• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistic Link design by Kyle Hefley (343 Developer)

v0yce

Stop looking at the AAA landscape if you're going to make idiotic generalizations like that.

Relax. We're discussing a design by someone from 343.

But fair enough. Western small budget/indie titles really shine in the art department probably because few go for "realism." Makes it even more disappointing that the big guys don't often deliver in those regards.

Warxard

Banned
Relax. We're discussing a design by someone from 343.

But fair enough. Western small budget/indie titles really shine in the art department probably because few go for "realism." Makes it even more disappointing that the big guys don't often deliver in those regards.

And you're arguing Halo, a game about shooting Aliens with Space Marines goes for the 'realism' approach too?

Durden77

Good job on the producer, but this just reaffirms me that "realistic" and Zelda just don't work together. Darker tones yes, but realistic, no.

Wanderer5

Reminds me of Link in that fake movie trailer heh (from IGN I believe it was?).

legend-of-zelda-mov_689773a.jpg

I kind of like the hair, but meh at the face.

PreFire

I really like the gear, his body proportions.

The Sean Penn old face? Not so much

Why does he have a bulbous witch nose?

I'm sorry, but this isn't how I imagined a real life Link in his teens would look like.

Touch the face up to make him look at least like Link in Nintendo. Idc if the person is good looking or not.. This doesn't look like Link lol.. Fucking huge nose and no lips

PreFire

Sean Penn, as Link.

VF1g00z.jpg

L7MLy7v.jpg

qtlKmpK.jpg

I did this on my phone. Could've probably found a better image of Penn but I think the resemblance is there.

Leatherface

After playing Wind Waker HD for the past few days I have to say, I'm kind of okay with Zelda never being "realistic". It would kill the charm it has.

wheeplash

If Link were to be ''realistic'' then he would be much, much more muscular.
You just can't simply go around swinging such a big fucking sword/shield combo with those scrawny ass arms and legs.

You just can't simply go around swinging such a big fucking sword/shield combo with those scrawny ass arms and legs.

Actually swords are surprisingly light even two handed swords so you don't need to be pumping iron to wield a sword effectively.

Toxi

Banned
Yes you can.

Swords aren't particularly heavy, and their weight tends to be compensated by their great balance.

If anything would be developing Link's muscles, it would be that bow.

wheeplash

Actually swords are surprisingly light even two handed swords so you don't need to be pumping iron to wield a sword effectively.

Yes you can.

Swords aren't particularly heavy, and their weight tends to be compensated by their great balance.

If anything would be developing Link's muscles, it would be that bow.

Key word Shield guys.
Also, muscles don't appear for holding stuff, but for the crazy stunts you do with them. Try following a Link Sword Rutine and let's see if your body stays the same.

Considering Link also carries large amounts of items along with quantities of items, not to mentioning riding horses along with wielding a sword proficiently he wouldn't have the proportions of the Link rendered here. The muscles wouldn't develop as lean as that.

The force to swing a sword into flesh repeatedly is quite taxing, along with use of a shield. Link wouldn't have the size of Conan or a power lifter, but the dude would be bulky no question. With strength comes mass. Triforce of courage ain't carrying his iron boots that's for sure.

Toxi

Banned
Considering Link also carries large amounts of items along with quantities of items, not to mentioning riding horses along with wielding a sword proficiently he wouldn't have the proportions of the Link rendered here. The muscles wouldn't develop as lean as that.

The force to swing a sword into flesh repeatedly is quite taxing, along with use of a shield. Link wouldn't have the size of Conan or a power lifter, but the dude would be bulky no question. With strength comes mass. Triforce of courage ain't carrying his iron boots that's for sure.
The moment you think about item weight in Zelda, the moment you run into the problem of why the iron boots only weigh Link down when he's wearing them.

Key word Shield guys.
Also, muscles don't appear for holding stuff, but for the crazy stunts you do with them. Try following a Link Sword Rutine and let's see if your body stays the same.

Ok but I wasn't applying video game logic considering nobody should be using a sword like Link does. He would be a brute if we account for him carrying heavy iron boots not to mention a large assortment of head size bombs and hundreds of rupees half his size.

Kalentan

With how some have reacted, you would think the developer kicked their puppy. Seriously, some in this thread have taken quite the offense.

wheeplash

Ok but I wasn't applying video game logic considering nobody should be using a sword like Link does. He would be a brute if we account for him carrying heavy iron boots not to mention a large assortment of head size bombs and hundreds of rupees half his size.

But this is a ''realistic Link'' thread so why should we be applying videogame logic?

The moment you think about item weight in Zelda, the moment you run into the problem of why the iron boots only weigh Link down when he's wearing them.

It was a jab at an old Zelda non-issue. The rest of my argument is valid. We are discussing the merits of this "Realistic" Link render, and I'm of the inclination that if Link was depicted realistically his physique would mirror his lifestyle, which this rendition does not.

We are discussing how a fictional character would look if real when his world relies heavy on magic and the supernatural. Dude can look however he wants at the end of the day.

Goron2000

best junior ever
The hell is wrong with some of you? Nintendo didn't just announce this model as the new Link. This is an artist's personal side project that until now has probably just been sitting in their portfolio.

This is something that someone put a lot of time into and it shows, have some modicum of respect and if you're going to shit on it at least back it up with something constructive.

Top Bottom