• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit analyses protein powder; advertised protein percentage vs actual protein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isopure is my go-to, and works for the most part. Full on agree with what everyone is noting...supplements are just that. Supplements to diet to get a few more calories. Eat good lean proteins wherever possible, and supplement to hit macros (if you're tracking).

rtcn63

Protein powders are mostly a scam anyway. You do not need 20dkg+ protein a day, because that is not how muscle is built in your body. It is not a direct correlation.

Protein supplements can be very useful if one is in a cutting phase, as the protein helps spare the loss of lean body mass. If you're in a significant calorie deficit, that means less food, probably less protein, so. Good quality powder combined with fat-free milk/water has a nice protein-per-calories ratio (if that make sense), and at worse, it can aid in covering days where you just don't feel like eating chicken breasts for every meal.

Magilla

Banned
Man this sucks. I switched to Nutribotic Rice protein because some of the other brands were giving me horrible stomach irritation. Back to the drawing board. :(

Jeez, I got scared when I saw this because if all these more common proteins were getting shit on, I was wondering where mine was. Surprisingly, Garden of Life Raw Protein is #2 on their board. Very nice.

Looking forward to seeing the Dymatize isolate results.

They did, 88.9% protein

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/1qgww1/tested_top_50_protein_supplements/cddsxna

Some of that graph again is misleading. The mass gainers should be in a different category. As should some of the proteins that market themselves as a MRP which provide additional fat content.
Further still some state on their label that they add supplements like Creatine and Glutamine which will bring down the overall protein per serving.
These charts are good if you are looking for a powder that is purely protein, but not all of the powders in the chart are marketing themselves that way

I use this currently Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein
before i was Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard

but should i go NOW or something?

ON Gold Standard 100% Is okay?

isIXUcVBq8mRn.gif

I'll keep using it then.

Quixzlizx

I've got to agree, I've pretty much stopped taking protein shakes after years of use.
Once in a while before bed if I am hungry or have a sweet tooth I will down a casein and milk shake, this is rare and I've had the same 2 lb tub since July. For the most part I just stick to good dieting. Post workout I will eat grilled chicken with a vegetable instead of downing a shake and then maybe 90 minutes later have a larger meal. Amazingly my dick hasn't flown off, my strength continues to go up and I'm still in great shape.

Supplement industry has some exceptional marketing though so a lot of dudes drink protein. The ads in magazines are great with ripped guys drinking some delicious cocktail as if that's what got them huge or ripped. The normal test production in males is between 4-11mg per day depending on age, these guys are shooting 600mg of it every 3 days or so, and I bet they attribute their physique more to their diet and cycle than a protein shake. They most likely down those shakes because the massive increase in protein synthesis from the juice lets them take in a ridiculous amount of protein.

Protein shakes serve one great purpose, and that is convenience. Proper diet will have more of an effect on your body composition than these shakes ever will.

I don't really disagree with you here, but some people don't have the appetite to eat two meals in 90 minutes.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I wish somebody could make similar tests with creatine...

I know for a fact that plenty of manufacturers claiming to use "pure creatine" are mixing it with God knows what.

Damaniel

Banned
All I see in these results is that even the supposedly 'best' protein brands are shorting you by at least 10 percent. Also, American Pure Whey should be ashamed.

Lerozz

They should do that for protein bars. Would be interesting to see how Quest Bars do in comparison with the competition.

<- ON + Quest Bars guy

hitsugi

No surprises with ON being up top. It's a solid all-around protein powder in terms of taste, texture, price, and actual protein content.

Lerozz

Don't think I've ever tried the ON ones, but I've had about 60 other ones (seriously, I kept a list) and nothing came close to the quest bars.

Edit - 66 actually. :D

No, no. Did not talk about ON bars, I think there are none.

I use their whey. XD

66, that's quite a list then.

I don't really disagree with you here, but some people don't have the appetite to eat two meals in 90 minutes.

The post workout chicken isn't really a meal but a snack ,a quick way to get protein in my system once I've worked out, I prefer to wait a while after my workout for a heavier meal.
I've also found a way to cook my meals ahead of time for the week. Basically I spend a couple hours on Sunday preparing and freezing my meals for the week ahead.
I hit up Costco and get 8 lbs of chicken breast, I butcher that myself and grill it into 6 ounce portions, freeze it in ziplock freezer bags. Defrost as needed the night before in the fridge.
4 or 5 crowns of broccoli get steamed for 20 minutes then immediately frozen to go with the grilled chicken.
Also get 4 lbs of ground turkey and make a turkey meatloaf out of that which I cook with broccoli on the inside of it and root vegetables such as sweet potato, beets, and turnips in the roasting pan.
Another 3lbs of grass fed ground beef which I will make chili with, throw in random veggies
I'll also cook about 2 cups of steel cut oats, fill up mason jars and seal them up in the fridge with some walnuts for the week.

The prep work is under 2 hours with cutting up veggies and preparing the chicken, the rest of the stuff like oatmeal, chili, and meatloaf cook themselves.

The only thing I end up having to cook daily are my eggs to go with the oatmeal for breakfast. If I eat out I usually go to a portugese bbq and get half roasted chickens with vegetables or some kind of grilled fish.

Full disclosure, it's winter now, and I'm not as strict with the diet as I tend to get from February - August.

entremet

I wish somebody could make similar tests with creatine...

I know for a fact that plenty of manufacturers claiming to use "pure creatine" are mixing it with God knows what.

There's also the fact that some are non responders to Creatine. A good amount actually. I forget the percentage.

RayMaker

Banned
What if you are on the struggle, though. Your food budget would be outrageous.

on the struggle? If you mean if you are struggling for money, you can buy food cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNctsEFp7Zs

protein shakes can be convenient and good when your craving something sweet its better then eating ice cream or something.

but most people buy protein shakes thinking its better for the fitness goals then food.

It isnt.

Protein supplements can be very useful if one is in a cutting phase, as the protein helps spare the loss of lean body mass. If you're in a significant calorie deficit, that means less food, probably less protein, so. Good quality powder combined with fat-free milk/water has a nice protein-per-calories ratio (if that make sense), and at worse, it can aid in covering days where you just don't feel like eating chicken breasts for every meal.

Great post

Footos22

ON double rich chocolate, is the only one ive ever used as it tastes so good. and is a decent price normally.

Turns out it was a good impulse buy. Never used supplements before this. i used to just buy packs of sandwich chicken and eat that as a snack it was far cheaper and has same protein content lol

I use this currently Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein
before i was Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard

but should i go NOW or something?

As I indicated in my earlier post, the wrong thing to take away from this data is that only column M - the ratio of measure to claimed protein content - matters.

Do you like your protein flavored, out of the canister? Get the ON.

Do you prefer to mix your protein with water? Try the NOW because it's more soluble.

Is cost per actual gram of protein a factor? Get the ON.

Do you prefer to mix your own flavors or add more protein to other foods (baked goods, for example)? Try the NOW because it's unflavored.

Is overall calorie count per gram of protein a factor? Get the NOW. The top line ON Performance Whey in that chart has 8kcal/1g of protein. The NOW has 5.5kcal/1g of protein.

There are different qualities that you are going to want to look for based on your budget, preferences, and diet goals.

I have used both ON and NOW and just tried NOW for the first time a few weeks back. So far, my preference is for the NOW, even though it's a bit more expensive. It dissolves easily (tried with water, almond milk, and milk) and I like to mix it with different ingredients to mix up the flavor. If you get a chocolate base ON, it's hard to mix it with fruits or vegetables. If you get a fruit base ON, it's hard to mix it with coffee. Vanilla might be a good compromise, but there's about 50 more calories in the ON to get the same 20g of protein as the NOW.

I would say that my takeaway is that folks should try a bunch of different brands and see what works. There is the quantitative data as presented in the table, and then there is the qualitative factors that you can't really capture like taste, solubility, shelf life, etc. Experiment and try some different brands that have good protein content to see what works for you.

BPoole

I use Muscle Tech protein but that doesn't seem to be on the chart. I would say its at least decent considering the gains I've made since January

Degen

Is this grounds for a class action lawsuit?
yeah, I don't see how not being FDA-regulated makes this kind of false advertising ok

Not experiencing the advertised results of nutrition supplements is the risk we agree to take when we buy them

but there's no excuse for a company labeling a product as 79% when it's actually 11%

That's charging for one thing and selling another

Parch

There's also the fact that some are non responders to Creatine. A good amount actually. I forget the percentage.
I've read 40% for males. I'm pretty sure I was one of them because Creatine did nothing for me and was just a waste of money.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm gonna get those crappy proteins just to spite you guys.

For every 1 crappy protein tub you don't buy, I'll buy 3!!!

Pathos

Banned
I've only ever used ON but a couple of months ago, I got Isoflex, just to switch things up. I wanna see where it lines up

Rad-

I can believe that but ON Gold Standard powder is also like twice as expensive as most other stuff. At least here it is. 125&#8364; for 4kg bag/tube where as it's 62&#8364; for the stuff I now use.

Parch

Muscle Tech is the king of trash supplements and health claims. Maybe their protein is fine, but I doubt it.
There's a lot of poor showings on those lists that are high priced. I'm kinda relieved because I would always buy what was cheapest and they seem to be reasonably ranked. If I paid extra it was for casein.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Muscle Tech you said? Spurious claims? Let us never forget their hilarious Muscle Asylum Project sub-brand of supplements for the SWOLE MUTANT FREAK you have inside.

I could stay all day here posting shit ads from Muscle Tech and others.

#getrippedoff #getswole

On a related note, if you're not dairy intolerant and in a need to watch each calorie (people in deficits or have to maintain a certain weight class etc), chocolate milk is a pretty good post-workout drink. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/re...w-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html/

And of course, you can always add protein powder to it if you'd like.

I used to mix Cola Cao (hot coca powder, basically) with full fat milk and ON's chocolate protein during my gaining phases. Full fat milk with chocolate protein and a banana thrown into the blender is also an amazing mix if you want to gain some weight without purchasing crap WG mixes that cost a fortune.

I'm all about lean gains these days, though. Slow, but more rewarding. And my clothing budget is so much smaller than when I was fluctuating up to 8 kg up and down each 6 months or so.

There's a lot of poor showings on those lists that are high priced. I'm kinda relieved because I would always buy what was cheapest and they seem to be reasonably ranked. If I paid extra it was for casein.

I'm ashamed to say that I bought the whole casein hype when I began supplementing. It makes no sense at all. It's just low grade protein with little actual use for your body compared to concentrate and isolate whey protein. Just get a tub of either from a good brand and be happy.

jonezer4

Man this sucks. I switched to Nutribotic Rice protein because some of the other brands were giving me horrible stomach irritation. Back to the drawing board. :(

I was concerned about this too, until I read further and realized that NutriBiotic has very low solubility which he admits would skew his test toward a lower level. They basically can't test it and their numbers for it are meaningless. (I wish this was a little more obvious in the graph as a cursory glance had me about ready to ditch NutriBiotic as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom