• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Report] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Preorders 50% behind Ghosts

Into

Since nobody will want to take responsibility for the more than likely lower sales (as has been the trend the last few years) the higher ups will just blame it on the name, that Ghosts and AW simply do not have the same brand power that Modern Warfare and Black Ops do

This is a great solution to give to their higher ups!...temporarily because then Black Ops 3 will have to prove that theory to be correct. And they probably might bring Modern Warfare back, they know they can win some hardcore cred points by rebooting that series or even remaking the original.

Do not think any of this will help, the masses are just losing interest, it happens all the time. Nothing stays this popular forever.

Xeroblade

Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey worked on those games at Visceral

back to world war shooters! :p

The Co founders used to be high position employees at Visceral but left after Dead Space 1. I do not think its fair to blame Sledgehammer for MW3 we all know the legal dispute with Zampella and West and the departure of 50% of Infinity Ward's staff really effected the quality of MW3.

Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey left Visceral after Dead Space to make Sledgehammer :)

So you're saying there's a chance?

Pathos

Banned
Black Ops 3 is gonna outsell them all
rejoice.png
Treyarch

MormaPope

Banned
Since nobody will want to take responsibility for the more than likely lower sales (as has been the trend the last few years) the higher ups will just blame it on the name, that Ghosts and AW simply do not have the same brand power that Modern Warfare and Black Ops do

This is a great solution to give to their higher ups!...temporarily because then Black Ops 3 will have to prove that theory to be correct. And they probably might bring Modern Warfare back, they know they can win some hardcore cred points by rebooting that series or even remaking the original.

Honestly if they went back to WW2 and had simplified killstreaks/perks I'd be 100% on board with the series again. Have two drastically different multiplayer experiences, battle mode and war mode.

Battle mode would result in classic CoD multiplayer gameplay on smaller maps, 6v6 or 8v8. War mode would have vehicles, 64v64, huge maps.

UND3RxOATH

Neo Member
I have yet to pre-order because I want the digital copy. No point in spending the money now. I'm sure there are a few people in this position.

VexyWexy

Hopefully the same thing happens to the next BF so EA gets the message where they feel it.

I don't think there's a ton of interest in Hardline anyway. Once people played the beta and saw it was just BF4 with a half-assed cops and robbers theme I can't imagine they ran out and preordered it. If Hardline didn't exist and BF5 did poorly, it would be more telling.

Vidpixel

It was only a matter of time, honestly. Advanced Warfare is looking mighty impressive to me though, much more than Ghosts ever did before release. Plus, it is Slegehammer Games first solo foray into the Call of Duty franchise, so that might factor into this, as well as the lukewarm reception to Ghosts that proceeded this entry.

I'm really curious to see how Treyarch's game will do come next year.

Pastry

Banned
I don't think there's a ton of interest in Hardline anyway. Once people played the beta and saw it was just BF4 with a half-assed cops and robbers theme I can't imagine they ran out and preordered it. If Hardline didn't exist and BF5 did poorly, it would be more telling.

Even if Hardline sells terribly the game following it is Star Wars: Battlefront, that's going to sell like crazy.

For me I'll be sticking to BF4 when I want my fix, going to skip Hardline and wait for Battlefront.

Huge maps with terrible spawns and tons of flanking spots, which results in firefights happening in random parts of the map and not finding other players to kill. Radar killsteak changed drastically, to the point where radar isn't nearly as important as before. Sound whoring (listening to footsteps intensively) is the best method to winning and excelling at firefights. You die almost instantly while fighting another dude, getting multiple kills in a single firefight feels impossible most of the time. A lot of weapons feel useless compared to other weapons. Way too many perks, useless perks in general.

In list form:

- Worst maps and spawns in the series
- Firefights and killing dudes is often frustrating or feels way too abrupt
- Most deaths happen from getting shot in the back or side
- Latency feels all sorts of fucked up, a lot of the time
- Weapon variety is nice but most of the weapons feel the same, very OP weapons in general
- Radar killstreak is gimped
- Overabundance of perks

Repost:
"I disagree. COD is best when you have team firefights in choke points. The abilty to move many different directions, ala Ghost, will get you constantly kill from behind which gets boring and fustrating quickly. Add in TF movements plus larger areas to be able to use it, it will make it even worse."

In Ghost, you end up with 2 types of player, "shitty" players that runs around and gets killed nonstop from behind. "Good" players that camp a spot waiting to kill someone from behind, move to another spot and repeat. That's why so many people hate it.

So the maps are awful since they encourage camping and make it hard to find other players and the low time to kill means that when you do find someone the encounters don't last long before you have to find someone again. Sounds like a slow(ish) pace overall.

In my experience, MW2 -> MW3 -> Ghosts are are about the same, depends on the map.
A huge portion of MW2's fun was the fact that it was broken as hell.

Anybody remember Akimbo Model 1887s? You were literally sniping people across the map with shotguns. I was so sad when they patched that.

Kill3r7

COD 2 on 360 was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had. Played the hell out of it at launch, absolutely loved that game.

Sometimes I forget how much I adored that game, based upon my current apathy to the series.

Does that game hold up? I might wanna try it again on PC....

(I'm talking campaign strictly)

It's still very good game but COD4 completely changed the series and gameplay. So, going back to COD2 might be a bit of a shock to the system.

Gator86

I don't think this is "just" because of ghosts, but rather, Ghosts was the straw that broke the camels back.

Its like eating mcdonalds every week and getting a dodgy cheeseburger. You start reevaulate why on earth are you eating Mcdonalds each week anyway.

I still think its a damn shame for sledgehammer. They are basically combating the DMC2 effect.

This McDonalds analogy is fantastic and incredibly accurate.

For me, the series died with Black Ops 1. That's when I realized I wasn't really having fun anymore and it just felt stale. I bought MW3 just in case the old magic was still there and it was definitely not. It says a lot that people are actually excited for the Treyarch versions. They used to be the B-team everyone loathed.

That said, I'm excited to rent AW. It seems like a solid weekend of stupid fun. It would take a full series reinvention to get me to spend money on a COD game again though.

GPsych

Series has run its course. It's an artifact from last gen. I still think we'll see good sales but it's time to move on.

Although I agree with this, I wonder to what game/franchise should the CoD audience move? I'm a bit worried that the answer is that a huge number of players will just stop playing/buy less games (therefore shrinking the market further) or just move to mobile. Seems like a bad sign for consoles in general.

m@cross

To be clear, I was referring to the next true BF, not the BF Half Ass edition they delayed.

Out of the 9 or so people I played BF with every week, non are playing anymore and all are firm that they will not buy the next true BF until months in to be sure it is not shit.

Huge maps with terrible spawns and tons of flanking spots, which results in firefights happening in random parts of the map and not finding other players to kill. Radar killsteak changed drastically, to the point where radar isn't nearly as important as before. Sound whoring (listening to footsteps intensively) is the best method to winning and excelling at firefights. You die almost instantly while fighting another dude, getting multiple kills in a single firefight feels impossible most of the time. A lot of weapons feel useless compared to other weapons. Way too many perks, useless perks in general.

In list form:

- Worst maps and spawns in the series
- Firefights and killing dudes is often frustrating or feels way too abrupt
- Most deaths happen from getting shot in the back or side
- Latency feels all sorts of fucked up, a lot of the time
- Weapon variety is nice but most of the weapons feel the same, very OP weapons in general
- Radar killstreak is gimped
- Overabundance of perks

Your spot on with this. Square maps with multiple entry/exits = rage inducing gameplay. Fucking horrible map design.

Eggbok

As much as I agree with the sentiment, I disagree with these two points. Call of Duty and many other franchises have shown now that people don't have an allegiance to developers or specific sub series, just the series as a whole.

And as for MW3, it gets a lot of hate on gaf but I don't see think that amounts to much, many people I know like MW3 alot. Whereas Ghosts, everyone hates.

Going off of a good chunk of Call of Duty players I know, Treyarch is the fave. The competitive side is one of the biggest things they loved about BO2. And the other half is zombies. So while I do agree with you, Treyarch is definitely the favorite of the 3.

And MW3 was Ghosts before Ghosts, just not as bad. :p

NHale

This game needed a beta to show us all it won't be another Ghosts, unless it is of course.

There is still time for that. Launch a public beta on PSN/XBL open to everyone. 1 map with TDM+Domination+Ground War available to play. If it's great then people like me would buy it immediately considering the lack of options this Fall for FPS.

But after watching the recent twitch livestream, I'm sure they won't release a public beta... The game has even more gadgets, enemies glow red on screen, etc. Exactly the opposite of what people want. To me it felt like COD MW3 with ability to jump high + broken perks and weapon gadgets.

AHA-Lambda

While I wish they cited their sources better:

http://microsites.ign.com/call-of-duty-a-short-history/#_

In fact the decline happened at BlackOps 2, the series leveled out at the BlackOps and MW3(which actually sold slightly more than BlackOps) points since their overall sales are equal.

Oh? Interesting. I do wonder where they got the numbers from though but it's rare to get hard numbers on CoD games nowadays.

Paints a bleak picture from MW3 to Blops 2 to Ghosts then (26m to 24m to 20m) and now AW may do only 17m? Which if becomes true would make it the lowest CoD since MW2 :S

Alienous

I'm not sure I want the prominence of the COD franchise to die out. Especially with, in recent times, the industry at large seeming to find its own legs, rather than chasing the dream of nipping at COD's coat-tails.

I feel like what would replace it could be much worse.

QaaQer

Although I agree with this, I wonder to what game/franchise should the CoD audience move? I'm a bit worried that the answer is that a huge number of players will just stop playing/buy less games (therefore shrinking the market further) or just move to mobile. Seems like a bad sign for consoles in general.

LoL, Dota, that new gearbox f2pfpsmoba...there are options. And since the core audience is 16-30 year old males for all of these games, f2p might just be claiming another victim.

kuYuri

A huge portion of MW2's fun was the fact that it was broken as hell.

Anybody remember Akimbo Model 1887s? You were literally sniping people across the map with shotguns. I was so sad when they patched that.

Yes I remember it. and I hated it. Along with all the other cheap shit like One Man Army/Danger Close grenade spam. And Commando. Fuck that game.

Gator86

I'm not sure I want the prominence of the COD franchise to die out. Especially with, in recent times, the industry at large seeming to find its own legs, rather than chasing the dream of nipping at COD's coat-tails.

I feel like what would replace it could be much worse.

I actually worry about the same thing. It's all well and good for someone to throw up a post wishing COD would die even faster, we have no clue how it might affect the industry. Will the COD-bro audience move to another franchise? Will they leave core gaming overall? What likely horrific thing will take COD's place? I feel like I'm happier with the status quo. At this point, devs seem to mostly know that they're not catching the COD audience anyway so that isn't even the issue it used to be.

protonion

MW and Blops were my top mp experiences last gen.

I abandoned blops 2 after a month. It felt random.
And I didn't bother with Ghosts.

It's not fatigue. They've lost it.

Treyarch's Cod (next year?) is their last chance for me.

pantsmith

I actually pre-ordered it for the Destiny shader (lol), and I've never pre-ordered a Call of Duty game before, let alone played one.
That five dollars is going towards Kingdom Hearts II HD

I guess they did something right? Hah.

Top Bottom