• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder: Topless sunbathing IS legal in BC, so piss off coppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...minds-others-after-police-encounter-1.3170353

Before we get to "Well, was she hot or not?", she totally is

susan-rowbottom.jpg

If you're topless in any part of British Columbia and a police officer tells you to put a shirt on, you don't have to obey.

That's the message a Kelowna woman wants to deliver to anyone who doesn't realize being topless in B.C. is legal.

Susan Rowbottom says she was at a local beach last week, sunbathing without a top on, when an RCMP officer approached her and told her to cover up. Rowbottom said she did as she was told at the time, though she was fairly certain it was legal for both men and women to be bare-chested in public.

After confirming with city staff and the local RCMP detachment, Rowbottom said her understanding of the law was correct.

"Hopefully this comes to the RCMP's attention that they can't enforce laws that don't exist," she told CBC's Radio West.

In 1996, the Ontario Court of Appeal granted women in that province the right to bare their breasts in public after overturning the earlier conviction of Gwen Jacobs. Jacobs was initially found guilty of committing an indecent act, but the appeal court later ruled that "there was nothing degrading or dehumanizing" about her decision to take off her shirt in public.

In 2000, the B.C. Supreme Court also stood behind the right of women to bare their breasts. Linda Meyer had been charged with violating a clothing bylaw after showing up topless at a city-run pool, but the judge in the case wrote that there was no evidence to support "the view that the parks could not operate in orderly fashion if a female were to bare her breasts in a circumstance that did not offend criminal laws of nudity."

Kelowna RCMP Cpl. Joe Duncan says arrests for public nudity are rare, and usually only happen if someone is "doing something sexual," or if a convicted sex offender is naked near children or a school.
'Our society is changing'

Still, Duncan says that if a topless person is asked to put a shirt on because children or families nearby feel uncomfortable, he expects them to comply.

Rowbottom says there were no children around when she was at the beach last week, and no one had complained. However, if there had been a family feeling uneasy and wanting her to cover up, she would have done so out of respect.

Still, Rowbottom wants to normalize the baring of breasts in public.

"I think if men can be topless, women should be able to be topless," she said. "Our society is changing and evolving and I'd like to move forward with that."

Rowbottom's interview comes as three Kitchener, Ont., sisters are in the news for the same reason. Tameera, Nadia and Alysha Mohamed are planning to file a formal complaint after they say they were stopped by a police officer for cycling topless.

way more

Sigh, prepare for a bunch of toxic posts about men proving how hetero-normative they are by saying they enjoy looking at a women's front-meat.

Change we can believe in.

Two perfect examples of why barring breasts doesn't actually de- sexualize them. I'm all for equality, but this fight seems one the supporters are either naive or creepy. Either they think women being topless will somehow change the years of sexualizing breasts, or they're people who just want to see tits.

I mean, if you want to do it go ahead. Just realize a lot of supporters don't have the same beliefs in why you should be able to do so.

Zornack

Two perfect examples of why barring breasts doesn't actually de- sexualize them. I'm all for equality, but this fight seems one the supporters are either naive or creepy. Either they think women being topless will somehow change the years of sexualizing breasts, or they're people who just want to see tits.

I mean, if you want to do it go ahead. Just realize a lot of supporters don't have the same beliefs in why you should be able to do so.

Is it the sexualization or the desexualization of breasts that is cultural?

Syriel

Sigh, prepare for a bunch of toxic posts about men proving how hetero-normative they are by saying they enjoy looking at a female's front-meat.

Someone who refers to men as men and women as females is complaining about "toxic posts?"

You're not even approaching it medically, since breast tissue isn't really meat.

Calling breasts "a female's front-meat" shows how much one values women.

Grinchy

Banned
Women wanting to be topless is the most important social movement of our time. It's the only movement I will actively support.

Why would she want to though? Guys stare enough as it is. Things are going to get a whole lot creepier in bc.

Tanlines? Most people who tan do not like tanlines.

It's creepy if you ogle the topless woman. Otherwise, leave her(along with other beachgoers) alone. That really isn't difficult.

ZeroGravity

It's been legal in Ontario for quite some time I believe. Not that you see enough women taking advantage of it, unfortunately.

Sorry if this post is too toxic for some people here though.

krae_man

I read the Kitchener one in the paper today.

I can't believe any police officer wouldn't be aware of the law. It was a massive news story when the Supreme Court ruled on the issue.

Syringe

Why would she want to though? Guys stare enough as it is. Things are going to get a whole lot creepier in bc.
No one has to do it, but it's actually really common in Europe. Like... really common, and it seems to work just fine. Let people do whatever they want as long as they don't hurt anybody.

Africanus

It's actually quite easy to change how society feels regarding something. A few years of reinforcement and all of a sudden, topless is the new normal and covering up one's breasts is seen as some archaic act.

Of course, just as women sexualize men's abs/chest, so too shall it continue that men sexualize women's chest.

I mean, it does differ in other parts of the world after all.

Good on her. Should be fine everywhere. I think it's patently unfair for there to be legal barriers restricting women from the same freedom men enjoy there. Whether you think it's immoral or lewd is up to the individual, but legal restrictions should be removed.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Kelowna is a great place for cocaine and topless girls.

People have been nude at wreck beach for years. Fun place but don't walk in the bushes.

FStop7

Banned
Not to be cynical, but I get the feeling that people who make a big deal out of seeing someone's boobs in public are people who never have any other occasion to see boobs, in general.

soleil

Banned

I don't think the goal should be de-sexualization. I think the goal should be normalizing sex. In Europe, casual sex in dating on the first date is more common than in America, and women go topless with relatively less problems than America. If sex itself wasn't so taboo, sexualization wouldn't be so problematic.

Ivan 3414

Not to be cynical, but I get the feeling that people who make a big deal out of seeing someone's boobs in public are people who never have any other occasion to see boobs, in general.

Yeah, this lady's a loser. The only pair of boobs she probably ever sees is her own LOL

Frog-fu

Banned
Why would you even want to stop her?

Also, few things are more annoying that officers ignorant of the laws they're supposedly trying to screw you for.

FUME5

Sigh, prepare for a bunch of toxic posts about men proving how hetero-normative they are by saying they enjoy looking at a women's front-meat.

I am hetero-normative, and I enjoy the aesthetics of a nice pair of breasts.

What a toxic opinion I hold!

Josh7289

"I think if men can be topless, women should be able to be topless," she said. "Our society is changing and evolving and I'd like to move forward with that."

I agree, and that extends to breastfeeding as well. People have to stop giving a fuck about things that don't matter. Mind their own business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom