• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Report] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Preorders 50% behind Ghosts

AHA-Lambda

The industry-tracking expert notes that Advanced Warfare is tracking 80 percent behind 2012’s Black Ops II.

God damn!

If Advanced Warfare sells worse than Ghosts, this could signify that the franchise is on a permanent decline.

It already is, it's been selling less every year since Black Ops 1.

If AW sells less than Ghosts, this may be the fatigue setting in that helped kill off Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

I don't think Ghosts was the reason that CoD is on a decline, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

This is all that's happening; people are just growing tired of COD. It was inevitable when there's a new one each year. I'm sure this is partly why Activision pushed Destiny so hard, as they need something to pick up the slack for COD's shrinking sales. Anecdotally, I have a friend who has been a massive fan since COD4, and he told me he's bored of it now. He bought Ghosts, but didn't think it was very good, and I don't think he intends to buy AW. This'll happen to Assassin's Creed at some point too, although Ubi have milked the crap put of that franchise without it coming back to bite them yet.

That'd be interesting if COD fails to sustain its status as 'super mega blockbuster to end all blockbusters' in this new generation.

I'm pretty sure most people expected it, including Activision- that's why they bet so much on Destiny. Which will probably fill the hole left by CoD quite nicely in the long run.

Kathian

Banned
People are hailing AW for changing the game up so much whilst ignoring that the 20M fans were all reasonably happy with the previous formula but just felt it was not being made to the high quality they knew the series for.

This is a new franchise just as Modern Warfare was in my eyes. Has to be viewed differently.

AHA-Lambda

Kinda expected honestly, few reasons why:
- First CoD after Ghosts
- First Sledgehammer CoD
- They worked on MW3
- It's Not Black Ops 3 (although kinda Black Ops 2.5)
- People are tired of CoD

As much as I agree with the sentiment, I disagree with these two points. Call of Duty and many other franchises have shown now that people don't have an allegiance to developers or specific sub series, just the series as a whole.

And as for MW3, it gets a lot of hate on gaf but I don't see think that amounts to much, many people I know like MW3 alot. Whereas Ghosts, everyone hates.

I'm pretty sure most people expected it, including Activision- that's why they bet so much on Destiny. Which will probably fill the hole left by CoD quite nicely in the long run.

This is 100% true. However Acti didn't anticipate this much of a drop hence the massive retailer push.

Hope the game is successful personally as we need as many big hits in this industry as we can get.

MormaPope

Banned
This train could only go so far.

"Every CoD is the same game" is a lame assertion in general. But as someone who has been on the CoD train since CoD 2, I don't get excited for CoD titles at all anymore. It doesn't help when each CoD is drastically different when it comes to quality and content. CoD Ghost had a lot of content, but the map design and other multiplayer aspects were terrible.

The series peaked with Black Ops 1. And the franchise has sorta lost its way since then. Map design, weapon balance, perk balancing, killstreak balancing/fun, that's what makes a CoD game great, drastic tonal differences and adding more toppings to what is already overzealous icecream is hurting the franchise.

Averon

Franchise fatigue was bound to hit CoD sooner or later. Ghosts being as bad as it was just hastened the decline.

Man, Ghosts must have really hurt the brand. Advanced Warfare looks a lot better than, like, the last three CoD games.

Or maybe the general CoD player is reacting well to the more Sci-fi approach that Advanced Warfare is taking?

Syrus

Banned
As silly as this sounds, I don't want CoD to go away, their campaigns are usually very good. AW looks great, I hope it is great

Into

Was Ghost really that bad? What was the common complaints?

Other than overpowered perks, equipment, unbalanced weapons which, lets be fair, one could say about every CoD game. However what is unique about Ghosts is the larger maps, that really break up the action in my opinion and the game feels "slower" for that reason.

In addition to that i think they are fucking with the leveling system every year, when it was perfectly fine in MW, MW2 or even Black Ops. Pick any of those and tweak it and its fine, yet every year they make it more confusing and just bloated imo.

However i dont think the sales decline and popularity decline is just due to Ghosts, its been going on for years now.

50% less preorders than the latest game? That seems like a really, really steep decline. I'm guessing that it is due to a combination of franchise fatigue, Ghosts being lacklustre, and the sci-fi premise (maybe?).

As someone who has never played CoD, why exactly is Ghosts considered to be so bad?

Patryn

Would it be that interesting? It's pretty expected at this point. It's why Activision is trying to push Destiny and trying to buy take 2. How many mega hits survive generations? Mario Kart and sports games?

Keep in mind that we're only to Mario Kart 8, and it's been five console generations.

AW is actually the eighth CoD since MW, and that's only over two generations.

Alienous

"Gamers only pre-order a few games a year ... boasting the highest pre-orders of any new IP, Destiny clearly captured a large part of the partially shared market for the two titles ... any decrease in pre-order numbers is a symptom of this, and the pre-order numbers themselves still show strength beyond the large majority of titles being released this year ... and as the console transition continues, we are confident that the numbers will rise again to the heights seen consistently just a few years ago."

The failure would have to be catastrophic before being acknowledged.

MormaPope

Banned
Was Ghost really that bad? What was the common complaints?

Huge maps with terrible spawns and tons of flanking spots, which results in firefights happening in random parts of the map and not finding other players to kill. Radar killsteak changed drastically, to the point where radar isn't nearly as important as before. Sound whoring (listening to footsteps intensively) is the best method to winning and excelling at firefights. You die almost instantly while fighting another dude, getting multiple kills in a single firefight feels impossible most of the time. A lot of weapons feel useless compared to other weapons. Way too many perks, useless perks in general.

In list form:

- Worst maps and spawns in the series
- Firefights and killing dudes is often frustrating or feels way too abrupt
- Most deaths happen from getting shot in the back or side
- Latency feels all sorts of fucked up, a lot of the time
- Weapon variety is nice but most of the weapons feel the same, very OP weapons in general
- Radar killstreak is gimped
- Overabundance of perks

I'm conflicted on this one, as advanced warfare actually looks like a tonne of fun. And if Activision are looking at this from the perspective of "I guess folks don't want futuristic faster paced gameplay " then il be dissapointed if they decide to keep COD grounded in boring reality.

That being said, Id also be fairly happy if this results in people finally realising that the big dumb AAA Shooter just isn't going to cut it anymore.

MormaPope

Banned
When it comes to Advanced Warfare multiplayer, it looks like the most unbalanced CoD in a long time. I can already sense and feel frustration based on the mulitplayer reveal.

knitoe

50% less preorders than the latest game? That seems like a really, really steep decline. I'm guessing that it is due to a combination of franchise fatigue, Ghosts being lacklustre, and the sci-fi premise (maybe?).

As someone who has never played CoD, why exactly is Ghosts considered to be so bad?
Repost:
"I disagree. COD is best when you have team firefights in choke points. The abilty to move many different directions, ala Ghost, will get you constantly kill from behind which gets boring and fustrating quickly. Add in TF movements plus larger areas to be able to use it, it will make it even worse."

In Ghost, you end up with 2 types of player, "shitty" players that runs around and gets killed nonstop from behind. "Good" players that camp a spot waiting to kill someone from behind, move to another spot and repeat. That's why so many people hate it.

BPoole

It's time for a CoD MP only F2P games where you slowly accumulate COD points to buy more guns. Attachments, skins, maps, and extra game modes can only be obtained with real money

"Gamers only pre-order a few games a year ... boasting the highest pre-orders of any new IP, Destiny clearly captured a large part of the partially shared market for the two titles ... any decrease in pre-order numbers is a symptom of this, and the pre-order numbers themselves still show strength beyond the large majority of titles being released this year ... and as the console transition continues, we are confident that the numbers will rise again to the heights seen consistently just a few years ago."

The failure would have to be catastrophic before being acknowledged.

WATCH_DOGS was the fastest selling new IP ever a few months ago.

Front loaded sales driven by extreme hype are zero indicator of a new lasting franchise a la Halo or Call of Duty. And it's far from proven that the hardcore shooter faithful will spend the next few years grinding against hoardes and raiding.

There is absolutely no surprise that Advanced Warfare would be declining at the same rate as we've seen with Black Ops 2 -> Ghosts in NPD and GfK data.

The IP is quickly losing momentum.

kuYuri

In list form:

- Worst maps and spawns in the series
- Firefights and killing dudes is often frustrating or feels way too abrupt
- Most deaths happen from getting shot in the back or side
- Latency feels all sorts of fucked up, a lot of the time
- Weapon variety is nice but most of the weapons feel the same, very OP weapons in general
- Radar killstreak is gimped
- Overabundance of perks

Repost:
"I disagree. COD is best when you have team firefights in choke points. The abilty to move many different directions, ala Ghost, will get you constantly kill from behind which gets boring and fustrating quickly. Add in TF movements plus larger areas to be able to use it, it will make it even worse."

In Ghost, you end up with 2 types of player, shitty players that runs around and gets killed nonstop from behind. "Good" players that camp a spot waiting to kill someone from behind, move to another spot and repeat. That's why so many people hate it.

I just did a time warp to 2010 again.

I remember when people were making more or less the same complaints since MW2.

EDIT:corrected myself

Nabs

I had fun with it. The campaign was different and it had some twists. MP was fun as well.

I say it was a KICK ASS PRODUCT. I'm Rodney Reynolds and this has been another video review.

Ghosts had ass-tier map design and encounter design (shit spawns). There was just no flow when playing.

I just did a time warp to 2010 again.

I remember when people were making more or less the same complaints for MW2.

Because MW2 also had many of those issues.

COD 2 on 360 was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had. Played the hell out of it at launch, absolutely loved that game.

Sometimes I forget how much I adored that game, based upon my current apathy to the series.

Does that game hold up? I might wanna try it again on PC....

(I'm talking campaign strictly)

TomShoe

Banned
AW will probably be the first CoD I don't buy day 1.

It's not that I don't have any faith in Sledgehammer, it's that I'm still on last-gen and $60 isn't worth it for a PS3 version.

WATCH_DOGS was the fastest selling new IP ever a few months ago.

Front loaded sales driven by extreme hype are zero indicator of a new lasting franchise a la Halo or Call of Duty. And it's far from proven that the hardcore shooter faithful will spend the next few years grinding against hoardes and raiding.

I'd imagine that the CoD expats will be the ones who completely ignore the PvE side of the game and just spend all day PvPing, assuming that's even a viable playstyle in Destiny (I'm still at level 10 or so.)

CoG

Series has run its course. It's an artifact from last gen. I still think we'll see good sales but it's time to move on.

Advanced Warfare looks like the best Call of Duty game in a long time and finally brings something different to the table. I will for sure buy it !

Kinda expected honestly, few reasons why:
- First CoD after Ghosts
- First Sledgehammer CoD
- They worked on MW3
- It's Not Black Ops 3 (although kinda Black Ops 2.5)
- People are tired of CoD

No Zombies either. Just Survival like MW3 without the spec ops missions.

I think the biggest factor is Ghosts being so bleh.

But also, I think something to consider is that there are still people crossing over to the new gen and many are probably unsure if they'll have a new console in time or not, or perhaps plan to get one before the end of the year, in which case, why pre-order if you don't know what system to get it for.

While I wish they cited their sources better:

http://microsites.ign.com/call-of-duty-a-short-history/#_

In fact the decline happened at BlackOps 2, the series leveled out at the BlackOps and MW3(which actually sold slightly more than BlackOps) points since their overall sales are equal.

I don't think this is "just" because of ghosts, but rather, Ghosts was the straw that broke the camels back.

Its like eating mcdonalds every week and getting a dodgy cheeseburger. You start reevaulate why on earth are you eating Mcdonalds each week anyway.

I still think its a damn shame for sledgehammer. They are basically combating the DMC2 effect.

Top Bottom