• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 | Review Thread

I watched a stream of this last night. So they basically made the exact same game again, but with some new maps, huh? How disappointing. The first game was a bit stiff and janky but it had some potential so I was hoping that they would use this opportunity to improve a lot of things for the sequel, but nope. Gameplay-wise it looks quite literally like the exact same game.

Christ, somehow I find it so depressing. It's like no one even cares anymore. It wasn't that long ago when getting a sequel to a game meant that it will be the next iteration of the original idea and hopefully an improved one. But at the very least it was trying to be different. But now it seems like every time we get a sequel, it's basically just a glorified mission pack for the previous game.
I might be the only one but Remnant is straight up my favorite game... Keeping 2 close to 1 is a huge plus for me... I am not sure I would have enjoyed any other routes they could have gone as nuch. Might only be applicable to me.

I really hope I have a job by the time I feel like taking a break... Been riding my luck and pretty sure I'm fired by now but who cares.... Just got The old Man's shotgun... extra damage on everything Gunslinger Hunter.... oh lord... I get giddy thinking of all the weapons and builds to try 😋😋😋

Last edited:

Luipadre

What difficulty are most of you playing?
I took Veteran and i get my ass kicked in the starting area.

Started with veteran. Played 6 hours on bloodborne realm. Loving it so far. Glad i went with pc version. Looks awesome on ultra and runs 60+ fps all the time

R6Rider

Gold Member
What difficulty are most of you playing?
I took Veteran and i get my ass kicked in the starting area.
Friends and I have gone Veteran and haven't had too much trouble. We aren't very far in the game, but we're all good at shooters too so will have to see how it is later on.

winjer

Gold Member
Veteran seems fair for now.

I still died 20+ times on some bosses of course but that's mostly because i'm a resource saver fucking stupid so i'm constantly underpowered.

I choose Survivor, but I regret it a bit because it's somewhat too easy. Most bosses took me only a couple of tries. Several sub-bosses go down on the first try.
Seems like survivor is easier in Remnant 2, than it was on Remnant from the ashes.
Like you, I also haven't bothered much upgrading my gear constantly. But for Survivor mode, it's not much of an issue.

GymWolf

I choose Survivor, but I regret it a bit because it's somewhat too easy. Most bosses took me only a couple of tries. Several sub-bosses go down on the first try.
Seems like survivor is easier in Remnant 2, than it was on Remnant from the ashes.
Like you, I also haven't bothered much upgrading my gear constantly. But for Survivor mode, it's not much of an issue.
Can't you just reroll the campaign on veteran?

Of course if you are not too far...

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Bought it and played the tutorial. I wish there was a way to skip it. I’ve seen the same walk and talk while going down linear corridors countless times. I just 🙄 until the meat of the game begins.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Fully explored my first area (N'Erud). LOTS of hidden stuff in these "dungeon" areas. Stuff hidden even in the areas that were hidden.

The amount of rings you get is already getting ridiculous. I have 15 so far.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Do I just keep upgrading my weapon until I feel powerful enough to move on? I think I have the basics down. Re-roll the campaign if your character sucks and can’t get past a certain boss. I don’t get a feeling like I’m leveling up. I did get a cool relic that boost my hearts.
The boss on veteran was rough because the environment and his hard hitting attacks in the water messed me up. I’d imagine re-rolling I’ll maybe 5 or 10 x stronger?

Do I just keep upgrading my weapon until I feel powerful enough to move on? I think I have the basics down. Re-roll the campaign if your character sucks and can’t get past a certain boss. I don’t get a feeling like I’m leveling up. I did get a cool relic that boost my hearts.
The boss on veteran was rough because the environment and his hard hitting attacks in the water messed me up. I’d imagine re-rolling I’ll maybe 5 or 10 x stronger?

You can also lower difficulty. Game gets hard quick on anything above standard difficulty.

Once you have good build and upgraded weapons you can increase it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You can also lower difficulty. Game gets hard quick on anything above standard difficulty.

Once you have good build and upgraded weapons you can increase it.
I read Attack of Fanboy’s website that re roll can make each area have different bosses, puzzles, and etc. 🤔🙇‍♂️ now it is coming together.

I read Attack of Fanboy’s website that re roll can make each area have different bosses, puzzles, and etc. 🤔🙇‍♂️ now it is coming together.

Yeah, that's what reroll is for.

Though each playthrough is shorter, (first game was 20 hrs, dunno about this one ) so you are encouraged to replay it. It will roll different areas for you so it will feel like a new run.

GymWolf

I advice for people who are not in a rush and want to see all the content in the game to reroll the world you just finished in the adventure mode to get some the things you missed, in just 5 hours of rerolling losomn i finded 2 great rings, a fucking bow and an electric handgun with pylon driver mod that seems pretty op and an armour set.

In 5 hours i basically changed my whole equipment.

Of course you have to be lucky to roll different content but you can reroll all you want, usually if you start in a different place from where you started the first time you visited the place, there is a good chance that you are doing the second set of main mission available for that area.

Btw i have no idea how people finished the first run in 15 or 20 hours, i have 20 hours and i just beated one world and barely reached the first minoboss of the second one.

Last edited:
Btw i have no idea how people finished the first run in 15 or 20 hours, i have 20 hours and i just beated one world and barely reached the first minoboss of the second one.

Some people seem to think gaming is a race so they rush through and literally miss half the game in the process, I'll never understand it 🤷‍♂️

Flame rounds mod is still the most effective for my starting rifle. Just made a missile mod from a boss mat drop but it seems weak as fuck.

I regret watching trailers for this game, my policy is to avoid all media to games I'm interested in a year+ before release. I haven't reached the Bloodborne world yet but man, that would have been such a fantastic surprise, I'm sure I'll still absolutely love it though, the game is so good 👌

EDIT: 2 minutes after posting I entered the portal to Bloodborne, this is gonna be gooooood 😆

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I advice for people who are not in a rush and want to see all the content in the game to reroll the world you just finished in the adventure mode to get some the things you missed, in just 5 hours of rerolling losomn i finded 2 great rings, a fucking bow and an electric handgun with pylon driver mod that seems pretty op and an armour set.
I've played one of the worlds three times and every time there has been multiple different bosses and different "events" in the world. Also some different loot.

I also like that the same boss can have a different mutator / strength / weakness to mix things up. Empathy mutator was a killer: when me or my friends healed in a certain stage of the boss, the boss healed too many times to almost full health.

Holy shit! Bloodborne world is absolutely incredible, this is bananas! Was walking down a random alley

cue cutscene of creature grabbing me and pulling me down a storm drain. I wake up on a pile of bones in some dungeon

I feel comfortable saying it now, this game is a GOTY contender, everything I could have wanted in a sequel and more.

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Check this video out if you need help in the health regen department . Those 2 rings together are literally a “lifesaver”

I love how old school and pure game this is. Reminds me of 16bit titles where every level had a totally different theme and you never knew what was coming.

I really dig that you can be in Bloodborne world, then some magical fairy shit, then alien world. It's very fun, a thing a lot of modern games seem to have a hard time remembering that video games are about first and foremost.

Also, the Resident Evil style puzzles and having to inspect items and so on are a surprising and great touch.

Good game so far. That being said, some of the exploration in the Labyrinth is tiring (I guess the clues in the name!). I don’t know where to go and I just seem to wandering around aimlessly looking for some kind of key.

It’s annoying when I only have an hour or so to play, want to shoot at stuff and end up just using all the time going backwards and forwards.

On another note, jumped down to some secret looking area and killed some boss for a staff, great weapon!

At the point where I feel 4 ring slots aren't enough lol. Found a bunch of secret rings, spoiled for choice but need to be really selective in which ones I equip. Ring that heals you when using a mod power is super helpful. Got another ring that increases range dmg by 13% for that ammo type when you pick up ammo, another that increases ALL dmg by 10% if you have any grey health. I suggest inspecting items first for the fantastically written lore entries then for the occasional secret...

5+ hours in Bloodborne world and I haven't died yet, on a role! It's funny that my starting rifle - now at +8 - is still my go to gun and main dmg dealer but I remember Remnant 1 being similar, didn't fully replace my lever action rifle until past the halfway point of the game. Most important thing is it still feels fantastic to use all these hours later, testament to the devs understanding "game feel" and kinetic combat.

EDIT: 5 minutes later I enter a big boss arena and get destroyed 😂

EDIT 2: got him on my 4th attempt 🥳

Last edited:
The Lament dungeon has to be one of the more devious levels I've played in quite some time. Kudos. I love when games just fuck with me. Reminded me a bit of a Link To The Past dungeon.

winjer

Gold Member
Just got to the final boss, and it's a fucking mess. Especially the transitions.
It's almost as bad as the Iskal Queen on the first game.

No OT for my fav game? LMaO

Never thought I'd grow up out of GAF on gaming terms of all things lol

Only kidding btw pls don't ban lol

Seriously tho, I'm a little bummed I don't get to post all the sexual jokes I've been writing about the Devs :'(

Kakax11

Banned
Also, THIS is how RE4R movement should've felt imo. Your character feels weighty and vaulting and jumping all feel hefty as well. It never feels sluggish or imprecise like RE4R.

Well, the ladder animations are fucking bizarre but...

Ladder and opening doors are the hardest things to do in games, according to some developers

Got to love a game that wears it's inspiration on it's sleeve, Praise The Gun indeed!

oXDymQK.jpg
o95uG7S.jpg

I've been in the Bloodborne world for 8 hours now, still haven't cleared it. I can say that this has become one of my all-time favourite "levels" in all of gaming, no exaggeration, maybe I rolled the absolute best version of it lol. Everything from the sidequests to environments to NPC's to enemies has been god-tier. I literally just entered
Anor Londo, before that scaled a giant clock tower that had shades of Latria
, seriously, I'm blown away. Need sleep but can't stop playing, hands in pain too lmao.

EDIT: and just hit level 10 with my Gunslinger woop woop. New skill makes all single shot weapons fully auto with kills instantly reloading amongst other things, lasts 20 seconds, time to melt bosses 🥳🥳🥳

Last edited:

Dynasty8

So I own the first game along with all the DLCs I believe (from a while back). Only played for about an hour or two. Is it worth going back to the first game? Really enjoying Remnant 2.

GymWolf

So I own the first game along with all the DLCs I believe (from a while back). Only played for about an hour or two. Is it worth going back to the first game? Really enjoying Remnant 2.
Yes, the first game is still a gem.

Maybe space the 2 game a bit to not get burned by the formula.

hlm666

Just got to the final boss, and it's a fucking mess. Especially the transitions.
It's almost as bad as the Iskal Queen on the first game.
lol I just finished trying to beat him, the red and grey colour scheme for the final boss and the fight before it are killing my eyes and making it hard to see what the hell is happening. That boss in phase 2 takes it to a whole other level, then the glitch shit just compounds it. I'm actually not sure i'll be able to finish it, will try again tomorrow after some sleep see if it helps. Not gonna lie been dissappointed with the boss fights in this game, it feels like most of my deaths come from scenarios designed to make it hard to see wtf is happening.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
That place where a guy in stuck in a tree and then 3 types of enemies spam around you spamming you from every angles , like wtf are you supposed to do to stay alive in there ? This is by far the most unfair zone I’ve seen far and I play on survivor 🤔

winjer

Gold Member
lol I just finished trying to beat him, the red and grey colour scheme for the final boss and the fight before it are killing my eyes and making it hard to see what the hell is happening. That boss in phase 2 takes it to a whole other level, then the glitch shit just compounds it. I'm actually not sure i'll be able to finish it, will try again tomorrow after some sleep see if it helps. Not gonna lie been dissappointed with the boss fights in this game, it feels like most of my deaths come from scenarios designed to make it hard to see wtf is happening.

And the performance. During the final boss fight, my fps went to the 40s. Making it even harder and very annoying to play.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
if this is anything like Risk of Rain 2 i will buy. Seems like it from the roguelite format and gameplay, though art direction is very different. Anyone whos played both games, plz let me know ur thoughts

I could go for a run of that game, right about now

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
When I saw the price initially I thought it was a short or perhaps cheap game but it’s actually quite the contrary on both account . I’m 12 hours in and I’d say I have done maybe 1/3 of the game . Enemies diversities is very good and . Also, I just love the size of the maps not too big not to small; many corridors to explore . I think what I like the most is the rest points placements ; it’s perfect as is . Always close to a boss unlike some other games so when you die it doesn’t feel like a chore to push through 20 enemies again to try him again . All this makes the game overall quite addictive 👍

Last edited:
if this is anything like Risk of Rain 2 i will buy. Seems like it from the roguelite format and gameplay, though art direction is very different. Anyone whos played both games, plz let me know ur thoughts

I could go for a run of that game, right about now
Not sure where you're getting your info from, it's nothing like Risk of Rain and not a "roguelite". You're playing through an actual, fully fleshed out story, mix of Dark Souls and the TPS action of The Division, some elements of Diablo.

When you first start your campaign it will randomly "roll" all your worlds to determine which bosses/sidequests/NPC'S/level layouts will appear, those are then locked-in unless you re-roll your campaign (resets all progress except character) or go into Adventure Mode where it will randomly roll your chosen world offering the opportunity to fight bosses you didn't get in your campaign etc.

I deleted RoR2 off my SSD after 2 hours of play, this is 100x better but very different, all things being subjective.

EDIT: if there is any similarity with RoR it's in that there are different archetypes, each having their own unique skills/perks but that's about it.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
About 10 hours in now and about to clear my third world.

Finally switched up my weapons with a LMG for my primary and a dialogue rewarded sidearm. Ran out of scrap, but want to upgrade some of my mods.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not sure where you're getting your info from,
People say the areas are randomly generated so I immediately assumed it was similar to that of a roguelite/roguelike.
When you first start your campaign it will randomly "roll" all your worlds to determine which bosses/sidequests/NPC'S/level layouts will appear, those are then locked-in unless you re-roll your campaign (resets all progress except character) or go into Adventure Mode where it will randomly roll your chosen world offering the opportunity to fight bosses you didn't get in your campaign etc.
OHHHH. So it's dependent on saves. That makes a lot of sense!

I'll be keeping an eye on this one for a sale.

Alex11

Jesus, what the fuck am I doing wrong? Started on the easiest difficulty, and I'm just getting my ass kicked by those mini-bosses, is this normal? Also, do the enemies infinitely respawn? I just ended up running because I didn't have enough ammo for everyone, lol.

I am willing to accept if it has a difficult learning curve, but there are some things that really get me out of it.
- The first area was so nice and interesting, but after is one where everything looks the same, it gets tiresome and uninteresting after a while.
- I don't like the sprint and the dodge mechanic at all, it feels so janky.

Top Bottom