• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 is insanely well made on every level. Just terrific. And it’s boring the hell out of me.

I was finishing up some other games so I just got around to finally playing RDR2 within the last week and it’s really stunning how well-made the game is. Even small things that you don’t notice right away that other games simply don’t do like corpses rotting or the realistic way the snow looks when you traverse through it. The voice acting is amazing, environments are beautiful, etc.

But I’m finding it very slow and tedious. Hunting is an absolute bore and a chore, and from what I was told it’s a major part of the game.... at least if you want to upgrade your stuff. I’m only 5-10 hours in and I already am dead bored of it already. Managing your weight and clothing and such isn’t a huge chore just yet, but I can tell it could become one. Stuff like maintaining your horses, I really have no interest in doing it. Making money in this game is extremely slow to start, I’m hoping that picks up.

Maybe I’m just burned out of open world games, I played a ton in the past year, and I should drop it and pick it back up later. I just finished Assassins’s Creed Odyssey, and spent a ton of time on it, so maybe I just need a break from an open world game before I can appreciate it.

Again, incredibly well made game, but it has not come close to sucking me in and have me jonesing to play more yet. I play about an hour and then get bored and put it away and play something else. I assume no one else here feels this way? because every person on the planet I’ve seen talk about RDR2 adored every second of playing it,
Very boring game and the controls are among the worst in a video game. Controls on the horse are just horrid.

Mato

This kind of critisism has kept me from getting the game. The game's look appeals to me greatly but the gameplay seems like a sluggish chore. Too bad, I guess.

pawel86ck

Banned
RDR2 is just a one example but many developers think their games must be complicated and realistic to be fun.

Lately I have played NFS5. It's very old and simple game compared to current NFS games, yet is much more fun to me.

Spokker

I find myself still firing it up every now and then and taking a ride out to shoot some bears and shit, but the missions were mind-numbingly boring. The whole game was either in tutorial mode or on rails.

Vawn

Banned
While overall I enjoyed the game, I echo what others said, the controls are frustrating and much of the game is just boring.

RDR2 shows that just throwing more and more money at a game won't equate to a game being more fun.

Vawn

Banned
- Get rid of your horse running into trees and throwing you off, altogether.

- Change in-town foot traversal speeds from just having to choose between walking so slow you feel like you're traversing quicksand and going full sprint where you're pushing people over and slamming open doors.

- either fix how the combat feels or just make it to where it basically auto targets enemies and just let the game's focus be on story and role-playing. Easy combat is preferable to fighting against poor controls.

Last edited:
I agree it is insanely well made on every level.

Except:
Mission structure
Controls
Combat and Cover system
Crime system
Telepathic AI cops
Pointless 3 star hunting system
Arbitrary Weapon lockout during campaign making gun shops pointless
Struggling for cash for one chapter and then money and economy system being pointless
Having nothing worthwhile to discover in the open world than random encounters
Random reassigning loadouts
Never a single instance of accomplishment, just never ending string of repetitive missions that amount to autoaim shooting a hundred enemies and then lots of meaningless cash and maybe a hit to your meaningless reputation...
And then getting a bounty because you bumped into something or defended yourself.

But other than that? Insanely well made on every level. Ahem.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I was finishing up some other games so I just got around to finally playing RDR2 within the last week and it’s really stunning how well-made the game is. Even small things that you don’t notice right away that other games simply don’t do like corpses rotting or the realistic way the snow looks when you traverse through it. The voice acting is amazing, environments are beautiful, etc.

But I’m finding it very slow and tedious. Hunting is an absolute bore and a chore, and from what I was told it’s a major part of the game.... at least if you want to upgrade your stuff. I’m only 5-10 hours in and I already am dead bored of it already. Managing your weight and clothing and such isn’t a huge chore just yet, but I can tell it could become one. Stuff like maintaining your horses, I really have no interest in doing it. Making money in this game is extremely slow to start, I’m hoping that picks up.

Maybe I’m just burned out of open world games, I played a ton in the past year, and I should drop it and pick it back up later. I just finished Assassins’s Creed Odyssey, and spent a ton of time on it, so maybe I just need a break from an open world game before I can appreciate it.

Again, incredibly well made game, but it has not come close to sucking me in and have me jonesing to play more yet. I play about an hour and then get bored and put it away and play something else. I assume no one else here feels this way? because every person on the planet I’ve seen talk about RDR2 adored every second of playing it,

One of the most boring games I've ever played. Put 6 hours into it then had to drop it, just wasnt fun.

Mexen

GAF. I love you. You know I do. But I have to confess something.
I never bought RDRII because it's too American for my tastes with respect to the level of detail.
This is about ignorance. I remember a bird watcher who got fulfilment from the game.
I'm African. A cowboy game with that much detail is something I can never relate to.
Even if I rode a horse enjoying vistas, I would be projecting.
I guess what I'm saying is that I acknowledge the greatness of this game, but I'm probably never going to play it.
One of my closest friends, he loves the game. And I love him. I felt like that needed to be mentioned.
This is also true for some Japanese games, and I'm a weeb, so please don't think it's reverse racism. It's just the truth about how I feel.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I agree it is insanely well made on every level.

Except:
Mission structure
Controls
Combat and Cover system
Crime system
Telepathic AI cops
Pointless 3 star hunting system
Arbitrary Weapon lockout during campaign making gun shops pointless
Struggling for cash for one chapter and then money and economy system being pointless
Having nothing worthwhile to discover in the open world than random encounters
Random reassigning loadouts
Never a single instance of accomplishment, just never ending string of repetitive missions that amount to autoaim shooting a hundred enemies and then lots of meaningless cash and maybe a hit to your meaningless reputation...
And then getting a bounty because you bumped into something or defended yourself.

But other than that? Insanely well made on every level. Ahem.
Yesterday when I was playing I did a mission that took me out in the middle of nowhere. Not near any towns or anything. I looted the corpse of a dead guy and I got hit with a wanted notice and then all of a sudden a minute later I see 3 red dots start inching closer to my location and it was the law.

I’m like get the fuck out of here wtf is this bullshit? They somehow knew I was here and saw me from a mile away take something from a corpse? That was lame.

I think I’m gonna finish it this time, but even on my second try is it a little better than the first time? A little.

But for the life of me I can’t see how so many people picked this as the game of the decade and one of the greatest ever. If you love open world games, there are far better ones IMO to sink your teeth into. Both more fun, more engaging, richer and more interesting worlds. And not to mention better combat.

People keep telling me the story truly drives this game so I’ll see as I play whether or not that makes the whole thing worth it.

Top Bottom