• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit analyses protein powder; advertised protein percentage vs actual protein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdkkds

Neo Member
Thank goodness I've always gotten ON.

My vegan girlfriend has used some of those non-whey powders though. Won't be buying those again now.

He does say in the comments that his readings for the vegan powders are useless because they did not dissolve at all.

The Graph is pretty old and hasn't been updated for a while; but still proves a point. Guess we could use google for any missing.

I wiil use you as my new protein source. Seriously though i can't find much info about my current powder, better stay off from it and stick with already tested better known brands.

Skeyser

What does it matter how much of the powder is protein? That's not the part that's trying to mislead anyone.

Everyone in this thread seems to consider ON to be the best, I'm asking why 50% would be considered the best. If I'm taking a protein supplement I don't want it to be filled with non proteins.

I'm asking why people prefer that brand, I don't care about that graph.

Good lord. I've taken ON 100% for nearly 8 years now and I have 0 complaints about the progress I've made.

It's a supplement that makes up almost nothing in my daily diet. Eat chicken, drink less powder. Especially if you want more protein consumed.

On topic, pretty cool quick study. I'd actually like to know how some of the bad performers taste and how well you can cook with them. One thing I like about ON is how well you can cook with it. It mixes well with a lot of things.

Everyone in this thread seems to consider ON to be the best, I'm asking why 50% would be considered the best. If I'm taking a protein supplement I don't want it to be filled with non proteins.

Tastes great, and gives you what's advertised.

The supplement industry doesn't have regulation like the FDA does with food, so everything has to be assumed to be a scam.

Also the price gap between one and the other is pretty damn huge, for what ON offers, it makes no sense to be $20 pricier than NOW. Unless of course you are willing to pay premium price for a more accurate advertised product

I tend not not use powders much (whole food is a much better option), but when I do it tends to be ON or MyProtein... so I guess I've been making the right choices (accidentally).

The Lamp

They're not regulated by the FDA, so they do whatever the hell they want until shit hits the fan. Be very cautious of those kinds of products and what they report they have.

Giggzy

I've never used protein powder shakes. I'm just getting into a workout routine, so how do I take this? Once a day? Any time throughout the day?

This is the most disgusting supplement I've ever had.

You can have the tub I bought last week on accident (I thought it was french vanilla....) I've had 2 scoops and haven't touched it since.

Coffee is my fave.
I love the taste of melted vanilla ice cream and I find if you drink it with milk it tastes almost like it which is good enough for me.

I've never used protein powder shakes. I'm just getting into a workout routine, so how do I take this? Once a day? Any time throughout the day?
Eat a normal diet of whole foods to give you the protein you need.

Take a protein supplement when you either can't physically eat more food, don't have time to prepare food, or want to use it as a substitute in cooking. That's my philosphy anyway.

It's a supplement. You use it to fill the gaps in your diet to make sure you eating enough of the nutrients you need every day.

Feel free to check out FitGAF's OP.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831799

I love the taste of melted vanilla ice cream and I find if you drink it with milk it tastes almost like it which is good enough for me.
I believe ya. I no longer make shakes with milk or milk substitutes anymore. I make my shakes with coffee because I like the kick and powders work well as creamers. Soooooo it may be my fault why I don't like it, lol.

Look at the M column. The closer the value is to 1, the better the protein brand as the actual protein content is closest to the amount claimed.

This is only one way to read this table. There are other factors as well.

Most important is that the M column is only measuring claimed to actual content by serving. However, the serving sizes are different and the claimed protein content is different to start with. So a powder with a higher claimed protein content may still be a better value, even if the measured amount is less if it had a higher protein to weight ratio to start with.

A good example is NOW which measured 70% protein to a claimed 89% for a ratio of .79. On the other hand, the top line ON measured 51% to 56% claimed for a ratio of .91. But that means 49% of what you are paying for when you buy ON is not protein. Even if ON is more accurate, when you pay for that 5lb tub, ~2.5lb is not protein. With the ON, you need 39g of product to get 20g of protein. With NOW, you need 28g of product to get 20g of protein.

Furthermore, this table does not provide cost per gram of measured protein which, IMO, might be a better metric.

And of course, if you value solubility, that is important to factor in as well.

I would say that this table tells you which manufacturers are meeting their claimed values, but if you want to know which one you should buy, you need to factor in more data points than just column M like, solubility, cost per actual gram of protein.

In sum, dudes patting themselves in the back for buying ON should look at the data more carefully. 49% of what you are paying for is filler.

I think GAF recommended Optimum Nutrition 100% to me like 6 years ago and it's the only kind I ever bought. Thanks for all these sick gains, GAF.

ezrarh

Most important is that the M column is only measuring claimed to actual content by serving. However, the serving sizes are different and the claimed protein content is different to start with. So a powder with a higher claimed protein content may still be a better value, even if the measured amount is less if it had a higher protein to weight ratio to start with.

A good example is NOW which measured 70% protein to a claimed 89% for a ratio of .79. On the other hand, the top line ON measured 51% to 56% claimed for a ratio of .91. But that means 50% of what you are paying for is not protein. Even if ON is more accurate, when you pay for that 5lb tub, 2.5lb is not protein.

Furthermore, this table does not provide cost per gram of measured protein which, IMO, might be a better metric.

And of course, if you value solubility, that is important to factor in as will.

I would say that this table tells you which manufacturers are meeting their claimed values, but if you want to know which one you should buy, you need to factor in more data points than just column M like, solubility, cost per actual gram of protein.

That's all true and I agree you should take those into account if you care about cost per protein. I was strictly referring to better as in the most accurately claimed. With that ratio you can calculate what's best for you cost wise.

A good example is NOW which measured 70% protein to a claimed 89% for a ratio of .79. On the other hand, the top line ON measured 51% to 56% claimed for a ratio of .91. But that means 49% of what you are paying for when you buy ON is not protein. Even if ON is more accurate, when you pay for that 5lb tub, ~2.5lb is not protein. With the ON, you need 39g of product to get 20g of protein. With NOW, you need 28g of product to get 20g of protein.

And of course, if you value solubility, that is important to factor in as well.

In sum, dudes patting themselves in the back for buying ON should look at the data more carefully. 49% of what you are paying for is filler.

This guy gets it

Now Food Whey Protein Isolate Pure only comes in unflavoured doesn't it? I imagine that's where most of the difference comes in there. Fine if you want to use it in cooking, but probably not that nice to drink unless you add something to it.

Surprised they didn't say which versions of the others they test though.

Edit - That Labdoor site does test protein content vs price (it's their value ranking), and it actually has ON's Gold Natural (unflavoured) version in 4th overall. The unflavoured version of Now Food Whey Protein Isolate comes in at 21st for value.

Optimum Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey
Serving Size 1 Rounded Scoop (32g)
Price/Serving $0.87
Protein/Serving 23.2g (Mean= 27.7g)

NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate Pure
Serving Size 1 Level Scoop (28g)
Price/Serving $2.03
Protein/Serving 26.0g (Mean= 27.7g)

Which gives you $0.037 per gram of protein for ON and $0.078 per gram of protein for NOW.

ISOPURE guy up in here, and love it for years. Never tried ON or NOW. Going to check them out. Heard good things about their flavors. Which one is recommended for ON or NOW?

Optimum Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey
Serving Size 1 Rounded Scoop (32g)
Price/Serving $0.87
Protein/Serving 23.2g (Mean= 27.7g)

NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate Pure
Serving Size 1 Level Scoop (28g)
Price/Serving $2.03
Protein/Serving 26.0g (Mean= 27.7g)

Which gives you $0.037 per gram of protein for ON and $0.078 per gram of protein for NOW.

2 different types of protein. The NOW product is isolate. A better comparison would be with Dymatize ISO 100. Gold Standard is a blend of isolate and concentrate, which is much cheaper and lower quality.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm glad to be an ON loyalist. I stick to it due to its decent price and great tasting chocolate flavours, but I always thought it felt a lot "cleaner" than the alternatives upon mixing and tasting.

Still, somebody tell me how the fuck such disparities are legally allowed. Some of those results are obscene, borderlining on scam.

ISOPURE guy up in here, and love it for years. Never tried ON or NOW. Going to check them out. Heard good things about their flavors. Which one is recommended for ON or NOW?

Anything with chocolate is great. Vanilla is ok, but very faint in taste. Everything else is hit or miss and will probably bore you after a while. I basically buy entire bags of chocolate and package it in smaller containers.

I guess I can stick with Isopure

Same, I love Isopure. Tastes great, seems like a decent % based on this chart, and not a ton of weird shit added to it especially the flavorless variety. I have tried ON and a few other brands and they're totally fine too IMO, but I just prefer Isopure.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
For those willing to go bananas, there are ways to purchase entire bags of unflavoured actual whey protein straight from dairy companies.

It only has as faint milk aftertaste and won't disolve quite as well as comercial powders, but you can easily add whatever flavour you prefer or use it more creatively.

params7

Banned
I moved away from ON due to some cheaper protein powders but I'm going to go back thanks to this thread. I'd rather pay more and get quality.

V_Arnold

Protein powders are mostly a scam anyway. You do not need 20dkg+ protein a day, because that is not how muscle is built in your body. It is not a direct correlation.

turnbuckle

Been using ON's platinum hydro for years...maybe I'll switch up to their performance whey

Can't believe the claims some of these companies are able to get away with.

Sapiens

As someone who goes to the gym three times a week who likes to push more and more weight, what kind of benefit would I see from protein powders?

As someone who goes to the gym three times a week who likes to push more and more weight, what kind of benefit would I see from protein powders?

If you're not getting enough protein in your diet, protein powders are a great supplement to hit those daily protein goals.

That's it - it's just food in powder form, that some people have an easier time eating than a bunch of meat everyday.

Sapiens

If you're not getting enough protein in your diet, protein powders are a great supplement to hit those daily protein goals.

That's it - it's just food in powder form, that some people have an easier time eating than a bunch of meat everyday.

So, if I eat a tonne of meat/fat already, I don't really have to worry about this stuff. I've always associated this stuff with people looking watery and bulky.

Halcyon

So, if I eat a tonne of meat/fat already, I don't really have to worry about this stuff.

It just depends on what your personal macros are. If you're hitting them via food, you wouldn't have to take protein powder to supplement.

Protein powders are mostly a scam anyway. You do not need 20dkg+ protein a day, because that is not how muscle is built in your body. It is not a direct correlation.

I've got to agree, I've pretty much stopped taking protein shakes after years of use.
Once in a while before bed if I am hungry or have a sweet tooth I will down a casein and milk shake, this is rare and I've had the same 2 lb tub since July. For the most part I just stick to good dieting. Post workout I will eat grilled chicken with a vegetable instead of downing a shake and then maybe 90 minutes later have a larger meal. Amazingly my dick hasn't flown off, my strength continues to go up and I'm still in great shape.

Supplement industry has some exceptional marketing though so a lot of dudes drink protein. The ads in magazines are great with ripped guys drinking some delicious cocktail as if that's what got them huge or ripped. The normal test production in males is between 4-11mg per day depending on age, these guys are shooting 600mg of it every 3 days or so, and I bet they attribute their physique more to their diet and cycle than a protein shake. They most likely down those shakes because the massive increase in protein synthesis from the juice lets them take in a ridiculous amount of protein.

Protein shakes serve one great purpose, and that is convenience. Proper diet will have more of an effect on your body composition than these shakes ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom