• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Nymphae

Banned
Yes but it's sad that it's on by default (I assume)

Again with the condescension lol. One is not better than the other, it's a personal preference.

Do you have to repeat tapping to run, or is it like an on/off toggle?

Isn't it amazing how some game mechanics stick around for so long? Whoever came up with tapping X to run in GTA was a sadist, and it's amazing that it is STILL in the fucking series. It's such a clumsy attempt at making you feel like you're performing the action in some way.

Last edited:

Freeman76

This is what I was afraid of :(

Ignore that guy there is so much more to this, its overwhelming how much shit there is to do in this. The fact he is putting it down to go back to his yearly twitch shooter tells you all you need to know.

base

Banned
Just started the game. Playing on ks8000. Any recommendations for hdr calibration? 300 for oled, 100 for lcd according to the sceeen.

Armorian

Banned
Is there an alternative for holding X to maintain speed? My right thumb is throbbing at this point...

Yep, it's in the options, you can just press X once and character will run.

Depending on your budget they have 4 sizes to choose.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQQH86A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nice! I am going to check it out when I get home later.

Does this work for horseback when following your crew to maintain speed?

Nope, you have to hold X. I wish horse would auto. stick to the road at least like in W3.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just started the game. Playing on ks8000. Any recommendations for hdr calibration? 300 for oled, 100 for lcd according to the sceeen.
It seems to be a poor HDR implementation. I'm using 180 based off of the test screen, but it doesn't seem very good.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why do developers think this is FUN gameplay? Its horrible.. I hate it so much
I don't mind it, it's meant to convey a sense of urgency and tension and I think it is somewhat effective in doing that. I do appreciate that you can add multipliers or turn it off though. It might actually be one of the least offensive aspects of the controls.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't mind it, it's meant to convey a sense of urgency and tension and I think it is somewhat effective in doing that. I do appreciate that you can add multipliers or turn it off though. It might actually be one of the least offensive aspects of the controls.

Agreed, akin to how controls are in Souls games, margin of error, etc..

I do not want every game to control this way, but I do enjoy the weight/momentum it gives, and how the characters feel "grounded" and not superhuman all the time.

Last edited:

Venuspower

I am shocked that R* still is not able to provide 7.1 surround sound.
I really hoped they will get this right with RDR2.

But thats the only flaw so far I have found.

Nope, you have to hold X. I wish horse would auto. stick to the road at least like in W3.

I really hoped this would be in the game. I liked the implementation in AC Origins myself. It was similar to TW3 but I thought it was a bit smoother. Needing to old the x button for the long rides is really annoying. Basically like a forced walking segment, just make it a cutscene so I can go make some coffee or take a leak.

That said it is a really minor complaint and I am loving this game. Just need to wrap up a couple more hours of work and then back at it!

BONDO

Anybody grab the strat guide? Normally I laugh at these but I last time I grabbed one was for GTAV on sale- finding it quite useful.
If you got one....thoughts?

Unity2012

It's been said but, this game is absolutely beautiful and feels alive. It reminds me of the first time I played Skyrim, on the sense that I knew I was going to spend a long time within that world. Amazing achievement by R*.

Bluecondor

Anybody grab the strat guide? Normally I laugh at these but I last time I grabbed one was for GTAV on sale- finding it quite useful.
If you got one....thoughts?

I agree with you - this is the type of game that is a good fit for a strategy guide - especially if you plan on completing every activity in the game (which is me). I haven't bought one yet, but I am probably going to pick one up at some point.

Nymphae

Banned
I know what you mean, and I do use internet sites for game hints, but when you have a large number of collectables, the guide can really make things streamlined.

I've always found them more of a chore than simply printing off some checklists. If they were spiral bound, I would agree with you, but they never are.

Edit: I had the Fallout 3 hardcover guide when that came out, and regretted it because it was just very unwieldy. These days If I'm looking for collectibles, I'm using youtube videos.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I bought the Breath of the Wild one which was also Penguin. I could not read it because the text was too tiny. I'm holding off until I see an example.

dolabla

Finally got around to playing it today. Could not stay up last night.

Man, the game looks fantastic in 4K. The X is a beast. I know this game has got to be pushing it and it's as quiet as can be.

Yeah, it's slow right now but I'm still loving it. I'm sure things will start to pick up soon.

Incredible game, the atmosphere and music are some of the best I've seen heard in a game. It's crazy to hear all the negative comments nitpicking things like it being too slow, the animations, Etc. The animations are top-notch and really add to the immersion in the game. I'm only a couple hours in in the game feels like an epic adventure

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1c0tists9cu11.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had the worst luck with traveling after the prologue. The part where
Your wheel gets knocked off and you have to put it back on. I made it all the way to camp. Right after the guy tells you to slow down, so he can hop on board. I went through the trees and got stuck on a tree trunk. The horses were walking in place and I wasn't moving. It ended up ending the mission and I had to start all the way at the beginning where we put the wheel on. OMG!

BONDO

I'm shocked people still buy these when they have internet connections.

You are 100% right mostly. Like I mentioned GTAV was the only time I picked one up - it was pretty convenient having it right in front of me.
Between maps, stats, missions it a pretty convienient one stop shop without having to bust out the phone or laptop to search every single thing individually.

This only applies to R* games though due to their sheer scope and detail.

*To me YouTube videos are a pain in the ass. I use em regularly for things like Destiny etc. Guess it depends on the game.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
You are 100% right mostly. Like I mentioned GTAV was the only time I picked one up - it was pretty convenient having it right in front of me.
Between maps, stats, missions it a pretty convienient one stop shop without having to bust out the phone or laptop to search every single thing individually.

This only applies to R* games though due to their sheer scope and detail.

*To me YouTube videos are a pain in the ass. I use em regularly for things like Destiny etc. Guess it depends on the game.

Actually yeah, I don't use YT videos for collectables, mostly I use them for getting past something specific I can't figure out.

For collectibles, I'm almost always going to a blog or outlet article that has nice embedded images of the locations for both map and on-screen.

I wish more games would do the Infamous thing and just let me ping for any hidden collectibles. It made looking for that stuff fun.

ebevan91

I saw a guy kill a girl so I shot him. Then a witness came up and shot me. So I shot him, and all hell broke loose. So I reloaded my save from a few minutes earlier.

Maybe it was because I was looting the dead bodies...

Freeman76

This could easily end up being my game of all time.

Only jarring thing for me on X is the clouds look shit and its really contrasting with the super sharp quality of everything else.

Bought on ps4pro even though I have an X, friends are on playstation, so it's bros before (graphic) hoes.

Fucking hate you Rockstar, give me the pc version. ;(

Just to add my two cents.

Played the first 2 hours up until right before the train. Took my time and turned off the HUD. Man, is it pulling me in with the atmosphere.

I usually tend to rush through SP games because I stick to the main story and everything else is usually added as just gaming filler. But this.......... I am allowing myself to actually soak in a game rather than rush back to my usual MP FPS games (I tend to enjoy the social aspect of multiplayer) and I enjoy that the beginning is paced methodically. To me it mimics exactly what so many western movies are.

Why I think people say the beginning is slow is because the game is deliberate in what it wants to do. The beginning is finely crafted to ease you into systems while engrossing you in what the actual West was like. People may not want that from the game, but I think it is a breath of fresh air. Too many games these days play off the ever increasing nature of people to need stimulation. I find that this game is, so far, the antithesis of that. It revels in the untamed West and I applaud them for being brave enough to do it in a world of increasing stimulation.

Some people don't like it. That is fine. But personally I am enjoying the contrast between this and all the other high octane games that come out left and right. It's like I get to experience the western movie and life. I'm a lawyer in California so this is the closest I will ever get haha.

The controls could be tightened a bit more though. Not a huge issue for me but I'll be messing with some settings when I get back to it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So i didnt like the start of this game at all.
In my honest opinion zelda botw did it way better.

I just reached the more free mode
I hope it gets better from now on.

That intro showed me how tired i am of tutorials in games

Top Bottom