• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 | Review Thread

Drizzlehell

Banned
I watched a stream of this last night. So they basically made the exact same game again, but with some new maps, huh? How disappointing. The first game was a bit stiff and janky but it had some potential so I was hoping that they would use this opportunity to improve a lot of things for the sequel, but nope. Gameplay-wise it looks quite literally like the exact same game.

Christ, somehow I find it so depressing. It's like no one even cares anymore. It wasn't that long ago when getting a sequel to a game meant that it will be the next iteration of the original idea and hopefully an improved one. But at the very least it was trying to be different. But now it seems like every time we get a sequel, it's basically just a glorified mission pack for the previous game.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Bought it on pc instead of PS5 and im glad. It runs around 80 fps at 1440p DLSS balanced and ultra settings excepts shadows which is high. Game looks great.

GymWolf

I watched a stream of this last night. So they basically made the exact same game again, but with some new maps, huh? How disappointing. The first game was a bit stiff and janky but it had some potential so I was hoping that they would use this opportunity to improve a lot of things for the sequel, but nope. Gameplay-wise it looks quite literally like the exact same game.

Christ, somehow I find it so depressing. It's like no one even cares anymore. It wasn't that long ago when getting a sequel to a game meant that it will be the next iteration of the original idea and hopefully an improved one. But at the very least it was trying to be different. But now it seems like every time we get a sequel, it's basically just a glorified mission pack for the previous game.
Yeah, they should have made an open world driving game mmorpg instead of improving what the fans loved in the first game like they absolutely did...

Leaving that aside, this is a cool secret

Last edited:

GymWolf

You're misconstruing what I said.
Because it was stupid and also untrue.

They improved a lot of things but they don't need to make a completely different game to achieve that, do you say the same thing for literally every sequel that doesn't change much the formula of the previous game? (Aka 95% of sequels).

I can put down any game by saying that the sequel is just a maps dlc dude, it is not as smart as you think.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Because it was stupid and also untrue.

They improved a lot of things but they don't need to make a completely different game to achieve that, do you say the same thing for literally every sequel that doesn't change much the formula of the previous game? (Aka 95% of sequels).

I can put down any game by saying that the sequel is just a maps dlc dude, it is not as smart as you think.
You're malding because someone criticized a game you like. Grow up.

GymWolf

You're malding because someone criticized a game you like. Grow up.
Oh please, who knows me knows that i have no problem tearing a new one even on my fucking gotg, your argument is just plain stupid.

This is not a huge AAA team, it's a small AA team that did its best to improve everything from the first game, you wanting a completely new game is a you problem, not a real problem.

The first game was already pretty unique in his random structure and now they pushed the randomness even more and you can have 3-4 full campaigns with a lot of new content every time, they do exploration and combat aswell as from games and the price tag is 20 dollars cheaper, i don't need a revolution from remnant.

If from can get away with similar games, i'm sure gunfire can do the same if they continue to improve the formula each time.

We have so very few good alternative to souls games, even less if you consider souls with guns.

Last edited:

Bizzare post, but i will bite.

They have improved where it counts.

Last game had limited build variety. This time we have proper, distinct classes.

Last game had useless melee combat. This time it works much better.

Last game looked flat, kinda not very interesting. This time atmosphere and vibe is much better. Makes you interested in exploring.

Best part about game is completing the game on higher difficulties with newly upgraded gear. This is supported by procedural generation so new run feels fresh. They have added way more dungeons and options to the pool so each run feels completely distinct.

I think this time they have properly realised their vision.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oh please, who knows me knows that i have no problem tearing a new one even on my fucking gotg, your argument is just plain stupid.

This is not a huge AAA team, it's a small AA team that did its best to improve everything from the first game, you wanting a completely new game is a you problem, not a real problem.
Your rebuttal is basically "well, everyone else is doing it, therefore it's not a problem" - now THIS is fucking stupid because if the entire industry is so complacent that they're fine with releasing low-effort sequels that barely change anything about the experience, then you shouldn't just accept it. It's something to be criticized.

I'm not asking for anything radical but they could at least put some effort into improving the existing formula. A good example of a sequel done right was Mass Effect 2, which was essentially the same game as the first one, but one that focused on improving various mechanics, polishing up the presentation, adding new features, and building upon the original in a meaningful way. If that game was made with the same design philosophy as Remnant and many other games that come out these days, then it would be the exact same game as ME1, with all of its problems and none of the improvements, and the only new thing would be some more story content.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Your rebuttal is basically "well, everyone else is doing it, therefore it's not a problem" - now THIS is fucking stupid because if the entire industry is so complacent that they're fine with releasing low-effort sequels that barely change anything about the experience, then you shouldn't just accept it. It's something to be criticized.

I'm not asking for anything radical but they could at least put some effort into improving the existing formula. A good example of a sequel done right was Mass Effect 2, which was essentially the same game as the first one, but one that focused on improving various mechanics, polishing up the presentation, adding new features, and building upon the original in a meaningful way. If that game was made with the same design philosophy as Remnant and many other games that come out these days, then it would be the exact same game as ME1, with all of its problems and none of the improvements, and the only new thing would be some more story content.
And your rebuttal is basically "i want a completely new game for every sequel that it is being made" ,If you are as harsh with every other game in the market then i'm KINDA ok with that, but i'm sure you have soft spots for your favourite brands where you close an eye or 2 so don't come at me with high morale stance, please.

I surely don't expect a revolution from fucking gunfire studios with 80 devs, just a major refinement of a game that i already loved so much, and that's exactly what i got.

You are not gonna find in the entire internet more than 10 post of people who loved rem1 that are getting let down by rem2, everyone speak of how much better the game is, have you actually played the thing?

Can you imagine how the fans of monster hunter would react if the game turn into a bayonetta type of game or if they change core mechanics too much? Not every sequel need to be a revolution, i should not even have to explain this.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Bizzare post, but i will bite.

They have improved where it counts.

Last game had limited build variety. This time we have proper, distinct classes.

Last game had useless melee combat. This time it works much better.

Last game looked flat, kinda not very interesting. This time atmosphere and vibe is much better. Makes you interested in exploring.

Best part about game is completing the game on higher difficulties with newly upgraded gear. This is supported by procedural generation so new run feels fresh. They have added way more dungeons and options to the pool so each run feels completely distinct.

I think this time they have properly realised their vision.
I'm gonna have to take your word for it but from what I saw the overall presentation and combat look pretty much the same. Maybe I would be more excited if the combat looked significantly improved because I felt like that was the most undercooked thing about the first game.

So I found a coffin looking object while exploring the desert, interact with it and an "alarm" goes off, doesn't attract enemies though. Well, I keep exploring, find 3 more coffins, same deal. Notice there are what look like receiver towers, could be connected, my investigation continues. Also found a locked door in a very cool dungeon area. Cleared it, got a unique trait card, no key, fully explored, interesting. As has already been pointed out the game is filled to the brim with secrets, looking forward to many more mysteries to uncover.

Need to praise the DualSense haptics once again and it can't be said enough, good implementation dramatically improves the immersion and overall feel of *any* game. Diablo 4 and Street Fighter 6 are two of my favourite releases this year but the haptics in both games are almost non-existent, nice to see a *much* smaller dev go the extra mile, I appreciate it. Will repeat that performance on PS5 is fantastic in Balanced mode playing solo (can't speak on co-op) and the game looks real pretty on my OLED.

GymWolf

I'm gonna have to take your word for it but from what I saw the overall presentation and combat look pretty much the same. Maybe I would be more excited if the combat looked significantly improved because I felt like that was the most undercooked thing about the first game.
Combat being great was the major reason why the first game had a cult following...

What do you mean undercooked? Simple mechanics?

Drizzlehell

Banned
And your rebuttal is basically "i want a completely new game for every sequel that it is being made" ,If you are as harsh with every other game in the market then i'm KINDA ok with that, but i'm sure you have soft spots for your favourite brands where you close an eye or 2 so don't come at me with high morale stance, please.

I surely don't expect a revolution from fucking gunfire studios with 80 devs, just a major refinement of a game that i already loved so much, and that's exactly what i got.

You are not gonna find in the entire internet more than 10 post of people who loved rem1 that are getting let down by rem2, everyone speak of how much better the game is, have you actually played the thing?
No, I didn't say that. Again, you're imagining things.

And yeah, repetitiveness and lack of innovation is a very common point of criticism for me in case of many modern games like God of War, or Horizon, so eat me.

The argument that this is a smaller studio therefore they're don't have to try is also such a fallacy. There are indie studios with barely a couple of devs in them that managed to innovate on their games more than this. The actual reason why Remnant II doesn't rock the boat is because the first game was somewhat successful and they don't want to risk alienating the established audience by changing too much about the formula.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Got it on PS5 and PC (4090), cos that's just how I roll these days.

- PS5 -
  • Upscaled 1440p still looks sharp, don't listen to the nonsense about this being "720p lolz" when you have It on screen it looks great (77" OLED)
  • Nice PS5 haptics which adds to the immersion, sharp controls
  • The sound is a bit messy separation isn't great but it could just be the basic 5.1 config

- PC -
  • Runs fine, using a 4090, hits about 115fps with DLSS Quality with Frame Gen smooth as butter
  • Sharper than the PS5 of course, and looks clearer but it's not like night and day, the way id describe it is like playing on Series S vs PS5, clearly lower res and has the impression of less depth on the PS5 version
  • Sound is a lot better in this version on a surround system but that's more likely to Windows native Atmos support

Where will I play?

No idea. Whatever is easier.
Very good, level headed opinion!

damidu

We don’t need pro consoles. We just need devs to stop using current consoles as budget pc
lol what does that even mean.
devs will be devs, you can only count on handful of them to be optimization wizards.
its been proven time and time again by now.

so get ready for base consoles to fsr2 themselves out of 600p with 30fps for the “real next gen” games, you guys have been asking for.

yeah we pretty much need pro consoles for acceptable framerates/resolutions going forward.
get over it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No, I didn't say that. Again, you're imagining things.

And yeah, repetitiveness and lack of innovation is a very common point of criticism for me in case of many modern games like God of War, or Horizon, so eat me.

The argument that this is a smaller studio therefore they're don't have to try is also such a fallacy. There are indie studios with barely a couple of devs in them that managed to innovate on their games more than this. The actual reason why Remnant II doesn't rock the boat is because the first game was somewhat successful and they don't want to risk alienating the established audience by changing too much about the formula.
Well, me and the majority of rem1 fans got what we expected and then some, i guess you can't make everyone happy.

To be fair with this mind set you end up with Final Fantasy... I'am not sure I want that!

GymWolf

The only thing that matters is if I am happy, and they failed to accomplish that.
You shuld try the game when it get to gamepass or with a big discount, if you like tps and soulslikes, there is absolutely no way that you are not gonna like this one, no matter how different it is from rem1.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol what does that even mean.
devs will be devs, you can only count on handful of them to be optimization wizards.
its been proven time and time again by now.

so get ready for base consoles to fsr2 themselves out of 600p with 30fps for the “real next gen” games, you guys have been asking for.

yeah we pretty much need pro consoles for acceptable framerates/resolutions going forward.
get over it.
No. If base consoles will be fsr2 with. Sdr 600p, pro consoles will be 720p base. You expect too much from pro consoles and too much from devs using them. It’s just moving the goalpost.
If everyone had 4090ti, the. Games would run 200fps like they do now on that card. They would saturate it with bloat coding too

ZehDon

Gold Member

There's bad takes, there's catastrophically bad takes, and then there's this post.

twilo99

Yes, runs really well. My experience has been very smooth on balanced mode.

I read that performance mode unlocks the frame rate? I would go for that option.

More games should simply unlock the frames on consoles, I don’t see a reason to lock them when looking for performance.

hlm666

This first World Boss can eat a dick lol, luck of the roll I guess, was *relatively* smooth sailing until now.
The nightweaver? take your time, wait for the delay on the drop attack and don't roll early. Stay away from walls in phase 2, try get her when shes on the walls masturbating and roll into the long lunge attack with the life steal. I'm using the gunslinger so didn't have ammo issues, if your having that issue and the adds arn't enough maybe use some ammo restores.

The nightweaver? take your time, wait for the delay on the drop attack and don't roll early. Stay away from walls in phase 2, try get her when shes on the walls masturbating and roll into the long lunge attack with the life steal. I'm using the gunslinger so didn't have ammo issues, if your having that issue and the adds arn't enough maybe use some ammo restores.

Wasn't looking for advice, just venting, thanks anyway 👍 Found a different, seemingly optional boss that hinges on a dialogue choice, very close to taking him down.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Did you like 12,13 and 15 though 🤔. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

I've enjoyed some Final Fantasy games didn't like others. The Final Fantasy way of doing things seems very hit and miss.
About FFXIII - let me put it this way: even though there are a lot of games that I didn't enjoy or thought that they had their shortcomings, I never actively hated any of them. But FFXIII is the only exception to this rule, and I genuinely despise it, lol.

FFXII I haven't played.

FFXV was alright.

For comparison's sake, my favorite games in this series are FFIX and FFVII Remake.

About FFXIII - let me put it this way: even though there are a lot of games that I didn't enjoy or thought that they had their shortcomings, I never actively hated any of them. But FFXIII is the only exception to this rule, and I genuinely despise it, lol.

FFXII I haven't played.

FFXV was alright.

For comparison's sake, my favorite games in this series are FFIX and FFVII Remake.

winjer

Gold Member
Pretty good player count for a AA game.

0bAsKYs.png

It's selling well on Steam apparently. 82742 peak concurrent players.

"I have seen close to no advertising for Remnant 2, though perhaps I’m just looking in the wrong places. But I feel like this has been a whole lot of organic word of mouth, singing the game’s praises. I wasn’t planning on playing it as I didn’t play the first, but enough people have recommended it to me where I don’t feel like I really have a choice, and when I get back from a trip early next week, I’m going to dive in. "

Ha I'am the exact same way most games I just stop playing or forgot about it with no ill feelings. There's only one game I actively hate. I was a weird experience I felt like had to beat it to get over it lol.

It was Nier automata...

I deliberately avoided 13 when I found out it was like 10 which I wasn't fond of.
FFXII I haven't played.
It was alright
FFXV was alright.
Agree
My man 🤙OG VII, IX and Remake are my Top 3

Last edited:

mdkirby

Sounds promising, I'll def play it....also smells of 'coming soon to a subscription service' tho, and given the mountain of other games im in no rush

SCB3

So after finishing the first game the other day and I got paid today I couldn't resist and grabbed it, actually looking forward to more of the same with Improved stuff, I watched a couple of reviews and streams and it does seem fantastic from what I've seen so far, installing it as we speak

Dynasty8

I like how the game will tease you with small holes or gaps in walls showing you there is hard to reach loot there. Then it's just: "figure it out".

Yeah, agreed. I love that it goes against the modern day AAA gaming tropes that just hands you everything and shows you exactly how to do it. This is creative game and level design at its peak IMHO.

Top Bottom