• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit analyses protein powder; advertised protein percentage vs actual protein

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nutritional labeling in general is such BS. FTC regs require you be within 20%, and even that very lax standard most people don't follow in practice. It's part of the reason why as a juvenile diabetic I had to basically swear off carbs altogether. Makes a huge difference if something claims 50g and winds up having 60+.

Sure, but it's also much quicker to drink a protein shake than to eat an extra 1 lb chicken breast, and I would argue tastier as well. Depending on brand for chicken and whey, could be cheaper too.

You don't need 1 lb of chicken. 3 ounces of skinless breast gets you 24 grams of protein.

I get 6 lbs at Costco for $3 a lb.

96 ounces cooks down to about 22 3oz servings. 22 servings of 24 grams of protein for $18 a week. P

I will say this, in the UK at least protein powder is a SHITLOAD cheaper than free range chicken breast. Massive difference per gram of protein.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need 1 lb of chicken. 3 ounces of skinless breast gets you 24 grams of protein.

I get 6 lbs at Costco for $3 a lb.

96 ounces cooks down to about 22 3oz servings. 22 servings of 24 grams of protein for $18 a week. P

I'm not sure where your number (128 g / lb) is coming from, but it looks pretty high. I'm seeing 105, 92, 100 and 85.12 respectively, with the last 2 actually referring to Costco's chicken (frozen and fresh).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/generic-1-lb-chicken-breast-27742463
http://www.tyson.com/Products/Our-Products/Uncooked-Frozen-Chicken.aspx
https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/costco/frozen-chicken-breast
https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/costco/boneless-skinless-chicken-breast

And you're right, I didn't literally mean 1 lb of chicken. When you run the numbers, it's actually 8 oz of chicken == 1 shake (I include at least 2 scoops in my shake, especially if it's going to be just water + whey, and I've never known anyone to just use 1 scoop...)

However, even using your numbers, whey still comes out on top as far as g / $. Amazon has a 5 lb tub of ON for $58 right now, which is 74 servings of 24 g protein.

74 x 24g / $58 = 30.52 g / $
22 x 24g / $18 = 29.33 g / $

And finally...I dunno how you chicken breast guys do it. Dark meat is so much tastier and juicier with negligible nutritional differences. Also, at least around here, thighs are cheaper than breasts per lb. I would never, ever choose a breast over a thigh (on a bird anyway :p ) but hey, to each his own.

Mascot

Also, at least around here, thighs are cheaper than breasts per lb.

Thigh meat is far tastier than breast as well, but in the UK most chicken thighs still contain the bones, so unless you buy boneless thighs then you are paying for the weight of those bones. Plus they're a little more fiddly to eat (unless you just munch through the bones like a real man).

I'm not sure where your number (128 g / lb) is coming from, but it looks pretty high. I'm seeing 105, 92, 100 and 85.12 respectively, with the last 2 actually referring to Costco's chicken (frozen and fresh).
kinless-chicken-breast[/url]

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2

1oz of cooked chicken is 8.7 grams of protein. I rounded down to 8 grams just to be safe.

Sorry for not being as detailed on this next part.
6lbs of chicken is 96 ounces raw. But after I trim it myself and cook it down, I'm left with between 65-70 ounces of cooked chicken, which is what nutrition data provided the numbers for.
I freeze that in a ziplock in portions. If you broke that down to 3 oz portions you get 22 or 23.

Since I do this for a week in advance I prefer breast because it freezes and rehheats better than dark meat. If I am grilling to eat it right away I will always go for thighs.

Engell

Chicken is usually around 25-27% protein. (atleast where i come from)
Funny to see you guys play around with your ounces and lbs

Engell

I just checked them out and this will be arriving at my house in a few
days http://us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10852500.html

That is a pretty good deal. I would normally by 2 5lbs Muscle Tech protein pouches from Sams Club for just under $80. With this I get a better quality protein and an extra pound for just $12 more

i like how these Nutrition facts are designed to be misleading:
10852500-2.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Every time I see a video of a body-builder eating food they always look like they're feveredly shoveling food into their face. Eat like normal people, jesus.

The whole eating thing is one of the reasons why I like to take a couple of shakes per day. Too much solid food upsets my stomach, and in extreme cases may help in the development of big bellies, even if you are lean (although insulin/HGH abuse seems the main culprit there).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Making it per random serving size instead of actually doing it per 100gram.
And then listing % that relate to some unspecified recommendation based on the serving size.

I believe that's the usual American labeling, which tends to show values per serving size and is kind of the norm among supplements. 25 grams is not a terrible measure considering that is exactly 1/4 of 100 and the actual size of the small cups generally included in protein tubs.

In any case, anybody taking protein supplements is also monitoring their macros, so that is not a problem.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Thigh meat is far tastier than breast as well, but in the UK most chicken thighs still contain the bones, so unless you buy boneless thighs then you are paying for the weight of those bones. Plus they're a little more fiddly to eat (unless you just munch through the bones like a real man).

The Whole Foods here sells boneless, skinless organic chicken thighs for ~$2.89 / lb (price fluctuates a bit). Those are my go-to. I also hate dealing with bones when eating a ton of chicken.

Chicken is usually around 25-27% protein. (atleast where i come from)
Funny to see you guys play around with your ounces and lbs

Most nutrition data on the web is based on labels on products, which use oz and grams. If you have a source that uses % instead I'd definitely be interested in seeing it, because that would be easier to use in this case.

Making it per random serving size instead of actually doing it per 100gram.
And then listing % that relate to some unspecified recommendation based on the serving size.

Most people don't have kitchen scales to measure and weigh out 100 g, so it's much easier to understand "each scoop has X g of protein". Not sure how using the size of the scoop is more random than an arbitrarily picked "100 g".

Engell

Most nutrition data on the web is based on labels on products, which use oz and grams. If you have a source that uses % instead I'd definitely be interested in seeing it, because that would be easier to use in this case.

It is a requirement in my country, it has to be listed pr 100Gram from that point on you can list it in either grams or %, because the number would be the same. In that way its impossible to be mislead and makes it easy to calculate any value you want.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
It is a requirement in my country, it has to be listed pr 100Gram from that point on you can list it in either grams or %, because the number would be the same. In that way its impossible to be mislead and makes it easy to calculate any value you want.

That's only helpful if you're able to determine the amount that you're actually consuming on your plate. Like I said, most people don't have kitchen scales to weigh all of their food with.

How many grams are in 3 eggs? How about 2 cups of broccoli? It's much easier if the nutritional information is given in units of "per eggs" and "per cup", respectively, for those. I don't see how that's misleading or difficult to calculate.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Gold Standard here. Glad to see I'm not drinking 80% newspaper dustings. Vitamin Shoppe tried selling me their brand. A 5lb'er at that. Hells to the no now.

The Lamp

Nutritional labeling in general is such BS. FTC regs require you be within 20%, and even that very lax standard most people don't follow in practice. It's part of the reason why as a juvenile diabetic I had to basically swear off carbs altogether. Makes a huge difference if something claims 50g and winds up having 60+.

Yeah, and the FTC doesn't even really investigate a problem unless a scandal arises.

Engell

That's only helpful if you're able to determine the amount that you're actually consuming on your plate.

so you measure everything in cups before you put it on the plate.. and how big is an official egg?
well never mind, have fun with your measuring system :)

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
so you measure everything in cups before you put it on the plate.. and how big is an official egg?
well never mind, have fun with your measuring system :)

Maybe it's different in other countries, but in the US there are standard egg sizes (M, L, Jumbo, etc).

Regardless of that, the nutrition facts are printed on the egg carton itself for the eggs in the carton. It doesn't matter if the size varies from Whole Foods to Kroger to Wal-Mart eggs because the serving size is specific to that item from that store. It can be tailored to whatever is most appropriate for the way the item is bundled, instead of using 100 g, which for many things doesn't make sense as a unit of measurement at all.

So no we don't measure everything in cups, but the things we do measure in cups (cereal, pasta, etc) will have "per cup" nutrition facts. Cookies or crackers from a box will have "per cookie" and "per cracker". Loaves of sliced bread will be "per slice".

Sdkkds

Neo Member
The whole eating thing is one of the reasons why I like to take a couple of shakes per day. Too much solid food upsets my stomach, and in extreme cases may help in the development of big bellies, even if you are lean (although insulin/HGH abuse seems the main culprit there).

Too much food will not in any way help develope the "8 months pregnant with triplets" bodybuilder belly, hgh and insuline are the only reasons.

I guess I'll stick to my Optimum Nutrition gold standard. Thinking about trying The HodgeTwins new protein, it's probably just an ON generic.

I avoided body fortress and went six star because it just seemed like it was doing a body good when compared back to back a few times.

Right now, in doing without. There are a lot of reasons why I might not have seen crazy results. I personally didn't want to get huge, and I feel my overall appearance is close enough. I just like the feeling of keeping those muscle groups working.

Has been a long while since I've needed to use protein power (people use ridiculous amounts), but when I did, MyProtein was fine.

I avoided body fortress and went six star because it just seemed like it was doing a body good when compared back to back a few times.

Right now, in doing without. There are a lot of reasons why I might not have seen crazy results. I personally didn't want to get huge, and I feel my overall appearance is close enough. I just like the feeling of keeping those muscle groups working.
Can you name anyone who got "accidentally" huge from supplements and working out? You're insulting the work people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom