• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reliability; Why PCs aren’t So Amazing

T-Cake

Mine is normally rock solid but Hitman 2 just crashed on me in the middle of an elusive target. Bum. I suspect that might have been me ALT-Tabbing out to check something though. :(

Last edited:
Half the posters blaming op and the rest blaming AMD. What a surprise...

It's definitely possible that this is because of AMD drivers, but if you don't see why PC gaming is problematic if choosing the wrong GPU can fuck up your shit then I don't know what to tell you. And I play almost exclusively on PC.

ViolentP

Consoles are for people who prefer not to deal with variation even at the cost of performance.

PC’s are for people who put performance first and are willing to work to obtain the most of it.

It’s a simple question of what you prefer, not what is superior. OP is a textbook case of a person that is probably better suited for the opposite toolset.

nani17

are in a big trouble
You know what he's right I've never had an issue with consoles ever well besides

RROD
YLOD
N64 carts losing saves (No patches back then)
PS3 and PS4 jet engine noise
PS2 laser issues with the blue discs remember them
random memory card failure.
Oh 20min updates 22 patches day one system update aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

well, that's just some issues I've had. It's best I blame all consoles for that and say this is why I hate console gaming

i623Pil.png

Last edited:
Being an owner of both platforms I can say console gaming has definitely historically been more stable for me. I've only had problems with my ps4, which I had to send back several times. However, I've had more issues with bsod's and the like in windows, and only once did the Nvidia drivers were bad when I was playing the division and I had to rollback. There are a lot of things you can do to ensure you don't have these kind of problems. For instance, I never update my Nvidia drivers the second they are made available, I wait about two weeks or so, and if there are any problems they should be ironed out by then. I've also had the occasional game that always crashes and I could never figure out how to fix it. However, most of the time I've been able to recover and learn something new along the way that allows me to troubleshoot and fix problems in the future.

V4skunk

Banned
Pc gaming is easier than ever.
Just today I got a 2080ti upgraded from an rx580.
It literally took me less than 5 minutes to take the 580 out and swap it with my new card. Less than 10 minutes later I had downloaded and updated the nvidia driver and was testing out Warhammer Total war 2.

Thaedolus

“I’ve been doing this shit since the 80s!” (and still suck at it even though it’s easier than it’s ever been)

I jest, sorry for your troubles OP. Can’t say I’ve had anything similar happen in the last decade tho

demigod

Well here is an update for you my pc is still shutting down. No Doom Eternal for me. Turns out rolling back drivers didn’t fix it. So now I don’t know if it’s a PSU problem or a CPU problem or what. It’s going to be a massive effort to find out. My computer is momentarily fucked and I can’t play my new game. I haven’t installed any new hardware. What the fuck???

I’m gonna go with faulty ram. I had something like this shit happen to me.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
All electronics are subject to some level of failure rate. A nice thing about PC is the modularity, so even if you have a problem, you can replace the part, or use a backup part until you get your RMA and replacement/refund. On console you send in the whole unit, if you're lucky.

Some people enjoy the granular control of PC. The work and knowledge base you build is like being a bladesmith and making your own weapon. You know exactly what you're putting together. Consoles are simple to use, with minimal research and effort. Some people like that approach, it's kind of like a smartphone. Even a child can use it.

Simplicity vs deep customization. Pick what suits you best. Failures are the norm on both sides. Choose the approach you're most comfortable with.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is beyond true.
That's crazy talk, PC gaming folks are the most helpful ever, from playing games where ancient online titles are often playable with tight player bases that may have even taken over/emulated/worked around some defunct official service to troubleshooting hardware/software/OS and all that. Gog Steam and other forums and websites are full of pages with people showing how to run a game from before you were born on a modern unsupported system in top form or enhance/mod it or whatever. Granted starting a thread with how "PC gaming sucks because my PC is broken" isn't likely to get a very good response, but this guy can still make a decent thread asking for actual help about his actual problems in OT if he wants to bother or just hand it to some experts and get it over with if he doesn't. It's not like you can fix your console when anything breaks as parts aren't in stores.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Lol how is this “objectively the best way to play” when I cannot play the game one day after purchase?

Th is has happened with many games for me. Dark Souls once got a Steam update the completely broke x360ce making it impossible to control. Dark Souls II I was suddenly unable to launch one day, I was not able to play until half a year later.

Can you imagine if a console just stopped playing a game entirely for months? Lol “objectively the best way to play” that is objectively false. Wow dudes.

People calling me a kid or entry level or something, y’all need to tone down the Steam forum style aggression.I’ve been PC gaming since the 80s scrubs

You can't play the game because your hardware shit out on you. It's the same as being pissed off that you couldn't play a console game because you had a hardware defect.

All of your problems there seem like something specific to your setup and with PC gaming there is such a wide variety of setups and user configurations that the problem may well just be your machine or something you did to it.

nkarafo

Speaking of reliability, there's also hardware reliability. I don't trust consoles anymore after the XBOX 360 fiasco. Plus, even if the build quality of the components is good, you never know how well the system is put together. What kind of thermal paste they use? How good is the cooling? What about the quality of the fans? What about the noise? Did the Chinese person who handled my console was in a good mood that day?

I build my PCs myself and it's always a cool, silent box. I never had any hardware failing on me apart from a couple of Geforce 8800 cards (well after their service ended) but those are known to die after a few years. But still, even if an out of warranty part dies you can easily replace it and the whole system will be good again. If a part in a console dies, it pretty much takes all other components with it in the recycle bin. You can't even replace the DVD/blu-Ray drive because each one has a unique code that hardware locks it on the specific motherboard it's on. And lets not speak about the noise... Being a PC gamer the last 10 years, it's always funny to me how loud consoles have become compared to a well build PC.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yea, PC's have unique problems. I love PC but these days I'd rather just fire up my Xbox or whatever and be done with it. Chances are whatever I'm trying to play will just work, and if the console dies I just replace it rather than troubleshooting individual components. I'll try to do a reset or reinstall firmware, replace the hard drive if it's clear that failed, but beyond that I just can't be bothered.

anthraticus

Banned
It's always all about the games. If you're good only playing the shit that comes to consoles (which I'm certainly not) then stick with that only.

Lucumo

So today I boot up and start playing. My screen and all audio shuts off after a minute or so of play. It sucks but this is a common thing in PC gaming. Many many times I have updated graphics cards and this begins happening.

Luckily I am an old school PC tinkerer and know a few things about Windows.
Common thing in PC gaming? Not really. I've never had anything like that and I've been playing excessively over the last 15+ years.

Doesn't seem that way at least. For some funny reason, it's always the clueless who have issues with their PCs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've been pc gamer all my life. I am 31yo and been a pc gamer since 1997. I always built my own computers and did everything myself.
Last year I've built yet another 2k usd pc and I am coming to conclusion that I hate pc gaming.... Sure, I play at 4k, freesync, locked 58fps, max graphics etc. but there are always issues, always problems. Something always needs tweaking. Especially with Ryzen crap and x570... I kinda regret getting 3700x/x570 day one. not only it was expensive, it barely worked and pc still boots longer than my old 2500k did.
The years I had 360 and ps4, I just played games. The years I focus on pc, I tweak around.

I will continue to game and use PC as my main platform. I just cannot stop with 500 steam games in library and new half-life coming out....
I also did not had any issues with Doot eternal. It just worked 4k 58fps, razer viper ultimate mouse... sometimes pc gaming is sweet
But as I am used to saying "COMPUTER IS THE ONLY THING I KNOW AND I HATE IT"

Last edited:

gela94

I can feel your pain, I bought Trails of Cold steel 2 and this not fucking starting tried all the "solutions" from the internet and nothing works.

nkarafo

pc's get updates like consoles get updates, just with pc's there are many things to update separately
The only thing you need to update is your security applications and graphics card drivers. And the later is only really needed when you have certain issues, you don't have to do it every time a new driver comes out. Personally, i only do it when a new Game Ready driver comes out for a game i care about, because of the promise of being optimized for it. Otherwise i can keep the same driver for a full year with no issues.

You also get the STEAM and individual game updates and such, sure, but these ones are really fast and automatic.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The only thing you need to update is your security applications and graphics card drivers. And the later is only really needed when you have certain issues, you don't have to do it every time a new driver comes out. Personally, i only do it when a new Game Ready driver comes out for a game i care about, because of the promise of being optimized for it. Otherwise i can keep the same driver for a full year with no issues.

You also get the STEAM and individual game updates and such, sure, but these ones are really fast and automatic.
also windows updates and direct x update within windows but that's automatic. it really isn't much harder than having a console is it?

nkarafo

also windows updates and direct x update within windows but that's automatic. it really isn't much harder than having a console is it?
You don't really need to update Windows, it's just that Microsoft forces you to do so. My previous WinXP and Win7 builds never had a single automatic Windows update (i had them disabled) other than manual security updates for more than 7 years each and they both run fine without a single re-format. It helps if you are the kind of user who knows what he is doing. Though, i guess the service packs were needed at some point.

Also i don't get the direct X update either. Last update was what, June 2010? All these DX updates prompts i get i simply cancel them because they either overwrite my previous one with the same files or they just automatically detect that i don't need it. I assume some installers force it in order to ensure you have it.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't know what kind of computer the op has, but for me, building PCs with quality components I have had no issues like the op is describing pretty much since Windows 7 came out. My Windows 10 PC is running 24/7 and I have never had an issue that has stopped me from playing games. Been a PC gamer for many decades btw, and it used to be a hassle for a long time, and in the beginning I had to edit my own config files in DOS to get games running at all.. Anyway, funnily enough, I've had a lot more issues and crashes, many leading to reboots, on my "modern consoles" than my PC.

nkarafo

That is a specific case which lasted until 2007. In 2008 I've got a 360 with jasper motherboard and it's still going. People say that falcon(2007) also got rid of this issue
My falcon died from this. And i took every possible measure to avoid it (had this console on an open, cool space, installed games on HDD so the DVD drive doesn't add heat, etc).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My falcon died from this. And i took every possible measure to avoid it (had this console on an open, cool space, installed games on HDD so the DVD drive doesn't add heat, etc).
shame. So it's a myth. jaspers and forward are fixed

JimboJones

Do you know who makes some reliable shit? Nintendo. I've never had a problem with a Nintendo console.
There Wii disk drives had a pretty high failure rate, most of them had issues reading duel layer DVDs.
Luckily they where easy enough to replace and then homebrew made it easy to just store stuff on HDDs to avoid further wear and tear.

Both my 360s had issues with the disk drive mechanism locking up, had to open that up too replace a little rubber band.

Last edited:

chitzy

Banned
So I bought Doom Eternal Friday on Steam and had a blast playing it. The next day when starting I see a message saying to update my AMD drivers. It was a dialog coming from the Doom game itself. So I do that.

So today I boot up and start playing. My screen and all audio shuts off after a minute or so of play. It sucks but this is a common thing in PC gaming. Many many times I have updated graphics cards and this begins happening.

It sucks because not only does it mean I can’t play my game, I can’t use my computer at all. Just starting my computer now means a guaranteed shut down within a minute or so. This isn’t a full shut down, I still see the hd light, but the monitor is off and I can’t wake it up without a hard reboot.

Luckily I am an old school PC tinkerer and know a few things about Windows. “I’ll just roll back the driver!” So I boot up and by the time AMD has loaded the whole thing shuts down again.

So I try rebooting in safe mode, holding shift at boot up, and for some reason this is not working. It used to be you could just hold shift and it would go into safe mode. Not any more I guess. So I have to boot up, run msconfig from the command line, and set the Boot mode to Safe Mode, all before it shuts down again. I do this. I get to safe mode. My monitor isn’t shutting down anymore so I can uninstall the AMD software.

I reboot. It goes into Safe Mode again lol. I have to run msconfig and fix the boot again. Missing that hotkey a lot right about now.

So now I’m back in real Win 10 and I’ve reinstalled my driver back to the previous version. ThIngs are great, games are playing, nothing is shutting down.

But at what cost? It took me a solid hour of working on this to get it to work. And I sort of know what I’m doing! This was a standard video driver update. Not anything crazy. So yeah I can see how this would break someone who wasn’t as PC savvy. Off it goes to the Nerd Bar or whatever.

When I think about gaming and the PC vs Console question, these problems are always at the forefront in my mind. Consoles just always work. The convenience factor is overwhelming.
This has nothing to do with PCs being unreliable and everything to do with AMD drivers being shit. I've had a PC powered by Nvidia since 2012 and never once had a single issue with drivers.

Top Bottom