• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit: The gutting of Destiny's story

I don't see why some people are calling this unlikely? The story I posted in the other thread lines up with this pretty well and there's sufficient evidence in videos from 2013 to give some water to this theory.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I knew there was a problem with the story when I found myself on the moon and wondered why I was on the moon when it felt like I still had a lot of stuff to do on earth.

DjRalford

Story in its current state is almost non existent, but who's to say all this supposed cut story is not going to happen.

The current story has you run through and
return light to the traveller

Who's to say it doesn't work begin the cycle of the story that everyone's going on about? just because you already have to get a
gatelords head
in one mission doesn't mean you won't need to do it again.

Tycho.

I played Destiny a long time ago, and I’m fairly certain I signed a document that said I could not tell you what I had played. Let me see how I can say this. You are not playing what I played before. It coulda gone a lotta ways. That’s always the case with software, obviously. But I think they found the path.

Some Nobody

It honestly feels as if I've spent $60 on a tutorial/demo.

The mechanics are all present for me to learn and enjoy. In terms of gameplay, I'm having fun. But I'm having fun in the same capacity that I was as a twelve year-old repeatedly playing the demo for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on a demo disc because I didn't have enough birthday money to buy the full game.

I can only hope that story content will arrive in some capacity outside of paid DLC. Any enjoyment from gameplay mechanics alone cannot possibly take this series to its goal of being a decade-long franchise.

Yikes. This oddly hits home for me.

But yeah, if there's going to be a Destiny 2, it really shouldn't be anything like the first one. Keep the gun mechanics and the overall art design--chunk everything else because Bungie clearly screwed the pooch.

arhra

Who left Bungie from back in their Marathon days to reach this awful level of storytelling?

Cause the Marathon games have an incredible story. Especially 2.

Marathon was written primarily by Greg Kirkpatrick, who left after Marathon 2 and helped found Double Aught, who were in charge of most of Marathon Infinity's scenario/storyline, and then seemingly faded into obscurity after Double Aught failed to get their standalone project off the ground after that.

After the Halo series I was expecting an epic story but I have been seriously underwhelmed.

It's an average game, and although people are claiming fan fiction etc of this reddit piece, much like mass effect 3, if the story wasn't so bad we wouldn't need to question everything about it and make excuses as to what went wrong.

This is my last week of destiny, too many games out this month and this game was just a filler for September that had let me down

Someone posted this too so it's also likely the story before the cut was really bad

If we're mining the Penny Arcade vein a little more, remember they also had this to say:
There was a very early alpha phase that we played and it was pretty disheartening. I went back through my email and found the mail I sent to Jerry at the time. This is right after I had played Destiny for the very first time.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM, mike krahulik wrote:

They are fucked.

So if that's what the Alpha looked like, and those who hated that are now saying that Bungie "found the path", maybe they made the right choice to pivot at the last moment. The cuts and turmoil don't have to be bad news.

Lime

Regardless of whatever has been gutted from the original narrative of Destiny, you know you fucked up as a writer when everything in your fictional universe is referred to as NOUNS. E.g.

• The Guardians
  • The Traveler
  • The Darkness
  • The Light
  • The Fallen
  • The Vex
And who knows how many others. It's so unoriginal and vague. They may as well have titled the whole game "The Video Game"

Darklord

Banned
In one of the videos Bungie made the guy clearly mentions Saturn as being a planet you can visit. In fact, they said you can visit the ENTIRE solar system. Something happened and they gutted a shit ton of content I feel.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Regardless of whatever has been gutted from the original narrative of Destiny, you know you fucked up as a writer when everything in your fictional universe is referred to as NOUNS. E.g.

• The Guardians
  • The Traveler
  • The Darkness
  • The Light
  • The Fallen
  • The Vex
And who knows how many others. It's so unoriginal and vague. They may as well have titled the whole game "The Video Game"

It's a style, it's intentional. I like it.

jaosobno

Unfortunately, I have no problem believing this to be true. Bungie made grand promises about storyline and the entire Destiny universe and there are almost glimpses of an incredible lore underneath the pile of shit that is Destiny's "story", but I had this nagging feeling that something went terribly wrong during the development which caused storytelling to turn out all wrong.

I assumed they massacred the story so they could sell it as DLC, but this also makes sense.

Darklord

Banned
I'm not even exaggerating when I say that Destiny's utter garbage excuse for a story is one of my biggest disappointments in a long time. It completely soured me on the game before I even got into the multiplayer.

I like Destiny but I really wish it had a better story. It's so, so bad and the universe they created just screams to be dived into and explored. It's like Mass Effect without any of the dialog and lore the first game had.

ryan299

Now that the game has shipped some people are probably going to be laid off. One of them will talk about the development of this game. I don't think its going to be pretty

Vibranium

Banned
Very sad, I always enjoyed the lore of Halo before 343, and still do even though I don't have a Xbox anymore.

I still would love Bungie to do a single-player game someday, I think it would allow them to really tell a grand story without falling into a mess due to juggling so many things at once (especially if they found the right publisher for a smaller title). I dunno if they would be willing to try that though considering their multiplayer fame.

Unfortunately, I have no problem believing this to be true. Bungie made grand promises about storyline and the entire Destiny universe and there are almost glimpses of an incredible lore underneath the pile of shit that is Destiny's "story", but I had this nagging feeling that something went terribly wrong during the development which caused storytelling to turn out all wrong.

I assumed they massacred the story so they could sell it as DLC, but this also makes sense.

I think it makes more sense, honestly. If they massacred the story to sell it as DLC they would have left a core nugget of good story (probably with a cliffhanger ending) in the game to convince people the DLC was worth their while.

arhra

Edit: It's also important to note that Staten left Bungie to work for 343, aka leaving the Destiny franchise to go back to the Halo franchise.

He's actually not at 343 specifically - he's at Microsoft Studios, seemingly with some kind of higher-level role with oversight over multiple first-party franchises, at least according to his linkedin:

IP development, writing and narrative design for XBOX first-party games including Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound and Crackdown.

Given the legacy of his work on Halo, his strength seems to be the higher-level worldbuilding and overall narrative structure (and his true calling, of course; voicing grunts), rather than actually writing dialogue or individual scenes, so that's probably a good fit for him.

Let's just hope that 343 can get him back in the sound booth for Halo 5.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

• The Guardians
  • The Traveler
  • The Darkness
  • The Light
  • The Fallen
  • The Vex

No that's not the problem, I kind of like the blank generic names for everything. It gives you a sense that this could be a high fantasy story set in sci-fi instead of in your standard swords and sorcery scenario.

The real fucking problem is that there are only like 2 things on that list that get any form of actual exposition. I know what each of those things are in the same way I know Tunisia and Rwanda are different countries, But I don't know anything about ANYTHING

Here is a wall of questions the game raises

What is the darkness? Is it a physical manifestation of some evil energy? Where is it coming from? Why do the Fallen and the Cabal bring it forward? Are the cabal and the fallen even harbingers of the darkness? Why are the Fallen and the Cabal even fighting us? What are the awoken? What are exo's? Why was the Guardian who can be a human, awoken or exo that was dead for hundreds of years be found on earth? Why can the ghosts revive the guardian? Why did the vex come back in time if they exist in all times to kill the traveler? Why didn't they just attack earth, it seems pretty exposed? Who is the queen? Why doesn't she work with earth? Why does the stranger just leave at the end without actually doing anything? Why does the moon have an atmosphere? Why is there only one city on earth? What does the traveler want to do? What is inside the traveler? Why does each guardian get a ghost? What does it mean to be guardian, do we have special powers other beings don't have? Does the earth have an army or are they only guardians? Why do awoken live on the reef alone if they're also in the tower? Nothing in this game gives me answers just more fucking questions.

Sushi Nao

This seems pretty reasonable. I had the overall feeling that the traveler and the darkness are a test, a crucible for mankind, or a population/species control. The ghost is probably the least trustworthy mcguffin I've seen driving a story like this, too.

excowboy

The more of the story I play (I just reached Mars) the more I could go along witg this theory. I have a feeling quite a lot of stuff got cut before shipping - in the first preview video the app had some stats and UI for your ship, which in game you can only apply cosmetic changes to.

Bear in mind Bungie built ship combat into a level in Halo Reach - whilst Destiny was already in development - and it seems really suspicious to me that they went to that effort for 1/3 level in a game they were contractually obliged to deliver and then didn't include it in their space faring MMO where you own and upgrade a ship! Clearly this is speculation on my part :)

EVH

I don't have a PS4, don't know if the OP is true and never played Destiny, but what I'm reading about it everywhere is so fucking sad that makes me want jump out of this hobby.

I can't understand that they had so many problems to define this game to the media as they had when it just looks like a horde mode with some corridors. In every trailer an epic atmosphere was created, a small piece of a huge lore was shown and an interesting start for the will of exploration of this lore was planted. Now it turns out the lore is a crappy iphone app and the game is like another gaffer said, a demo for PS1 that you play over and over again with a tremendous lack of the content they promised.

It just feels like such a wasted opportunity that makes me angry, because the only reason I see why Bungie would do this is to make high managers happy with a huge amount of cash based on meaningless DLC.

EGM1966

Huge amount of pure speculation there. Might be right but if so there's not enough evidence to prove it.

For the moment I find it easier to assume Joe Staten left because he had no interest in where Bungie were going (and would be going for a while) with Destiny as regards story and narrative - as in a very light backdrop context narrative for an MMO styled game with various unrelated "missions" serving as a "narrative". I doubt writing little snippets to put on cards appealed either.

I would out of interest be curious to know a lot more true behind the scenes elements of Destiny design, how/when certain decisions were made and their implications.

Sayers

What the hell is the name of that girl who "doesn't have time to explain why she doesn't have time to explain"?

That cutscene is actually kind of hilarious because she delivers that line but then proceeds to monologue for like another full minute.

JCreasy

Whether that yarn is accurate or not, it's pretty obvious that someone took a big knife and started cutting stuff out of this game. Whether it was because content was bad or they needed to make deadlines you can't deny that an experienced developer like Bungie wouldn't release a product with such a thin layer of story.

This.

No one has considered that the original story might have been obscenely terrible. What if that was the reason Staten left?

I love the lore by the way. The world built here is intriguing and I find myself thinking about it when I'm not playing.

It would be an answered prayer to have a great television writer come in and write a proper story based on all this rich material. Where are the Battlestar Galactica writers these days?

JNA

Banned
That cutscene is actually kind of hilarious because she delivers that line but then proceeds to monologue for like another full minute.

It's like she has time to explain why she doesnt have time to explain why she doesnt have time to explain.

squadr0n

Someone seriously needs to get Patrick Klepick on this ASAP. He would be able to get the dirty details no one else would.

RalchAC

Imru’ al-Qays;132105215 said:
I think it makes more sense, honestly. If they massacred the story to sell it as DLC they would have left a core nugget of good story (probably with a cliffhanger ending) in the game to convince people the DLC was worth their while.

The problem I see here is that the lack of more compelling content can make people avoid the season pass. I haven't got it yet and I'll decide if it's worth of not after the first DLC pack arrives. If they don't add any free update I may jump ship though. I think the number of strikes and the raid is enough (most MMOs have the same or less high end content), but other stuff is lacking. They should try to add more levels in between, (skipable) cutscenes and levels should hype the player and make him want to go to strikes to kick assess. Some chains of quests for patroll that give some back story for the different factions would be cool too. They could use blue light instead of the normal green one or other similar stuff.

They're not going to turn Destiny into a masterpiece but they should try to fill gaps into the story. And more missions where you do cool stuff like the one with the sword to hook players.

In my interactions on XBL, and friends I know that aren't on game forums, it's pretty much the same. Paper thin story.

Friends of mine that bought the game told me that it was bad but didn't care since it was fun or that simply they didn't understand what the hell was going on. I don't think we are dumber or smarter than the average people. Gaf just fell harder into the hype machine so they are angrier.

Bsigg12

Maybe the Dorito Pope can break the story about what happened to the... story and game.

A Final Hours Of Destiny could be pretty great. Getting a talk with Joe Staten and Marty about what happened and then how development went over the last year could be really interesting.

Sirim

This theory is better than the default scenario when there's a lack of evidence pointing toward anything alternative to the default:

Bungie's vision for the story is what we have in Destiny, and their vision was just shitty as hell beyond belief.

So for Bungie's sake, I hope this theory is at least on the right track.

arhra

It's like she has time to explain why she doesnt have time to explain why she doesnt have time to explain.

Sadly, she doesn't have time to explain why she only has time to explain why she doesn't have time to explain why she doesn't have time to explain, so in the end, we're still left in the dark.

Did I get that right? I think I got that right. My head hurts.

Truant

Seems plausible, although pure speculation at this point.

Although, Bungie defenders should arguably embrace this, as it paints Bungie in a better light than just being completely incompetent.

This is all sad for me. So much potentional squandered by a veteran studio that should have known better. I honestly don't see how Destiny can recover from the story problems, unless Bungie does an entire rework which it won't. At this point I think they can just hope that they redeem themselves by delivering a great story in Destiny 2 and somehow convince people to purchase the game.

Same. The gameplay is fine, which is why I'm still going about with the bounties and whatnot. I bought the Special Edition so I'll undoubtedly play the expansions but as far as this being the only game I play for the next couple of months? That's probably not gonna happen. There's no spirit to this game, no reason to keep going and playing and get better weapons, armor, etc. Just lifeless.

ValeYard

And this leak through a glitch regarding the new DLC (Youtube Video) isn't giving me much hope that the story will be 'expanded' upon soon, although the Ancient AI and something about the Traveler seem to be in there if you read the mission descriptions.

I'm in the camp that says it sounds plausible but not enough evidence to be sure.

To honestly cut that amount of work and have to scramble to rework what they have must have been a huge decision both in terms of money spent and morale at bungie.

I'm starting to think what they had originally may not have been very good and that this blank state they approached your character and the world worked better than a story that would have turned people away rather than the almost no Impact it has now.

LAA

Damn. Before I read this, I was hoping Bungie would add to the story by adding missions in updates to actually, you know, answer the questions, but from reading this, it seems the story is missing from beginning to end, not after. It could also answer why the boxes say you need 40GB+ but only installs around...half I believe?

Yeah, I think you can now put me in the camp that thinks Destiny is the biggest game that failed to meet expectations for a while too. I still enjoy it for the "Grind race to 30 with all my characters" as well as exotic hunting...For now, simply because I have friends playing it and I have nothing else really to play on it yet.
Story wise however, I will say I feel Bungie are much better than this. I think it's just sickening they aren't even acknowledging this MAJOR flaw too. Literally all it does is pose questions. I don't even know if there's a way to fix it really. They could add missions, but from the looks of it, they would take place during the campaign and would probably require another play through for it to all make sense.
Worse again yet "We want Destiny to be a game you play for a long time". Not seeing that happening bungie. If all the game has is to replay everything to grind to 30, and/or get cool gear, I'm not sure why I'd be happy with that. DLC I'll probably play, but I'm not seeing it being like Borderlands was to me, which I played and still am playing (when I feel like it), a ton of.
I bet whenever the next big thing is out will make me forget about Destiny for at least a while and that's a real shame, had a lot of potential. I literally thought at the end of the campaign, maybe they're adding more later to keep people on consistently, but think I'm starting to accept this really was it.

JNA

Banned
Sadly, she doesn't have time to explain why she only has time to explain why she doesn't have time to explain why she doesn't have time to explain, so in the end, we're still left in the dark.

Did I get that right? I think I got that right. My head hurts.

ck8l6.jpg

Seems plausible, although pure speculation at this point.

Although, Bungie defenders should arguably embrace this, as it paints Bungie in a better light than just being completely incompetent.

To me it shows their management needs some reworking.

Joe had been working at Bungie for 15 years before leaving in September 2013. He was the cinematics director for Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3. He also wrote/helped write those games, and was a major force behind getting ODST made. He knows how to tell a story in a video game (despite what you may think of the quality of that story, it's clearly A Thing He Is Able To Do).

Why about 5% of what he surely worked on (in the five or so years that Destiny took to make) appears in the game, is a mystery to me. But it makes me sad.

(Also, I wanted to hear some silly Joe VO at some point :sadface)

Sirim

Joe had been working at Bungie for 15 years before leaving in September 2013. He was the cinematics director for Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3. He also wrote/helped write those games, and was a major force behind getting ODST made. He knows how to tell a story in a video game (despite what you may think of the quality of that story, it's clearly A Thing He Is Able To Do).

Why about 5% of what he surely worked on (in the five or so years that Destiny took to make) appears in the game, is a mystery to me. But it makes me sad.

(Also, I wanted to hear some silly Joe VO at some point :sadface)
I wonder if the story took a dive because he left, or if he left because he was unhappy with the direction the developers wanted to take the game when it came to story.

I'd assume the latter, because I can't see him leaving Bungie if things were going smoothly in the story department.

I wonder if the story took a dive because he left, or if he left because he was unhappy with the direction the developers wanted to take the game when it came to story.

I'd assume the latter, because I can't see him leaving Bungie if things were going smoothly in the story department.

My guess would be they reached a point where it wasn't going to be feasible to tell the story they wanted to tell and still ship on time. He probably got frustrated that his work was for naught and left. Who knows if we'll ever get the real story though.

My guess would be they reached a point where it wasn't going to be feasible to tell the story they wanted to tell and still ship on time. He probably got frustrated that his work was for naught and left. Who knows if we'll ever get the real story though.

I'd like to know what they did in the 6 years it took to develop if that was actually the case!

This all makes sense to me when you consider the near radio silence since the E3 2013 reveal. One vidoc right? It was a very 'unbungie' build up and as others have said, they know how to tell a sci-fi story. The biggest red flag was Joe leaving.

I'd like to know what they did in the 6 years it took to develop if that was actually the case!

Given what sounds like a ton of initial ambition, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the game was scrapped and re-scrapped a few times over that span until it was eventually scaled down into something they could actually ship.

We just saw something similar in Titan, only the end result was different

Given what sounds like a ton of initial ambition, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the game was scrapped and re-scrapped a few times over that span until it was eventually scaled down into something they could actually ship.

We just saw something similar in Titan, only the end result was different

Yeah I guess. Such a shame as well. Keeping this cross-gen probably didn't help that ambition either.

They could tell you of a great development cycle, years ago...how Bungie was crippled. They could tell you about the power of Activision, the industry's ancient enemy. There are many tales told throughout the internet to frustrated gamers. Lately those tales have stopped. Now... the gamers are frustrated anyway.

They could tell you of a great development cycle, years ago...how Bungie was crippled. They could tell you about the power of Activision, the industry's ancient enemy. There are many tales told throughout the internet to frustrated gamers. Lately those tales have stopped. Now... the gamers are frustrated anyway.

LOL!

Bravo sir.

Top Bottom