• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit analyses protein powder; advertised protein percentage vs actual protein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilaul

Edit:

This site does up-to-date lab tests on individual protein powders:

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein#leaderboards

Updated Reddit Graph

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/1qgww1/tested_top_50_protein_supplements/cddsxna
(Thanks to Rhaxas for finding this)

2 Old year old stuff:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/uva9t/big_reddit_protein_powder_measurement_results/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE#gid=0

NrnDegH.png

CicZICd.jpg

The Graph is pretty old and hasn't been updated for a while; but still proves a point. You could Google anything missing. A protein review usually reviews taste and how well it mixes but never tests the actual content. I guess if people actually had the equipment to do so; then these companies would stop sending in their shitty samples all the time. A lot of these 5 star proteins may be reviewed poorly after.

Use me as your protein source if allready posted here.

Halcyon

I switched off the body fortress last month because of these findings. I still keep it cheap with the pure protein but I might get another tub of ON at some point.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
ON Whey sets the bar high and keeps it high. Never settle for anything less.

NOW whey isolate has the highest actual percentage at 70. ON claims 56% and has 51% protein.

ON isn't that great, its half whey concentrate but this proves they have great marketing

DJ_Lae

Haha, holy shit at American Pure. Half a gram of protein yet they claim the second highest of any of them?

What on earth is even in there to have protein that low? I could probably get more from eating vegetables.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ON and NOW are the only protein supplements I've been using for many years now. NOW's unflavored isolate is the best whey I've found in terms of not causing any digestive irritation.

Imm0rt4l

I like how gaspari is struggle protein tier but they charge a premium.

I wonder if Imm0rt4l is still on dat struggle ass $20 Body Fortress

I am :(

I just bought a 5 lb tub of allmax isoflex, I hear good things, but haven't read any tests on it.

I've been on that walmart brand forever.

alejob

Oh dang! But I love the body fortress strawberry stuff. :(

Glad I didn't buy another last week. Now I have to figure out what to buy.

SO a scoop of body fortress claimed 26 grams. So its actually closer to 13 grams? I feel so used...

I've been using ON products for years now. Someone mentioned earlier about NOW protein; I will research them.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have been drinking Optimal Results (whey protein matrix) lately but I don't see it anywhere in the graph, hope i'm not doing it wrong :(

Guy should work the costs in there, too. I think the protein grams/dollar amount would be the most immediately useful information.

Laekon

NOW whey isolate has the highest actual percentage at 70. ON claims 56% and has 51% protein.

ON isn't that great, its half whey concentrate but this proves they have great marketing

There are 3 different ON products on the chart. The standard one is 63%. It's still below the NOW but looking at Amazon the pricing is better for the ON.

Einbroch

Banned
I have Body Fortress.

Whoops.

Edit: Well, actually, it's still within 10% of the best ones. I don't care what they claim, as I just bought it because it was the cheapest.

Anjelus_

Thank goodness I've always gotten ON.

My vegan girlfriend has used some of those non-whey powders though. Won't be buying those again now.

Nilaul

The Graph is pretty old and hasn't been updated for a while; but still proves a point. Guess we could use google for any missing.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Thank fuck MyProtein is right up there otherwise I'd feel like a total chump for buying so much impact whey isolate from them

Haha, same here. I heard they were a great European brand and most likely have higher standard. Got that 50% deal when they had it. I got 25lbs of Myprotein for $100. :)

Zzoram

They should send the lab reports to the USFDA and make a formal complaint. That will force the FDA to take some action to curb the blatantly deceptive labelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom