• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reliability; Why PCs aren’t So Amazing

Donwel

Neo Member
Joy con drift seems like a pretty big issue with the Switch.
Can confirm. Only seems to be the left ones for me though. For a lot of games it isn't really an issue, or at least not noticeable (I only noticed on Mario tennis when my character started running to one side on its own), though it can be pretty annoying on the games that it is.

Brofist

Do you know who makes some reliable shit? Nintendo. I've never had a problem with a Nintendo console.

I had to return a Switch because of a faulty dock, have gotten controller drift from both a Pro and Joy con. Not acceptable when your controllers are priced way higher than the competition.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You don't really need to update Windows, it's just that Microsoft forces you to do so. My previous WinXP and Win7 builds never had a single automatic Windows update (i had them disabled) other than manual security updates for more than 7 years each and they both run fine without a single re-format. It helps if you are the kind of user who knows what he is doing. Though, i guess the service packs were needed at some point.

Also i don't get the direct X update either. Last update was what, June 2010? All these DX updates prompts i get i simply cancel them because they either overwrite my previous one with the same files or they just automatically detect that i don't need it. I assume some installers force it in order to ensure you have it.
you can disable windows update

AMD Drivers, there's your problem. lol.

Nvidia isn't perfect but I've only had a major problem with like 1 of their driver roll outs. That caused the NVKDLLM or whatever crash. If you are accustomed to seeing black screens and audio errors something else is happening.

Also best to run DDU when installing a new driver anyways.

Last edited:

StormCell

Lol wait why should I ca re what a jackass like you thinks?

am I supposed to not talk about my personal experience w gaming on this video game forum?

cool it works for all you guys that is amazing. y’all pc games for decades w no problems ever I totally believe that. that isn’t the topic of this thread.

People are just needlessly shitty and defensive of their platform of choice. I wrote about this in a different thread about how unreliable PC setups can be, only to be told it was my own fault for being a tinkerer instead of just playing everything vanilla straight from a Steam or similar client. lol

I've enjoyed both at the same time for most of my time as a gamer. I probably still would've enjoyed the PC if there was a valid, flexible and easy-to-use alternative to Windows. The hardware is there, but the reliance on this particular OS drove me away from PC gaming personally. If you have no problems with it, hey all the power to you.

StormCell

I'll never own a AMD graphics card.

This is likely my last one for a while (the one I'm currently using). I've owned 3 so far. I've owned 1 NVidia. Each time I build, I always set out to do a build with a Geforce card, but then I always come away with a slightly-more-budget-friendly AMD card that rests comfortably just behind the top Geforce cards but soundly ahead of the rest of the pack. Always a little bit more bang for the dollar. That's how they get people like me...

Myths

So is PC gaming if you aren't a pleb. ;)
EachLegalApatosaur-size_restricted.gif

i stop my pc gaming experience with multiple crash and sound issues playing the last Metro... i bought an 1500 us PC to see those amazing graphics... not counting correct color calibrated 4k monitor + HDR,

im having a blast on my ps4 first day edition, never got a problem.

Oh actually i did play batman and now CoD WarZone just to check the grapchis diference, i still play it on consoles. lols.

EDMIX

So I bought Doom Eternal Friday on Steam and had a blast playing it. The next day when starting I see a message saying to update my AMD drivers. It was a dialog coming from the Doom game itself. So I do that.

So today I boot up and start playing. My screen and all audio shuts off after a minute or so of play. It sucks but this is a common thing in PC gaming. Many many times I have updated graphics cards and this begins happening.

It sucks because not only does it mean I can’t play my game, I can’t use my computer at all. Just starting my computer now means a guaranteed shut down within a minute or so. This isn’t a full shut down, I still see the hd light, but the monitor is off and I can’t wake it up without a hard reboot.

Luckily I am an old school PC tinkerer and know a few things about Windows. “I’ll just roll back the driver!” So I boot up and by the time AMD has loaded the whole thing shuts down again.

So I try rebooting in safe mode, holding shift at boot up, and for some reason this is not working. It used to be you could just hold shift and it would go into safe mode. Not any more I guess. So I have to boot up, run msconfig from the command line, and set the Boot mode to Safe Mode, all before it shuts down again. I do this. I get to safe mode. My monitor isn’t shutting down anymore so I can uninstall the AMD software.

I reboot. It goes into Safe Mode again lol. I have to run msconfig and fix the boot again. Missing that hotkey a lot right about now.

So now I’m back in real Win 10 and I’ve reinstalled my driver back to the previous version. ThIngs are great, games are playing, nothing is shutting down.

But at what cost? It took me a solid hour of working on this to get it to work. And I sort of know what I’m doing! This was a standard video driver update. Not anything crazy. So yeah I can see how this would break someone who wasn’t as PC savvy. Off it goes to the Nerd Bar or whatever.

When I think about gaming and the PC vs Console question, these problems are always at the forefront in my mind. Consoles just always work. The convenience factor is overwhelming.

Man I'm sorry to hear that, I really am.

I've been gaming on PC most of my life and this generation is the first generation I didn't fully upgrade my PC. My PS4 and PS4 Pro became my main place to game as we've seen less and less "exclusive" PC titles over the years as the real money is made on console.

Last gen I enjoyed Crisis on PC (Got ported to console later) but still built a PC to play it when it was not anywhere else, and titles like Company Of Heros 2, Shogun Total War Witcher 1 etc But last gen I could see, compared to the gen prior, titles being ONLY MADE FOR PC, where becoming few and few.

If its AAA and cost lots of money to make.....expect it on consoles day and date.

XB is the console that TRULY started to end that cycle of PC exclusives. XB had stuff like Riddick, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry etc when they were all on PC, then with PS3 and 360, that only continued, now this gen....you'd be hard pressed to find much if any big AAA titles that only appear on PC. Long story even longer lol, I just had less and less reason to really upgrade my PC 100%. I just upgraded the GPU for 1 game and decided my PC gaming days might be done.

I don't know if I'll make a new build next gen as what game would I even be building it for?

PS5 and XB Series X are getting everything anyway.

Why deal with the headache of "bluescreen"? I have all theses notepads with settings that allow games to run better or run at all lol Be like (turn off V Sync when playing Company Of Heros 2). People love PC gaming when it works and I don't disagree with em, but when it doesn't work? When you have to open up your fucking PC? When you have to re-install Windows? Move your HDD back to a previous date to avoid some update or driver setting? Look in the bios?

This shit isn't fun, its annoying and keeps you from gaming and a few of those bad nights can lead to many just quitting PC gaming all together as most of those big AAA IP are no longer just only on PC as they just can't afford to be any longer.

Even titles I wanted to buy on PC, I changed my mind on upgrading my PC when I found out many of them had PS4 versions planned.

If you want something thats going to work 90% of the time consoles are were its at! Kick back start up your game and play. If you like depth and choice PC gaming has you covered. I really injoy building a pc. Looking at parts, building it, config the OS, and the mods for the games. I cant imagine playing “Witcher 3” with out some of the mods. You can only get this mods on PC.

Pc gaming offers a wide range of choice vs console, that choice brings problems along with it some times.

Kenpachii

So I bought Doom Eternal Friday on Steam and had a blast playing it. The next day when starting I see a message saying to update my AMD drivers. It was a dialog coming from the Doom game itself. So I do that.

So today I boot up and start playing. My screen and all audio shuts off after a minute or so of play. It sucks but this is a common thing in PC gaming. Many many times I have updated graphics cards and this begins happening.

It sucks because not only does it mean I can’t play my game, I can’t use my computer at all. Just starting my computer now means a guaranteed shut down within a minute or so. This isn’t a full shut down, I still see the hd light, but the monitor is off and I can’t wake it up without a hard reboot.

Luckily I am an old school PC tinkerer and know a few things about Windows. “I’ll just roll back the driver!” So I boot up and by the time AMD has loaded the whole thing shuts down again.

So I try rebooting in safe mode, holding shift at boot up, and for some reason this is not working. It used to be you could just hold shift and it would go into safe mode. Not any more I guess. So I have to boot up, run msconfig from the command line, and set the Boot mode to Safe Mode, all before it shuts down again. I do this. I get to safe mode. My monitor isn’t shutting down anymore so I can uninstall the AMD software.

I reboot. It goes into Safe Mode again lol. I have to run msconfig and fix the boot again. Missing that hotkey a lot right about now.

So now I’m back in real Win 10 and I’ve reinstalled my driver back to the previous version. ThIngs are great, games are playing, nothing is shutting down.

But at what cost? It took me a solid hour of working on this to get it to work. And I sort of know what I’m doing! This was a standard video driver update. Not anything crazy. So yeah I can see how this would break someone who wasn’t as PC savvy. Off it goes to the Nerd Bar or whatever.

When I think about gaming and the PC vs Console question, these problems are always at the forefront in my mind. Consoles just always work. The convenience factor is overwhelming.

Buying AMD is for people that like to tinker a lot.

If you want to have easy experience that just works, buy intel nvidia. This is just the reality of things no matter what those 3-4 AMD fanboys on this forum tell you.

AMD is notorious bad in there driver front. This is what people call AMD jank.

Also don't buy shit tier budget PC's that barely will run anything.

If you want to press and play stuff, get solid hardware and invest.

Also post your specs.

Last edited:

JayK47

I prefer the customization of PCs, but I hear ya. You have to have a lot of spare time, money, and a backup in case your main PC goes down. My backup just bricked and at the moment I do not want to spend the time and money to fix an old PC. It took me 3 months to get my new PC up and running since new PC components run so damn hot. But then when I hop on my console, I have to wait for an hour for the console to update and then the game too. Old consoles, where you popped in a cartridge and flipped the switch, bringing you directly into the game, that was convenient.

TaySan

Banned
How the heck is your PC more powerful? I bought a 3950x, specifically hoping it could keep up with next gen consoles but im not even sure.
Joke post? Got a 3900x and that will more than keep up with next gen consoles. A 3950x is more for productivity.

I won't lie to the OP PC gaming is more work than pick up and play consoles, but the benefits for me outweigh the negatives.

Helios

I fucking hate the new AMD software. Completely bloated. Can't find anything easily and it's just inundated with ads for games everywhere.
It's bloated and the one feature that I do use which is Relive (pretty sure it's not even called that anymore but who knows because fuck finding anything on that software) is buggy as fuck. Have your browser open? Uh,sorry but I can't record your game,protected content. Want to use Instant Replay? Sorry, I just turned off for no reason even though it's on in the settings. Want to record a full-screen game? Hope you enjoy a green screen. Get your shit together, AMD. You managed to do it with CPU's.

Also I think you can turn off ads.

Last edited:

dalekjay

I had a master race pc for 2015 standards when sf6 released it game me so much trouble and at same time doom reboot and like two more games i ditched pc forever, having like 3h hours to game tops in a week and having to tinker endlessly isn’t my jam as I got older.

Gave my of to my brother which was overkill for his needs bought a Mac and consoles

ViolentP

I had a master race pc for 2015 standards when sf6 released it game me so much trouble and at same time doom reboot and like two more games i ditched pc forever, having like 3h hours to game tops in a week and having to tinker endlessly isn’t my jam as I got older.

Gave my of to my brother which was overkill for his needs bought a Mac and consoles

The fact that you unironically refer to your old PC as a master race pc screams that you aren't the demographic for PC gaming and I support your decision to switch.

Grinchy

Banned
It's bloated and the one feature that I do use which is Relive (pretty sure it's not even called that anymore but who knows because fuck finding anything on that software) is buggy as fuck. Have your browser open? Uh,sorry but I can't record your game,protected content. Want to use Instant Replay? Sorry, I just turned off for no reason even though it's on in the settings. Want to record a full-screen game? Hope you enjoy a green screen. Get your shit together, AMD. You managed to do it with CPU's.

Also I think you can turn off ads.
My setup has a monitor and a HDTV connected. Just trying to figure out how to change my TV display to limited RGB in this software was a pain in my ass, but what made it worse was that it is bugged. It won't give me the ability to change the setting unless I make the TV the only active display and then restart my PC.

It's bloated and buggy and I'm pretty sick of it. My next GPU will probably be nvidia.

Gargus

Banned
My computers are reliable as fuck and have been for 20 years.

I buy good brands of parts instead of cheap shit or uselessly fancy parts, I build them correctly, I dont load down my game computer with shitloads of junk software, I run a lean antivirus, I keep windows up to date, I install the proper drivers, make sure I run the latest firmware, and so on.

In the past 20 years I've had 1 hard drive fail, and had to reload windows once due to a catastrophic failure from a windows update. I've built several computers for others and they have always been solid aside from 1 powersupply failure in my wife's pc but a simple rma to corsair solved that free of charge. I'd say that's a good track record.

If I owned as many consoles as I have computers and computer upgrades i have myself and done for others I'd probably be about the same ration for system crashes or failures.

If your pc isnt reliable it's either because you have cheap hardware in it, or dont maintain it properly.

Nymphae

Banned
I want a beefy ass PC to play a handful of things at their most glorious like any good gamer, but as a hobby I don't find it all that fun to tinker with the shit anymore, and it's more expensive than it's worth to keep it viable for modern releases.

Kenpachii

My computers are reliable as fuck and have been for 20 years.

I buy good brands of parts instead of cheap shit or uselessly fancy parts, I build them correctly, I dont load down my game computer with shitloads of junk software, I run a lean antivirus, I keep windows up to date, I install the proper drivers, make sure I run the latest firmware, and so on.

In the past 20 years I've had 1 hard drive fail, and had to reload windows once due to a catastrophic failure from a windows update. I've built several computers for others and they have always been solid aside from 1 powersupply failure in my wife's pc but a simple rma to corsair solved that free of charge. I'd say that's a good track record.

If I owned as many consoles as I have computers and computer upgrades i have myself and done for others I'd probably be about the same ration for system crashes or failures.

If your pc isnt reliable it's either because you have cheap hardware in it, or dont maintain it properly.

And that's the thing i hate the most with people advising and specially with those youtube tech experts.

Hey look guys, this AMD GPU runs at 10% faster on this 2000 dollar CPU and 600 bucks motherboard with top range Memory.

Kid buys 4/4 core shit tier cpu, 1 stick 16gb ram, and 400w power supply.

crash crash, problem, stutters, etc etc.

Conclusion PC gaming is shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom