• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder: Topless sunbathing IS legal in BC, so piss off coppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Gender based laws are inherently stupid. If men are allowed to go topless then so should woman.

Again, it's the people who make these rules, not the lawmakers. The law is pretty unanimous that women CAN go topless, but because of public outcry, people aren't doing it.

Again, it's the people who make these rules, not the lawmakers. The law is pretty unanimous that women CAN go topless, but because of public outcry, people aren't doing it.

That's why news stories like this are good, to remind people that they're wrong about the laws. A lot of the outcry comes from people misunderstanding the law. Considering how much trouble someone gets into for indecent exposure, it's understandable that people would be cautious.

Speevy

Banned
That's why news stories like this are good, to remind people that they're wrong about the laws. A lot of the outcry comes from people misunderstanding the law. Considering how much trouble someone gets into for indecent exposure, it's understandable that people would be cautious.

I think most people who would otherwise just decide to go topless are wary of the thousands of different situations it would create.

Can you imagine the blurred line between public streets and private business? You'd have people sitting at a restaurant calling the police because some naked lady is walking down the street next to them.

Not to mention the harassment, both from those who oppose topless women going out in public and fiendish men who would see a topless woman as window dressing.

I'm not a woman, so I can't rightly say how most women feel about this, but I think it's pretty clear that even if every woman knew they could be topless, most still wouldn't, even weather-permitting.

23qwerty

One of the comments: "In the bible belt of the Okanagan, there is no doubt that organized religious families will cruise the beaches just to be "uncomfortable"."

Okanagan being a bible belt is some damn news to me. Certainly doesn't seem like it, though there are a decent number of churches I guess?

I think most people who would otherwise just decide to go topless are wary of the thousands of different situations it would create.

Can you imagine the blurred line between public streets and private business? You'd have people sitting at a restaurant calling the police because some naked lady is walking down the street next to them.

Not to mention the harassment, both from those who oppose topless women going out in public and fiendish men who would see a topless woman as window dressing.

I'm not a woman, so I can't rightly say how most women feel about this, but I think it's pretty clear that even if every woman knew they could be topless, most still wouldn't, even weather-permitting.

Men don't go topless most of the time either. Really, I only see it a lot when I'm near the beach. I think worries of a widespread panic come from an over-excited imagination.

That said, there are many cases where a man would go shirtless and it's more practical for a woman to be bound down. Breasts bouncing too much can be painful or awkward.

I live in Ontario and it's been legal here for a while, and I've never seen a girl walking around topless. When I think about it, really very few guys go topless as well. You can walk around topless, but I am pretty sure most stores require you to have a top on to even enter or get service, so I don't really see the point.

One of the comments: "In the bible belt of the Okanagan, there is no doubt that organized religious families will cruise the beaches just to be "uncomfortable"."

Okanagan being a bible belt is some damn news to me. Certainly doesn't seem like it, though there are a decent number of churches I guess?
yes. tons of mormons and the like. it's a hot bed of craziness, and I usually don't describe religious folks as crazies. polygamy, child rape, small towns that are compounds for cults, etc.

The most famous example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bountiful,_British_Columbia

Quite common in NYC if you go to the Rockaways especially Ft Tilden beach. Doesn't seem to have hurt anyone, there are plenty of families around I've seen topless moms with their young children. Biggest non issue really, you look for about 1 minute and then forget all about it and you realize how overblown the whole issue is.

Two perfect examples of why barring breasts doesn't actually de- sexualize them. I'm all for equality, but this fight seems one the supporters are either naive or creepy. Either they think women being topless will somehow change the years of sexualizing breasts, or they're people who just want to see tits.

I mean, if you want to do it go ahead. Just realize a lot of supporters don't have the same beliefs in why you should be able to do so.

Thanks for pegging me as "naive or creepy" Mr. Circle Jerk. I think America is a little nuts when it comes to shaming nudity to begin with, especially breasts.

That's not in the Okanagan though. Can't say I've ever knowingly met a mormon here either.
Kelowna and the Fraser Valley are also a part of the bible belt. If you aren't aware of this, you're either sheltered or don't live in BC.

edit: also not just mormons. I just used them as a particularly extreme example. Lots of mennonites, evangelicals, etc.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Aren't males evolutionary wired to be aroused by youthful and plump breasts? If so, I don't see how they can ever be desexualized (is that a word? Lol).

subrock

As someone who has experienced what a safe environment for nudity (in BC) I think it is complete bullshit for the RCMP to troll public spaces and tell women to put their clothes on. If you are an RCMP officer and you are bored, just hang out in your cruiser. Hassling women in safe environments is not a priority.

I honestly can't imagine a world where breasts are not sexually appealing.

I like to say that when there are more than 2 breasts out, they completely lose any appeal. Nudity is contagious, and the more, the safer.

stolin

Aren't males evolutionary wired to be aroused by youthful and plump breasts? If so, I don't see how they can ever be desexualized (is that a word? Lol).

I was living Guelph in 1991-1996 when this was all the rage.. Go Aggies!
http://www.fcn.ca/about-naturism/legal-issues/top-free-rights-gwen-jacob

Stopped traffic for miles on the 400 & 401 for hours with each over pass. Everyone should like boobs... set them free.
Holy-crap-a-SQUEEZE-comic.png

Vitten

Don't get too excited about topless bathing beaches. It's not a popuar thing with the younger generations.. You might spot an occasional perky pair but the vast majority are old hags displaying their saggy leather bags.

subrock

Don't get too excited about topless bathing beaches. It's not a popuar thing with the younger generations.. You might spot an occasional perky pair but the vast majority are old hags displaying their saggy leather bags.

Someone has never been to Wreck Beach

Fair play to her. She wasn't doing any wrong.

That's a colourful but harsh description...

Monocle

One of the best things about being attracted to men is you don't have to worry about this silliness in most countries. Arbitrary social mores are the gift that keeps on giving.

M19OhGh.jpg

We're not monsters, we're just ahead of curve.

I say let women do what they want. It's their bodies and as long as they aren't disrupting people it should be fine. Same with men but I really don't expect many to be cool with dongs out on the beach.

Sidenote though holy crap she is gorgeous, it was hard to read the article without looking up at the picture constantly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't want to normalise breasts. That sounds like it is making them less special, and I like them special. Why does everything have to be the bloody same?

topless sunbathing is fine as you're on the beach, but I'd ban walking around the streets topless. For men and women - for some reason it just rubs me up the wrong way to see guys walking around topless. Put a damn shirt on.

M.A.P.

Neo Member
I live in Romania where about 20% of women are topless at the beach and swimming pool in the summer. Like another gaffer said, it loses its novelty when there are many doing it.

I don't know about other public places, but for me it just feels normal to do it when I am sunbathing.

Imagine an alternative universe (or timeline) where boobs aren't sexualized but another random body part... like hands! Yeah baby gotta squeeze those fingers real good, maaan look at those satin gloves, so hot! Look at that pinkie, the shape is perfect!

This is just to say, that taboos are made up by society and can be changed with time.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why does something have to not be sexualized to be bare? I'm pretty sure clothed breasts are sexualized.

Ikael

Why would she want to though? Guys stare enough as it is. Things are going to get a whole lot creepier in bc.

Because some people are comfortable with their own sexuality and see no problem in being attractive for the opposite sex, go figure.

There will be less staring if people are exposed more often. Look at how ankles have become.

Ayup. I remember my grandpa telling me stories about how young men used to wait for trolleys to arrive in order to catch a glimpse of sweet, sweet female ankles. I am not joking, this used to be a thing. And now it is a thing for the past. So yep, exposition > modesty. If you want to end with akwardness you first need to get rid off puritanism.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't think it was the choice of women to be covered up and hidden away from the world's prying eyes.
Maybe not as a whole, but in places like France most of the younger women choose to cover up at the beach. The reasons vary but modesty aside, a lot of women don't want a scenario where everyone is bored with boobs.

The law isn't even the real problem. People ignore the law all the time (like jaywalking, for example). The problem is that people freak out and complain to the cops, who feel pressured into doing something about it. Breastfeeding is legal everywhere in the US but people still freak out about it. It's the culture that has to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom