• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Ash The Kalkanon Incident (PS4/XB1) development to proceed with Fuze Etertainme

Caffeine

I feel like the campaign should be suspended or cancelled until they clearly explain what people are funding now lol. alright our game is funded keep funding extra shit we will tell you soon with only 4 days left...

this has to be against rules or something. a relaunch of the kickstarter should be mandatory if they want cash for extra stuff.

I have never seen a kickstarter do a full 180 right before it ended lol.

synce

I never liked Inafune, something just didn't sit right. But hey people are happy to get the game at least... the game they would've gotten either way

rhandino

Banned
Every time you think this whole thing couldn't seem more sketchy and weird some new thing happen...

S5J1vAc.gif

Feep

Banned
Ok, see, there are a lot of legit complaints that can be levied against this Kickstater but when people seriously go "Why isn't this demo that was put together in 1-2 weeks as polished as the concept art or as polished as an alpha that has been worked on for months!" it really just feeds into the GAMERS ARE FUCKING STUPID notion. The comparison is fucking crazy and every-time you make it or quote it and post some cute quip, you make yourself look silly. Stop it.
Maybe they should have fucking prepared and had a proper, impressive thing to show off before asking for nearly a million goddamn dollars. Slapping something together in one or two weeks and then releasing it to backers IS THE PROBLEM.

I've run two successful Kickstarter campaigns and if I tried to deliberately run a campaign as horribly as I could, I don't think I could top this shit.

Dremark

Banned
Inafune seems to have burned a lot of bridges since MN9. I'm not a fan of him as a person myself, but I'm glad the game will be made though.

LAA

Yeah after MN9, wasnt keen on funding. I will get MN9, but I didn't like for the KS they had another KS on their own site after the first KS started and it feels the same again here. Just doesnt come across as honest.

Maybe they should have fucking prepared and had a proper, impressive thing to show off before asking for nearly a million goddamn dollars. Slapping something together in one or two weeks and then releasing it to backers IS THE PROBLEM.

I've run two successful Kickstarter campaigns and if I tried to deliberately run a campaign as horribly as I could, I don't think I could top this shit.
Thank you Feep. Sheesh.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks "bu-bu-but they only worked on it for a week! And those other games worked on it for months before!" is a legitimate excuse. Maybe Inafune and the staff working on Red Ash should have you followed that example.

Wanderer5

Well that good I guess, but sheesh cancelled the damn kickstarter. Not like it going to make it to the base goal anyway, through they say they going to revise it despite being the trainwreck that it was.

Toxi

Banned
You expect a prototype to have good controls? lol
Wait, so the prototype has shit controls and shittier graphics? And it's supposed to get people to give 800,000 dollars to this trainwreck?

Good fucking luck with that. People back a game that impresses them, not one with empty promises and a few week old prototype that is shit in every possible way.

that news article haha they recieved a 9 million dollar loan this month from a chinese mobile company ? this is a company that wanted to launch a chinese console last month according to their site needs a loan this month and they are in a haven.... not fishy ?

Incredible. This story just gets better and better as it goes on.

I'm sure the game will never be as entertaining as watching the Kickstarter.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Additionally, they're basically just writing the entire kickstarter off now.

There's no way it hits $800k in four days. They can't touch any of the money without hitting that goal. So this is just them admitting "This is a mistake but we had a contingency plan in case this fails."

Which, uh, I'm not sure any lessons were learned here.
The kickstarter was just a conniving attempt at gouging potential customers for extra income. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Goo for them, that was not gonna make its goal, with this being Infaunes 3rd kickstater, he should learn now he can't pull this shit again, *Insert Kamiya tweet*

nynt9

Exactly this. Like why are you guys comparing a 2 week prototype to something that's been worked on for months as if they're even remotely equivalent?

I think the point being made is "why are they only starting on a prototype now and trying to pass off a basic unity demo as a pre-alpha instead of having Their shit together from day 1, having a working prototype since before the campaign and having a campaign that's well planned in general?"

The answer to me is pretty clear: Inafune took the backers for granted and thought people would just rain money on him as long as he said "hey I'm reviving this old game of mine that you liked" without any other details. Sure, other campaigns have also run on little information, but if you compare it to, say, Bloodstained, they were on top of their messaging and social media game and constantly put out info directly from iga's mouth and let people know they have it all figured out.

beril

Shocking. Thinking that someone like Inafune couldn't get investors without kickstarter is silly. Stop giving free money to developers who clearly don't need it.

Wait, so the prototype has shit controls and shittier graphics? And it's supposed to get people to give 800,000 dollars to this trainwreck?

Good fucking luck with that. People back a game that impresses them, not one with empty promises and a few week old prototype that is shit in every possible way.
b-b-b-but look at this video of Inafune looking at drawings!!!! isn't amazing??? now give him your money!!

Will the Wii U even be relevant by the time it comes out?

The game is releasing until 2017. That about says it all for the Wii U version.

the Wii U will be dead and buried by the time this thing comes out.

People really need to let it go with that kind of shit.

... Wii U will be fucking dead before this comes out. People should try get them to make a NX version instead.

Bloodstained is set to release on Wii U the same year, so there's that. Not that I'm questioning the choice of platforms.

Anyway, this would be the point in time where I'd pull my money. If they can secure publisher funding, they can do well without Kickstarter.

Floex

So a project that was destined to fail on Kickstarter is now being be made because?

Yeah, this is going to go well.

I expected something like this once I saw that whole "pledge for this tier and get the game we already have funding for!" nonsense. What a shitshow.

Wow, there are people defending the prototype.
I mean, if it was slapped together in 1-2 weeks, controls don't represent the game, graphics don't represent the game, sound doesn't represent the game... Why bother? Just to show that they can follow instructions from Unity tutorials? That they know how to apply physics to crates?

junpei

Thank you Feep. Sheesh.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks "bu-bu-but they only worked on it for a week! And those other games worked on it for months before!" is a legitimate excuse. Maybe Inafune and the staff working on Red Ash should have you followed that example.

It still is not fair to compare the two . Just about everyone in the red ash thread think that they should have made a better presentation and showed some gameplay. that prototype is a panic mode fueled last ditch attempt to come up with something. they thought that they had this KS in the bag because just mockups worked before (MN9). they launched it and they got the rude awaking that wont cut it anymore . now in a panic they try to make something that will showcase some of their ideas . It is not fair to compare something that had time to polish with something that didn't . the first footage of mighty number 9 is more of a fair comparison. both were made in a short amount of time and the only true difference is that it would be much easier to come up with good looking 2d in a short timespan.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Such as.....?

Lets do it. Lets list that shadyness!

- Kickstarter launches. Who's Hyde? "They've made console stuff. We can't tell you." Okay! Thats sometimes how it goes, but we're not off to a good start here. Mystery developer with no prototype to show to assuage any fears about competence.

- Physical copy is $89. Because fuck you thats why. Also you will never get to the Robots arm. Sorry. Please enjoy dreaming about its crotch area, we probably aint going there either.

- Theres gonna be a console stretch tier! We can't tell you which one yet though because of backroom funding chasing reasons. I'm sure we'll find out eventually! Pledge now though, even if your chosen console never gets picked. Hrrrrm.

- Also, can you fund this anime of it as well? Just 5 minutes at first, maybe more depending on how wildly successful you all make this cross media enterprise from the off! Everythings separate though. Parallel worlds. No smart re-use of concept art and animated sequences here. Forks. Forking out.

- Did we mention this is just a Prologue game thing? No? Well theres an actual proper full game that I'm sure we'll get to make eventually down the road, that'll be funded by a normal publisher and stuff.

- Huh, people aint going for this? Howzabout we start trying to sell even that second game we may never get to make as well? And we'll do a one day only special double pack deal for $49!! They're... they're still not buying it? People keep phoning in just to yell "SHENMUE"?

- Right, well, now that double pack is $79. We're not liable if we never make that other game though. You know how these things go! Refunds? There is no 'R' & 'D' in Inafune!

- Oh it turns out you all want it on PS4. Okay then. Well, since it seems like none of the big three wanted to back this either by this point, sure, PS4 stretch at 1 million.

- You know what, fuck it. We've found some dodgy Chinese funding under the sofa. Turns out it was there for the taking if we just went digging deep enough! We could cancel the Kickstarter or describe what it'd even be funding at this point, but... ehhhh. The dream of getting a cool 1 mil from the public for no reason is still one that brings happy tears to Mr Inafune's eyes. "I like the design of the "fuck you give me money" badge. It is most powerfully kawaii."

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you Feep. Sheesh.

Agreed, I feel like with the new info on all these deals for the main game and now this there's even less of an excuse. I mean it clearly shows that they shouldn't have had any problems getting the money upfront to make a really good prototype/demo material(doesn't even have to be playable just something that's more representative than the concept art for M9) to show off for the campaign if they really needed the funding for the project(although it still feels iffy on that front).

I really don't see why they couldn't have just secured funding for the prototype and worked on it up to M9 release and then launched the campaign.

maxcriden

I feel like the campaign should be suspended or cancelled until they clearly explain what people are funding now lol. alright our game is funded keep funding extra shit we will tell you soon with only 4 days left...

this has to be against rules or something. a relaunch of the kickstarter should be mandatory if they want cash for extra stuff.

I have never seen a kickstarter do a full 180 right before it ended lol.

I couldn't agree more. Why is this not against the KS rules?

As I said last night, the KS is essentially a bait and switch. How is it okay for those who pledged under the auspices of funding the game have the campaign changed to being stretch goal funding only, with so little notice that they might not find out before the campaign ends? Seems ridiculously shady.

Busaiku

- Theres gonna be a console stretch tier! We can't tell you which one yet though because of backroom funding chasing reasons. I'm sure we'll find out eventually! Pledge now though, even if your chosen console never gets picked. Hrrrrm.
They never had a set platform, it was based on the vote. They would only pursue licensing for the console that got the most votes, that's why they couldn't state a console, not some backroom dealings.

J-Spot

They never had a set platform, it was based on the vote. They would only pursue licensing for the console that got the most votes, that's why they couldn't state a console, not some backroom dealings.

The vote was a front from the start while they were trying to strike a deal with one of the console guys. The rep from Comcept admitted as much in the other thread.

213372bu

Banned
Shady.

Also, nobody has mentioned this, but the game looks like it is going to include more than the initial chapter one. The full "ideal" game length as stated in the KS is 8 hours, (which was going to be reduced if their "ideal" vision was not met.) And it looks like Fuze is going to help realize that 8 hour vision.

Happy to see the game will (if Fuze isn't some joke) live on after this Kickstarter fails. I understand why folk didn't back this project but I still would have been disappointed to miss this shot at getting a successor to a game I really enjoy.

vareon

It still is not fair to compare the two . Just about everyone in the red ash thread think that they should have made a better presentation and showed some gameplay. that prototype is a panic mode fueled last ditch attempt to come up with something. they thought that they had this KS in the bag because just mockups worked before (MN9). they launched it and they got the rude awaking that wont cut it anymore . now in a panic they try to make something that will showcase some of their ideas . It is not fair to compare something that had time to polish with something that didn't . the first footage of mighty number 9 is more of a fair comparison. both were made in a short amount of time and the only true difference is that it would be much easier to come up with good looking 2d in a short timespan.

The point of a Kickstarter campaign is to have your fans believe that there is a great product at the end of the funding. Some managed to do that by having a prototype that showcases the game's concept. Some managed to do so by just having a really good presentation.

Thus the purpose of prototype, if you're having one, is to convince people that the concept can work. Slapping 3D models into a Unity Scene accomplishes absolutely nothing. You're right that it's not comparable and they shouldn't even be doing that.

otakukidd

Shady.

Also, nobody has mentioned this, but the game looks like it is going to include more than the initial chapter one. The full "ideal" game length as stated in the KS is 8 hours, (which was going to be reduced if their "ideal" vision was not met.) And it looks like Fuze is going to help realize that 8 hour vision.

It's already been said the 8 hours was always the length of the game and the stretch goals added more. They just explained it pretty shittily. They need cancel this kick starter wait a couple months and launch a new for the extra areas. It wouldn't be the first kickstarter to launch for extra content for a game already coming out, but I'm going say people will still bitch about it.

Soi-Fong

This is just shady as fuck. And the fucked up thing is that no news sites are covering it like their "concern" with Shenmue 3.

koutoru

It wouldn't be the first kickstarter to launch for extra content for a game already coming out, but I'm going say people will still bitch about it.
Yooka Laylee's entire kickstarter was based around this.
They said the game was going to come out with or without the kickstarter money, the just wanted a separate campaign for more content and platforms.

But who knows what the reaction will be if Inafune tries this.

MaLDo

That's only half the story.

A good dev team can do wonders in two weeks using a 'best for prototyping' engine as Unity.

What this demo shows is:

-Bad plan and timmings
-lack of skills

_Ryo_

What about the PC version? If it's XB1/PS4 exclusive PC backers should pull out immediately.

Also, again. Why is the Kickstarter still going as is? It's basically a Kickstarter for DLC, now correct? They need to make changes to reflect that since the full 8 hour prologue is happening with or without Kickstarter.

And also what happens to the full game? They said previously regardless if the kickstarter is funded that the FULL GAME would happen no matter what, which is different than the the Kalkanon Incident, Kalkanon Incident is a prologue to the full game. So, what happens there? Are they getting a different publisher for the full game than the one they're using for the prologue?

what does $800,000 add to the Kalkanon incident? They can't say it covers the base game anymore since the game is happening no matter what. How much should DLC cost? Surely not as much as they're asking in stretch goals..

The whole thing remains shady.

Top Bottom