• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is three years old today

And all these years later it's still one fabulous looking game.

RDR2-2022-04-04-20-06-38-878.png

And all these years later it's still one fabulous looking game.

RDR2-2022-04-04-20-06-38-878.png

Agreed. Unfortunately the pic below is not the best example since (back when I was playing primarily with my 1070 Ti) I had to run at 1080p medium-ish settings to reach 60+ fps (for me, framerate is king above anything else).

But EVEN THEN, at 1080p mid settings...

SYontId.jpg

Also... a lot of side stories are funny as hell. Like this one -- I won't even leave a context, just the picture:

UM3PWz8.jpg

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Now that I have a 6900XT I'm gonna jack up those settings to max, Ultrawide, and you know I'm gonna be taking lots of pictures.

No, nothing.

Even if you assume that they will soon bring out such a patch, it will probably come in 2 years at the earliest. It took R* 2 years to release the "Next Gen Patch" for GTA V, too. Since RDO is not really updated any more, I don't expect R* to make the effort for such an update. They are probably concentrating fully on GTA VI and GTA Online now.

It' i quite a pity from my point of view. The single player is simply terrific. It's actually a shame that they don't give the game an appropriate update. They should have invested in a signee player expansion from the beginning.
It's downright SHAMEFUL of Rockstar to not update RDR2 for 60 fps on next gen consoles. They even have rdr2 online as a live service. Even if they're not making a lot of money there, to not give fans who've supported them and invested in new consoles a simple patch that they know would improve the gameplay (lord knows rdr2 needs 60 fps with its already somewhat unresponsive controls). It's just a plain ugly display of a lack of caring on their part.

Larxia

I understand the complaints about the controls but it is the most immersive and alive open world I have played. I find myself caring more about side characters than I do the protagonist of many games.
It was such a joy to explore this world, much better than 99% of other open worlds out there, and that is thanks to how immersive and lively it is.

Most open world games will follow a ubisoft style formula, with basic objectives already indicated on the map, and quite often repetitive task. In RDR2, you're going to a place, and during your journey you will encounter things that weren't indicated by icons before, lot of random event that are also actually interesting and funny. It really changes the way you're travelling, exploring. It feels a lot more organic, natural, than most games.

That's also without even talking about the evolution of the world, how you can follow NPCs and see what they're doing, their reaction to you, actions you did in the past having an impact and triggering something else in the future, houses getting build and being able to see the progress on these constructions during the course of the game, the forest with the lumberjack camp getting emptier and emptier because they're cutting trees, and there are possibly 100 more examples like this.

It's a special world to explore, it feels like an actual world you can explore rather than just a map you have to "complete".

Last edited:
Brilliant game.

Shits got everything...
GOAT protagonist
Brilliant story
Great music
Great gameplay
Fantastic physics
Amazing visuals
Topped off with an unmatched level of detail

This is art for me. Greatest game of all time imo.
Shut up, Trelawny.

Haha, just kidding. I agree with everything you said. Not my personal GOAT, but it's definitely one of the greatest I've played for sure.

Top Bottom