• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

I really had no idea I would be so engaged with the characters and the story. And I've really grown quite fond of Arthur so far. And I'm still in the first 3 hours. I have never been this engrossed with a Rockstar game's story before. It's on another level in so many ways. I am honestly just in awe.

drotahorror

I thought I was just an idiot but my game is bugged out from the get-go. Right at the beginning when you start searching the house you get food and whatnot. Dutch says you should eat something and it teaches you how to use your satchel.

That never happened to me, I've fully looted the house and nothing is happening at all. Lame. Guess I have to restart the game.

MilesTeg

Banned
I'm guessing this is a parody of the Witcher 3. I mean, everything is pretty much Witcher so far, except it's just kind if making fun of the Witcher. Which is guess is funny and all. Just so wondering at this point how much more until they maybe shred the parody.

The small ass font, holding down buttons instead of just pressing them, pointless garbage to horde from barrels and corpse s. The best part yet was picking up a letter, unable to read it, select read, then having to squint to read the text, then a voice says "now that's how it's done" .

The long ass rides and that lame sense thing that highlights a trail or whatever.

I feel like the game is just making fun of Witcher 3 since the start.

MilesTeg

Banned
Robbing the train at the beginning is kinda funny,. What's that, some bonds or something. Yeah we can probably sell that. Now kill these hostages.

And at the very beginning where the guy sets the house on fire, and everyone casually rides off as the whole thing burns down.

The beginning of this game is really slow. Also the part you actually play is totally meh... but I'm still way too early into the game.

Aintitcool

Banned
Well this morning I got back on the horse, and I am on chapter 2 in the new camp, the snow is gone, and all I want to do is shoot people with arrows. So once I headshot someone off a horse it respawns me at base. Okay I do more missions and go to town. Take out the gun to fire a warning shot at someone harrassing my women, law reported mission ends.

Is this really an outlaw open world simulator?

Anyway now I am the part of the game where I can murder in the town and wow, 15 dollar bounty. Just need to sell 4 packs of tabacco for paying the crime of murdering a man in daylight of civilation. :(

This game starts way too slow. Starts very ugly first foot in, and there are many immersion breaking glitches, more than GTA5.

The music is incredible though, environments really are the best ever made sometimes encouraging First Person mode very much. Not the game of my dreams though. Writing is HBO series quality and so is the acting and more.

Last edited:

JDTR1992

Neo Member
Does this game look a little dark? Not saying im unable to see i mean the brightness seems so low on HDR and i have my brightness at max

xviper

played about 6 hours

the gameplay is kinda slow, now i know that Rockstar's games always have bad controls, but i'm talking about the gunplay, something is off about it, it's not like RDR1, it's still amazing though

i never really cared about RDR 1 SP except for hunting, sadly this is ruined by realism in RDR 2

the game has potential but it's slowed down by trying to be realistic, games are supposed to be fun, not realistic

i hope they didn't fuck up the MP, because that's what made RDR 1 a masterpiece for me

also the prologue is boring as fuck, 2 fucking hours of horse riding simulator

Last edited:

Freeman76

I feel like i rushed the snowy area you start in, can I go back there and it still have that weather?

Not sure if you are meant to free roam at that point or just stick to the rails?

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
also the prologue is boring as fuck, 2 fucking hours of horse riding simulator

Yeah, that prologue was LLLLOOOONNNGGGGG and boring to be honest. I just got to the new camp and hope it opens up a bit, game is amazing but far too early on me to comment on it. A few negatives are that there is so much going on mechanic wise and the small text makes it so difficult to figure out if it's important yet. I have no idea about how much food I'm meant to be eating, tonics, herbs, meat... can I just eat that raw, if I cook it, it will obviously be better....

This was my most hyped game of the year but I don't want to be bogged down by eating in a game when all I want to do is just go and fish or blast some sheriffs. Not meaning to be negative as I am sure I will pick up all these mechanics, just initial impressions.

I feel like i rushed the snowy area you start in, can I go back there and it still have that weather?

You can replay missions but I think that blizzard is gone in the free roam...….. not sure though

Last edited:

xviper

Yeah, that prologue was LLLLOOOONNNGGGGG and boring to be honest. I just got to the new camp and hope it opens up a bit, game is amazing but far too early on me to comment on it. A few negatives are that there is so much going on mechanic wise and the small text makes it so difficult to figure out if it's important yet. I have no idea about how much food I'm meant to be eating, tonics, herbs, meat... can I just eat that raw, if I cook it, it will obviously be better....

This was my most hyped game of the year but I don't want to be bogged down by eating in a game when all I want to do is just go and fish or blast some sheriffs. Not meaning to be negative as I am sure I will pick up all these mechanics, just initial impressions.

i feel like the aim for realism has limited the fun factor

un1que

Has anyone played the bank heist and gang hideout dlc from the special edition? Is it worth the extra money?

Dunki

Also to note. Am I the only one that accidentally uses R2 for aiming instead of L2? I had it a few times already that I shot someone because of it XD

Caayn

Just completed the prologue and wandered a bit around in the spring/summer.

The prologue felt like a slog with the over abundance of walk and talk scenes, even to the point where the game completely ignores your input as long you give it any input. For example the section where you unspool the wire and connect it to the detonator, it doesn't matter if you push the analogue stick left, right or forward your character moves forward.

Not to happy about the inclusion of the survival mechanics and that tap "A"/"X" to sprint still exists.

Foxbat

Banned
Just a heads up for anybody still on the fence. I just bought digital standard for the XB1X, and the preorder content is still included.

Ogbert

As expected. Rockstar given a complete pass on gameplay and controls.

Honestly, video game journalists are fucking pointless.

Well, the game is beautiful. It's really an acomplishment. The details, the draw distance, the light are all stunning. Voice acting is great.

I just finished the first area and now i'm free to roam. But now i need to go to work.

The character feels heavy to control and the commands are sometimes confusing. The aim assist is crap. I tried tweaking it but in my experience it's either snap to target or no aim assist. Makes me appreciate Bungie's aim assist magic even more.

And some animations, although realistic take took long. Like looting a body or skinning an animal. Realistic doesn't mean fun. I can see me completely ignoring these mechanics after a few hours.

Last edited:

BONDO

Soooo, im at work and cant play till later on this evening. Lets get some pretty screenshots up in here - all consoles!!!

Acidizer

Banned
Aim assist is an abomination. Maybe as well just watch a Clint Eastwood movie.

Will be turning that shit off first thing, turned it off in RDR1 and it was not bad at all (for a Rockstar game)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anyone on base PS4 playing it? How is it? I know DF said the framerate can tank in towns.

I am, on my 4K set. It looks fantastic, nice and crisp (I can only imagine the texture pack on the Pro/X), and thank goodness we do not play with the zoomed in screenshots ;). There are dips, but nothing "game breaking", and is very serviceable.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Aim assist is an abomination. Maybe as well just watch a Clint Eastwood movie.

If this is anything like MP and GTA, I prefer their aim assist. I'm not trying to win hand eye coordination awards, I'm trying to have fun. I enjoy the Rockstar soft lock, you snap to a body and then finesse your aim for headshots. Why bitch about this feature when you can turn it off?

GC_DALBEN

Looks like its a great game, bought mine on Xbox and will be playing in a few hours, cant wait, RDR was so good, one of the best games i ever played.

Sorry about my english, still learning.

Acidizer

Banned
Aim assist plays the game for you. Thinking you need it turned on without even trying it off is defeatist, it's way more fun (for me) with that crap turned off... line up your own shots, or lead the target and let them fall into your line of sight then POW! Much more satisfying, this is a western not a visual novel if you don't do your own shooting what is left but to soak up the ambiance? Plus isn't there slow-mo also?

There's good aim assist (destiny) and terrible aim assist (RDR2). Just because you can turn it off doesn't make it any less terrible.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If this is anything like MP and GTA, I prefer their aim assist. I'm not trying to win hand eye coordination awards, I'm trying to have fun. I enjoy the Rockstar soft lock, you snap to a body and then finesse your aim for headshots. Why bitch about this feature when you can turn it off?

Aim assist plays the game for you. Thinking you need it turned on without even trying it off is defeatist, it's way more fun (for me) with that crap turned off... line up your own shots, or lead the target and let them fall into your line of sight then POW! Much more satisfying, this is a western not a visual novel if you don't do your own shooting what is left but to soak up the ambiance? Plus isn't there slow-mo also?

It is a good thing we have options for those who prefer their style of play.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
There is one nice option in "controls" menu, changing running from holding the button to just tapping it - it's a gamechanger for me.

Nymphae

Banned

Pretty sure soft locking allows me to free aim as well. A half press will simply raise the targeting reticle allowing free aim. A full press will snap to target, and then easing up on the lock on allows you to finesse the controls for limb shots. At least I hope this is how it works in this game, I believe this is how it works in MP3. I don't understand the condescension towards people who don't want to bother with console analog free aim. Both options can be fun.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

I am, on my 4K set. It looks fantastic, nice and crisp (I can only imagine the texture pack on the Pro/X), and thank goodness we do not play with the zoomed in screenshots ;). There are dips, but nothing "game breaking", and is very serviceable.

Probably pick it up soon. Almost out of space on PS4 now, need to get a external hard drive first. I hear this game is over 100 gigs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is one nice option in "controls" menu, changing running from holding the button to just tapping it - it's a gamechanger for me.

Do you have to repeat tapping to run, or is it like an on/off toggle?

Probably pick it up soon. Almost out of space on PS4 now, need to get a external hard drive first. I hear this game is over 100 gigs.

It is currently sitting at 98.15 (I think), but expect that to grow once online hits next month.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
It is a good thing we have options for those who prefer their style of play.

Yes but it's sad that it's on by default (I assume) and that their mechanics are as such that we even need it at all. MGS V... that was OUTSTANDING 3rd person controls. Fluid, precise and sexual.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The game is amazing for the technical perspective. The first chapter was really slow and boring. It felt more like watching a movie then playing a game. I’m just starting chapter 2 now so I am hoping it opens up a bit more now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes but it's sad that it's on by default (I assume) and that their mechanics are as such that we even need it at all. MGS V... that was OUTSTANDING 3rd person controls. Fluid, precise and sexual.

I kind of like the clumsiness/weight/momentum of the controls personally for this game (as I did the first one as well). I never played MGSV.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So I've turned the deadzone all the way down and the controls are much better, but still crap. Any other setting changes to that help?

GenericUser

I played for like 4 hours, graphics are amazing, but the gameplay has not really evolved since GTA5. The same boring ride to destination for 10 minutes, shoot stuff and repeat shit that plagues rockstars games. Back to black ops 4 for now.

Inviusx

Is there an alternative for holding X to maintain speed? My right thumb is throbbing at this point...

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I played for like 4 hours, graphics are amazing, but the gameplay has not really evolved since GTA5. The same boring ride to destination for 10 minutes, shoot stuff and repeat shit that plagues rockstars games. Back to black ops 4 for now.

This is what I was afraid of :(

Top Bottom