• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

DonShula

Gufw3sW.png

This is the new Indigo.

Their small size was more of an issue than the dpads themselves

Pretty much this. Despite being small, the mechanical tactile feeling is superb. I like it better than my Vita Slim's, to be honest.

XO d-pad is unrivaled for me, though. Fighting games on that are just a breeze. I haven't touched my custom-built Seimitsu stick in years.

EVH

Anyway, this is a nice feature, but with Nintendo it probably means hyper-compressed pics full of artifacts.

Yeah but those people touched the Playstation d-pad, not the Nintendo d-pad. I wouldn't assume the Nintendo d-pad to be the exact same d-pad as the Sony one.

If it ends up similar and people dislike it then it's too bad. But I'm sure Nintendo has their reasons. They're not gonna be like "Hey, let's add a split d-pad cause we want to make our controller worse, who cares about the last 30 years we used a normal d-pad!!!". I assume if they do end up going with it it may be because being split means you can use it as buttons as well as d-pad. The EG rumor did say the controller is detachable and can be used individually. But don't take my rambling as fact.

Either way, they're not gonna ditch the traditional d-pad I'd say. It will be there in one form or another, even if it's only on the Pro controller (or as part you can attach to the main controllers).
Fair enough point and well made, I withdraw my snark, apologies.

maxcriden

Right, we don't know yet, but why would they ever create a split D-pad just for the devkits?
I agree that wouldn't make sense. The only scenario otherwise I can imagine is that they have the split d-pad in the devkit intended for the final product but at some point after sending devkits decide they want a regular d-pad instead.

-

Did LPVG say whether those are supposed to be analog sticks, circle pads or something else in the drawing?

G.ZZZ

I'm not sure if you're joking of if we really reached the point where we estimate the size of the hardware based on a quick Paint mockup.

If someone were to depict a WiiU gamepad , it wouldn't for sure depict it like that. The huge bezels would be represented. What's depicted there is essentially a phone. If the one who depicted has actually seen the NX, that's what the NX is, a phone, in term of sizes and thermal constraint.

I wonder how popular 3rd party controller parts will be if they can be removed and swapped around somewhat. Watch as the monster hunter pad has 20 buttons.

ggx2ac

I agree that wouldn't make sense. The only scenario otherwise I can imagine is that they have the split d-pad in the devkit intended for the final product but at some point after sending devkits decide they want a regular d-pad instead.

What about the PSP-like device spotted at Foxconn? I know it sounds crazy to think it could be NX but, as soon as someone pointed it out. It made me think that's why the device was described like that.

Unless it's some Chinese Android Handheld.

Scrawnton

Guys. These are attachable controllers. They'll just release a separate add on that contains a cross d-pad for $20-$30 and laugh all the way to the bank.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't really matter to me. These days I hardly use the d-pad for anything other than selecting things. Even for 2D games I usually end up using the stick as d-pads tend to be in awkward positions since the sticks get prioritized since they're the main control method for 99% of games.

Davey Cakes

The thing is, as much as I love Nintendo's d-pads, I've been using them less and less over the years. Heck, especially on the GameCube the d-pad was worthless, except for weapon switching like in Metroid Prime.

I do like using a regular d-pad with a sideways Wiimote, as it's reminiscent of the NES controller. But to be honest, their d-pads on NES/SNES pretty much remain the best. Recent classic controllers aren't bad though.

On console, I used a control stick with Tropical Freeze for movement in 2D and it worked fine. It's always worked fine. See Smash Brothers. I guess the question remains: will the stick be like that on Wii U, or will it be a slide pad like on 3DS? Will it be some version of the left stick on New 3DS?

On handheld, really "clicky" d-pads have been a thing since the GBA SP. I would not be surprised if Nintendo realized that clicky pads are already close to having separate buttons for the directions, so going full split wouldn't be a big deal if it meant an interchangeable setup for the detachable controllers.

We're talking about a base unit here. Nintendo will likely provide other options and support legacy, BUT they want the NX itself, out of the box, to be a versatile device that can do as much as possible in order to streamline the player experience. I have confidence in their design sensibilities.

As for the share button, that seems like a natural extension of Miiverse. No surprises.

The M.O.B

I love how Emily Rogers is always there to say "yeah, heard about that last week. What? nah why would I tell you guys about it before. It's better to wait for it to come out and then pretend like I already knew."

This split D-Pad makes total sense if you consider the rumor that both controller pieces are detachable and act as 2 individual controllers for local multiplayer. The left piece has a joystick and a split d-pad that double as standard buttons when used as an individual controller, and the right piece has a joystick and 4 "standard" buttons.

Using a standard D-Pad as buttons for the left piece would be very weird and impractical. Having it split suddenly makes total sense.

Blobbers

WOW What a megaton. nintendo is finally copying sony's innovations.

I guess it's true what they say: eventually the innovator becomes the innovathief.

The more I think about it the less sense it makes to have two detachable controllers "for local multiplayer" with d-pads on them. Who wants to play Smash/Kart/Splatoon, basically anything but 2D Mario with just a d-pad? What third party is going to develop a game to accommodate this?

Seems superfluous.

AntMurda

I love how Emily Rogers is always there to say "yeah, heard about that last week. What? nah why would I tell you guys about it before. It's better to wait for it to come out and then pretend like I already knew."

I know Emily has a source or two, but I'm getting kind of suspicious about her jumping online immediately after a story is released to then say the exact same thing. It is kind of bizarre.

Yup. I also heard Zelda is coming to NX. Yes, Paper Mario is definitely coming to Wii U. My sources also confirm Smash Bros is coming to NX.

If someone were to depict a WiiU gamepad , it wouldn't for sure depict it like that. The huge bezels would be represented. What's depicted there is essentially a phone. If the one who depicted has actually seen the NX, that's what the NX is, a phone, in term of sizes and thermal constraint.

It's a cocktail napkin drawing showing off the split d-pad... I wouldn't read anything else into that drawing, except maybe that the right stick is lower than the left stick. Or pad.

I think it would make sense for all of the detachable controllers to be identical, and have them communicate with the handheld via IR ports when attached, such that the console knows the configuration you're currently using. This would let people pick the control scheme of their preference- have the sticks on the same level, have them like in the drawing, or have them on opposite levels from the drawing. If the abxy buttons are replaced by LED backlit buttons, the console can tell each button to turn a different color so that the button arrangement stays the same regardless of how you configure the controls. Then you have no more "press a," you just have "press green" or "press blue."

It sounds complicated but it might actually be a lot simpler in practice, and a fairly simple and attractive product.

I've got no idea how they're going to make this comfortable in all configurations (or even one by the looks of it). Like where are the goddamn triggers (or wheels, whatever) going to go? On the tops, which becomes the sides when detached and now you have no triggers on your detached controller? I mean they're not going to have triggers on the long and short sides of these are they? Wii Remote B trigger in NES position was bad enough!

I've got no idea how they're going to make this comfortable in all configurations (or even one by the looks of it). Like where are the goddamn triggers (or wheels, whatever) going to go? On the tops, which becomes the sides when detached and now you have no triggers on your detached controller? I mean they're not going to have triggers on the long and short sides of these are they? Wii Remote B trigger in NES position was bad enough!

Lol I kept thinking this. The triggers would be on the left for the left controller which could work if you keep your thumb on the analogue stick and use your middle finger to hit the trigger since it's close to it.

Or the triggers won't be at the top of the detachable controllers. They could put the lower on the controller and when your turn it on the side your fingers from both hands could hit them as they're more towards the middle of the controller.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
There is obviously going to be a share/social/miiverse access on the NX. Nintendo and Hatena are clearly working together on those features for this next hardware.

Lylo

Honestly, i don't care anymore, when Nintendo decide to show the damn thing they'll have my attention, but i'm done with rumours...

Arklite

Share button ey? Great addition considering how robust the Wii U's community features are. It's my favorite gimmick on the DS4.

Lol I kept thinking this. The triggers would be on the left for the left controller which could work if you keep your thumb on the analogue stick and use your middle finger to hit the trigger since it's close to it.

Or the triggers won't be at the top of the detachable controllers. They could put the lower on the controller and when your turn it on the side your fingers from both hands could hit them as they're more towards the middle of the controller.

Kinda like this then

NAMl7nRl.jpg

I talked with her about the topic of a split d-pad prior to these reports hitting. She's not jumping in on the action after the fact to claim credit.

I'm curious why information like that about devkits is coming out in small chunks like this, especially if you guys knew about it previously. Are journalists attempting to corroborate the reports a bit more before publishing them? I wonder what else they may know that hasn't yet been shared...

Top Bottom