• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is three years old today

vishnu_raj_c

Neo Member
Proud Of You Reaction GIF

mxbison

I respect what they did with the world but I didn't enjoy the game that much.

Realism or not, that's not how a person moves. If you guys have that much weight and momentum while walking, you need to see a doctor.

Other thing that annoyed me is the crazy fail states during missions. Take cover behind the wrong tree and it's 'Mission Failed'. Really hurts the whole freedom and immersion.

One of the greatest games of all time. Loved my time with it on my first playthrough, and will certainly be going for more servings shown the line.

Shame we'll never get the first Red Dead Redemption on PC.

I loved the first but never got around to the sequel. Now it feels like there is no point in playing it given that I’m sure a remaster should be coming out any time now.

sinnergy

I respect what they did with the world but I didn't enjoy the game that much.

Realism or not, that's not how a person moves. If you guys have that much weight and momentum while walking, you need to see a doctor.

Other thing that annoyed me is the crazy fail states during missions. Take cover behind the wrong tree and it's 'Mission Failed'. Really hurts the whole freedom and immersion.
It’s probably a forward thinking engine design, the animation system would probably benefit greatly from current gen consoles, but as dev you can only do so much , so you have to make choices. Imagine what they can now do on Series and PS5.

Paasei

About time for the first of many remasters then. I had to wait for the PC version to make it playable. Did enjoy the story and setting. Gameplay not so much.

mxbison

It’s probably a forward thinking engine design, the animation system would probably benefit greatly from current gen consoles, but as dev you can only do so much , so you have to make choices. Imagine what they can now do on Series and PS5.

Yeah I might give it another go if they do a remaster.

Hoppa

Great game, top 3 of last gen for sure. I tried to play it again but I forgot how tedious and uneventful the intro is. At the time I ended up skipping the trapping/hunting/fishing and blitzed through the story, it improved the experience instantly.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Need to play this game still. Loved RDR, probably the best Rockstar campaign. Just a bit fatigued with their ‘gameplay’.

ClosBSAS

i installed last night...gonna give it another shot, so far the most overrated game along with gta 5.....looks very good though on my 3080ti, shits insane how they managed these graphics on last gen. but its so slow....

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Clunky shooting aside I really enjoyed my time with the game. Nice story, cool world and a level of attention to detail that makes it a very immersive experience.

Still want to double dip on PC, waiting for a deep sale.
Will Smith Slap GIF by Nightingale

Get that out ya system boy!
You'll ruin gaming for ya self because not all games worth playing will be pushing 60fps on Nextgen.
Naah leave the guy be. It's nice to have some standards.

Last edited:

Playing through for the first time on my series x. Looks great. Plays well.

Dont like the idea of crafting in games so hopefully can avoid that tedium. It could do with quick travel option. But pretty sweet otherwise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Playing through for the first time on my series x. Looks great. Plays well.

Dont like the idea of crafting in games so hopefully can avoid that tedium. It could do with quick travel option. But pretty sweet otherwise.
You don't have to worry about crafting too much, and you'll get a quick travel map in your camp.

rofif

Banned
Stealing one of my own screenshots from my (long ass) writeup in the Backlog 2022 thread.

Transcript of the conversation -- Guy on the right: "Uhhh.... can I get my own videogame?" Guy on the left: "Fuck you bitch, you already did, this is MY game." :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Cu8AdIk.jpg

Seriously though, Arthur Morgan is now my favorite video game protagonist.
That's how I feel. I like John as a charcter in the game but his part after ending kinda ruins the feeling of the ending. I would at least like to see credits before his part

soulbait

Oh yes, the game I have attempted to start 5+ times, but always get pulled out of it due to its slow animations and wanting to make things so realistic they forgot to add in the fun...

Larxia

I have a "theory" about why some people loved the game and others absolutely hated it because of the gameplay (outside of difference of tastes obviously).

I really took my time with this game, I finished it in about 150 hours, and I initially had no issues with the gameplay, I was actually expecting even more realistic stuff given how people talked about it, which imo is clearly exagerated. I really liked the world, the level of detail etc, it was so immersive, I loved exploring this open world which I think is one of the best open worlds too.

However, I was only doing story missions every now and then, often with multiple hours of open world between each, so story missions felt more like special event which kept things fresh when they happened. Later in the game though, when I was reaching the last third of the story, I didn't really have anything to explore anymore, and started playing story missions after story missions, and there, it became a bit less interesting to play.

Your gameplay is a lot more limited during story missions, sometimes you can't even really decide to walk to the left or right, it's all pre scripted and you can't do much outside of what the game has decided for you during this specific script. Because of this, I think people who hated the game are most likely people who mostly focused on the story missions and never really took their time with the open world. If you keep playing a lot of story missions one after another, they do start to feel too scripted and it can be frustrating at times.

I think the game is best experienced when you space the story missions a bit, and try to see what the world itself has to offer. It also explains why the people who liked it spent so much time with it compared to the ones who didn't love it, again, outside of obviously the taste differences, because it's not a little difference here, it's usually maybe 40 hours against 100-200 hours.

I did like the story though, I had a great time with it, I'm only talking about the gameplay aspect, how it can feel if you only do that.

Last edited:

Danknugz

tried playing it and never got past that first mission where you go to that house and the shootout

not because i didn't like it just never came back around to it yet

Top Bottom