• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is three years old today

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
20 per cent maybe.
The story doesn't get crazy good until the 30-35% mark. I won't spoil anything story wise, but by that time you get access to more gear, more guns, more information, and more collectables. Plus the story picks up quite a bit.

Basically you get way more attached to the characters, get way cooler shit, more money, and you are given even more stuff to do.

Last edited:

pxlwrld

Neo Member
The only game that can feasibly equal those heavily scripted E3 demos in actual gameplay. I urge anyone to try playing without HUD elements for a bit and experience the immersive gameplay the game creates around the player.
Playing this game maxed out on PC at 3440x1440 and getting 90+ FPS was just an unbelievable experience. It honestly might be the first time I've ever played a game where, in most situations/areas, I felt like there were no technical constraints whatsoever. The graphics and lighting were nearly perfect (the only issue is the TAA, but it's not bad at 1440p) and the framerate was silky smooth. It's a game that will age extremely well and still look good in 10-15 years IMO.
The game that truly benefits from 4k resolution. Its a night and day difference from i.e. 1440p. You should try it. Google for the "white collar beta 2" DLSS from Nvidia, then DSR from 4K down to 1440p.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Fuck it. I'm downloading the game again and doing another playthrough. I always meant to go back and get all the hunting shit.

This thread has given me blue balls for the cowboy bullshit that the game readily provides.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gotta collect all the hats.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Jaybe

Gold Member
Easily the best interactive entertainment in years for me. Best “game”, probably no. Hoping for a 60fps patch by the time I want to do another play through in a year or two.

Catphish

Whoah. Had no idea but have a friend over and I’ve been watching him play the PC version on my newish since I finished RDR2 TV.

Still looks incredible and it’s his first time playing. Watching someone witness magic for the first time.

I want to know how you achieve the lighting effect behind the TV. Please tell!

Alan Wake

The story doesn't get crazy good until the 30-35% mark. I won't spoil anything story wise, but by that time you get access to more gear, more guns, more information, and more collectables. Plus the story picks up quite a bit.

Basically you get way more attached to the characters, get way cooler shit, more money, and you are given even more stuff to do.
I had some issues with the gameplay, and open world games have never been my cup of tea. I'm just lost in them. If I could find a way to play RDR2 going from A to B in a sense maybe I could get through. Because the game is crazy impressive in so many ways, and I loved the intro.

Kumomeme

a game that i want to love

but i cant.

due to controll. nobody ask to has MGSV level of smoothness, but made it less tedious to play thats all. too much slog to play.

anyone here has any suggested mod to help make things bit better? might be gonna retry this again in future.

sephiroth7x

I didn't like it much.

As a technical accomplishment it is unrivalled.

As a story it is fairly bland and saved by a fascinating and brilliantly written (and acted) Arthur Morgan.

As a videogame I personally believe it falls flat. It feels awkward at the start and gets no better as you move on. None of the game is 'fun' to play. When I finished it, I realised at no point did I enjoy any of it.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm currently playing it in small bouts, I was enjoying it and absolutely loved the opening section of the game, the atmosphere, the story set up, it was perfect but as I got further into the game i find myself having to drag myself to play it, I'm at the second camp and have done a few missions but it's just not clicking for me. Sure the world is incredible, second to none but it's just I don't know... With Witcher3 I was herding her off to bed to play it and sticking it on any free time I had, with Red I'm meh hell I'm back replaying through the Uncharted series again even though I know there's an epic game in there I'd still rather replay through the story in uncharted

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Sorry to bump an old thread but I couldn't find anything while searching so I thought I would ask.

Has there been any talk or rumor of a current gen console patch or full version? Is the Steam/PC version the only way to get somewhere close to current gen performance?

rofif

Banned
Would love to replay it but I would for sure not play the boring epilogue. It ruined the true ending of the game... the emotion. Credits should roll there, not fucking john marston in a wagon.
Anyway - The game is still very bloated and hard to replay because of that.
But I want to replay it. Enjoyed it a lot on release

synchronicity

Gold Member
I'm close to 130 hours and have completed less than 50% of the story. I just keep getting lost in the "cowboy fantasy" and living out those fantasies of childhood. The world is so absorbing, and just roaming and soaking it in is so engaging. I've been picking up the pace on the story recently though. I can't keep pretending that I'm a cowboy forever. :p

Venuspower

Has there been any talk or rumor of a current gen console patch or full version?

No, nothing.

Even if you assume that they will soon bring out such a patch, it will probably come in 2 years at the earliest. It took R* 2 years to release the "Next Gen Patch" for GTA V, too. Since RDO is not really updated any more, I don't expect R* to make the effort for such an update. They are probably concentrating fully on GTA VI and GTA Online now.

It' i quite a pity from my point of view. The single player is simply terrific. It's actually a shame that they don't give the game an appropriate update. They should have invested in a signee player expansion from the beginning.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Can't think of a game that aged as poorly as this one. Still one of my all time favorite single player experiences but boy oh boy did Rockstar fuck themselves and their fans with no DLC and bullshit scam Online all while still pump and dumping every idiot still giving money to GTA5

Rockstar used to make quality games, now they make micro transaction games.

mansoor1980

playing this on PC after finishing elden ring and boy it takes a while to get used to those controls , graphics /animations are still top notch.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Can't think of a game that aged as poorly as this one. Still one of my all time favorite single player experiences but boy oh boy did Rockstar fuck themselves and their fans with no DLC and bullshit scam Online all while still pump and dumping every idiot still giving money to GTA5

Rockstar used to make quality games, now they make micro transaction games.
They make outstanding games and then milk them with transactions

Dick Jones

Gold Member
One thing I've grown to hate about Rockstar games with each new release is where you have tight parameters and it's mission failed otherwise.

I remember GTA III where one mission I had to chase a guy in Chinatwon and he would run to his car and you'd chase him. In the game you could steal his car beforehand and rig it with a bomb so when you'd chase him he would run to the car and it would blow up.

Rockstar have to allow for non scripted ways to finish missions.

RDR1 is better.

RDR2's story drags after Chapter 2 and doesn't pick up again until Chapter 6. The forced animations for every bespoke action get old quickly, having a toggle to turn these off would have been appreciate. Not having access to New Austin until the Epilogue sucked, as did the absence of Mexico despite the full map being there.

nordique

Amazing game

but always brings a bittersweet memory for me

Xmas 2018 I played this on Xbox One, during my week off

worked hard, needed a break, hadn't gamed in a long time

little did I realize at the time that it would be my last holiday season with my dad as he passed away in 2019, for me, unexpectedly but he had been ill

I always associated this game and playing it that week with a missed opportunity to spend time with him

Le Sigh. Anyways - doesnt take away from the fact its a great game or that my pops was an amazing human, just bring a sad memory and associate the game with that winter

Iamborghini

I still remember when I got my copy of the game on PS4 Pro, I was so in shock I sell it right away to buy it later on PC and play it at the glorious 4K 60fps on PC.

SSfox

One of the best game of the last decade. I wish jokestar gave it a proper and more than deserved next gen upgrade, but lamestar is being lamestar as usual and all they seem to care about is keep sucking GTA v money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom