• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Ash The Kalkanon Incident (PS4/XB1) development to proceed with Fuze Etertainme

Axass

Yeah.

I'm torn 50/50 between "Let's just make this Kickstarter and people will throw money at us!" and "This project will already happen due to these funds this company gave us, but let's just make a Kickstarter campaign full of bizarre stretch goals and dry those suckers dry anyway!", though.

The bolded was my impression frankly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
let the rabbit hole go deeper.
That seems to be only a domain registrar thing though? It's like saying Normal Site X is shady because they use GoDaddy to register their domain which is also used by <scam site Y>...?

Edit: yup, see here:
I know that this is 1 and a half years old, but it needs to be corrected as other people are using this factually incorrect and unsubstantiated comment as fact.

HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD. are a registrar and webhosting company - they do not own the domains that are registered through them and have no control over the content that the actual owners put on them. As they are the major Chinese host/registrar, they are going to have a large number of domains registered through them and some of those will be fraudulent, but the same can be said for any large US, UK, etc. based registrar. To blindly state that any site registered by them is a scam, as REPORTFRAUDCOMPANIES is totally incorrect and should be ignored.

I mean yeah Fuze looks silly and possibly shady, but their domain name registrar isn't the reason why. Let's not jerk those knees too hard, hmm?

Caffeine

That seems to be only a domain registrar thing though? It's like saying Normal Site X is shady because they use GoDaddy to register their domain which is also used by <scam site Y>...?

yea its true the fact that the registrar may have been used to register some fraudulent domains isn't really sufficient proof but its something to keep an eye open for.

I mean yeah Fuze looks silly and possibly shady, but their domain name registrar isn't the reason why. Let's not jerk those knees too hard, hmm?

yea we will just have to wait and see if this all actually pans out.

So Inafune couldn't even convince one of the lesser publishers like Deep Silver to fund his game? This Fuze deal is all kinds of weird. Their Android console looks like vaporware. I'm questioning if they even have the money to fund a videogame.

Exactly. There has to be a self serving reason why Fuze jumped on this because just a glance at them reveals that they are not a publisher. My guess is that their company is swirling the bowl, they're using whatever little funds and [more likely] credit they have left to back Red Ash and they'll use the publicity from it to scout for more VC funding.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Kickstarter received several high paying phantom backers on its last day.

It might be happening already. As twothunder reports, they're losing money fast, and Kicktraq will show a negative balance when they lose money. But it's not in the negative. Something is keeping them up.

let the rabbit hole go deeper.

That's not the same website we've been looking at.

The report you have is for fuzegame.com the one that is supposedly backing Red Ash is fuzegame.tv

I don't know how related the two sites are. They use the same logo, but if one is a scam then a copy and paste job seems likely. The ".com" is another dx knock off so no surprise there that someone's saying they're a fraud and didn't deliver.

fuze7.jpg

hehehehehe

Usually on a Kickstarter with this kind of pedigree, you can refresh the page and see the money going up...don't remember the last time I could sit and watch it go down.

junpei

That's only half the story.

A good dev team can do wonders in two weeks using a 'best for prototyping' engine as Unity.

What this demo shows is:

-Bad plan and timing
-lack of skills

Examples of such a good team doing such in similar timespan ?

Ks should pull or suspend the red ash kickstarter because it is bait and switch . I pledged 159 for the game to made and not toward unknown goals

Damo1234

Neo Member
Yes they couldn't find the money to work on a prototype until M9 release but could only find the money to fund the whole project. Makes total sense.

FUZE only contacted Comcept about making the game after the kickstarter started.

China's ban on consoles only just lifted. FUZE is trying to hit the ground running by lining up something for the console they want to make, and they're willing to fund it for other consoles (presumably thinking that the other consoles won't be threats to them in their home market).

The fact that Comcept got funding for the whole project is bizarre, not the fact that they couldn't find money to work on a prototype until MN9s release.

It might be happening already. As twothunder reports, they're losing money fast, and Kicktraq will show a negative balance when they lose money. But it's not in the negative. Something is keeping them up.

They're losing money while gaining more backers. People who pledged large sums are pulling out, while the money isn't plummeting as much as might be expected because they're gaining morbidly curious backers making small pledges.

negative.png

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
FUZE only contacted Comcept about making the game after the kickstarter started.

China's ban on consoles only just lifted. FUZE is trying to hit the ground running by lining up something for the console they want to make, and they're willing to fund it for other consoles (presumably thinking that the other consoles won't be threats to them in their home market).

The fact that Comcept got funding for the whole project is bizarre, not the fact that they couldn't find money to work on a prototype until MN9s release.
Sorry but I don't really agree with that. It's not about the timing it's about them being able to get this deal in the first place.This + the movie deals + them being so sure about being able to make the main game it pretty much shows that Inafune has the ability to get the funding without kickstarter and sure arguably even if getting the whole sum was uncertain(although it doesn't really seem like that to me) I pretty much have no reason to believe that Inafune couldn't scrape together the money to work on a convincing prototype until M9 releases and then ask for money in earnest. I see nothing bizarre about them being able to get that deal when they've shown us that they can get deals for a variety of stuff already.

As it stands this whole thing was just in incredibly bad taste.

Damo1234

Neo Member
Sorry but I don't really agree with that. It's not about the timing it's about them being able to get this deal in the first place.This + the movie deals + them being so sure about being able to make the main game it pretty much shows that Inafune has the ability to get the funding without kickstarter and sure arguably even if getting the whole sum was uncertain(although it doesn't really seem like that to me) I pretty much have no reason to believe that Inafune couldn't scrape together the money to work on a convincing prototype until M9 releases and then ask for money in earnest. I see nothing bizarre about them being able to get that deal when they've shown us that they can get deals for a variety of stuff already.

As it stands this whole thing was just in incredibly bad taste.

The "movie deal" is for something direct to digital, live action. It's the equivalent of a made-for-TV movie. There's just no way they made much money on that, and while they could have spent it just on a Red Ash pitch, it makes more sense to spread it around to many different pitches.

The pitch they did make was a crude animatic with voice actors. It wasn't remotely what was needed, but it would have cost a fair amount. They spent money, they just spent it badly.

That said, I'd still argue that this idea that having a "convincing prototype" is necessary for kickstarter is ugly and bizarre. Yes, Yooka Laylee had one and it was lovely. Many successful kickstarters hadn't. Bloodstained had nothing but IGA walking around on a movie set (a waste of money that could have been spent on game content, IMHO). Among the many blunders of this campaign, I don't think that one of them was that they had no protoype to show.

The FUZE funding is downright bizarre. They are very very far from an ideal investor. They're weird, dude.They're the weirdest investors this side of an Ed Wood production. A Chinese company that wants to make consoles showed up after the kickstarter had started, saying that they'll fund the game (including for consoles other than their own) because they want to have something lined up for their "revolutionary" new console now that the ban on consoles in China is over. I really don't think it's fair to point at something that bizarro and conclude that Inafune could have gotten traditional funding all along. Maybe, but the FUZE deal is frankly NOT what "traditional funding" traditionally looks like.

I'm more inclined to think they went in with good intentions but terrible planning, dug themselves deeper a few times, and were in panic mode when a frankly peculiar investor showed up with an offer they couldn't refuse.

We're very sorry to say that the revised goals aren't ready to announce yet!

Rest assured, they will be announced soon! And definitely before the end of the campaign, so you'll know where your money is going.

How the fuck do they think this is going to work out

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The "movie deal" is for something direct to digital, live action. It's the equivalent of a made-for-TV movie. There's just no way they made much money on that, and while they could have spent it just on a Red Ash pitch, it makes more sense to spread it around to many different pitches.

The pitch they did make was a crude animatic with voice actors. It wasn't remotely what was needed, but it would have cost a fair amount. They spent money, they just spent it badly.

That said, I'd still argue that this idea that having a "convincing prototype" is necessary for kickstarter is ugly and bizarre. Yes, Yooka Laylee had one and it was lovely. Many successful kickstarters hadn't. Bloodstained had nothing but IGA walking around on a movie set (a waste of money that could have been spent on game content, IMHO). Among the many blunders of this campaign, I don't think that one of them was that they had no protoype to show.

The FUZE funding is downright bizarre. They are very very far from an ideal investor. They're weird, dude.They're the weirdest investors this side of an Ed Wood production. A Chinese company that wants to make consoles showed up after the kickstarter had started, saying that they'll fund the game (including for consoles other than their own) because they want to have something lined up for their "revolutionary" new console now that the ban on consoles in China is over. I really don't think it's fair to point at something that bizarro and conclude that Inafune could have gotten traditional funding all along. Maybe, but the FUZE deal is frankly NOT what "traditional funding" traditionally looks like.

I'm more inclined to think they went in with good intentions but terrible planning, dug themselves deeper a few times, and were in panic mode when a frankly peculiar investor showed up with an offer they couldn't refuse.

It really isn't. Kickstarter is about trust, with the way M9 went trust was squandered, it easily could be won back if the game turns out great though but right now there's not enough of it(if I judge by the numbers).

Also I never said it's something every kickstarter needs, but as it shows a confidence inspiring prototype seems to be something this kickstarter needed.
Apparently not enough people think the amount of effort/money that went into this and the material that was shown, were appropriate considering who was asking for it. And while I say prototype I don't even think it needed that. It just needed to be way more than story board scribbles and character art, cause we know how that turned out the last time. People learned from everyone telling them they only have themselves to blame they should have taken the "this concept art is not representative of the game" to heart. That's pretty much what most of them are doing right now, they need more than non representative scribbles this time. And there's really nothing ugly nor bizarre about that.

And sure if you don't think Inafune could have gotten enough funding for a prototype that's fine, I sure as hell don't believe that for a second. If you can get the whole game done for 800k and pay the team for 2 years with that you definitely can scrape together ~60k(especially if you're named Inafune) to pay the team to work for 2 months to work on stuff that's worth showing off.

In the end I think we all can look at the available information and draw our own conclusions and make a decision about this project that we all feel comfortable with ourselves. As for me I defintely don't feel comfortable backing this and as it turns out I don't need to. I can sit back and see what comes out of it, win win.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The DIGITAL COMBO COMPLETE ($79 and up) gets you not only a copy of Red Ash: The KalKanon Incident (8 hours), it will ALSO get you a digital copy of The New Order Conspiracy (12 hours, also known as the "main story" of Red Ash) upon future release.

Still promising that second game they have no funding or agreement in place for! Pity Kotaku's article didn't pick up on that. Still the by far shadiest part about the entire Kickstarter.

I really lost confidence in Inafune after I've seen how MN9 ended up like. But seeing this Kickstarter project and the bizarre stretch goals in combination with the FUZE deal, I can say that he has lost it and is making use of the nostalgic desires of the old and loyal fans.

rhandino

Banned

Rest assured, they will be announced soon! And definitely before the end of the campaign, so you'll know where your money is going.

vYn5xxN.gif

So is this the only Kickstarter that has gotten picked up by a publisher to fully fund it DURING the campaign that has not closed? Cross Reverie cancelled their Kickstarter after a publisher/outside funding came in. Weird that they dont do it here since it is improbable that they will hit $800k within 3 days.

Hell, they keep stringing along about the base goal redux now that FUZE is involved. We are 3 days out and they are still saying "we are still working on the stretch goals, hold on." This really should have failed...

Good for everyone though if thanks to FUZE's funding we get a quality title. Its just, Comcept nor other would be Kickstarter projects will learn from this mistake is my fear.

It must feel terrible to release each new update thinking this is going to turn things around but then it's just another minefield of problems. They're so out of touch. I would kill to be a fly on the wall in the planning sessions this Kickstarter is going through.

Imagine if they had a rewards tier for a "making of" documentary. That 12 minute short would get funded in a heartbeat!!

Uh, that's not happening here at all considering they won't meet their goal. That's the great safety net.

But not stopping the KS and trying to cover it up with bs and vague stretch goals does give some kind of statement about how they are doing things.

zeopower6

Uh, that's not happening here at all considering they won't meet their goal. That's the great safety net.

They are acting as though it's still happening, so I wonder if they have something planned that will give them a huge boost. :|

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Lol, not like they can do anything else if they insist with proceeding forward.

But still...

This is a death knell if there ever was one, lol.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Additionally, they're basically just writing the entire kickstarter off now.

There's no way it hits $800k in four days. They can't touch any of the money without hitting that goal. So this is just them admitting "This is a mistake but we had a contingency plan in case this fails."

Which, uh, I'm not sure any lessons were learned here.
Wait, so what was the point of the kickstarter, I mean the kickstarter was failing before and yet they manage to get a publisher, so they didnt even need a kickstarter in the first place.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wait, so what was the point of the kickstarter, I mean the kickstarter was failing before and yet they manage to get a publisher, so they didnt even need a kickstarter in the first place.

Let's be real, do you really think Comcept wanted to get into bed with Fuze?

That actually looks pretty good. Very smooth animation
It's truly beginning to look gorgeous. Though, mea culpa, I was mistaken actually. It's not going to be Kickstarter, they're going with Indiegogo like they did with Skullgirls. Regardless, this is the kind of thing that will drive crowdfunding to success: a beautiful prototype. Better yet? They're going to distribute a playable prototype to backers of the game. Even better yet? Skullgirls backers will get the prototype 5-7 days earlier. That's another thing this Red Ash campaign seems to be missing, appreciating those who have already helped you out.
...what do these two things have to do with each other?
The fact that Red Ash distributed a prototype that looked like absolute shit, and that the Skullgirls devs have a prototype that is already beginning to look better. It's a point that hearkens back to what people have mentioned with comparisons to Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee. These other games had footage, screenshots and stuff that looked really professional and the teams were well prepared for their crowdfunding campaigns. Red Ash was woefully mishandled.

Top Bottom