn't. Hopefully Ubisoft doesn't screw this up.

I doubt they will. Michel Ancel's working on this. Not some lame Ubisoft Montreal shit or something.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Discotheque said:
I doubt they will. Michel Ancel's working on this. Not some lame Ubisoft Montreal shit or something.
Ancel I trust, but Ubisoft could still screw up the structure/pricing.

Salsa

ancel-200.jpg

This has been the first e3 announcement to get me excited. Seriously. Slight chills.

LOVE the art style, animation, attitude, gameplay; everything. Rayman 1 (PC) was one of the most memorable games I've ever played and one of the few games I've ever logged 100% completion on.

I can only see Ubisoft's new framework leading to more great HD 2D games, which might be the best news of E3 2010.

JoRu

Neo Member
Looks absolutely stunning. I think it's a shame that it'll be episodic though, I just want one heck of a platformer that I can play from beginning to end without having to wait for more content to arrive. I'd rather wait a year but get all of it at once than getting one part this fall, and the other ones later.

lljride

Looks totally cool and took me by surprise, I was barely able to last through the abomination of the rest of the Ubisoft conference. Love me some 2D Rayman.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The_Technomancer said:
*cough*
946578_20080923_790screen014.jpg

Jus' sayin ;)
Actually, while that Wario game did look pretty nice, I always thought it had a very angular, boxy look to it. The character sprites were great, but the backgrounds were dull. Furthermore, not only was it on the Wii and limited to a low resolution, but it was framed in 4:3.

The new 2D Rayman looks significantly better. Huge art assets that aren't simply tiled together in a boxy fashion and full 16:9 HD presentation make a big difference.

Chao

Been playing original EarthWorm Jim lately. I really hate these flash games. As gorgeous as it could look on screens, the animation interpolation is fucking terrible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rez said:
this is a great policy. much better than the old Epic Mickey styled "say the words? BANNED".

jett said:
Hopefully the other mods have been informed of that policy change. :p

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but the thing with the Epic Mickey thread was that it was such a shitstorm and the discussion was derailed so badly and so many warnings (and dead bodies) were posted that at some point, I think things became a little more indiscriminate.

Regardless of any one individual thread, I know that the "port begging" policy was always anchored around the objective of ensuring that threads end up being discussions about games rather than pissing matches about platform and anyone whose posts contribute to the former rather than the latter.

Kilrogg's post here, for example, would be considered the kind of post that we don't want:
Kilrogg said:
Episodic AND no Wii version because of "artistic vision".

I see it's still about shitting on consumers and pleasing yourselves then. Fuck that shit. The game would still look great in 480i.

Something like RevoDS would also be a post that doesn't contribute anything:
RevoDS said:
WTF, no Wii release, how dumb can Ubi be? This game is like tailor-made for the Wii, yet they ignore it entirely?

A lot of posts in this thread are okay because the platforms haven't really been confirmed although that Ubi-art Q&A seems to imply PSN, XBLA, and PC. I would hope that subsequent threads about this game won't be 50% people expressing disappointment about the platform choice. I hope that clarifies everything.

CassSept

Looks amazing, graphics are really impressive. It's great to have true Rayman back (and Globox along with him :D ), with Rabbids having been split into other franchise.
It's a shame that it's gonna be episodic release, but the sole fact of Rayman platformer redeems it :D

mileS

I've never actually played a Rayman game before (please don't murder me GAF) but this looks so fucking beautiful I NEED to play it.

Why the hell don't we have more HD 2d games?

Macarello

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!! The original Rayman on playstation was the first game I ever played, and this is the absolute definition of what made that game so great while improving it with some the best visuals that I've ever seen in a game.

DAY FARKING ONE

CassSept

mileS said:
Why the hell don't we have more HD 2d games?
It's hard to make FPS in 2D.

Honestly though, they don't really sell that well, do they? It's true that 2D games are few and far apart, but those released didn't really rock the world of sales.
Sadly, as beautiful as 2D in HD looks, most consumers don't care about artistic side of games. Gritty, "realistic" shooters still sell best, the exception being Nintendo and sports games.

watkinzez

Snaku said:
I'm so conflicted about this game. :(

I want to loathe its existence like I do King Kong, and the Rabbids.

Think of it this way. Do you want to play a video game designed by Ancel this year, or this decade?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Best and only interesting thing from E3 so far.
I want more of these sort of games.

mileS

CassSept said:
It's hard to make FPS in 2D.

Honestly though, they don't really sell that well, do they? It's true that 2D games are few and far apart, but those released didn't really rock the world of sales.
Sadly, as beautiful as 2D in HD looks, most consumers don't care about artistic side of games. Gritty, "realistic" shooters still sell best, the exception being Nintendo and sports games.

FUCK SALES! get another job on the side developers! That or make double the 2d HD games to make up for it. DAMNIT

Top Bottom