• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: "more to be announced" for Switch 2017 lineup

Tom Nook

It's time...

maxresdefault.jpg

ZugZug123

WHERE IS MY PORTABLE STARDEW VALLEY, NINTENDO?

Sorry for all caps but SV coming to Switch for me is as big as any flagship Nintendo IP.

M-PG71C

I can see some indie announcements and maybe a few third party games, but that is going to be it. If we're lucky, maybe VC by the end of the year.

I think the first party lineup for the rest of the year is set (July Splatoon 2, Aug. Mario and Rabbids, Sept. Pokken, Oct. SMO, Nov. is likely Fire Emblem Warriors, and Dec. is likely Xenoblade 2).

Lol if you think a brand new Smash game would be out by Christmas 2018. Smash was supported with DLC up until early 2016 with large amounts of its content spread over two consoles with a gigantic roster. Nintendo's not going to drop all that especially when Smash 4 on Wii U sold like crap because lack of install base. Unless they use the majority of Smash 4 as a base for Smash 5 I don't see a new Smash game coming until 2019 at the very earliest and I'm more inclined to believe 2020.

The DLC isn't that relevant as most of that was developed after Smash released anyway. But a big reason I don't think there'll be a port is cos the game was also released on 3DS, which Nintendo still view as a 'current' platform.

But maybe it's wishful thinking, cos I don't think Smash 4 was a particularly good game. I want that fast and light feeling from Melee back!

Budi

More Wii U ports, please. Don't be ashamed to do it.

Yeah I would really love this, the first party library of Wii U is very impressive. I haven't owned Nintendo home console since 64 and handheld since the first version of DS, seriously looking into getting the Switch. Would love to play those excellent Wii U games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So that explains why Battle Sports Mekuru was a no show at E3! :eek:

lol

It's obviously going to be a small thing, Reggie likes to hype the oddest announcements sometimes.

Cottiny

Banned
I still think there's a decent chance of Smash 4 being announced in July, August, or even September for a November release. Maybe I'm crazy, but it strikes me as less weird than Nintendo not having any tentpole release in November.

I don't think there's much chance of an unannounced original retail game in November or December, though, unless it's something pretty small-scale.

For the sake of national security, they shouldn't. You will see people killing themselves on the streets to get a Switch at this rate.

jj984jj

there's gotta be something closer to xmas
would be dope as fuck if it was AC or even just a port of smash

They know Mario Odyssey will be enough. But they still have smaller releases like Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2 to release.

If Animal Crossing was being released it would've been shown at E3.

.J.

Banned
I do hope something happens. I'm definitely feeling that launch lull. I've played what I care to play so far. No interest in ARMS, Disgaea, Cave Story, or several others either because I've already played them to death or just have no interest.

I'd kill to have access to some SNES classics on this thing. Stinks that NEO GEO titles are the only older games we've got for the foreseeable future.

Not even a good indication of small titles coming in the next few months. Not having VC ready for launch feels like a mistake.

requiem02

Banned
Skyrim Switch will be the tentpole November release. It would be the perfect spot for DKC Tropical Freeze port though...

I am certain Smash is 2018, and I also think the ship has sailed on it being a fairly straightforward port of 4. It's one of their four mega IPs (next to Mario Kart, 2D Mario and Pokemon) so I see no reason why they wouldn't want to go all out with Smash 5 on a system people actually care about this time around.

wanders

The switch needs a high caliber third party game these holidays. Something like portable call of duty can work. (Announced during the vita's first year in July released in November).

Not to use the vita as a precedent but I wouldn't write off third party support just yet.

redcrayon

Do we know what/when their next mobile title is? I wonder if a cross-promotion between that and a Switch Animal Crossing might be on the cards, as the last one appeared early in the 3DS life and the update seemed designed to keep players invested.

Pastry

Banned
It's obviously indie announcements, there are some stuff that was confirmed 2017 that we have not heard anything on since that initial indie Direct.

ZugZug123

Overwatch with Zero-suit Samus as an extra waifu character?

but really, probably it will just be Diablo 3 with all the expansions.

I would be happy with a portable D3 :) But if Blizzard comes to Switch it might just be Hearthstone instead, which is already on phones :/

jj984jj

The switch needs a high caliber third party game these holidays. Something like portable call of duty can work. (Announced during the vita's first year in July released in November).

Not to use the vita as a precedent but I wouldn't write off third party support just yet.

That release was a complete disaster. Why would anyone want a repeat?

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
hey reg announce Dragon Quest IX for the west yeah, it'd be mighty swell of ya.
it does well to be swell, ya know?

Considering Nintendo haven't legally gone after the Mother 3 translation guys yet, it's clearly not happening any time soon.
It's been out for so long that there's no way they would C&D the fan translation

I'm not saying Mother 3 is getting translated, but that's not a good reason to assume it isn't

Atheerios

Probably indie stuff.

I'm guessing:

• August: Rabbits
  • September: Pokken and Fire Emblem Warriors
  • October: Super Mario Odyssey
  • November: Skyrim
  • December: Xenoblade 2

They could also release Warriors on October or November as FIFA 18 and NBA 2K also release on September.

The real question is can Nintendo's logistic department ship that many consoles if they announce just one heavy hitter more this year

Not taking it as a confirmation or anything since it's probably just misspeaking against the company line, but the wording makes it sound like he's calling MP4 and Pokemon for 2018.

Its actually kinda the second person to confirm Metroid and Pokemon as 2018 titles. There honestly isn't much reason to believe they are lying. Even if they don't release by holiday 2018 it confirms to me that both games have been in development for a while.

Top Bottom