• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: "more to be announced" for Switch 2017 lineup

Atheerios

Wonder if he's talking about third-party/indie stuff in there. I'll be surprised if there's another AAA first-party game coming but I can definitely see some smaller stuff, eShop games, or a remaster or two coming.

Also...

Not taking it as a confirmation or anything since it's probably just misspeaking against the company line, but the wording makes it sound like he's calling MP4 and Pokemon for 2018.

Look at the video at the top of the article (the original interview). Looks like the text version is heavily redacted, in the video he says a totally different thing.

reKon

Banned
If it's not Smash then I don't give a shit. Fuck Mother 3

I think it's going to be a small game as well

Juraash

Even if it's something smaller, I'm glad we're in for some more surprises before the end of the year. By the end of the Switch's first year we could have Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Arms, Kirby and Yoshi with Metroid and Pokémon getting closer(ish). That obviously isn't counting everything and I'm stoked if they can squeeze in a few more things this calendar year.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I don't read this as there being more big Nintendo games coming in 2017. I see this as either him talking about 2018 or third-party announcements for this year. At the very best, I could see Nintendo having another Snipperclips-sized game. I doubt a surprise Wii U port is incoming this year. It'd certainly be a cool addition to the lineup, but I think Nintendo knows they've already built a pretty solid lineup and that they're likely going struggle with stock this first holiday season. Even if Nintendo originally planned another game for 2017, I don't see why they wouldn't push it to 2018 at this point.

SalvaPot

Considering Nintendo haven't legally gone after the Mother 3 translation guys yet, it's clearly not happening any time soon.

that one is already done by the time there were clearly no plans to release it in the US and the translators heavily urge to buy a cartridge. I know I did.

Neoxon

I reckon they've got something big planned for November.
Xenoblade 2 is probably gonna be the Switch's November game, unless something else gets announced.

Speaking of announcements, I'm only really expecting smaller eShop titles to be revealed for this year.

bounchfx

They know Mario Odyssey will be enough. But they still have smaller releases like Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2 to release.

If Animal Crossing was being released it would've been shown at E3.

just let me dream

though i know odyssey is enough for me

Am in the minority in that I think their 2017 first party line up is just fine? I don't think it needs any other big games save for a Smash port. Would rather they space stuff out to avoid early 2018 droughts.

Gaspard

Am in the minority in that I think their 2017 first party line up is just fine? I don't think it needs any other big games save for a Smash port. Would rather they space stuff out to avoid early 2018 droughts.

I'm in the same boat. People pining for Animal Crossing and Smash really want Nintendo to blow their load the first year.

Which is understandable but I only got so much funds. :d

Wamb0wneD

I already plan to get at least 4 games from their first party output alone and i also have a PS4 and not unlimited funds so yeah...

Smash in early December would make sense, also another Indie direct with updates on all of the announced ones from the last one and some new stuff.

That's more than enough imo.

I like how he grilled him a bit on AM2R. I don't blame Nintendo for shutting it down with their own game coming though.

For God's sake though, why the hell hasn't anyone asked them about Retro? Not that they'll tell us anything, but it'd be nice to hear even a "stay tuned."

Wamb0wneD

I like how he grilled him a bit on AM2R. I don't blame Nintendo for shutting it down with their own game coming though.

For God's sake though, why the hell hasn't anyone asked them about Retro? Not that they'll tell us anything, but it'd be nice to hear even a "stay tuned."

I think there was a thread about his statements about AM2R.

And would "stay tuned" really do anything? Certainly not for me lol. We know they have a game in the making and one day we will be bale to play it. That's all we will know until they finally feel like showing what the hell took them so long.

Their lineup is fine as is and I certainly don't think they need anything in the way of first-party retail releases for this calendar year beyond what's been announced. I'm just mystified as to why Mario Odyssey isn't in the November slot like I think pretty much everyone expected prior to E3, and this quote might - might - hint at an explanation.

Look at the video at the top of the article (the original interview). Looks like the text version is heavily redacted, in the video he says a totally different thing.

Oh wow, yeah, now I see. That changes a lot then. I wish they would have made that clearer for people who can't watch the video, because it's easy for stuff to spread like wildfire.

Yeah, I'm satisfied. One thing I feel the tail end of 2017 could really use though is Virtual Console.

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I'd also love to see NES Classic turned into a retail Switch product. Put the 30 games + the UI from the plug-and-play onto a Switch cart and sell it for $60 this Christmas. It'd be a huge hit.

Their lineup is fine as is and I certainly don't think they need anything in the way of first-party retail releases for this calendar year beyond what's been announced. I'm just mystified as to why Mario Odyssey isn't in the November slot like I think pretty much everyone expected prior to E3, and this quote might - might - hint at an explanation.

Yeah, it would make sense. I imagine that thing would be Smash and then we get Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing, Retro game in 2018.

Yeah, I'm satisfied. One thing I feel the tail end of 2017 could really use though is Virtual Console.

Exactly! What I want out of this year is a more robust OS and Virtual Console NES/SNES and GBA games. But maybe that's asking for too much.

I'm in the same boat. People pining for Animal Crossing and Smash really want Nintendo to blow their load the first year.

Which is understandable but I only got so much funds. :d

Only so much funds...and time :(

I already plan to get at least 4 games from their first party output alone and i also have a PS4 and not unlimited funds so yeah...

Smash in early December would make sense, also another Indie direct with updates on all of the announced ones from the last one and some new stuff.

That's more than enough imo.

Definitely. I'm already finding it hard enough trying to work out how I balance my time between Mario Odyssey, Ni no Kuni II and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Don't need to throw anymore long games onto the pile unless they're throwing on a Smash port.

On a side note; when do we think there'll be another Nintendo Direct to discuss the 2018 line up. Q1/Q2 for Switch is still a bit of a mystery.

I think there was a thread about his statements about AM2R.

And would "stay tuned" really do anything? Certainly not for me lol. We know they have a game in the making and one day we will be bale to play it. That's all we will know until they finally feel like showing what the hell took them so long.

Does asking Reggie pretty much anything do anything?

I doubt it is anything major. I could imagine a Mother 3 announcement with virtual console launch. Something like that. Not any new titles AAA titles.

Nanashrew

Banned
You're going to have to provide something more substantial if you're talking about C&Ding the Mother 3 localization, as even the translator is willing to give Nintendo his script and do whatever it takes to see an official localization of Mother 3.

You also have fan translations of plenty of Fire Emblem games, and heck Pokemon games too before their official NA/EU releases.

KingBroly

Banned

They don't have a November game for Switch right now...unless they want to put Xenoblade there...which I don't think they're going to do.

Either:
It's a big exclusive 3rd party game(I seriously doubt November will be the month dedicated to a port of Skyrim).

Smash Bros Switch(only problem is it would seem to be a game as a E3 highlight).

Small Eshop IP like Pushmo.

Animal Crossing or Retros Game

I think we are getting a Pushmo 3 this holiday as the big digital title for the holidays. That's it.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I'm personally hoping for a 3D Donkey Kong platformer.

Hey, maybe your correct and the reason Nintendo haven't announced Retro's game is because they don't want Super Mario Odyssey to overshadow a 3D Donkey Kong platformer.

Either:
It's a big 3rd party game(I seriously doubt November will be the month dedicated to a port of Skyrim).

Smash Bros Switch(only problem is it would seem to be a game as a E3 highlight).

Small Eshop IP like Pushmo.

Animal Crossing or Retros Game

I think we are getting a Pushmo 3.
Bring on a Direct.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Smash annnounced as another holiday 2017 title (November release?) later this summer. I am thinking they held it out of E3 because they wanted to focus on brand new games and also to not take any focus away from ARMS until it launches and finds its audience

I'm pretty sure Skyrim is their November game. I could also see a soft relaunch of BOTW with DLC included too.

It's easy to co-market in one commercial. Just play that Passion Pit song and flash scenes of people playing Zelda, Skyrim and maybe Xenoblade 2 in different exotic settings. "Big adventure, anywhere."

Top Bottom