• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Faction: Guerrilla Single-Player Demo Early Access for UK / Europe

Zeliard

The destruction tech is pretty marvelous. I watched one building slowly crumple under its own weight over time after I blew one of its supports up. It was quite a sight. At first it seemed like it would stay up, but then it began to wobble a bit and couldn't hold itself up any longer after that. Watching it fall looked really cool, since it fell in a logical, methodical way.

I also love the quasi-open-ended nature of the gameplay in the demo. If the rest of the game is like that, or even more open, then all the better. Give me this destructibility and open areas to play around in and I'm game.

HaL64 said:
Ya this is one of those demos you can play and do something different every time. I actually found a path that only required I just kill one guy before getting to the walker. Basically, stay to the left and there are some hidden paths. And eventually you can get the drop on the walker building guards. Jump on the roof, break through the glass ceiling and land on the walker. :D
that's exactly what i did the 3rd time thru!

HaL64 said:
Ya this is one of those demos you can play and do something different every time. I actually found a path that only required I just kill one guy before getting to the walker. Basically, stay to the left and there are some hidden paths. And eventually you can get the drop on the walker building guards. Jump on the roof, break through the glass ceiling and land on the walker. :D
Did exactly the same thing. And everytime I play I suprise the first guy so that the rest of the soldiers aren't alerted. Pretty great playing stealthy with the hammer.

glaurung

Mr. Durden said:
Did exactly the same thing. And everytime I play I suprise the first guy so that the rest of the soldiers aren't alerted. Pretty great playing stealthy with the hammer.

STEALTH HAMMER.

Hmm. When are they releasing the demo for the general public again?

Ramenman

So there was like a "strictly limited" number of keys yet people can still have them by registering now ?

That's quite lovely strict limitation :p

Got a PS3 key twenty minutes ago. Played a couple of times. Approaching the walker can be done in all kinds of ways, but I mostly got sidetracked trying to take down the buildings.

The chase sequence was cool but a bit over-powered. Just blowing everything up with barely any reload time is fun but gets old quickly. Hopefully there aren't that many chases in the full game.

Ramenman

I actually found a path that only required I just kill one guy before getting to the walker. Basically, stay to the left and there are some hidden paths. And eventually you can get the drop on the walker building guards. Jump on the roof, break through the glass ceiling and land on the walker.

I just discovered this path, I was like "what the hell" when I landed right behind the Walker garage, and my alert level was barely yellow.

One other awesome thing I discovered is not taking the Walker when you land there, go around the building, nicely hammer down the guy behind, and take control of the nice bluie laser-turret, and shoot the upcoming guys.

The effect is akin to the one you get by shooting the tanks in the chase scene, except there's only human bodies, and everything quickly turn in a most delightful and graceful aerial ballet :lol

Playing with corpses is another thing they get right, I also love how you can push them around as long as you want just by running into them.

Mesijs

Wow, I LOVE this one. What a great demo. The destructibility is just insane and quite believable. Can't wait for the big open world to wreack havoc in!

I really want to love this game but it feels very much like a "B" game.

Horrible AI, bland graphics, ok Combat, GREAT Destruction.

It seems like a solid 7.5/10 type game. But not worth full price IMO.

Again thats just going by the demo.

Seems more like Game of The Generation material to me, but hey. It might be because I don't have time to really sink into games these days, but I really appreciate a game that offers immediate fun, and let's me come up with my own strategies of destruction.

raYne

AltogetherAndrews said:
Seems more like Game of The Generation material to me, but hey. It might be because I don't have time to really sink into games these days, but I really appreciate a game that offers immediate fun, and let's me come up with my own strategies of destruction.
This is the best part to me. Not just the destruction, but what you can do with it. How it opens up a lot of options both offensively and defensively etc.

Fireflu

Kabuki Waq said:
I really want to love this game but it feels very much like a "B" game.

Horrible AI, bland graphics, ok Combat, GREAT Destruction.

It seems like a solid 7.5/10 type game. But not worth full price IMO.

Again thats just going by the demo.
aww come on, its just a demo, never rate a game based on a demo!
Besides, one of the big key features going for this game is of course the vast sandbox environment (something that just cannot be effectively shown in such a small portion of the game)

But that aside i personally like where the graphics are at, sure there not the best we've seen thus far but based on the explosion effects alone im happy with it.

Also multiplayer is immense.

Vyse The Legend said:
Played the demo, and now, I'm hoping Prototype sucks, so I can pick this up instead. :lol

I've been sort of thinking the same thing. I was initially excited about Prototype (mostly) because of the sheer mad destructive appeal, but now I'm not sure if I really need both of them. Maybe I'll just rent Prototype.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
raYne said:
This is the best part to me. Not just the destruction, but what you can do with it. How it opens up a lot of options both offensively and defensively etc.
Precisely. The destruction here is so dynamic in comparison to what most games attempt. Mercs 2, for instance, pimped the fact that you could destroy so much of the world, but they simply used the old model swap trick (or lowered the building into the ground with particles around it). It looked and felt cheap in comparison.

Red Faction takes what we saw in Crysis to a new level.

sullytao

dark10x said:
Precisely. The destruction here is so dynamic in comparison to what most games attempt. Mercs 2, for instance, pimped the fact that you could destroy so much of the world, but they simply used the old model swap trick (or lowered the building into the ground with particles around it). It looked and felt cheap in comparison.

Red Faction takes what we saw in Crysis to a new level.

I believe Crysis used the old switch-a-roo aswell.

S1kkZ

Hammer24 said:
*nods sadly*

the game still has no rating? wtf is going on?
@thq: just let the german rating board aprove a censored version (you dont have to release it, just to get the rating), so that we can have the demo and the dlc. no usk rating means no dlc for germany.

Hammer24

Banned
S1kkZ said:
@thq: just let the german rating board aprove a censored version (you dont have to release it, just to get the rating), so that we can have the demo and the dlc. no usk rating means no dlc for germany.

Thats exactly what they should do.
Getting the game from UK, Austria, Netherlands or whereever is no problem at all - but being cut off from DLC will ensure the game will have neither appeal nor traction here. (see: Gears2 for a bad example)

Fireflu said:
aww come on, its just a demo, never rate a game based on a demo!
Besides, one of the big key features going for this game is of course the vast sandbox environment (something that just cannot be effectively shown in such a small portion of the game)

But that aside i personally like where the graphics are at, sure there not the best we've seen thus far but based on the explosion effects alone im happy with it.

Also multiplayer is immense.

oh the full game can be much better but it could also be worse. I dont see why people are calling it GREAT or one gen ahead based on this demo alone. I mean there is NO AI.

The open-ended destruction is great fun and wonderfully cool, but the framerate/tearing issues are so hideous it's almost not worth it. Those saying "Game of the generation!" evidently aren't willing to admit that this engine actually isn't capable of supporting the destruction model. Which is too bad, because otherwise the game plays well.

Ramenman

I loved the demo, I played it a thousand times, you'll see from y previous posts that I'm really pumped, the "a gen ahead" shouldn't be taken seriously and/or needs to die. And not just for this game, it's just stupid, no matter what game you're considering.

Thankfully it's not mentionned a lot here.

I didn't have that much problems with framerate and tearing though.

Nizz

BruceLeeRoy said:
Wow lots of positive impressions in here I might have to check this out.
Yeah, I'm definitely trying this out later today. Hopefully PSN updates on time again this week.

burgerdog

Brakara

Ramenman said:
I didn't have that much problems with framerate and tearing though.

I wouldn't say I had any problems with that either, but you can definitely notice tearing if you're paying attention. It's a small price to pay for that destruction engine though. Well, that and the absymal AI. Also, please tell me only the demo has that shitty mission timer. But beside those issues, the demo was great.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game is downright fantastic.

I can't wait to play the metagame, where everything you blow up raises morale in your sector and gives you loot.

I've replayed the demo about 6 times now. I don't think I've ever played a demo that much in one sitting.

FlyinJ said:
This game is downright fantastic.

I can't wait to play the metagame, where everything you blow up raises morale in your sector and gives you loot.

I've replayed the demo about 6 times now. I don't think I've ever played a demo that much in one sitting.

Awesome to hear :D

billy.sea

Banned
wow this game feels so much different than the 1st game in the series now. It seems to turn a story-driven FPS into a massive 3rd person beat/shoot them up.

I enjoy the demo a lot though, it's like GTA on crack. Open ended, stealing cars, exploding things, killing innocents.

This game is the most impressive game to me technically this gen. Say what you want about Kill Zone or other graphically impressive games, but none of that is really new. This level of destruction is incredible and I haven't seen its equal thus far.

Surprisingly enough Fracture is my second most impressive game technically. The phsyics there are beautiful.

I am a guy who LOVED the MP in Red Faction (RF or RF2..cant remember lol), the "Lobby" room was so amazing to me and this game feels NOTHING like that. Still, I enjoyed it but I wish the AI was better, and the fights were more dynamic. Its all about the buildings here which is still crazy but it feels a little lacking because the enemy encounters are below average.

Thats just going by the demo though, I am still looking forward to the full game, it has lots of potential. Oh, I doubt the tearing will get resolved (PS3), it made uncharted look like Quake 3.

Top Bottom