• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Ash The Kalkanon Incident (PS4/XB1) development to proceed with Fuze Etertainme

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the boxart leaked

kick_the_can__the_video_game_by_theiransonic-d7klwfl.jpg

I giggled way more than I should have.

Not sure on all the details of this KS controversy, but I'm just glad the game is being made (supposedly). Hopefully it'll turn out to be something good...and finally give us long suffering MML fans a glimmer of hope.

Servbot24

Banned
Well I'm glad the game is being made without my investment, since I want to play the game but have 0 faith in the level of quality we're going to get.

Castef

Banned
For a forum where everybody proclaims themselves as a gaming know-it-all I am so surprised at how the majority of GAF has no fucking idea about how games are actually developed.

Actually I agree a lot.

The level of discussions nosedived in recent months. :(

Real talk, it would take a lot to convince me "not" to fund a Battle Network clone.

I would pay up to $200 for BN7. Easily.

To hell with the Star Force games.

Likewise. The whole chip deck building and the 3x3 grid combat system made that series so appealing to me.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Real talk, it would take a lot to convince me "not" to fund a Battle Network clone.

I would pay up to $200 for BN7. Easily.

To hell with the Star Force games.

Is this attack necessary? Bickering between fans of different subseries is the worst thing about Mega Man fans.

Exactly this. Like why are you guys comparing a 2 week prototype to something that's been worked on for months as if they're even remotely equivalent?

So then why didn't they put together something better before hand? Also, lets forget how poorly this KS was run in the first place where once this was a prologue to sell a full game to publishers, but then for $50 forna day you got the full game as well, that the prologue was a full 6-8 hour game at $800k funding with additional content as stretch goals, but then official updates paint the prologue as 6-8 hours, less if stretch goals aren't hit.

This thing was something they never expected to put together and I think that's part of why people are being harsh on it. They came in expecting to be fully funded and past most stretch goals in the first week and, when that didn't happen, they have floundered grasping at whatever straws that might get them press and more funds. This, as you and others have said, rushed together prototype further supports that notion.

Jarmel

Banned
So then why didn't they put together something better before hand? Also, lets forget how poorly this KS was run in the first place where once this was a prologue to sell a full game to publishers, but then for $50 forna day you got the full game as well, that the prologue was a full 6-8 hour game at $800k funding with additional content as stretch goals, but then official updates paint the prologue as 6-8 hours, less if stretch goals aren't hit.

This thing was something they never expected to put together and I think that's part of why people are being harsh on it. They came in expecting to be fully funded and past most stretch goals in the first week and, when that didn't happen, they have floundered grasping at whatever straws that might get them press and more funds. This, as you and others have said, rushed together prototype further supports that notion.

Because shit costs money and not everybody is willing or capable to dump X amount into a project that might not see the light of day. Playtonic probably had investors helping them with their earlier prototype. That shouldn't be the standard going forward.

They definitely bungled the campaign but stuff like "Why isn't this prototype better?" feels less of a reflection on them due to dead obvious time and budget constraints, and more of one of the fans due to the public reaction.

megalowho

What a bizarre Kickstarter. Comcept we able to secure full funding from a publisher that let them keep the rights to the IP, and still wanted fans to pay for a demo/prototype? And it's not like the success of the Kickstarter was what drove the publishing deal, the campaign is a failure by all accounts.

Whatever. Whole thing feels shady. Hope a good game comes out of it in the end.

otakukidd

What a bizarre Kickstarter. Comcept we able to secure full funding from a publisher that let them keep the rights to the IP, and still wanted fans to pay for a demo/prototype? And it's not like the success of the Kickstarter was what drove the publishing deal, the campaign is a failure by all accounts.

They got the publisher after it started looking like the ks would fail. The ks was originally for a 8 hour game, not a demo or prototype.

Cmagus

Yeah the whole thing is shady. I'm glad it's getting made but I pulled my pledge and bill just buy it when it comes out.

megalowho

They got the publisher after it started looking like the ks would fail. The ks was originally for a 8 hour game, not a demo or prototype.
I believe the word they used was "prologue," it wasn't for a full game. And we don't really know when they decided to look for a publisher or what the plan was from the beginning, they only state that they've been in negotiations with partners alongside the Kickstarter to secure additional funding.

They also equate their new publisher to backers, which is pretty disingenuous. One has a publishing contract where they stand to profit, the other is a donation.

otakukidd

I believe the word they used was "prologue," it wasn't for a full game. And we don't really know when they decided to look for a publisher or what the plan was from the beginning, they only state that they've been in negotiations with partners alongside the Kickstarter to secure additional funding.

They also equate their new publisher to backers, which is pretty disingenuous. One has a publishing contract where they stand to profit, the other is a donation.

I never said full game, I said 8 hour game. Which was mentioned in the kickstarter and by people working on the game in the OT thread. It was also mentioned that it was a self contained story that has an ending in the game but leaves itself open for another game.

muteki

I've always assumed that the bigger KS campaigns have always had some amount of corporate backing, be it publicly known or not.

Definitely should be understood and disclosed before start of a campaign however.

JackelZXA

I initially misread the thread title as "Red Ash: The Kickstarter Incident" and now I feel like that's a more fitting thread title.

Is this attack necessary? Bickering between fans of different subseries is the worst thing about Mega Man fans.

Seemed tongue in cheek to me. Regardless, one of my favorite things about the entire Mega Man collective is that none of the fans of even the same series agree what the best entries are

I initially misread the thread title as "Red Ash: The Kickstarter Incident" and now I feel like that's a more fitting thread title.

Kick the Can Kickstarter Kickends Kicking the Bucket

To go a bit further. A kickstarter by professional developers asking for next to a million dollars needs to have a professional kickstarter with working prototypes and extensive concept art. Something like that was excusable for maybe a kickstarter with half the budget.

Here is a more accurate representation of the problem.

Yooka Laylee Kickstarter Day 1 asking for $270,000
tumblr_nnolqum6L81tliyz4o6_500.gif

Red Ash Day 25 asking for $800,000
4e0ad15f9c.gif

This is the stupidest, most unfair comparison I've seen today.

MML was a finished game. That Red Ash bit is from a pre-Alpha prototype put together in two weeks. This isn't apple and oranges. You're comparing apples to orange seeds here.

This comparison is almost worse than that "diminishing returns" screenshot or the Uncharted 3 Chloe comparison. One of these examples had locked funding from the start and a prototype that had been worked on for months. The other is a playable scrap of development put together in very little time during the closing days a Kickstarter.

Yookalaylee really did a number on skewing the average joe's perception of how much game development costs and how much time it takes to make. You think YL had that gameplay made for free?

That yooka laylee gif is from an alpha version of a game that had already been in development for months, the red ash one is a pre-alpha prototype (prototypes arent built upon they are made quickly to figure out how the game will work) and had only been in development for a week.

Or you know, maybe they could of put a little effort and preparation into their Kickstarter game before hand? The point is how badly this it was planned and seemingly thrown together last second.

komplanen

What do they mean "The Kickstarter money is going towards additional development"? They don't look like they'll come even close to reaching the goal...

Sneds

The website has an English version, you can switch it in the top right. Do it and go to the products page and prepare to laugh your ass off. There's a "story" thing where someone who I'm guessing is the CEO says he was upset by the ban of game consoles in China and wants to release his own with "real" games on it and disparages the advent of mobile games.

http://www.fuzegame.tv/e/product.php

That's a bizarre website.

“Electronic opium”, “psychiatric drugs”, break all of my dreams

Caffeine

looks like kotaku covered it lmao

http://kotaku.com/the-red-ash-kickstarter-is-a-disaster-1721094852
Inafune met FUZE at E3 this year, but they approached them only after the KS started. Comcept wanted to make Red Ash no matter what, so if the Kickstarter failed, they would find a different way. They were hoping to entice investors with the attention they were getting from the KS, even if it failed. They didn’t necessarily try to hurry up the deal since the KS was still at 50% for some time. The timing happened to work out nicely and then we made the announcement. The timing really wasn’t up to them, it was in the investor’s court. And the [stretch] goals will go out before the KS’s end for sure.

Fuze entertainment is some bizarre Chinese startup who is planning on making an Android-based games console for the Chinese market. I mean, I guess it's nice for Redash fans that they are shovelling money into this game, but who knows what the hell it's going to end up being. I wouldn't back it before and I definitely won't back it now. Interested to see how this whole thing turns out.

This part is delightful:

What kind of stretch goals? Says the update (emphasis mine):
The Kickstarter campaign is going 100% towards more content! Consider your pledge a contribution to stretch goals from here on out.

Exactly what are those stretch goals? We’re sorry to say that will have to wait a little while longer! Like we said, we’re very busy with many behind-the-scenes things over here, and we apologize if you feel left in the dark. As you can see, the things we have brewing that are keeping us occupied are BIG, and all for the purpose of getting you RED ASH in its biggest, bestest form. That’s the reason we’re less communicative than we’d like to be!

We know we’re in the final days of our campaign, but we’d like to ask fans to continue their support of RED ASH! Your money is going towards 100% content now, so please look forward to the revised “stretch goals”!
In other words: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

border

Am I only one that thinks this is all bullshit to help them avoid the embarassment of a massive Kickstarter failure on the eve of Might Number 9's launch, and that the project will be quietly cancelled sometime in the next 6-12 months?

is2AgSl.gif

What is this from?

I am relatively certain that this image is from a short-lived teen soap opera called Fifteen. It aired on Nickelodeon for a couple seasons in the early 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCxgLP3T0M

I would recommend that you watch Swans Crossing instead, if you want a cornball 90's teen soap.

JackelZXA

What I am SEVERELY concerned about is a thought I had. What if the Fuze partnership is dependent on them fronting the $400,000 existing pledges at the end of the month? If this is the case, it would be VERY concerning for them to not know that NOT meeting the minimum amount would mean a refund for all backers, and that could land ComCept in dept to Fuze by $400,000 and either destroy the deal or land them in hot water in some other way.

If that were the case, this would really be 'The Kickstarter Incident'...

border

What I am SEVERELY concerned about is a thought I had. What if the Fuze partnership is dependent on them fronting the $400,000 existing pledges at the end of the month? If this is the case, it would be VERY concerning for them to not know that NOT meeting the minimum amount would mean a refund for all backers, and that could land ComCept in dept to Fuze by $400,000 and either destroy the deal or land them in hot water in some other way.

The Kickstarter is going to fail though. Comcept is not going to get any money from it.....they had to know that when they signed the deal.

Servbot24

Banned

If that were the case, this would really be 'The Kickstarter Incident'...

I'm guessing they know how Kickstarter works. :p

OmegaX

So Inafune couldn't even convince one of the lesser publishers like Deep Silver to fund his game? This Fuze deal is all kinds of weird. Their Android console looks like vaporware. I'm questioning if they even have the money to fund a videogame.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Kickstarter received several high paying phantom backers on its last day.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Because shit costs money and not everybody is willing or capable to dump X amount into a project that might not see the light of day. Playtonic probably had investors helping them with their earlier prototype. That shouldn't be the standard going forward.

They definitely bungled the campaign but stuff like "Why isn't this prototype better?" feels less of a reflection on them due to dead obvious time and budget constraints, and more of one of the fans due to the public reaction.

Yes they couldn't find the money to work on a prototype until M9 release but could only find the money to fund the whole project. Makes total sense.

Top Bottom