• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Report] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Preorders 50% behind Ghosts

Ghosts is solely to blame. A lot of people preordered it and it was total garbage. Everyone is pulling a wait and see (rightfully so, but I think AW is gone be good).

This is a downward trajectory I can get behind. It'll be nice to eventually live in a world again where annual CoD entries don't exist.

Duxxy3

It's one of a few things, or a combination of them.

Ghosts has soured people. The series is in decline. It's too futuristic for some people.

Vire

I just hope this is people finally learning how to protect themselves as consumers and not pre-ordering the game. By all means pick it up the day after it comes out if it looks good but pre-ordering game is what leads to crap like ghost or bf4.

Malice215

You can blame Ghosts for people being reluctant to pre-order AW. I don't blame fatigue because of how well Blops 2 did, but it's clear that people are waiting for word of mouth before they jump in, which I don't blame them because I'm in the same boat.

Alienous

Damn Infinity Ward.

I refuse to call those imposters by that name.

If I were CEO of Activision I'd enter their offices and just start flipping shit. Computers, chairs. Then I'd take all of their awards. "These don't belong to you". Then I'd go to Bungie, make them take handwritten notes while playing Halo 1-3, and shit in their toilets without flushing.

If I were CEO of Activison, I would not allow for any of that decline bullshit.

Eggbok

No worries, Black Ops 3 will have 50% higher pre-orders than AW.

If they upgrade League Play, have actual dedicated servers, increase the zombie map size, player count, zombie numbers or something crazy like that. I wouldn't doubt a 100% increase. There is so much Treyarch could do to bring it back up.

If COD disappears without a replacement, this industry is going to shrink to SNES/Genesis levels.

You're right. Given that there's a real dearth of military shooters doing the rounds right now, there's nothing that could replace CoD should it succumb entirely to irrelevance.

Jawmuncher

Will be interesting how this affects Acti since that's their money focus.
Especially since they'll have a uphill battle with Destiny 2 after it's reception.

Vidpixel

Will be interesting how this affects Acti since that's their money focus.
Especially since they'll have a uphill battle with Destiny 2 after it's reception.

After all the critical responses to Destiny, I have a feeling Destiny 2 will be something special. The foundation is there, Bungie just needs to work on the periphery surrounding this solid core.

Ogimachi

Doesn't the average american gamer buy ~3 games a year? I doubt most people will buy shooters alone, so I'd say it's not just fatigue, but also people who bought destiny and those planning on buying other FPS later this year.

Knoxcore

I admit, I was waiting for this day to come. The last few iterations were just terrible. It's not like there are no alternatives. There are quite a few better shooters out there. And frankly, I think the FPS genre is over saturated.

Nzyme32

Well COD has been milked pretty much as heavily as was possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if some reviews managed to perk up the pre-orders.

Still, I may well purchase it when it eventually hits the the sub £10 region purely for Kevin Spacey. Although that would be my first COD purchase since Cod 4

But the console market isn't growing. Every sign points to the market shrinking. Losing its largest franchise wouldn't increase growth.

The market isn't shrinking because of hardcore games, its shrinking because its losing casuals to mobile.

As for growth, ehh. Im fine with things stagnating for a bit, hopefully it will make producers more competitive for our money instead of constantly trying to trick us and screw us over.

regardless, you don't "lose" a franchise as big as COD. The worse that will happen is that it will just become a smaller franchise, instead of the mega blockbuster it has become. That means that it has to innovate more and provide more value. As a gamer, thats all I care about.

Kacho

It's sad to see the decline of CoD become a reality. I'm still a big fan of the series, even after the massively disappointing Ghosts. I wonder if Treyarch's game next year will help things at all.

Yes I remember it. and I hated it. Along with all the other cheap shit like One Man Army/Danger Close grenade spam. And Commando. Fuck that game.
I was THAT guy and I do not regret it! But I used rockets and claymores as well. Friends used to jokes I fired more rockets and grenades than bullets. They were right of course.

I wonder if they'll do what they did with Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero, and instead of re-evaluating the wisdom of annual releases, just scrap the franchise and say "fuck it, we've got Destiny and Skylanders".

...and the cycle continues.

I think this has more to do with the push toward Destiny by Activision. It was THE game to get. Now that it mostly hasn't lived up to the hype, people will more likely jump back into COD. I know a lot of people who thought that was going to be the game they played well into next year. Seems like that isn't necessarily going to happen. They will eventually fall back into the warm embraces of COD. It just may not be as heavily Preordered as it was before. It most likely will follow a different sales Trajectory.

Top Bottom