• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins: New 2D Rayman game [U-CONF]

Alphahawk

Um guys this might spell bad news for Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Wasn't Ancel allowed to work on the project because Rayman as a platforming series was essentially over? Isn't Ancel on this?

Yeah just sayin...

Apparently he created the engine himself too. It allows for extremely small teams to make beautiful stuff like this.

I bet this will be a hit, Ubisoft takes the engine and makes a bunch of garbage with it (preferably with the lame Montreal team's help). Michel Ancel gets sad again....rinse and repeat.

Yeah, AlphaHawk. I'm also starting to think that they only let him work on this project just to shut down Beyond Good and Evil 2. God...I hate Ubisoft.

Rez said:
this is a great policy. much better than the old Epic Mickey styled "say the words? BANNED".

The vast majority of the Epic Mickey complaints boiled down to the bratty entitlement of HD console owners, so I don't see how the policy has changed.

Mar

In this thread, I learned that there are fans of the Rayman franchise.

Also, that trailer looked pretty awesome. I'm interested.

Looks incredibly genuine but I didn't see much platforming or gameplay goodness in there. I hope the next trailers will show us that he game isn't just pretty.

upandaway

I played the original Rayman so many times as a kid. Will be on lookout.

Hopefully it will have honest to god platforming again. The trailer didn't have much, but it was a bit more focused on the story so can't help it.

Do we know if it's retail? I wouldn't forgive them if it was an internet download.

traveler said:
I'm sorry to say that I've never played a Rayman game before (even being a big fan of platformers) but I hope to remedy that as soon as the first episode of this hits. If they rereleased the old titles in a HD remix style (or even SD if they went Wiiware) to lead up to the release of origins,I'd love to try those too.
i am in the same boat as you. somehow i have never tried a single entry in the series despite loving platformers. needless to say this looks amazing and i will have to check it out upon release.

warbegins said:
i am in the same boat as you. somehow i have never tried a single entry in the series despite loving platformers. needless to say this looks amazing and i will have to check it out upon release.

The original is up for like £3.50 on PSN and works on both the PSP and PS3 and still looks fantastic to this day. Perfect excuse to try it out.

Eteric Rice

dark10x said:
I don't want them to compromise the game for the Wii so I'm happy to hear that they value the project more than the dollar signs (though both are necessary in the end, of course). :D

It's a 2D game, nothing would be compromised.

As far as platforms go, if they're not leveraging the unique controller capabilities of the Wii, (i.e. its one real advantage) I don't see why they wouldn't go HD exclusive. It seems unfair to Wii-only owners (and, granted, the Wii has been the platform for platformers thus far this gen so if there are any one console platformer fans, my guess is that that's where they'd be.) but I don't see why they should aim for it when they could give the visuals that much more oomph on another platform. (All this is assuming they lack the assets to simply do two versions) Of course, the classic controller is arguably the best controller for 2D games out there, so maybe that should factor into the decision and the Wii should get it after all.

Considering this is a 2D platformer on an engine that looks like it's using flash style graphics, there's really no reason for it to not be on the Wii as well as the other platforms.

The only reason I can figure is that this will be downloadable, and they might not be able to fit it within the size restrictions.

wRATH2x

Banned
So a new Rayman game made in beautiful 2D sprites and is filled with comedy? Yeah sign me up!

I just hope we get a new 3D Rayman in the future.

brain_stew said:
The original is up for like £3.50 on PSN and works on both the PSP and PS3 and still looks fantastic to this day. Perfect excuse to try it out.
i would in an instant, provided i could afford a ps3 :(

Eteric Rice said:
It's a 2D game, nothing would be compromised.

I recently watched a 2D animated film on 1080p Blu-Ray (The Princess and the Frog) and a couple days later again at a friend's house on DVD and it felt like a HUGE compromise.

Platy

I'm the only one getting an Aquaria vibe here ?

Also ... they should make the episodes on 360/ps3 as they planed ... and if it makes the money it deserves, why not a wii/psp/ipadphone/pc compilation to expand the market ?
Stuffs like this deserves to have a wider range as possible !

Specialy pc (steam have a huge amount of plataformers and games with that "made by 5 people" vibe ) and lets not forget that the home of wario land, muramasa, nsmbw and other awesome 2d plataformers !

But if i had to choose .... even the zeebo, ps2 and my (b&w without camera) cellphone would get a version xD

<3 rayman

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I recently watched a 2D animated film on 1080p Blu-Ray (The Princess and the Frog) and a couple days later again at a friend's house on DVD and it felt like a HUGE compromise.
Yes, but they didn't have to compromise the BluRay in order to make the DVD. The Wii version would look worse, but its not like they would make it nativly for the Wii and forcibly upscale it to the PS360.

FoneBone

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I think he just means that there's no reason why HD versions would be worse because of the existence of a Wii version.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
brain_stew said:
Not true at all.
No, totally true. I highly highly doubt that this game is so processor intensive that even the Wii could not render it, so that that a Wii version would have to be built and ported to the PS360.
The only difference for a game like this is resolution, and also making a low resolution Wii version in no way adversely affects the HD versions. All the stuff running under the hood would be exactly the same, the Wii version would just be gimped visually, but you would still have the glorious high def versions on the PS360

seat

The new art style is not nearly as charming as the old one. It seems kind of bland and vector-based. But I absolutely loved the first Rayman, so I'm looking forward to this game.

The_Technomancer said:
No, totally true. I highly highly doubt that this game is so processor intensive that even the Wii could not render it, meaning that a Wii version would have to be built and ported to the PS360.
The only difference for a game like this is resolution, and also making a low resolution Wii version in no way adversely affects the HD versions. All the stuff running under the hood would be exactly the same, the Wii version would just be gimped visually, but you would still have the glorious high def versions on the PS360

That's pure speculation. Many people feel something like Braid looks like a "simple" 2D platformer, but it couldn't run on Wii level hardware. There's definitely parts of that trailer that have the potential to cause the Wii difficulties and anyway, who the hell wants to play this in 640x480 , that's completely missing the point and totally going to botch the art style.

I'd rather not see the game tarnished and ravished like that, thanks.

seat said:
The new art style is not nearly as charming as the old one. It seems kind of bland and vector-based. But I absolutely loved the first Rayman, so I'm looking forward to this game.
sounds like pixel bias to me.

if it matters, i was never interested in rayman/rayman 2 precisely because of the art

Eteric Rice

brain_stew said:
That's pure speculation. Many people feel something like Braid looks like a "simple" 2D platformer, but it couldn't run on Wii level hardware. There's definitely parts of that trailer that have the potential to cause the Wii difficulties and anyway, who the hell wants to play this in 640x480 , that's completely missing the point and totally going to botch the art style.

I'd rather not see the game tarnished and ravished like that, thanks.

The idea that anything other than the resolution would be effected is also pure speculation.

Would be nice if a dev were here to tell us one way or another.

GhaleonQ

It's very Flash-looking and is clearly the "new" Rayman, so that sucks.

...And those are basically the only 2 seemingly bad things from that trailer. *is giddy* That said, I won't buy a downloadable title, obviously.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm... I'm sorry, did I miss out on some kind on being hit by some sort of massive groupthink ray here? The backgrounds are great but the animation is very stilted and Flash-y. I don't think this looks even up to the standard of Rayman 1, visually.

And I'm definitely not a fan of the revisionist Slapstick Idiot Rayman.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wow Ubi I didn't expect anything from you, but Rayman 2d in HD + Child of Eden = winrar! Plus I have an old soft spot for Ghost Recon as well! :p

ckohler

The_Technomancer said:
*cough*

wario.jpg

Jus' sayin ;)

Wario was close but this is the first game that fully fit the picture in my head for what a modern 2D platformer should look like. It's overflowing with animation going on in the foreground and background, with a ton of parallax and of course everything is in HD.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ckohler said:
Wario was close but this is the first game that fully fit the picture in my head for what a modern 2D platformer should look like. It's overflowing with animation going on in the foreground and background, with a ton of parallax and of course everything is in HD.
Okay, seriously guys, is this a joke I wasn't let in on? What trailer are you guys watching? The one I saw looked about on par with an episode of 6teen, character animation-wise.

Cipherr

Shig said:
Okay, seriously guys, is this a joke I wasn't let in on? What trailer are you guys watching? The one I saw looked about on par with an episode of 6teen, character animation-wise.

These guys havent played any 2d games lately. It looks fantastic but people are overdoing it. Its the high res for me thats unique about its look, but its not doing anything completely over the top animation wise that we havent seen (recently even).

Im fucking pissed this is download only. I would have loved a huge ass full retail 2d side scroller in HD that I was actually interested in. But I will still play this. And the story and the humor is just fucking perfect. No exaggeration, best game showing of e3 so far.

GhaleonQ

Lijik said:
I wish Flash didnt turn into the catch-all term for "limited animation", but I guess it can't be helped.

Er, "limited animation" is not the term you wanted there, since that's even broader than "Flash-looking." It certainly wasn't UPA- or Jay Ward-style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q41tkJbAQU Tell me what 0:31-0:33, forced perspective on the enemies, and moving-but-not-animated pieces designed to form characters resemble more. Granted, it's not Flash, because there's actually some animation on a few of the characters (1:11-1:13), but I'm spot-on.

And, yeah, no idea what Chris means there. There's barely any background animation, it's sparse in a bad way, and what's animated are just art pieces moving back-and-forth.

seat

warbegins said:
sounds like pixel bias to me.

if it matters, i was never interested in rayman/rayman 2 precisely because of the art
Welp, ya missed out on two of the best games ever made, buck-o.

Like I said I'm looking forward to this game despite the look. I expect it'll probably win me over once I actually play it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG YES!

Best thing about Ubisoft's conference by far. It'd be nice if the Rabbids game isn't a mini-game compilation either.

Best surprise of the show to me. Anyone remotely interested in platformers should not hesitate to grab more Rayman.

hopefully no horrible drm on it

Top Bottom