• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Ash The Kalkanon Incident (PS4/XB1) development to proceed with Fuze Etertainme

jett

D-Member
MML had such a better art style with so many fewer polygons

tumblr_n06ts229kZ1sjn51ko1_250.gif

Mega Man Legends, 1997.

4e0ad15f9c.gif

Not Mega Man Legends, 18 years later.

DigiGee_

Neo Member
Then maybe don't launch a KickStarter with only a pre-alpha prototype to show?

Bloodstained and Shenmue 3 didn't even have a pre-alpha, yooka-laylee is the only big time KS that I can recall that had a beta because their original goal was to fully fund the game by themselves before kickstarter was involved.

FLAguy954

the Wii U will be dead and buried by the time this thing comes out.

The Wii U is already dead and buried. If this came to the Wii U, people would have to revive their Wii U's to give the game a spin.

But some people in this thread = he cant keep getting away with it.gif

That doesn't mean anything. It's still a repaint. It's actually even worse when you take all that talent and tell them "now make the same thing you made 20 years ago because people don't like things that are different". Arguably most kickstarters of this type ride this idea - YL is the not-Banjo, Bloodstained is the not-Ecclesia and so on and so forth but never before has it been taken to such extreme.

Eh, Bloodstained (which looks awesome!) was sold as 100% Igavania without Konami and could have easily been even moreso extremely similar than it already was. According to their Q&A's I remember reading that Bloodstained originally wanted their previous Igavania artist (which would have been cool!) but they were busy on other projects at the time. If they had then it would have even looked even more exactly just like the previous games.

sn00zer

That yooka laylee gif is from an alpha version of a game that had already been in development for months, the red ash one is a pre-alpha prototype (prototypes arent built upon they are made quickly to figure out how the game will work) and had only been in development for a week.

Yes, that is the issue.

Then maybe don't launch a KickStarter with only a pre-alpha prototype to show?

They don't NEED to show anything, all you need is a good pitch video and concept to get people on board see double fine adventure Kickstarter. Of course having a vertial slice alpha certainly helped Yooka Laylee, but the ks probably would have been just as successful had it been just a few concept drawings and the same good pitch video.

Red Ash's pre-alpha did the job of showing people on the fence that yes this will play like mega man legends 1 and 2 in case you were afraid it wasn't going to play like them. Clearly they'd have been better off showing some better concept art or game screen mock ups as reactions like yours show that showing the general gamer pre-alpha footage taints their views of a game meant to be worked on for 2 years.

sn00zer

Bloodstained and Shenmue 3 didn't even have a pre-alpha, yooka-laylee is the only big time KS that I can recall that had a beta because their original goal was to fully fund the game by themselves before kickstarter was involved.

Shenmue is another weird one that I dont know enough about to comment on, but as stated earlier, bloodstained was very open about it already having a publisher on top of a stack of gorgeous artwork.

To go a bit further. A kickstarter by professional developers asking for next to a million dollars needs to have a professional kickstarter with working prototypes and extensive concept art. Something like that was excusable for maybe a kickstarter with half the budget.

Here is a more accurate representation of the problem.

Yooka Laylee Kickstarter Day 1 asking for $270,000
tumblr_nnolqum6L81tliyz4o6_500.gif

Red Ash Day 25 asking for $800,000
4e0ad15f9c.gif
This comparison is almost worse than that "diminishing returns" screenshot or the Uncharted 3 Chloe comparison. One of these examples had locked funding from the start and a prototype that had been worked on for months. The other is a playable scrap of development put together in very little time during the closing days a Kickstarter.

Yookalaylee really did a number on skewing the average joe's perception of how much game development costs and how much time it takes to make. You think YL had that gameplay made for free?

Street Fighter V was getting made regardless, the deal with Sony just meant it was happening sooner rather than later.

There were comments by the president of Capcom made at E3 2014 about Street Fighter V and releasing it on the PS4 and Xbox One. E3 2014 would also have been the place the beginning of the talks between Sony and Capcom would of started. The year before this the producer of USF4 was saying it would take Capcom until 2018 for SFV.

I actually forgot about that but I think it's still valid since Capcom has definitely clamped down on what they're making, plus Street Fighter V taking until 2018 would be pretty crazy, even moreso without the port of IV.

Hopeford

I haven't exactly been following this kickstarter too much, but their recent update is a little...ehhhhhh.

What happens to Kickstarter?

The Kickstarter campaign is going 100% towards more content! Consider your pledge a contribution to stretch goals from here on out.

Exactly what are those stretch goals? We're sorry to say that will have to wait a little while longer!

This is kind of...really poorly run. Like, "give us money. We'll do things with it. We can't really tell you what those things are for though." I mean it's all a bit of a moot point since I think it's unlikely the kickstarter is getting funded anyway, but it just feels really, really odd to have a kickstarter that literally has no information on it.

I don't get people complaining, especially if you were a backer. This is good news. This game wasn't going to get backed.

I wished they could lower the minimum so they could get at least some money from this KS for additional content because it doesn't look like they'll get any money from the campaign.

nynt9

I don't get people complaining, especially if you were a backer. This is good news. This game wasn't going to get backed.

I wished they could lower the minimum so they could get at least some money from this KS for additional content because it doesn't look like they'll get any money from the campaign.

I'm beyond complaining at this point. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this glorious ride on this train that's completely off the tracks. I can't even be disappointed anymore, this is all just too hilarious.

Mega Man Legends, 1997.

4e0ad15f9c.gif

What planet am I on right now.

Are you actually comparing a AAA finished title from 1997, to a thoughtlessly put together scrap of development? Or are you arguing that because it's 20 years later, technology should produce better looking results no matter how little time is spent on it?

J-Spot

"All Kickstarter funds will now go toward stretch goals. What stretch goals? We're not telling."

It's nice that even though the game is now guaranteed the Kickstarter itself still finds new ways to be terrible.

Mega Man Legends, 1997.

4e0ad15f9c.gif

This is the stupidest, most unfair comparison I've seen today.

MML was a finished game. That Red Ash bit is from a pre-Alpha prototype put together in two weeks. This isn't apple and oranges. You're comparing apples to orange seeds here.

Froli

To go a bit further. A kickstarter by professional developers asking for next to a million dollars needs to have a professional kickstarter with working prototypes and extensive concept art. Something like that was excusable for maybe a kickstarter with half the budget.

Here is a more accurate representation of the problem.

Yooka Laylee Kickstarter Day 1 asking for $270,000
tumblr_nnolqum6L81tliyz4o6_500.gif

Red Ash Day 25 asking for $800,000
4e0ad15f9c.gif

lols seriously, so fucking shady with everything happened since Inafune's return

DNAbro

MML was a finished game. That Red Ash bit is from a pre-Alpha prototype put together in two weeks. This isn't apple and oranges. It's apples and orange seeds you're comparing!

showing off that prototype did more harm than good.

Good, like it should have been from the beginning. This just seemed like Inafune being up his own ass after the MN9 kickstarter and getting greedy, instead of actually still needing kickstarter.

While I think it's unfair to compare a finished game and a prototype (or even Yooka Laylee's prototype to Red Ash's), I think it does show how badly the kickstarter was managed.

That prototype should have been there at day one. It should have been improved as they were working on it through the campaign. As a hail mary pass at the end of the campaign, it is a bad look.

SystemBug

For a forum where everybody proclaims themselves as a gaming know-it-all I am so surprised at how the majority of GAF has no fucking idea about how games are actually developed.

ZSeba

For a forum where everybody proclaims themselves as a gaming know-it-all I am so surprised at how the majority of GAF has no fucking idea about how games are actually developed.

Agreed. It's funny seeing comments like these in GAF of all places ....

showing off that prototype did more harm than good.

lols seriously, so fucking shady with everything happened since Inafune's return

Yes that has been posted many times, the visuals aren't really the point here.
Shouldn't have released that. I'm sorry, because the animation looks fucking disgusting that it did nothing but harm.
Whether releasing that "prototype" or not isn't being debated. What is being debated is the moronic comparison being made between a pre-alpha prototype made in a week or less versus a prototype made over the course of three months with a team with financial backing, or a fully finished game from 1997. Or am I being trolled? I hope the latter.

nynt9

This thread isn't as nuanced as the other one, but people are upset that the prototype is clearly thrown together in a few days as a hail mary. It's a thinly veiled attempt at a last minute shot in the arm. If they were going to show anything, they should have showed something more than a base Unity 3D environment with mostly MN9 assets.

But why am I even arguing? People will defend this regardless of all the hilarity that has happened over the past few weeks.

Whether releasing that "prototype" or not isn't being debated. What is being debated is the moronic comparison being made between a pre-alpha prototype made in a week or less versus a prototype made over the course of three months with a team with financial backing, or a fully finished game from 1997. Or am I being trolled? I hope the latter.
I don't think anyone is comparing them on purely equivalent grounds, like "here's alpha footage from both!" The point in my mind is how poorly done the messaging is for this game. The Red Ash "prototype" is such an obvious desperation move, and it really shows it.
This thread isn't as nuanced as the other one, but people are upset that the prototype is clearly thrown together in a few days as a hail mary. It's a thinly veiled attempt at a last minute shot in the arm. If they were going to show anything, they should have showed something more than a base Unity 3D environment with mostly MN9 assets.

But why am I even arguing? People will defend this regardless of all the hilarity that has happened over the past few weeks.
Ayup.

People are commenting on what they got and what was given was turd. I tried that unity demo and right off the controls were already strange and it felt like there was no effort in it coming from a known dev(?). You give people shit, they will smell it and respond accordingly.

The Kickstarter campaign is going 100% towards more content! Consider your pledge a contribution to stretch goals from here on out.

Exactly what are those stretch goals? We're sorry to say that will have to wait a little while longer!

What

Wow, what a great argument. Rather then discuss how this veteran game designer "has no fucking idea" how to pitch a game on Kickstarter, let's attack the audience.

Kazer

The website has an English version, you can switch it in the top right. Do it and go to the products page and prepare to laugh your ass off. There's a "story" thing where someone who I'm guessing is the CEO says he was upset by the ban of game consoles in China and wants to release his own with "real" games on it and disparages the advent of mobile games.

http://www.fuzegame.tv/e/product.php

Wow. Not a company I would want to be associated with. >_>

MML was a finished game. That Red Ash bit is from a pre-Alpha prototype put together in two weeks. This isn't apple and oranges. You're comparing apples to orange seeds here.

This.

And this.

Top Bottom