• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Titanfall 2 has a "science meets magic" campaign; TV series in development

Azubah

If it's science meets magic we'd better get somethign like this.
KyzKBzV.gif

antitrop

I hope they ditch that "Skynet has become self-aware" bullshit that the first game ended with. There are some interesting things about what they were trying to do with Titanfall 1's campaign, but man... it really fell off the rails after the first few missions. I didn't think the story was going to revolve around the AIs as much as it did.

It's not like anyone paid attention to that, anyway, I bet most people don't even know wtf I'm talking about. :p Respawn has a chance to ditch all that and start completely fresh and I think they should take it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
TV series would be so cool if done right.

They could co-produce with Epix (Lionsgate has co-ownership of the channel to boot) and international rights could be sold off.

antitrop

hearing that there's a SP campaign definitely puts this lower down my list of games to watch, i would be highly surprised if the MP component was as polished and got much post-release attention from the developers if that's the case.
Considering that Titanfall 1 was made in just about a year and a half, I don't think there's much reason for concern with how much time they have to make this sequel now. None of that Activision lawsuit drama getting in the way of development, this time.

I think they'll be able to deliver on both.

wipeout364

I thought it was a big misfire to not have a single player campaign in Titanfall 1. The Lore presented in the multiplayer was great and lays a incredible foundation for a single player campaign. I think this could be a great TV show but TV is so hit or miss with properties I will be guarded in my expectations of that aspect.

Anyway no surprise we are getting a sequel and to me that's great news and the single player campaign will hopefully be solid. Don't understand people who actively dislike single player campaigns in games with multiplayer. This is usually two teams doing these things the multi and the campaign teams. Really to me the only reason a AAA game doesn't have a campaign is the publisher and developer cheap out and want more money.

antitrop

I thought it was a big misfire to not have a single player campaign in Titanfall 1.
It was originally going to have one, there's even prototype footage of it in Geoff Keighley's "Final Hours of Titanfall". Had to get canned when Respawn asked EA for a delay, EA was going to cancel the game until Microsoft stepped in and put up the cash to keep it alive.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Zampella had to walk into Riccitello's office and tell him they were axing the campaign and needed more time. I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

Alx

Don't understand people who actively dislike single player campaigns in games with multiplayer. This is usually two teams doing these things the multi and the campaign teams. Really to me the only reason a AAA game doesn't have a campaign is the publisher and developer cheap out and want more money.

Or the studio is too small to handle both with the same level of involvement. As was the case with Respawn. One could think that with more money from the publisher they could have hired more people to handle a campaign, but I doubt managing a dev studio is as easy as throwing money at any new issue.

cakely

Destiny = science meets magic.

Not really. In the lore of Destiny the "magic" of light and darkness in Destiny is supposed to be super-high levels of technology. It's like Clarke's quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I'd be interested to see how Titanfall handles it.

border

It's funny to me that both Destiny and Titanfall have dragons in them, but they are essentially hidden from all but the people who dive deep into the games.

Trying to make a live-action Titanfall on television-budget sounds like a terrible idea. I can't think of a TV show that has ever had good CG animation. Even ignoring the CG mechs, all the acrobatics you'd need for on-foot combat would probably still end up being quite expensive. Has wall-running ever looked good in live action?

Koutsoubas

The only thing that makes sense to me is for TF 2 to utilize the Unreal Engine 4. And it would be a very wise decision.

iMax

Because it should not be connected to the original in a way that forces players who dont have the original to feel like they arent on a fresh foot

They keep referring to it as a "new experience in the Titanfall universe" and not a sequel, so you're probably not far from the truth.

D3VI0US

Hyped that it's coming, I agree that it's the best shooter this gen and I'm glad everyone will get to play it! Bummed out that it's probably a 2017 game but hopeful for a release this year. I think a campaign with Titanfall mechanics could be fucking badass, can't wait to see what they do given the pedigree of the studio. The magic stuff sounds weird and the TV series is a distraction, the universe isn't super interesting it's pretty boilerplate sci fi, I just hope it doesn't distract them and would rather they focus on just making the game. Titanfall is not Star Wars.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I hope the single player has coop.

I have no interest in the tv show. I just want a lot of content in the game itself.

So science meets magic as in "we have no idea how this shit would work but it's cool?"

I could see Titanfall as an anime working, I remember hearing that the Japanese loved the mech designs.

It was originally going to have one, there's even prototype footage of it in Geoff Keighley's "Final Hours of Titanfall". Had to get canned when Respawn asked EA for a delay, EA was going to cancel the game until Microsoft stepped in and put up the cash to keep it alive.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Zampella had to walk into Riccitello's office and tell him they were axing the campaign and needed more time. I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

Aaaand off to read this! :)

Because it should not be connected to the original in a way that forces players who dont have the original to feel like they arent on a fresh foot

I'm sorry but what? If you didn't play the original then you won't be on a fresh foot, and there's nothing wrong with that. People pick up game series midway through all the time. And titanfall 2 rolls off the tongue so well. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it's more science than magic, but that won't deter my interest in the game. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

All the Shadworun FPS mentions in the thread are too much for me. I loved that game.

My expectations were already super high with just a straight up sequel, but now I'm extremely curious about the change to Science + Magic. The sorta-dragon alien creatures in some of the maps were teases of something like this.

My expectations are sky-high.

Same

I think a TV show could work on Sy Fy but it'd have too many comparisons to the Expanse, which is already building a great name for itself.

Why? Other than it being scifi (which everything on that channel is supposed to be), what does Titanfall have in common with The Expanse?

J-Rzez

Damn, that's disappointing to hear they wasted assets on a SP campaign when it could have went into more MP stuff. Who am I kidding, it would have just went into advertising.

Titanfall uses Source as much as COD uses idTech. It's heavily modified.

That's disingenuous. Call of Duty has been iterating on iDTech for clost to 15 years at this point. Activision probably has 20 times as many man hours modifying their engine than ReSpawn has modifying Source.

They can just use frostbite

Frostbite is for internal use only at EA. They don't licence it out to anyone, even for games they are publishing.

I genuinely don't think Tintanfall suffered because it had no campaign. I think that one of the problems was that at launch there was no purely human v human PvP mode. There was always AI in there. I didn't mind that but lots of MP gamers did not like it.

The second issue was that there wasn't all that much to master. You could get good quite quickly and then there wasn't much else to do. Weapon variety wasn't great.

In terms of movement and gunplay though TF was absolutely the best thing there has been.

Titanfall is probably my favourite FPS so I can't wait for this.

I'm fine with a SP campaign. If it helps players who are more single player orientated to play this and then move into MP, then it's all good.

I just hope they don't introduce killstreaks. One of the refreshing things about TF was it was just you and your titan. You didn't have to worry about nukes, drones etc.

Acidote

I genuinely don't think Tintanfall suffered because it had no campaign. I think that one of the problems was that at launch there was no purely human v human PvP mode. There was always AI in there. I didn't mind that but lots of MP gamers did not like it.

I agree with this. The game needed the Pilot vs Pilot mode so much. No grunts is the best thing ever.

The second issue was that there wasn't all that much to master. You could get good quite quickly and then there wasn't much else to do.

I disagree with this. You could get competent quickly, but to really shine you had to master both the gunplay and the movement. That's where you really saw the difference between players. And you saw that on PC because unfortunately the population count dipped quickly and you always saw the same nameplates.

Alx

You want to keep paying $60 for a MP only games? No? I thought not.

There's nothing wrong with that... I paid full price for Titanfall and all its maps, and don't regret it a second, I spent much more time and had much more fun with it than with any other similar priced game. Well worth the money.

El_Chino

There's nothing wrong with that... I paid full price for Titanfall and all its maps, and don't regret it a second, I spent much more time and had much more fun with it than with any other similar priced game. Well worth the money.
I did the same and while I enjoyed the game greatly, I still felt the game lacked content for a $60 game. So I'm all for a proper campaign.

ArjanN

Not really. In the lore of Destiny the "magic" of light and darkness in Destiny is supposed to be super-high levels of technology. It's like Clarke's quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I'd be interested to see how Titanfall handles it.

While they could go that route what I assumed from the science meets magic phrase was more something along the lines of mech dudes VS a straight up magical faction.

Nere

Why do they have to shove magic in the universe? It was fine as it is. Still interested for the game though.

Top Bottom