• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Titanfall 2 has a "science meets magic" campaign; TV series in development

At least the sequel won't be online only. It's one thing to not have a SP campaign but there was literally no reason why the first one didn't have offline bots like other popular MP FPS's like Unreal Tournament and CS: GO.

Genio88

I like Titanfall, i'm really not into competitive multiplayer shooters, but even now after two years i still play it with my brother and friends from time to time on Xbox One, it's fast and easy to handle so even if i don't play constantly i can always be competitive and enjoy it.
I'm really curious to see what the seaquel will be.

Campaign = about fracking time. Not having a campaign in the first game was criminal.

The "science meets magic" part though = Huh? Guess we'll have to wait and see, but putting a campaign in regardless is great. Hopefully its a nice 8-10 hrs minimum, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Gemüsepizza;194462510 said:
Single player campaign? Nice. This bodes well for Battlefield 5 and Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Yay a 4 hours campaign nobody is going to touch after they played it because the focus is mainly MP.

I hope BF5 and Battlefront 2 dont have a campaign, People buy this games mostly for Multiplayer and not for a lackluster campaign.

I would love some kind of PvE modes, Horde etc. But Campaign? no thanks

Elitist1945

tumblr_nw2me8Foys1u5scsqo1_1280.jpg

I am in like Flynn.

legacyzero

Banned
This sounds kinda interesting. Love the first TF, but yeah, for a game as good as it was, it felt like it had such a lack of depth.

Sojourner

Neo Member
Yay a 4 hours campaign nobody is going to touch after they played it because the focus is mainly MP.

I hope BF5 and Battlefront 2 dont have a campaign, People buy this games mostly for Multiplayer and not for a lackluster campaign.

I really wish I could disagree with you because I love single player campaigns, but you're not wrong. Many developers have said as much over the years and it's not hard to see that most people don't play much more than the opening act of games when you look at the trophy rarity. When only 4% of players have a trophy for completing chapter 1 of some random game, I can't blame developers for not making a campaign despite a very loud fanbase refusing to buy their game for not including one. (Also, I made up my numbers here because I don't feel like looking up actual ones, but they aren't unrealistic.)

Still, I hope they do make a single player campaign, because I know I'll play it through.

Koutsoubas

Not just a campaign! BF2 needs to go big with different planets and space battles as well as space flight from one planet to another. Nothing crazy like No Man's Sky but a Grid of 4 planets and a good story connecting them, I believe will make it up to us for the current lack of SP cotnent.

Jito

Banned
Not sure what they are getting at talking about magic, never felt the slightest hint of magic or fantasy coming from Titanfall.

Thought they nailed the civil war / rebellion angle in the first game, please don't fuck it up by adding something stupid like magic into a solid scifi universe.

Nazo

They've definitely caught my interest with the new concept for the world. Sci-fi and Fantasy is a winning combination in my books.

Koutsoubas

Not sure what they are getting at talking about magic, never felt the slightest hint of magic or fantasy coming from Titanfall.

Thought they nailed the civil war / rebellion angle in the first game, please don't fuck it up by adding something stupid like magic into a solid scifi universe.

Its basically Destiny. You use magic for Melee attacks, magic grenades and a big magic Ultimate attack. I believe they will go for the same thing and maybe extend the magic attacks to our robots

Melchiah

Well, now I'm interested in the game as well, when there's SP campaign included.

“So we are doing our best to deliver a vision of grand global colonial warfare retelling the story of the American Revolution and the American Civil War in space. We imagined the next generation of immigrants moving out to the new frontier of an inhabitable planet. Rather than taking a traditional sci-fi approach to that we wanted to look at how that would happen practically, what the ships would look like and with machines that were designed for excavation and construction, demolition and working the land, and what happens when they are turned into instruments of war.

“What inspires us is the junction of technological advancement with the inevitability of conflict and war and what the next war might look like. In Titanfall 2 there will be a lot of [scenes] where science meets magic, but keeping it grounded and dirty and human and real.”

Those two parts kinda remind me of Killzone.

Bolivar687

Banned
I think a TV show could work on Sy Fy but it'd have too many comparisons to the Expanse, which is already building a great name for itself.

The Flash

Banned
"Science meets magic" makes me think they'll say something along the lines of "the Titans are imbued with the spirits of our ancestors".

Jito

Banned
Well it's just a hypothesis i dont have any sources inside Respawn, but that just seems rational to do. BTW I really liked Destiny I dont any harm in that

Yeh its fine destiny as it suits the world they created, while titanfall never showed a hint of anything magical. Seems odd to introduce magic into the game for a sequel is all.

Koutsoubas

Yeh its fine destiny as it suits the world they created, while titanfall never showed a hint of anything magical. Seems odd to introduce magic into the game for a sequel is all.

Well, since its only innovation except from Robots was the parkour/jet-pack theme, and as of then, weve seen 2 or 3 COD games doing EXACTLY that, they needed to find a way to diversify. Hence the whole magic approach.

Alienous

Titanfall uses Source as much as COD uses idTech. It's heavily modified.

Is it? The Call of Duty engine has had a decade or so of interation. As I recall Respawn's Source modifications didn't even include texture streaming.

Eh, I could see things like repelling bullets fitting under the 'science meets magic' category.

nahlakhai

Respawn did amazing things with TF the first time around with a small team. Can't wait to see what TF2 brings. TF came out when the XB1 population was still small and its greatness was limited to a niche amount of gamers.

Cynn

It depends on what you consider "hints". The game had dragons in it. The robot names were "Atlas" - "Ogre" and "Stryder". Perhaps though the actual "magic" elements are supposed to be totally alien to the universe. This race or power or whatever that shows up in the middle of their colonial war may be defined simply by being out of place and attractive to capitalize on. Like Hitler searching for the Spear of Destiny in the middle of a technology driven World War.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is the Titan fall universe at all able to support a TV show? It was a really fun game with great mechanics but the characters, world's and story were generic Sci fi dreck.

Not saying it couldn't evolve into something much more interesting but the foundation for such a thing as a TV show is weak at best.

golem

I could see them going sort of Avatarish with it, since there are already alien beasties in the game

atdgy9zb8vxwroqt2el2.png

s7qkk18axt3jos2y5zp3.png

boneyard4.jpg

As long as they get rid of Source I'll be happy though, the load times on X1 were atrocious

farisr

I hope none of their own money went into the tv series, because it feels like a waste of resources for something so obviously set to fail.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ugh, I'd rather not have a single player campaign in these types of games. Multiplayer focus should be where it's at imo.

jackdoe

I hope that the campaign for Titanfall 2 largely ignores the story of Titanfall. What I can remember was bad. The rest was completely forgettable or ignored (thanks to the fact that they delivered large chunks of exposition while you're focused on killing enemy players). I can see them pseudo rebooting the universe and giving this sequel a subtitle instead of calling it Titanfall 2 (to make it seem more appealing to PS4 only owners who will never get a chance to play the first title).

Alienous

Ugh, I'd rather not have a single player campaign in these types of games. Multiplayer focus should be where it's at imo.

I don't know how often a multiplayer focus ends up in a better multiplayer game. I imagine most publishers look at a multiplayer-only game as an opportunity to spend less, rather than spending a typical single-player + multiplayer budget on just a multiplayer component of a game.

Iscariot

I totally agree on the general principle. But I think if they looked at games that had fun AI like HalfLife, FEAR, and even Halo, you can get a fun replayable campaign out of 8-12 hours. I just think you need to not design around corridors, braindead ai, and set pieces. Basically the CoD school of single player is space cancer in my opinion.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
How many staff are left from MW1/2? I loved those campaigns, something along those lines in this universe sounds great.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
hearing that there's a SP campaign definitely puts this lower down my list of games to watch, i would be highly surprised if the MP component was as polished and got much post-release attention from the developers if that's the case.

I hope that the campaign for Titanfall 2 largely ignores the story of Titanfall. What I can remember was bad. The rest was completely forgettable or ignored (thanks to the fact that they delivered large chunks of exposition while you're focused on killing enemy players). I can see them pseudo rebooting the universe and giving this sequel a subtitle instead of calling it Titanfall 2 (to make it seem more appealing to PS4 only owners who will never get a chance to play the first title).

The story in Titanfall is completely fine. Good to great characterizations (especially the South-African dude and Spy-Glass) and some solid performances.
As you said though, the problem is that you literally can't fucking pay attention to any of it while you're trying to actively play the game.
I mean, I get what they were going for.... piecing the narrative together while replaying campaign maps.... but it just doesn't work and does the VA work a disservice.

Top Bottom