• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn unveils Deformers (PC/PS4/XB1, online/local MP, GameStop) [Previews]

Par Score

Now, I really hope the game will resonate with players looking for something different , but however it comes out at the end don’t feel sorry for us since we are having a fucking blast working hard on it. :)

Thanks for dropping in!

But be honest, you're just going after that sweet, sweet eSports money, right? Main stage Evo 2017.

Hey! :) My name is Andrea Pessino, I am the director on Deformers. I am NOT here to change the tone of the conversation or convert the skeptics, but I just wanted to contribute a couple extra bits of information. I hope it's OK.

We will support cross play everywhere they lets us. Up to 4 player split screen, 8 players total per match, with heterogeneous teams and the ability to mix couch and online players as desired. 60FPS on all platforms (except using splitscreen on some platforms). Dedicated servers all around. We are building some very unique features to encourage competitive play – a lot more will be announced later.

As for the game itself, it is really hard to communicate what the experience is like in a video (much less a screenshot). It plays and feels like its own thing. Now this is not by itself a guarantee of quality, of course, but honestly we spend insane amounts of time playing it and it’s so much fun we can’t stop even when we are just debugging it. ;) A lot of the novelty comes from the fact that the game is completely physics based – the way the characters interact with the platforms and with each other feels very tactile and immediate (a main reason why we wanted the combat to rely heavily on melee). Smashing, blasting, grabbing, stomping, parrying, etc. everything feels very connected.

We have been iterating on the core gameplay for well over a year, trying to refine the pillars of the combat: fast and frantic, easy to pickup but very layered, centered on skill, social and competitive. Everyone we have shown the game to so far has had a really fun time with it – so we are hopeful we are on the right track. :)

On a personal note: this game has been a wonderful, emotional experience for me. The original concept for it is something I have been dreaming of making for over 25 years, that’s a part of it for sure. But by FAR the biggest factor has been the spirit and determination of the team that has built itself around it – they have turned it into the most rewarding project I’ve ever worked on, personally and professionally. It’s like a crazy club of shit talking gamers spending insane amounts of time together, arguing and polishing and experimenting and playing, playing, playing... We have a so much fun coming up with the crazy and goofy stuff, looking for the most gameplay possible and just spending time together on a small project we really believe in.

Now, I really hope the game will resonate with players looking for something different , but however it comes out at the end don’t feel sorry for us since we are having a fucking blast working hard on it. :)

A huge thank you for this game. Even though i havent tried it, I wanna say that I love how you guys are trying something completely different. This game looks like no other and I'm very curious to know how the gameplay works. Variety is what gaming needs! I hope for you guys that this is the next 'rocket league'. Success!

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
Thanks for dropping in!

But be honest, you're just going after that sweet, sweet eSports money, right? Main stage Evo 2017.

I have gotten REALLY into eSports lately - I think it is awesome what has been happening and we are excited by it.

Not sure how much "sweet money" there is in it ;) but we are going to do all we can to make this game appealing to competitive players, that's for sure.

Zukkoyaki

I have gotten REALLY into eSports lately - I think it is awesome what has been happening and we are excited by it.

Not sure how much "sweet money" there is in it ;) but we are going to do all we can to make this game appealing to competitive players, that's for sure.
If I may, how long have you all been working on Deformers? Is it a more recent thing or has the idea been stewing for awhile?

At least this gives the talent there more time to find jobs elsewhere before the studio closes. They probably should have gotten on that when the order was finished though

Playsage

Thanks again for the kind words - even the ones in Italian! :D

Our studio is working on two more projects besides this one. Deformers does not mean we have given up on other kinds of games.

Got to keep trying new stuff too, know what I mean? ;)
Nice to know you guys are still going at full speed! Is something from RAD going to be at E3 this year?

Buon lavoro e buona fortuna, ragazzi!

Zia

I know that there are some very talented people over there so it's exciting to see them work on an interesting video game.

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
If I may, how long have you all been working on Deformers? Is it a more recent thing or has the idea been stewing for awhile?

Both the Eurogamer and Polygon previews go into detail there - but the short story is that it is a very old concept (like, 25+ years old) which we started exploring again as a side project (I started working on networking the physics engine in the summer of 2014 at night, as a "spare time" R&D effort), after TO shipped we had the first playable prototype and then grew slowly from there.

About 20 people on the team now.

Zukkoyaki

Both the Eurogamer and Polygon previews go into detail there - but the short story is that it is a very old concept (like, 25+ years old) which we started exploring again as a side project (I started working on networking the physics engine in the summer of 2014 at night, as a "spare time" R&D effort), after TO shipped we had the first playable prototype and then grew slowly from there.

About 20 people on the team now.
Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like things have been going well, looking forward to playing it myself!

Wow...

This could be a cool game but I know that this isn't where their heart is. They should be up there with Naughty Dog blowing us away with visually stunning, narrative driven games. Hopefully they can get back to that soon and continue where they left of with The Order.

oSoLucky

Looks really fun, this thread is embarrassing.

It's embarrassing both from people shitting on this game and shitting on The Order for no reason.

Wow...

This could be a cool game but I know that this isn't where their heart is. They should be up there with Naughty Dog blowing us away with visually stunning, narrative driven games. Hopefully they can get back to that soon and continue where they left of with The Order.

Luckily for you, and the other dozens of posters who don't do anything more than skim for 2 seconds before responding; THEY ARE working on 2 other projects concurrently, one of them supposedly a AAA new IP. Unless you think RaD is only made up of 20 people.

Luckily for you, and the other dozens of posters who don't do anything more than skim for 2 seconds before responding; THEY ARE working on 2 other projects concurrently, one of them supposedly a AAA new IP. Unless you think RaD is only made up of 20 people.
That's good. I just want them to have one more shot at that ambitious story driven title. They show a lot of potential. I understand the hate but I actually liked The Order.

nillah

Banned
It's embarrassing both from people shitting on this game and shitting on The Order for no reason.

People are shitting on the Order? Was hoping for a sequel...

GeoramA

Game looks okay, but it looks like something we've seen millions of times.

It saddens me that we'll never get a new Order. 1886 ended right when it started getting good.

Speely

Banned
Wow that looks fun as hell. Cool to see RAD branching out and staying creative. I like seeing good devs doing new takes on genres they are not known for.

Something about the way everything moves looks really satisfying to play. Pleasant surprise.

This looks cool! My local multiplayer well on PS4 is feeling a little dry. I've got some great games in that category (Rocket League, Helldivers, Towerfall) but I've really played the hell out of them. This looks like it could fit real well in that niche.

oSoLucky

I actually really dug The Order also, and I was talking about the comments like: "That 30 second video had more gameplay than all of The Order". Just nonsense. It would be a crime if that story doesn't get finished, but it's not really up to RaD at this point I guess and not really the point of this thread. There is obviously a lot of talent at the studio and I hope this project turns out well.

Novocaine

Well I really liked the PSP God of War games and I did enjoy The Order. I'm not sure what to think of this though, will keep an eye on it.

Montresor

I think Ready At Dawn should be incredibly proud - they're showing versatility with a game like this. To go from a game with a AAA budget and a serious/dark art style (The Order 1886) to a very colourful, cutesy game filled with lovable squishy characters (Deformers) is pretty impressive. Not that one type of game is better than the other - but they're showing they can handle both types, which is great.

I'm not usually into these kinds of multiplayer games but I'm really into unique, bright, and colourful art styles.

PSqueak

Banned
Wow...

Except the director of the game took their time to show up in this very thread saying otherwise?

I think Ready At Dawn should be incredibly proud - they're showing versatility with a game like this. To go from a game with a AAA budget and a serious/dark art style (The Order 1886) to a very colourful, cutesy game filled with lovable squishy characters (Deformers) is pretty impressive. Not that one type of game is better than the other - but they're showing they can handle both types, which is great.

I'm not usually into these kinds of multiplayer games but I'm really into unique, bright, and colourful art styles.

How fucking shitty is it that we have a studio finally experiments with a small side project that is a departure from their usual fare, and they'e flooded with comments like "they go from The Order to THIS?"

They should be an example for big AAA studios that should have a smaller experimental team tackling side projects concurrently with their major releases (looking at you Naughty Dog!) It's no wonder these studios don't step out of their comfort zone more often.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Looks like that XBLA marble physics games multiplayer.

Not a bad thing, had fun with that.

Of course their going to say it is. What else is he going to say?
So you're implying that he simply fabricated the part about this being a game he's dreamed of making for the last 25 years? That he added the detail of working on the prototype on his free nights because that's what he *has* to say? So there's no chance he's legitimately excited about developing this project?

Get real. Some of you are too damn cynical for logic sometimes.

Of course their going to say it is. What else is he going to say?

Yup, I bet the developers are chained to their desks at RAD praying that someone frees them from the hell of making this colorful side-project game while their talents are squandered. If you read between the lines you can see the cry for help.

So you're implying that he simply fabricated the part about this being a game he's dreamed of making for the last 25 years? That he added the detail of working on the prototype on his free nights because that's what he *has* to say? So there's no chance he's legitimately excited about developing this project?

Get real. Some of you are too damn cynical for logic sometimes.

Yup, I bet the developers are chained to their desks at RAD praying that someone frees them from the hell of making this colorful side-project game while their talents are squandered. If you read between the lines you can see the cry for help.

Well actually to be fair, I said that when I thought it was the only project they were working on. I figured they were doing something cheaper to produce and maybe less risky to possibly recoup losses from The Order. That was my initial thought.

But they are actually working on something else so we'll see if it's as ambitious as The Order was. That's what I want from them.

But I never said the game looked bad in any way, because it doesn't.

Top Bottom