• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn unveils Deformers (PC/PS4/XB1, online/local MP, GameStop) [Previews]

batbeg

Need to see more but it looked interesting and much more up my alley, and far more in accord with the developers pedigree, thank the order.

Oh so now all the people who liked the Order but were silent when the game was frequently shit on by GAF have come out of hiding to shit on a Ready At Dawn $20 colorful side project game. That's cool.

sh1fty

It's possible this is a little side project that is being developed at the same time as they are working on The Order sequel?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
who cares what 'kind' of game it is as long as it's fun?

they tried the cinematic AAA shooter and it was more or less universally agreed that they didn't do a good job of it. if they want to make a cute puzzle/battle game then who cares? maybe this is their niche. some of GAF's most beloved games have been PS+ fodder (rocket league, for instance).

MrHoot

I actually find that this looks pretty damn fun. And more interesting than the Order. I think it's cool that they're experimenting with this and I always enjoy some goofy multiplayer arcade

Gedi

Neo Member
So who do we think there 'mystery' AAA title is for? Or does that have a thread of it's own?

Something for Microsoft? Is EA Partners still a thing? Would they be done with Sony? After their work on Daxter and the success of the Ratchet reboot, maybe Sony would be on the look out for someone to do the same with Jak. Or they could just get them to work on Crash. ;)

AudioEppa

Ready At Yawn

Can't stop laughing 😂

And it's not that I even hate whatever this game is, it's just not my kind of game and I don't need a game to be bright and squishy to be considered fun, fun is subjective to how well you enjoy something. That's like when some people were saying tlou wasn't 'a fun game' I'm like what? Yeah it was. Games can be serious and fun at the same time.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Why is it sad? That kind of looks like fun.

Indeed. I wish more top devs took time between repeats of a franchise to try their hand at small side experimental stuff. You know they must be itching to do something different.

Drencrom

Let's hope Sony calls them to make The Order 2.

Why would they? It was a failure both commercially and critically.

I really don't understand people that seem so oblivious why Sony cut ties with these devs in the first place after the bomb that was Order 1886. I'm not saying anyone couldn't enjoy or like the game and would want a sequel, but how is it hard to understand that Sony was disappointed in that game and won't greenlight another title.

LiK

I can't believe this is what they're working on now. What happened to all the art assets from The Order now? Such a waste.

papo

Man this sucks. :(

I loved The Order 1886, such a beautiful game and not as bad as people make it out to be.

It just came out too late. If it remained a launch game as it was intended praises would have rained down on it and it would have been great and had a sequel expanding on it. IT was not a bad game, but the way it came out, in the time it came out people where just all over it for the wrong reasons.

pager99

It's possible this is a little side project that is being developed at the same time as they are working on The Order sequel?
That's exactly it, 20 people working on this, a.few on an occulus exclusive and rest on a aaa game,people saying sad are obvious trolls

Rur0ni

They had a shot at AAA glory.
They blew it.

Guess they've learned where their place is

4eb4f6e49dde3744298fda859b8878ef.jpg

Oh man. I couldn't believe what I was seeing either.

Hasney

Man this sucks. :(

I loved The Order 1886, such a beautiful game and not as bad as people make it out to be.

It just came out too late. If it remained a launch game as it was intended praises would have rained down on it and it would have been great and had a sequel expanding on it. IT was not a bad game, but the way it came out, in the time it came out people where just all over it for the wrong reasons.

Nah, it would have been another disappointing launch title. Like Killzone, shit to play, but better looking.

I say this as someone who really disliked The Order: That looks like it could be a lot of fun. From the OP I was expecting some cash in mobile game.

khaaan

I like it a lot and agree with the comparisons to Monkey Ball, Little Deviants, Katamari, and Splatoon. My only complaint is that the colors aren't brighter.

daveo42

Banned
Something new is cool, but not this something. Wonder if this was handled by a small team within the studio while RAD works on their next game.

Hasney

Something new is cool, but not this something. Wonder if this was handled by a small team within the studio while RAD works on their next game.

The OP really needs an update. Yes, this is separate to their Oculus game and their AAA game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I wonder if this is the next GameStop published game. RaD is a partner of GameStop's publishing arm...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Polygon really liked it after playing for a few hours. There's a lot more at the link:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/2/11835866/deformers-ready-at-dawn-ps4-xbox-one-pc-gametrust

Polygon said:
Deformers is a smash-em-up arena brawler from Ready At Dawn — and it's a blast

The next game from developer Ready At Dawn — the independent studio best known for cinematic action games like The Order: 1886 and the God of War series — is a colorful, physics-based multiplayer brawler named Deformers.

In Deformers, up to eight players can beat each other up as blobby, ugly-but-adorable creatures known as Forms. Players body slam and shoot each other in arena combat that smacks of a squishy, family-friendly Twisted Metal. It's a blast, with hints of Smash Bros., Rocket League and Splatoon, but with a unique sense of style.

During our hands-on time with Deformers, which lasted a few hours, we played free-for-all and team deathmatch modes on a variety of maps. One was a square, symmetrical arena that was built like a skate park, with curved ramps along its walls. Another map was asymmetrical and multi-tiered, not unlike a floating island one might see in a 3D platformer.

Things got more hectic when Ready At Dawn staff switched on "tilting" and dropped us onto a circular arena that rocked back and forth at 25 degree angles. Trying not to fall off while shooting, jumping and dodging was an intense experience.

Although the core gameplay of Deformers is relatively simple, its depth — and its addictive, just-one-more-game nature — is quickly apparent.

The game is all about competitive spirit, producer Alex Salcedo said. In addition to online multiplayer, Ready At Dawn promises four-player splitscreen for local and online competitive and cooperative multiplayer.

In addition to exploring soft body physics simulation development, Deformers was also an opportunity for Ready At Dawn to pursue something new for the studio: multiplayer. Pessino said the developer has plans well beyond what we saw for the game, including more power-ups, characters, arenas and gameplay modes — though the studio wants to make sure the core gameplay is simple and balanced.

"There's going to be a lot more of everything," he said.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You are correct. GameStop has a merchandizing plan for their licensed games as well and these characters fit well with that.

Sigh. More stuff to flood my store with. =p

I would love Song of the Deep stuff though.

Malawhur

It says in the eurogamer article that only 20 people are working on this. Can the OP include this info and tag this as a side project of RaD?

I would love to see a sequel to The Order 1886 (one that retains the best parts and addresses the shortcomings and disappointments, of course).

However, De-formers looks like it could be a lot of fun. Great games come in all shapes and sizes.

Freeman

Banned
Damn, they really blew it. So unfortunate. They had the technical and artistic sides sorted. They just lacked leadership by the looks of it, some producer that would better distribute their efforts and a game play director that would make a stand for more balance between narrative and gameplay.

Top Bottom