• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistic Link design by Kyle Hefley (343 Developer)

ffdgh

Finally, a Link you wanna punch in the face.
*cough*
Linkfacesofevil.jpg

GamerJM

Banned
Honestly think it looks terrible. Just doesn't mesh with the Zelda universe at all. It would only make sense for a complete series reboot, which would probably turn it into something more generic.

But this is a ''realistic Link'' thread so why should we be applying videogame logic?

I meant video game logic like carrying the large amount of stuff he does in the game considering if we was going realistic he wouldn't be(Note I was referring to the guy who posted about the inventory with part of my post) .

If realistic he wouldn't be doing his crazy spinning /lunges flipping around people doing back slices. The heaviest thing would actually be his tunic because of the chainmail underneath it which can be heavier than plate. I see no reason link has to larger than he would be in twilight princess considering he was actually quite toned in it when you see him shirtless. Now this realistic rendering is actually more lithe than twilight princess link and could be bulked up slightly if going by his legs is any indication as we can't see his arms.

With how some have reacted, you would think the developer kicked their puppy. Seriously, some in this thread have taken quite the offense.

The collective reaction to Wind Waker when it was first unveiled and Twilight Princess's 8.8 score should clue you in on some of the Zelda fanbase. The series is among my favorites, but some fans can be really insufferable.

Skinpop

The hell is wrong with some of you? Nintendo didn't just announce this model as the new Link. This is an artist's personal side project that until now has probably just been sitting in their portfolio.

This is something that someone put a lot of time into and it shows, have some modicum of respect and if you're going to shit on it at least back it up with something constructive.

this 100 times

The hell is wrong with some of you? Nintendo didn't just announce this model as the new Link. This is an artist's personal side project that until now has probably just been sitting in their portfolio.

This is something that someone put a lot of time into and it shows, have some modicum of respect and if you're going to shit on it at least back it up with something constructive.
You can put a lot of time and effort into something that doesn't end up well. I think it's mostly fine, just nothing special and with an odd face.
He's a talented modeler, at least

Skinpop

You can put a lot of time and effort into something that doesn't end up well. I think it's mostly fine, just nothing special and with an odd face.
He's a talented modeler, at least

the thing is that it's kinda nasty to dig up some artists fan-art or personal stuff and shit on it in a thread as if it was official art. especially considering it's from 2011 and probably doesn't represent the artists skill today.

I like the discussion on whether we'd like to see a realistic zelda game or not, but I find the artist-bashing to be unfair.

Nanashrew

Banned
the thing is that it's kinda nasty to dig up some artists fan-art or personal stuff and shit on it in a thread as if it was official art. especially considering it's from 2011 and probably doesn't represent the artists skill today.

I like the discussion on whether we'd like to see a realistic zelda game or not, but I find the artist-bashing to be unfair.

I'd definitely like to see them give it another shot today.

My critique of this one is the face having too many lines which makes him look older than probably intended. The clothes also don't look like they have weight or any thickness to them like the TP style that they were going for. That's really about it. I think overall it's a well made model.

I wouldn't say realistic as its still stylized, looks like they are trying to capture the feel of the concept work for Zelda Nes.

uhhhh......................

My skin is crawling here.

The artist has an amazing talent, I don't want that to go unrecognized, but this looks weird.

The Lamp

Honestly, that isn't very good.

I mean, it's a good model, but it lacks any sort of character or personality.

I would never ever want to play a Zelda game which looked like that.

It's realistic. That's the point. It looks like an adult Hylian in a ridiculous green tunic.

It's a good realistic model, and therefore not a Link I would ever want to play.

Jackano

It's good, in the sense of it's a good "professional fan art/redesign".
Would never be a suitable design for a Zelda game, thought.

It's well done but I don't like it... All I can think of when looking at that model is "cosplay" which I guess is the ultimate realism. I'm not really sure what would need to change to make it seem more appropriate.

Maybe "realistic Legend of Zelda monster designs" would be a better approach, to take the uncanny edge off of the model.
Wowser. Jaw-droppingly good stuff.

I love the Tri-Force/conflict allusions.

Kiant

I really wish people would actually justify statements like this. Because aside from looking like a realistic version of Link, there's nothing inherently wrong with the design itself from a character design perspective. THIS, is a bad design:
jaime-garcia-1newlink2.jpg

Darksiders DLC?

Let's say I am just glad that the guys over at Nintendo are in charge of the character design. Always smh over people who ask for a "realistic" depiction of Link. There are a lot of western developers creating "realistic" fantasy games and they're probably better at it too.

As for the Design in the OP: might not be bad design, but man that's not a pretty face at all.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
343 does good work, but this character model is horrendous imo. Really hope Nintendo never listen to the fans that want to turn him into something like this.

I quite like it, besides his head. I don't like his face, his ears or his hair. And the coloured version is even worse.

That Mastersword in particular, always looked like a plastic toy, but especially so, juxtaposed to a realistic looking man in a silly costume.

Yeah, it looks really silly there. Don't like it at all.

These, on the other hand, are damn gorgeous. I never knew I wanted this film until just now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I want to see Link's Uncle from LttP reimagined in his prime. He has to save his brother, who looks like standard blonde Link, who marries a purple haired maiden at the end of the game.

The best part about the Zelda re-imaginings is the lore switchups. It's why old beard Link and Steampunk Zelda-as-the-hero are the most interesting. Art style is cool and all but we've been from sprites to blocky 3D to cel shaded to more realistic and now everything in between. Use a shift in art style to make a new sort of game. (Zelda Wii U seems to be doing exactly this so hooray)

It's ok looking, too lanky for me, and not a fan of his resting bitch face.

Modern generic anime look is poison. Moving link in any direction away from the creepy "hot, young and androgynous" look can only be a good thing.

Going with an adult look and appealing more towards the majority of fans in the west is probably something they should do. Terada's Zelda art does this.

But if they're going cartoony, like Ghibli-ish is the way to go.

Top Bottom