• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

georly

My garbage ms paint mockup

CrHsV5hXgAA_pn4.jpg:small

Tranquilo

Banned
Useless for you and I, but never underestimate how addicted people are to validating themselves on social media.

A share button is the next logical step for Miiverse. It essentially replaces the 'press home, then press miiverse button, then press...' however many steps it took to post something.

Because it can't possibly be because most gamers prefer a sense of community and enjoy the social aspect of gaming? It has to be because we're after likes and 'yeahs,' right? ( obligatory condescending Wonka img ) ((RIP Gene Wilder))

I like that. I'm assuming the grey nubs are the connectors which attach the controls into the screen portion?

The only issue with that is shoulder and trigger buttons... you'd probably need to have shoulder buttons on both ends of the controllers, and maybe one single trigger on the backside? Not sure how it could work, but it's a cool concept.

A share button is pretty useful especially on a portable. Save screenshots and video and post it later when you get a connection. If you're out of wifi range on 3DS or Wii U you're screwed.
But...I'm not sure you can store a lot of videos on that small space unless it's only when docked and there's an HDD there

Eolz

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that the NX dock does have USB ports and that the 32g flash storage is in the NX tablet:

If I have an external HDD connected to the dock and have a large library of digital games, would I have to copy/delete software to and fro the dock/tablet for on-the-go life? Hmm . . .

That would be what makes the most sense.

Well personally I never found it that comfortable, with the spikes in the middle often digging into my thumb. Judging by responses in this thread it looks like I'm not alone.
The responses in this thread is likely coming from people who favor Nintendo hardware and games. I'm not saying you are alone, just pointing out its not some horrible thing to use a DS4 style D-pad. It's millions on the other side of the arguments as well.

Hell, A guy won a Street fighter tournament with a PS1 Dualshock a few Evo's back.

Horrible news if true, if there's something I hate about Sony is their dpads. I just bought street fighter 5 and that game is almost unplayable with that pos of a pad. Ugh

The responses in this thread is likely coming from people who favor Nintendo hardware and games. I'm not saying you are alone, just pointing out its not some horrible thing to use a DS4 style D-pad. It's millions on the other side of the arguments as well.

Hell, A guy won a Street fighter tournament with a PS1 Dualshock a few Evo's back

WAT!

First time I've seen people complain about the PS4 dpads. One of the only things the DS4 actually did right, and the share button (go figure). I welcome this news, and it doesn't sound bad at all.

Can't wait for the threads in 10 years time claiming Nintendo invented the share button...

First time I've seen people complain about the PS4 dpads. One of the only things the DS4 actually did right, and the share button (go figure). I welcome this news, and it doesn't sound bad at all.

Can't wait for the threads in 10 years time claiming Nintendo invented the share button...

What? The DS4 did pretty much everything right, save for a questionable build quality in early controllers.

I adore the DS4.

roytheone

Horrible news if true, if there's something I hate about Sony is their dpads. I just bought street fighter 5 and that game is almost unplayable with that pos of a pad. Ugh

WAT!

Even the vita d-pad? I think it is one of the best d-pads I ever used (and not split!)

If this is so that two people can use each side, then the d-pad will probably only look like one, and function like normal face buttons. A lot of people aren't going to like that.

Doesn't the PS dpad still function as a hat switch rather than separate buttons? If I've just never noticed, then I don't see much of a problem for myself.

I said it in the last page, but I do wonder if it's going to be more like the DS4's D pad or maybe like the Wonder swan and the N64's C buttons
bandai_wonderswan-blue_1s.jpg

latest

That'll be the best for parity between the two controllers

The part that really doesn't work: the button layout would be rotated 180 degrees on the right-hand pad when detached, based on your mockup. So you don't get to mirror the orientation of the button colors relative to the sticks this way (without having the color orientation be the wrong way in at least one configuration).

They literally had a share button the Wii U. It was called Home

Split dpads are better for when the dpad is bound to multiple actions, cross dpads are better for character control.

RIP cross dpads.

Jaagen

32 GB for a handheld is inline with pretty much all other mobile offerings right now. I have zero problem with it.

Yeah. There are even 16GB iPhones out there.

I just hope it is fast storage. eMMC 5.0 or UFS. I don't want the system to be bottlenecked by storage.

MoonFrog

I like that. I'm assuming the grey nubs are the connectors which attach the controls into the screen portion?

The only issue with that is shoulder and trigger buttons... you'd probably need to have shoulder buttons on both ends of the controllers, and maybe one single trigger on the backside? Not sure how it could work, but it's a cool concept.
Well and the buttons on one side need to be flipped in colors as the sticks are offset. With colored/named buttons, and offset sticks the controllers aren't going to look the same. Either switch colors or one analog is on right, one on left.

Horrible news if true, if there's something I hate about Sony is their dpads. I just bought street fighter 5 and that game is almost unplayable with that pos of a pad. Ugh!
Holy hyperbole Batman.

Besides the fact that Street Fighter will always be better with an arcade stick I assure you SF is not anywhere near "unplayable" because of the PS4's motherfucking Dpad.

C'mon.

Ganondolf

split d-pad makes sense it the 2 controller parts (sides) can be used for 2 player use. it will match the 4 button layout.

from the picture I don't believe the anolog stick placements. if the above is true I don't see why the stick placements would be different on each side (especially as Nintendo's gamepad and pro controller does not have this setup.

It's probably been mentioned before but comparing it to the PS1/2/3/4 D-pad is misleading because the buttons are still connected as one mass that tilts. The N64 C-buttons that people keep bringing up would work completely independent from each other and are thus a better match for the rumor. But they would kinda suck for controlling a character in, say, Street Fighter. :( (Not that SF5 even has my interest)

Peterc

#TeamSplitDPad. As good as Nintendo's patented Dpad is the PS4 and Vita already did it better.

It's gonna be okay, guys.

I must be crazy when I choose sony's dpad. It's the worst one in history. I really dislike it allot. Snes still have the best dpad. Last dpads from Nintendo are to small. Who for sake plays a game like street fighter with buttons to move and do some special moves. It's not comfortable .

I understand why Nintendo wants it. But please let them use the patent where you can slide in your own inputs. That way you can make everyone happy.

spekkeh

Banned
The 3DS (from Nintendo) runs nearly everything from SD Cards, all digital purchases are stores in the SD Card and to upgrade you just copy-paste the contents to a new one.

Wii U SD slot was there for the Wii side of things, but it let you use any USB storage from day one.
Ah I did not know that. It makes the Wii U situation doubly baffling, but good to hear.

No, that was the Home button.
That's like saying the DualShock 4's PS-Button or Xbox One controller's Guide button was the share button.

I'm not sure you understand what the Share Button does. The WiiU's home button was much a share button as the PS3's PS button was (read: not at all).

Could you share stuff by pressing them? Because the Wii U home button allows you to boot up Miiverse and share screenshots, comments, etc. Yes it's less featured in terms of where you can share to, but it basically is the normal home button + share button

Eolz

People should really stop using circle pads in their mockups imo.

A single screen (unlike 3ds) and detachable controllers (like the nunchuck) can easily make us believe that it'll be analog sticks once again. Like the WiiU, the Vita...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, they definitely can't go with colors to distinguish the buttons. D-pad style directional arrows could work. This is a mock-up I posted a few weeks ago illustrating the concept.

FG6NxnH.jpg

The controllers being symmetrical is the only logical reason for a split D-Pad like that.

If the controllers detach for 2 players, logic would dictate they be symmetrical, i.e. buttons or D pad on both sides

Maybe it's a split D pad on both sides that act as buttons?

Imagine a joystick and a separated D on each side.
When attached, the left side functions as a diva pad, but the right D pad functions as buttons.

When detatched, each player has a joystick and 4 "face buttons" that are just a separated pad.

How would people feel if triangle, square, X, and O were just directions on an identical D pad on the right side of the controller?

Edit: my thoughts are unoriginal lol

MacTag

Banned
I generally dislike split dpads. Hopefully if this is true another controller option with a normal crosspad is sold separately. Same for the asymmetrical stick layout, with the add-on controls being modular it'd be great if we could pick and choose for our preferred layouts. I understand though why they'd go this way for the pack in facilitating dual breakaway controllers for two.

The 32GB doesn't bother me at all as I'll likely be sticking a 200GB+ microSD card in my NX immediately. That's the nice thing with non-proprietary storage, I get to decide size and cost. 32GB sounds very Nintendo-ish as it's supposedly the size of their largest retail card. Like how every 3DS now comes with a 4GB SD card installed.

Ganondolf

on my earlier post I said they stick placements does not make sense but looking at peoples mock-ups I'm now wondering if 2 people can play on the handheld (both controls attached) at the same time in a horizontal style.

nx_zpscs8l6w8r.jpg

Top Bottom