• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 | Review Thread

R6Rider

Gold Member
Jesus, what the fuck am I doing wrong? Started on the easiest difficulty, and I'm just getting my ass kicked by those mini-bosses, is this normal? Also, do the enemies infinitely respawn? I just ended up running because I didn't have enough ammo for everyone, lol.

I am willing to accept if it has a difficult learning curve, but there are some things that really get me out of it.
- The first area was so nice and interesting, but after is one where everything looks the same, it gets tiresome and uninteresting after a while.
- I don't like the sprint and the dodge mechanic at all, it feels so janky.
You sure you're on the easiest difficulty? I'm assuming you're still in the first world and still have the starting gear. What archetype did you go with?

Make sure you are using Traits points when you get them. Upgrade your gear back at Ward 13. In the corner of the minimap is the power level of that location. You should be fairly close to that level with your Power Level on the character screen. Don't forget to use your relic to heal when needed and you also have access to a quickslot bar for other consumables.

Lastly, certain weapon work better at certain ranges and you always want to aim at the enemy weakpoints when you can. The difference in damage is huge.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Not far in, and I don't have too much problem with the enemies. But I do have more of a problem with the stupid repetitive nature of the enemy spawns and mini-bosses, the constant "arena kill-rooms" triggers (that mini-boss horn cue sound is corny) are a lot more blatant and "lazy" than I expected. And the movement of the character is very tank-y.

Hopefully things will change for the better. I like the gunplay.

Last edited:

hlm666

Finished this today, was playing veteran solo and by games end I had gunslinger to 10, medic to 8 and guardian to 7. Was gonna go back and try level up the archtypes to unlocked their traits for all classes but good god the grind is insanity. Rerolled some areas again on veteran because of the xp bonus, higher difficulties get a bigger xp bonus but the enemies were taking longer to kill so the xp rate was probably a tad worse than veteran for me. It's just too grindy, a run through one complete area and their respective bosses wasn't enough to get 1 level of the primary trait (in this case guardian at 8 levelling to 9). The content isn't interesting enough to justify this level of grind, I've still got the engineer and invader archtype to level along with hunter and something else. I'm probably looking at 20 more hours atleast to get them done with the scholar trait (15% bonus xp) the ring (10% xp) and mud tooth elixir (25% bonus xp for 1 hour).

Dying light 2 had similar post campaign grinds and too boring to bother with, this has evil less interesting ways to grind that xp.

edit: just saw an update from the devs on steam, they mention addressing issues with the trait system hopefully they are talking about how long they take to level.

Last edited:
Good game so far. That being said, some of the exploration in the Labyrinth is tiring (I guess the clues in the name!). I don’t know where to go and I just seem to wandering around aimlessly looking for some kind of key.

It’s annoying when I only have an hour or so to play, want to shoot at stuff and end up just using all the time going backwards and forwards.

On another note, jumped down to some secret looking area and killed some boss for a staff, great weapon!
O god, I feel this so hard. Having a 3 y/o essentially means I get maybe 2 hours while she sleeps. Which doesn't really work out like that as other shit has to happen while she sleeps. Spent a decent amount of time earlier trying and failing a map and then having to give up until the next day. Not the game's fault, but it does suck to feel like you are kind of running a treadmill for "fun", but I'd rather them keep their design ethos and put out something unique than to cater to my specific lifestyle circumstances. I can't wait till I have more time to play this. Or friends.

I recently have been splitting my time between this and Baldurs Gate 3. I've now just relegated to waking up at 5 a.m. to play for a couple hours before having to grab the baby and hitting the gym. Doesn't really leave me the choice to play co-op with buddies at 5 a.m. but I'm just gonna hope I can check out the co-op on the weekend.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s nice not having to care about a game’s story and just have fun shooting stuff. I don’t see how anyone could be following along with the plot. The gameplay is far more exciting than talking to the NPC’s.

Nightweaver, oh boy lol. So cool but so fucking cheap. Anyway, as much as I've loved planet Bloodborne I'm looking forward to smoking this wraith and being on my merry way. Every sidequest in this area was cool, the NPC's were fantastic and had the best voices/performances thus far. Found so much dope loot including an elven sword, a powerful bow, an amulet that increases elemental damage by 20% and much more. Past 20 hours now, still on my 2nd world (Veteran, 100% solo, exploring every square inch as God intended), game is so good 💯💯💯

Jacob0101

That final boss

200.gif

R6Rider

Gold Member
What kinds of builds are people going with?

There's a ton of variety, but so far I've focused on a Shield relic, which when enabled, also enables several rings like regenerating health, giving damage boosts, and further damage reduction.

Bleed, Explosive, and Acid builds sound fun to try later on.

Dynasty8

I love the secrets within secrets aspect of this game. I hope this becomes a trend in game development!

The amount of different amulets, rings and relics is great. It's so fun to come up with different builds!

Same, that's been one of my biggest complaints about modern game design from AAA companies. Everything is just laid out and predictable. Waypoints and checkmarks everywhere to tell you everything. The whole sense of mystery, exploration and that surprise factor is gone. This game heavily rewards curiosity and makes you actually think about stuff. I really love that. Peak quality game design.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I was really enjoying the game till I reached the Labyrinth Sentinel boss. It has to be the shittiest most ill conceived piece of shit garbage boss fight ever. It basically has no player agency and its all luck and randomness. I could've dealt with the random jumping and floating boxes, but then they had to make these boxes shoot crap at you too. And they keep shooting this crap even if you've destroyed all their glowing lights. Whats the point then? Its too many random things to keep track. I think I am gonna head out at this point. I've better things in life than to waste my time at this absolute garbage game design.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
What are you talking about? The Labyrinth Sentinel boss is one of the most interesting and creative boss I've encountered in a long time.

Good for you I guess. Not for me I suppose. I personally just downloaded a trainer and completed the boss in God mode and now moving ahead. Yay PC!

Last night I took a break from attempting the wraith bitch boss and tried out Adventure Mode on N'Erud and all I can say is wow, everything thus far is completely new. I entered an area that is a *massive* set-piece scenario - bigger than anything else I've seen up until now - and it's complimented by music that is beyond epic, thoroughly impressed.

I have to highlight the lore and various narrative threads in the game. A lot of thought and care has been put into the world building but you get as much out of it as you put in. NPC's have a lot to say including the ones that don't offer dialogue options, keep hitting that square button! Item descriptions are fantastic too.

When I first entered the Asylum area I spent a good 10 minutes "talking" with all the patients, excellent voice work and atmosphere, they all helped to build-up just how terrifying the Nightweaver is. Nurse Morrow is a god-tier NPC, fantastic VO. Loved the nurse enemies in this area too, instant Silent Hill vibes. I quite enjoyed
playing a board game with the Postulant and aiding the Council in an investigation
in 2 separate dungeons, the game has a lot going on and is full of surprises, much more so than the first game, I love it!

What kinds of builds are people going with?

A boss drop allowed me to craft an Acidic mod so I started building around that, have it on my +10 rifle. Have an amulet that gives 20% elemental dmg. Have a ring that gives 10% acid dmg, another ring that increases mod dmg by 12%, see where this is going? Combine that with my Gunslingers tier 3 skill and elites go down in the blink of an eye, boss health bars get melted down by a good 30-40% before things get hairy and tactics come into play, I'm enjoying the build for now. Should also point of my secondary class is the Alchemist (secrets ftw!) and just unlocked perk at level 6 that increases ALL damage by 15%, good times!

Last edited:
Kinda on the fence about this

Seems like the perfect GamePass kinda game. May just wait for it there.

People really need to get rid of this cancerous "Game pass" mentality, it's a detriment to the entire industry which is dependent on us *buying games*, especially when it comes to smaller devs like this one who aren't Square, CAPCOM, Ubisoft, Activision etc. Now, if it's not feasible to buy the game at the moment due to economic realities then I completely understand that, just say that or don't say anything at all. This isn't the "perfect Game pass game", it's the perfect game to buy right now and support the devs who put their blood, sweat and tears into it. As a bonus it's only $50 on console, I think it's even cheaper on PC👌

Last edited:
People really need to get rid of this cancerous "Game pass" mentality, it's a detriment to the entire industry which is dependent on us *buying games*, especially when it comes to smaller devs like this one who aren't Square, CAPCOM, Ubisoft, Activision etc. Now, if it's not feasible to buy the game at the moment due to economic realities then I completely understand that, just say that or don't say anything at all. This isn't the "perfect Game pass game", it's the perfect game to buy right now and support the devs who put their blood, sweat and tears into it. As a bonus it's only $50 on console 👌

I’m glad y’all love it, I’m just on the fence really.

Too much stuff coming out soon too.

GymWolf

I was really enjoying the game till I reached the Labyrinth Sentinel boss. It has to be the shittiest most ill conceived piece of shit garbage boss fight ever. It basically has no player agency and its all luck and randomness. I could've dealt with the random jumping and floating boxes, but then they had to make these boxes shoot crap at you too. And they keep shooting this crap even if you've destroyed all their glowing lights. Whats the point then? Its too many random things to keep track. I think I am gonna head out at this point. I've better things in life than to waste my time at this absolute garbage game design.
I loved and that it's not really true, blocks don't follow you, they have a pattern and places where they never go, also you can crouch under them if you destroyed the crystal on their sides, i thought it was a genius boss but from what i'm reading online, people loved it or hated it, no half measure, so you are not alone:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
You can disable it in the settings I think.
No you can't, it's a core mechanic of the game and you have traits to reduce that.

Last edited:

draliko

got the game yesterday and just beat the first boss... the game feels strange in a good way, much better than the first, but still as convoluted. I need to play a bit in coop, that will make the game shine probably. Anyway fun game worth your time if you like the genre. Maybe i should reaad about some builds, my build planning skills is nearly zero, i rally don't love theorycrafting :)

Alright, as much as I'm loving this game some of these bosses have waaaaay too many cheap, ohk attacks, this Nightweaver is starting to get on my nerves. "Your fear grows more piquant" no hag, my cock grows more piquant, now choke on it 😂

Also, wish you could sell weapons or at least stash them, same with those aspect chips you can slot into relics. Cleared N'Erud in arcade mode, completely new world boss where you have a big choice to make with serious consequences/rewards, that's all I'll say (provided you explored...), the game is so good.

EDIT: right after making this post I beat her 😂

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
OMG, I just found a boss battle that is even worse than Annihilation and Labyrinth Sentinel.
It's the Mantagora and it's so boring to fight. It just flies around the whole level, but only long range weapons can hit it.
And it only shows up for a few seconds and then flies away. So it's a game of patience waiting to give a few shoots, then wait more.
I had a team of 3 people all trying to shoot it. And it took more than half an hour. And then when it was on the last bar, it completely disappeared and we had to restart all over again. But by then I was so fed up I just gave up.
What a complete screw up in boss design. It's like it was designed just to troll the players.

GymWolf

OMG, I just found a boss battle that is even worse than Annihilation and Labyrinth Sentinel.
It's the Mantagora and it's so boring to fight. It just flies around the whole level, but only long range weapons can hit it.
And it only shows up for a few seconds and then flies away. So it's a game of patience waiting to give a few shoots, then wait more.
I had a team of 3 people all trying to shoot it. And it took more than half an hour. And then when it was on the last bar, it completely disappeared and we had to restart all over again. But by then I was so fed up I just gave up.
What a complete screw up in boss design. It's like it was designed just to troll the players.
You had problem with the cube?

winjer

Gold Member
The game has one gigantic issue, compared to the first game: a cap on the traits we can use.
What a stupid decision to limit progression in such an asinine way.

Luipadre

The game has one gigantic issue, compared to the first game: a cap on the traits we can use.
What a stupid decision to limit progression in such an asinine way.

I think they are already aware of this and gonna address it in the future

Ogbert

I’m enjoying it but, just like the first, I just can’t shake the underlying procedural generation. It’s always there, in the background, reminding you that it’s not hand curated and plotted by design.

Still, it will be one of those games that I dip into and out of. Gunplay is good and the movement has been sharpened up.

Josemayuste

I'm at the last world it seems, that said, the way this sequel builds up on the foundations of Remnant from the ashes and Chronos before the ashes is staggering, lore wise is a delight for people that have already played those games, gameplay wise I only see improvements, puzzles and events are wonderfuly made, the amount of weapons, traits, archetypes and stuff well.. I can see this game being my own personal GOTY, anyone who is on the fence should buy this gem right now.

I forgot to mention about the amount of secrets within secrets within secrets.. :

the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

Last edited:

Alex11

You sure you're on the easiest difficulty? I'm assuming you're still in the first world and still have the starting gear. What archetype did you go with?

Make sure you are using Traits points when you get them. Upgrade your gear back at Ward 13. In the corner of the minimap is the power level of that location. You should be fairly close to that level with your Power Level on the character screen. Don't forget to use your relic to heal when needed and you also have access to a quickslot bar for other consumables.

Lastly, certain weapon work better at certain ranges and you always want to aim at the enemy weakpoints when you can. The difference in damage is huge.
Yeah, the first world, I guess it is meant to be this way, because whenever I used the checkpoint thing it kept giving me tips, so made a few upgrades, managed to beat a very shitty and poorly done Boss fight and it is much much better now.

Even so, my opinion doesn't change, this first world I'm in, it is so boring, everything looks the same, the enemies are boring, it's composed of several areas, but all look the same, it's so uninspiring an the constant spawning of enemies and those mini-bosses, it gets old quickly. Which is a shame, as the first area when I started the game was so gorgeous, such a great and unique vibe.
Also the movement, dodge mechanic and especially the sprint is very weird, don't like it at all.

I wanna keep going in hopes of enemies and areas becoming more interesting, but I don't know.

Macaron

Banned
Another amazing example of how fucking garbage most reviewers are these days.

9/10s everywhere for this? Lol yeah right.

Macaron

Banned
This game isn't for you. Game deserves higher.
The game is objectively generic with lazy as fuck battle designs. What a dreadful clusterfuck going from Returnal's incredible room designs that add to combat to this run around and do fuckery laziness. A 9 should be a classic grade. This game does not a single thing unique or that stands out above the plethora of competition. Its solid, not a classic.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Two words: train conductor 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Edit: also, double skill charge amulet 🤯
AbMJrxh.jpg
We just were on that bloody train and missed it!
Oh well, we'll just do it again :messenger_grinning_sweat:

For those who want to be spoiled where it is:
https://remnant2.wiki.fextralife.com/Hyperconductor

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The game is objectively generic with lazy as fuck battle designs. What a dreadful clusterfuck going from Returnal's incredible room designs that add to combat to this run around and do fuckery laziness. A 9 should be a classic grade. This game does not a single thing unique or that stands out above the plethora of competition. Its solid, not a classic.
Returnal is an 11/10 game - not comparable with anything released the past decade, but Remnant 2 is OBJECTIVELY a solid 10/10 game compared to most games releasing in these times. Solid 3 player co-op and feels fresh, even after running through the same levels multiple times. No gamebreaking bugs on release. Much more content and replayability than 99% of full priced games has. Can easily see myself put in 1000 hours in Remnant 2. Boss battles are fun, but can be a hassle if frames drop - had to adjust some settings cause my game dropped to 50 frames at some boss battles and it's crucial to have a somewhat stable framerate above 60fps.

Macaron

Banned
Returnal is an 11/10 game - not comparable with anything released the past decade, but Remnant 2 is OBJECTIVELY a solid 10/10 game compared to most games releasing in these times. Solid 3 player co-op and feels fresh, even after running through the same levels multiple times. No gamebreaking bugs on release. Much more content and replayability than 99% of full priced games has. Can easily see myself put in 1000 hours in Remnant 2. Boss battles are fun, but can be a hassle if frames drop - had to adjust some settings cause my game dropped to 50 frames at some boss battles and it's crucial to have a somewhat stable framerate above 60fps.
Idk man. Youre calling this a perfect game and two of the best things you can say about it is no gamebreaking bugs on release and 1000s of hours. I don't consider no bugs and quantity of content praise worthy attributes. Theres just nothing here new or thats way above the competition in any area. Hell, a couple worlds in i'd say some of the battle designs are actually BAD, nvm 9/10 level. Subjectively, go on and love it, i'm sure the lore and story has its fans. Objectively, which is how reviewers should approach games, a 9/10 is batshit crazy.

Alex11

It really feels a bit generic, what I really don't like is that it has so many areas that look the same, don't understand why. But yeah, it's not fair to compare it to Returnal, that gameplay, speed and responsiveness is insane, I had so much fun playing that game. Returnal and Doom/Eternal has ruined other games for me.

Top Bottom