• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 | Review Thread

Did Remnant 2 speed up the gameplay or something? I’m trying to figure out why people are comparing this to games like Returnal and Doom 2016/Eternal when Remnant 1 already exists.

I haven’t played it yet but from playing the first and enjoying it, I’m expecting Remnant 1 + more stuff. Is that not the right thing to expect?

To be fair, the original did appear on Game Pass and was monthly game on PS+.
The effect this should have: “Wow this free* subscription game was a great underrated gem. I’ll definitely buy Remnant 2 when it comes out!”

The effect it’s actually having for some people: “I liked the first game and this looks nice…so when is it coming to Gamepass?”

pout-lips-out.gif

bender

What time is it?
The effect this should have: “Wow this free* subscription game was a great underrated gem. I’ll definitely buy Remnant 2 when it comes out!”

The effect it’s actually having for some people: “I liked the first game and this looks nice…so when is it coming to Gamepass?”

pout-lips-out.gif

Well, the former worked for my buddy and I but I will not begrudge anyone for the latter.

Dynasty8

The game is objectively generic with lazy as fuck battle designs. What a dreadful clusterfuck going from Returnal's incredible room designs that add to combat to this run around and do fuckery laziness. A 9 should be a classic grade. This game does not a single thing unique or that stands out above the plethora of competition. Its solid, not a classic.

I love Returnal, but I'm loving this game more. I disagree with objectively generic and lazy battle designs. Quite the opposite for me. The gunplay and movement feel great. Ton of different skills, mods and playstyles to boot.

It's hitting all the right marks, unlike most triple A games nowadays. Playing FFXVI made me want to quit gaming with how "dumbed" down it was, but games like Returnal and Remnant 2 remind me why I love games.

Sleepwalker

pout-lips-out.gif
I'm currently dealing with both, I beat the first on GP with a friend, now that the second has come out, I'm willing to buy it but he's hell bent on waiting till it comes to gamepass again lol.

Just did the Postulant's Parlor puzzle. Got a cool bow and armor set.

Also, tried the Cube Gun out. That thing is fucking awesome.

I got the bow too but armor? Didn't see that but if I were to guess it's in a room in the far left corner, need to manipulate opening the gate?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I got the bow too but armor? Didn't see that but if I were to guess it's in a room in the far left corner, need to manipulate opening the gate?

I'm not sure if the room it's in is random, but for me it was the upper right room. After I had beaten the puzzle, I left and found the armor without resetting the game.

There may be even more loot behind other doors, but I think some require two people to access.

I really like the gunplay and the art design/direction/building pieces all look pretty great so far from what I've seen. Finally getting some interesting weapon mods after running a few random co-op sessions and leveling up my character a bit. So far I'm really enjoying it, seems like a game that's great if you have a 2 hour window to go on a cool adventure.

I'll most assuredly keep it installed, but I'll put it to the side when Baldur's Gate 3 launches next week.

kikkis

Game controls pretty well but I feel like this would have been better with l4d type structure. Levels are just too long and I don't think hunting secrets is that fun.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Started a new character on Veteran to run through single player, as my first toon was multiplayer and on the easiest difficulty. This game has a level of replayability that only really becomes clear on repeat playthroughs. It's really impressive how well it holds up even when replaying it again virtually right your first playthrough. This is sitting at a 4/5 for me now and a real GOTY contender. Can't wait to see what the DLC for this looks like.

GP mentality... warping peoples minds. Its gotta go

This game is very much worth the $50
Not really. Most of the people posting "this looks like a Game Pass game" aren't posting that because they're subscribers of Game Pass. Just check their post history once in a while - they're trying to push their narrative.

Field

Does this have the same level scaling as the first game? The world scales to your level you have when first entering each world?

Mephisto40

I know this is a bit of a long shot but is anybody able to help me get past the labyrinth boss, this things been kicking my ass for an hour and a half 😅

Good to be back in Yaesha, fighting the Root no less, double dose of nostalgia. Sound design is another area where this game shines and hearing the ambient noises of the jungle really brings the environment to life. Having said that the previous two worlds were more compelling simply because they were completely new. Still, the mythology, characters and lore in Yaesha remain intriguing.

Met a fantastic NPC who

posed a series of morality questions. Example:

"You're son is tied to a railroad track. You can flip a switch to save his life but that will divert the train to a track where your granddaughter is tied up, killing her instead. Your son asks you to save his daughter (your granddaughter) thereby killing him, what do you?"

Depending on how you answered these questions your reward will differ.

This is one of the many reasons I love this game, it's ability to continue to surprise the player and subvert expectations dozens of hours in. One more note on this NPC, you can give it a ring (that increases relic charges by 2!) you obtained earlier and you will get a unique crossbow weapon in return, choose wisely.

I have mixed feelings about the starting weapons when compared to the uniques you will find throughout your adventure. What I mean specifically is that my literal starting gun is *still* my strongest weapon, all things considered/in most situations. On the one hand it's cool that the gun you started with can take you all the way to the end. On the other it kind of diminishes the obtaining of uniques and the special mods they offer. On the topic of uniques 2 of the ones I crafted have *zero* haptic support, almost like the devs forgot, significantly decreases the joy of using them and jarring since overall the game has excellent DualSense support, maybe they'll patch it.

Both Gunslinger and Alchemist archetypes maxed out and this really is a winning combination. One Alchemist passive fully upgraded adds a whopping 25% to ALL damage, another makes consumable duration times doubled. Experimented with Handler as my secondary and wasn't feeling it. Devs need to increase scrap drops, would love to experiment with other starting guns/unlock other archetypes but I'm always spending available scrap on weapon upgrades, crafting, relic increases etc.

Anyway, back to the jungles. Speaking of which, armed Root enemies present a welcome change in combat engagement. They actively flank, hang from above to ambush, hide behind cover etc, it's good stuff 👌

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
A couple of days ago I had one of the best experiences playing an online game.
I joined a team doing The Lament. Eventually we got to a door with a puzzle. After several minutes trying to open it, I managed to solve that puzzle.
We entered the new area and then it was such an amazing tem work solving puzzles, finding hidden entrances, escaping traps and getting loot.
One moment I was finding a key, the next someone else was finding a secret entrance, then another dodging spinning blades, then another opening doors.
There were no enemies here, just a lot of team work to solve puzzles and get awesome loot.

Yes, this game's levels can be a bit generic. But that happens if you don't engage with the puzzle and exploration part of it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I know this is a bit of a long shot but is anybody able to help me get past the labyrinth boss, this things been kicking my ass for an hour and a half 😅

You could search for a youtube guide, they are often helpful to speed things up.

And if you're on PC and you're absolutely sure this boss is stopping you from either progressing or having fun you could optionally do a WeMod trainer on it. But do yourself a favor and completely uninstall the trainer after!

winjer

Gold Member
How fun is this solo?

I have been playing it mostly solo. And it's a lot of fun.
Sometimes I join other players game and help out. And also to get different loot or find new stuff.
You can also open your game to friends or to all other players, for difficult bosses. And there are a few puzzles that require a team to do.

GymWolf

Good to be back in Yaesha, fighting the Root no less, double dose of nostalgia. Sound design is another area where this game shines and hearing the ambient noises of the jungle really brings the environment to life. Having said that the previous two worlds were more compelling simply because they were completely new. Still, the mythology, characters and lore in Yaesha remain intriguing.

Met a fantastic NPC who

posed a series of morality questions. Example:

"You're son is tied to a railroad track. You can flip a switch to save his life but that will divert the train to a track where your granddaughter is tied up, killing her instead. Your son asks you to save his daughter (your granddaughter) thereby killing him, what do you?"

Depending on how you answered these questions your reward will differ.

This is one of the many reasons I love this game, it's ability to continue to surprise the player and subvert expectations dozens of hours in. One more note on this NPC, you can give it a ring (that increases relic charges by 2!) you obtained earlier and you will get a unique crossbow weapon in return, choose wisely.

I have mixed feelings about the starting weapons when compared to the uniques you will find throughout your adventure. What I mean specifically is that my literal starting gun is *still* my strongest weapon, all things considered/in most situations. On the one hand it's cool that the gun you started with can take you all the way to the end. On the other it kind of diminishes the obtaining of uniques and the special mods they offer. On the topic of uniques 2 of the ones I crafted have *zero* haptic support, almost like the devs forgot, significantly decreases the joy of using them and jarring since overall the game has excellent DualSense support, maybe they'll patch it.

Both Gunslinger and Alchemist archetypes maxed out and this really is a winning combination. One Alchemist passive fully upgraded adds a whopping 25% to ALL damage, another makes consumable duration times doubled. Experimented with Handler as my secondary and wasn't feeling it. Devs need to increase scrap drops, would love to experiment with other starting guns/unlock other archetypes but I'm always spending available scrap on weapon upgrades, crafting, relic increases etc.

Anyway, back to the jungles. Speaking of which, armed Root enemies present a welcome change in combat engagement. They actively flank, hang from above to ambush, hide behind cover etc, it's good stuff 👌
Fuuuuuuck, i probably fucked up the answers and got kinda of a shitty reward with that npc :messenger_persevering:

For scraps, just break everything in the level and join some people for some coop.

I'm dividing my time half solo and half exploring areas in coop.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Fuuuuuuck, i probably fucked up the answers and got kinda of a shitty reward with that npc :messenger_persevering:

For scraps, just break everything in the level and join some people for some coop.

I'm dividing my time half solo and half exploring areas in coop.

There really isn't a bad answer.

You will either get Barkskin trait (avoid violence at all costs) or Bloodstream (kill for the greater good).
Barskin is +1% damage reduction per point, up to +10 DR.
Bloodstream is Grey Health Regeneration by 0.3/s per point, up to 3/s Gray Health Regeneration.
Both are very useful. I got Bloodstream and it's very good to help recover health after getting hit.
But if I had gotten the damage reduction, that would have also been very good.

The hardest part is choosing to give the ring Tear of Kaeula or not.
The ring is very good, as it gives 2 extra Relic uses.
But if we give back the ring, we get the Sorrow Handgun, which is one of the best guns in the game.

Kadve

The first a game had a major problem where every dungeon had the exact same boring layout thanks to the RNG. Is that improved here?

winjer

Gold Member
The first a game had a major problem where every dungeon had the exact same boring layout thanks to the RNG. Is that improved here?

It's similarly boring in basic design. But now they are so densely packed with secrets and puzzles, it makes them much more engaging.

Finished this today, was playing veteran solo and by games end I had gunslinger to 10, medic to 8 and guardian to 7. Was gonna go back and try level up the archtypes to unlocked their traits for all classes but good god the grind is insanity. Rerolled some areas again on veteran because of the xp bonus, higher difficulties get a bigger xp bonus but the enemies were taking longer to kill so the xp rate was probably a tad worse than veteran for me. It's just too grindy, a run through one complete area and their respective bosses wasn't enough to get 1 level of the primary trait (in this case guardian at 8 levelling to 9). The content isn't interesting enough to justify this level of grind, I've still got the engineer and invader archtype to level along with hunter and something else. I'm probably looking at 20 more hours atleast to get them done with the scholar trait (15% bonus xp) the ring (10% xp) and mud tooth elixir (25% bonus xp for 1 hour).

Dying light 2 had similar post campaign grinds and too boring to bother with, this has evil less interesting ways to grind that xp.

edit: just saw an update from the devs on steam, they mention addressing issues with the trait system hopefully they are talking about how long they take to level.

If you go to The Chimney area in Yaesha, there is basically an endless horde mode at the end of the level as long as you don't kill the tree when you get to the bottom. You can farm pretty quickly there.

It’s ok.

Choppy though. Not close to a consistent 60.
Incorrect. 95% of the time it's a smooth, rock solid 60fps on Balanced Mode. Performance mode is known to have issues, maybe you're playing on that. The 5% of the time there are dips are in areas like The Labyrinth with all those rocks flying around in the background, that's it. Again, this is solo.

Last edited:

hlm666

If you go to The Chimney area in Yaesha, there is basically an endless horde mode at the end of the level as long as you don't kill the tree when you get to the bottom. You can farm pretty quickly there.
I've done that twice and never thought to try that, does the roof stop even if you don't break the crystal?

Ogbert

Incorrect. 95% of the time it's a smooth, rock solid 60fps on Balanced Mode. Performance mode is known to have issues, maybe you're playing on that. The 5% of the time there are dips are in areas like The Labyrinth with all those rocks flying around in the background, that's it. Again, this is solo.
Nah.

It’s choppy as soon as there are any sorts of effect. Fire in the butcher’s quarter or, as you suggest, anything in the Labyrinth. It’s nowhere near a rock solid 60.

simpatico

Any solo players who didn't like the first one enjoying this? I liked the concept, but the generated maps and boss tuned for co-op just took the fun out

Ogbert

Any solo players who didn't like the first one enjoying this? I liked the concept, but the generated maps and boss tuned for co-op just took the fun out
Yes.

Much more enjoyable. More lively. More stuff to do. More guns to find.

Really like the adventure mode where you can just mooch around and grind for materials/loot.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nah I agree with him.

Been playing on balanced mode from the start and there are quiet a few dropped frames.

It's very noticeable when playing co-op and picking up loot. Haven't played much solo, but it's not as bad there.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Again, I'm playing 100% solo, that's all I can speak on and all I'm speaking on, nothing more to say.
One of the things that ACG said in his review is that it's entirely possible for people to have different experiences of the game due to the randomised nature of levels (especially in the first couple of weeks).

I really like the game. I'm enjoying it but hand on heart, I spent a good ten minutes yesterday changing between balanced and performance, to see which held framerate better (the former does). In the Butchers Quarter, the game was definitely chugging along in the high 40s. Lots of fire effects and mobs during the mini-boss.

I'm sure they will be able to patch it.

simpatico

Yes.

Much more enjoyable. More lively. More stuff to do. More guns to find.

Really like the adventure mode where you can just mooch around and grind for materials/loot.
Really tempting. Tough because I consider the original one of my worst full price burns. (not that it's horrible or even bad, just based on the number of hours I got out of it)

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Just finished it solo. Loved it (except one boss fight). It's not all randomly generated. Maybe half areas have that element, though i didnt really realize or care. Still, absolutely loved the castle and bloodborne-esque areas. Pick the handlers class and the dog kinda becomes your co-op partner anyway lol.

Top Bottom