• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Ash The Kalkanon Incident (PS4/XB1) development to proceed with Fuze Etertainme

Riddler

As a person who was intersted but was waiting for MN9 to release im actually more intersted in Kickstarting for stretch goals vs just the initial campaign.

yo not for nothing but i would've held off from showing that little prototype, it looks bad. hell in all honesty they should've waited for the release of might number 9 to show that they're good devlopers and be like, yea we made that game and you loved it, help us make another game you'll love, that is assuming people will love MN9. also this kickstarter is just straight up bad, its like give us 800k and you'll get the prologue, nah tho its like a full game tho dont worry.

why the fuck would i give you money for that? nah bro, I'm good.

Caffeine

CLH6Ah7UAAADOB-.png:large

i feel like read the exact description of the nvidia shield console.

the page shows a knock off ps4 casing loool

kewlmyc

This is the most plan B thing I've ever seen. I'm guessing they'll make the Map A part of the game, then start a kickstarter for Map B once Red Ash releases a few months before Red Ash releases.

SystemBug

People are commenting on what they got and what was given was turd. I tried that unity demo and right off the controls were already strange and it felt like there was no effort in it coming from a known dev(?). You give people shit, they will smell it and respond accordingly.
You expect a prototype to have good controls? lol

If the game comes out and it's good I'll be sure to buy it. I'm honestly not interested in donating to any kick starters for this one though. I'm sure the success of Mighty No.9 (which I did kick start on day one) lead to Red Ashs guaranteed development. It's true that its kickstarter campaign was a compete mess though. I never viewed it as anything other than a beggars out reached hands.

DigiGee_

Neo Member
You expect a prototype to have good controls? lol

As someone who's been trying to copy megaman legends style controls in their own game for a while now I think they actually did a really spot on job controls wise (I was using a controller) but it probably didn't ~feel~ particularly great to play because their running animation wasn't tied to the velocity.

It's supposed to take a lot of effort to make normal controls?
yes?

tumblr_n06ts229kZ1sjn51ko1_250.gif

Mega Man Legends, 1997.

4e0ad15f9c.gif

Not Mega Man Legends, 18 years later.
I know people are saying this is an unfair comparison, and it is...to a point.

With Red Ash, if you go and look at the KS page, there's the pitch video, concept art of characters/locations and then like one piece of art that shows something of a gameplay mockup:
Then you have this prototype come out, and it looks nothing like this. It's just this weird little game slice that does hardly anything to convince me (personally) to fund the game.

Meanwhile, you've got the Yooka-Laylee KS page, full of gorgeous gameplay style images
And then we've got this beautiful stuff to back it up.
tumblr_nnolqum6L81tliyz4o6_500.gif

And then with Bloodstained, we had this concept on the KS:
wOeN7ov.png

Which had off-screen gameplay footage to back up their progress.

Red Ash looks incredibly and overwhelmingly undercooked in comparison to other projects.

It's supposed to take a lot of effort to make normal controls?
Is this a real question? Of course it takes effort. You think getting even "normal" controls is easy or something? You realize there are controls worked on by teams of hundreds of people with budgets in the millions that still get reamed for having bad controls right? That's not from a lack of effort. Making "normal" controls is fucking hard.

jholmes

I have badmouthed these campaigns constantly from Day 1 and it wasn't because I wanted to rain on anyone's parade, it's because you can't trust these people with your money.

And oh my goodness, asking people what platform they want it on and then telling them they're getting it on Xbox One anyway is exactly why the vast majority of projects shouldn't go to crowdfunding. This is a slap in the face for the people who pushed to get it on Wii U -- where there was a fair audience, let's not forget! -- all because Comcept fucking told them to.

Im happy this got funded, cuz no way in hell did they show anything to the public that should have been funded, especially up against the Yooka Laylee kickstarter.

Yooka Laylee Kickstarter Day 1
tumblr_nnolqum6L81tliyz4o6_500.gif

Red Ash Day 25
4e0ad15f9c.gif

Bravo. Yet another reason why I was sour on this mess from the start.

Is this a real question? Of course it takes effort. You think getting even "normal" controls is easy or something? You realize there are controls worked on by teams of hundreds of people with budgets in the millions that still get reamed for having bad controls right? That's not from a lack of effort. Making "normal" controls is fucking hard.

I did not expect wasd as camera control. When I say normal I meant it could have been wasd as moving around.

jesus guys, those other demos/showcases they had already prepared. these guys slapped something together. People say it isn't a fair comparison because it genuinely isnt

jesus guys, those other demos/showcases they had already prepared. these guys slapped something together. People say it isn't a fair comparison because it genuinely isnt
I'm not sure how this excuses them. The "fairness" of the comparison comes in that they're all Kickstarters for games with similar pedigrees and such. The other projects prepared stuff she was of time and it helped their messaging and marketing. Red Ash seems like it rolled out of bed with nothing ready to wow people. No wonder it's failing miserably.

Some Nobody

This is kinda cool, 'cause I always wanted to play an MML sequel. So I'm not entirely mad at this. At the same time though, if they're funding the game then they should be funding the whole thing, or at least enough to give us a full game and not some eight hour campaign.

I'm not sure how this excuses them. The "fairness" of the comparison comes in that they're all Kickstarters for games with similar pedigrees and such. The other projects prepared stuff she was of time and it helped their messaging and marketing. Red Ash seems like it rolled out of bed with nothing ready to wow people. No wonder it's failing miserably.

it doesn't excuse them for the horrible way they managed the kickstarter but people are pretending this is how the game will end up being. Go to youtube and it's like "wow this looks horrible the animation is shit"

Well no fucking duh. This was a desperate attempt to have something since they noticed the kickstarter was failing.

vareon

The prototype is weird alright. It's not a proof of concept, like, say, Splatoon prototype which only had blocks but had the basic Splatoon concept. This is puting whatever asset they have in a very basic Unity scene and add a control scheme. It's understandable that people find it unappetizing.

it doesn't excuse them for the horrible way they managed the kickstarter but people are pretending this is how the game will end up being. Go to youtube and it's like "wow this looks horrible the animation is shit"

Well no fucking duh. This was a desperate attempt to have something since they noticed the kickstarter was failing.
Oh yeah, that's offbase. People should know that the prototype is not their target for how it should look...but that being said, I don't feel a hint of pity for Inafune and the team for their prototype being misunderstood. They released an ugly prototype to the masses, and they got exactly the response that any developer would have predicted they would get. There's a reason that we don't usually see stuff like this: because most people won't really understand it.

Crocodile

Ok, see, there are a lot of legit complaints that can be levied against this Kickstater but when people seriously go "Why isn't this demo that was put together in 1-2 weeks as polished as the concept art or as polished as an alpha that has been worked on for months!" it really just feeds into the GAMERS ARE FUCKING STUPID notion. The comparison is fucking crazy and every-time you make it or quote it and post some cute quip, you make yourself look silly. Stop it.

ANYWAY, regarding the events that have transpired - this is some weird shit. Now granted, given that there is demand for a Mega Man Legends - type game, I think that they were able to secure an outside funding source is a good thing. It means the game, at least the base game, will get made and we can hope it turns out well. I will admit I'm not familiar with Fuze but looking them up on their site.........I'll be honest.........they look suspect as fuck. I mean I guess money is money but that is not a capital source that would instill confidence in me as a gamer. Maybe they have a better rep in the business world? It also begs the question of how long these publisher talks were going on for. Was this in the works for a while and only got confirmed now? Did these talks only start when it became clear the Kickstater was in trouble? If the later then isn't this a deal that was completely REALLY, weirdly fast?

Though people like to whine that the timing for this campaign was poor because "blah blah Shenmue" (like Comcept can control what other big Kickstarters are happening at the same time LOL) or "blah blah MN9 isn't out yet" (even though MN9 and Red Ash share little staff and starting new games before the last one is out is very normal) I do think it would have been to their benefit to have launched later just so they could have had more time to secure publishers or work out a tiny bit of gameplay for the campaign. All this is very much giving off the vibe that they didn't have all their ducks in order before launching regardless if that's true or not.

Keeping a campaign open after an outside source has been secured mid-campaign is certainly their prerogative but its highly unusual and I think people are free to feel uncomfortable about that. Also not describing the new stretch goals in detail with this change is all kinds of WTF. Are they too tired/busy to write something new up? There are only 4 days left. If so, that is still on them and not on potential backers though.

So while I certainly think there is a degree of unearned negativity that has been directed at this campaign (a lot derived from more perceived than actual mistakes made with MN9) there have certainly been enough real mistakes on Comcept's part that I hope at least they learned something from this experience moving forward. I also hope all the drama from this campaign doesn't reflect poorly on other Kickstaters moving forward and make potential backers wary of publisher relationships in future Kickstater campaigns (that's a big worry of mine that others in the future may be indirectly punished by what has happened here).

I just hope Mighty No 9. is awesome so that we can talk more about games and less about Kickstater drama when we talk about Comcept.

jholmes

I think there's an irony here given how poorly this Kickstarter was handled and how poorly the Mega Man Legends 3 fan campaign was handled.

Of course the fans are the ones who suffer.

Though people like to whine that the timing for this campaign was poor because "blah blah Shenmue" (like Comcept can control what other big Kickstarters are happening at the same time LOL) or "blah blah MN9 isn't out yet" (even though MN9 and Red Ash share little staff and starting new games before the last one is out is very normal) I do think it would have been to their benefit to have launched later just so they could have had more time to secure publishers or work out a tiny bit of gameplay for the campaign. All this is very much giving off the vibe that they didn't have all their ducks in order before launching regardless if that's true or not.

I think it more gives off the vibe that like Double Fine they wanted to pull in a bunch of money before people realized they can't manage it.

Cmagus

Thankfully it's well on it's way to missing it's original target (barely over half with only 4 days left)

Them turning it into a stretch goal campaign and not saying what for is just as shitty, though

This whole thing is a joke
As someone who contributed Id like to know the stretch goals. How will this even work if it fails they don't get the money.

leroidys

This is great. I didn't contribute to the kickstarter because of how it was conducted, but I will buy the shit out of this when it's realeased.

Jarmel

Banned

Ok, see, there are a lot of legit complaints that can be levied against this Kickstater but when people seriously go "Why isn't this demo that was put together in 1-2 weeks as polished as the concept art or as polished as an alpha that has been worked on for months!" it really just feeds into the GAMERS ARE FUCKING STUPID notion. The comparison is fucking crazy and every-time you make it or quote it and post some cute quip, you make yourself look silly. Stop it.

Exactly this. Like why are you guys comparing a 2 week prototype to something that's been worked on for months as if they're even remotely equivalent?

Busaiku

As someone who contributed Id like to know the stretch goals. How will this even work if it fails they don't get the money.
Then the Kalkanon Incident is the only thing that happens.
Any baggage that comes with Fuze is what we'll have to deal with, since the game will not exist otherwise.

They're not hitting the $800k, so they won't see a cent from Kickstarter.

Edzi

So what are the chances that they've always had a deal in place and just put out the Kickstarter in the hopes of making some extra money for the game on top of it?

So what are the chances that they've always had a deal in place and just put out the Kickstarter in the hopes of making some extra money for the game on top of it?

I'd say none. I think that if they had full funding before the announcement then they would've likely taken the time to get something up and running to show what you could expect, even if it wasn't much. Instead they literally had nothing to show other than some art. Not even concept art to give you an idea of what they game may look like, just basic art for the game.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Uh

Isn't this completely against KS rules to completely change what you're pitching? Isnt it irrelevant what people pledge on KS since this will fail and no one will be charged anything anyway?

I must be misunderstanding this

Not sure on the exact specifics of KS' policies, but I believe that it is not good, yes.
They should have cancelled the kickstarter. Hopefully they'll do so soon.

And also irrelevant in that given that the pledge isn't likely to go to 800k, Comcept won't see a cent.

The update, however, doesn't exactly read like they're aware of that....either that, or it's horribly wishful thinking.

Not sure on the exact specifics of KS' policies, but I believe that it is not good, yes.
They should have cancelled the kickstarter. Hopefully they'll do so soon.

And also irrelevant in that given that the pledge isn't likely to go to 800k, Comcept won't see a cent.

The update, however, doesn't exactly read like they're aware of that....either that, or it's horribly wishful thinking.

Optimistically, I think they realize it's a lost cause and are either going to relaunch on IndieGogo or just solicit paypal donations through development.

Bsigg12

So reading through this again, is FUZE pumping the remainder of the Kickstarter in to make sure it hits the 800k goal and they get the money already pledged? None of the money pledged gets taken unless they hit their goal and there is no way they get the 300k+ they need.

What a gas.

I just hope this won't negatively affect Hyde, even if they agreed to develop the game in the first place. Right now the problem is Inafune and his antics—he's being the kind of professional he wants and was fated to be, and he's not going to disappear. Hopefully someone will step up with a robust crowdfunding campaign/alpha for a new Legends-type game, but I thought RED ASH was suspect from the start even after having a shred of trust for Inafune and Comcept.

So reading through this again, is FUZE pumping the remainder of the Kickstarter in to make sure it hits the 800k goal and they get the money already pledged? None of the money pledged gets taken unless they hit their goal and there is no way they get the 300k+ they need.

That outcome is certainly possible, but unlikely. I imagine that'd draw quite a bit of ire from KickStarter as a community, if only for the precedent it sets. It'd essentially permit campaign creators to completely change the scope of their campaign at the last minute - then pump in any remaining funding to get the cash.

Imagine you have a great deal of money, and want more. If KickStarter let your proposed situation slide, it would be completely within the established rules of the site to create a campaign, attract several hundred thousand dollars in donors - then switch your promises at the last minute before pumping in the remaining funding yourself. You still get paid, without having to do produce your original vision. The site's credibility would go down the tank.

so1337

Oh, they've got a publisher? Surely that means they're shutting down the Kick...
The Kickstarter campaign is going 100% towards more content! Consider your pledge a contribution to stretch goals from here on out.

Exactly what are those stretch goals? We're sorry to say that will have to wait a little while longer!
What.

Top Bottom