• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD |OT| I'm Rebecca! Let's do our best!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Got OHKOed by a frog on my no-save speedrun.

:(

Where does this keep happening to people? I have played thru it 3 times since the original release and never once was killed by the frog. I have only ever seen him on the outside of the dam and I just ran straight for the door every time.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Where does this keep happening to people? I have played thru it 3 times since the original release and never once was killed by the frog. I have only ever seen him on the outside of the dam and I just ran straight for the door every time.

It can appear after you get the access card with the forklift and on the way to the forklift after you get the battery. All the one shots were on Rebecca, i never had it happen to Billy.

Man normal on RE0 does NOT fuck around...

I've died a variety of times, and just now got the clock puzzle solved to do 8:15 with both rooms now open.

Both Billy and Rebecca are in Danger mode... so 1 bop and I'm done.

To make it worse I know 1 hallway I would have to avoid those long reach arm guys who only seem to die to fire.

And the top floor I attempted had like 4+ zombies in a room.

; ; feels bad man. I don't want to waste molitovs on either, but I'll have to I guess.

Orin GA

I've only ever had them bite me, didn't even know they had a OHKO.

Trying to run past them and save ammo is usually what gets people into that situation. It will usually go away if you start firing , even when you miss, Im still not sure if it can swallow Billy though. If thats the case its probably safer to stay in control of Billy just incase someone gets grabbed.

demigod

I've seen him spawn at the dam, at one of the catwalk, and at the spot where you meet billy after he gets sucked by the whirlpool. He's pulled me in a couple times with Billy but never eaten me before on normal.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The Frog is one of the weirdest enemies in the whole series for me. I have played Zero four times now, and it never appears in the same places for me; it just sort of randomly appears in different rooms, and I think I have confirmed it's randomized at this point for when and where it appears. I kept on dying to the first phase of the final boss in Zero HD recently on hard, I went across the dam to get the green herbs there I had left something like 5-6 times, and only on the 6th time doing it after dying and restarting did the frog appear there. I've never actually died to it; the second weirdest thing about the enemy is that it tracks motion. In my first couple times encountering it, it would leap out of some body of water, stare at me, I would freeze, we would stare each other down, then it would just hop on back into the water. In the HD version I actually got grabbed for the first time, but I just mashed buttons as it tried to drag me in with its tongue and managed to break free before it consumed me, which is a one-hit kill. But it's pretty easily avoidable if you either stop or mash with a bit of distance... But the weird random element of it (it can actually appear in a number of rooms I've found out over time), the weird watching you thing, and how it appears and all.

It also changed appearance a lot between the HD version and the original version of zero. It also changed appearance a lot since the beta of Zero it seems; in an old Zero ad in a magazine I have, the frog appears in one of the screenshots, but it looks COMPLETELY different in it.

Found the ad! I have the magazine somewhere, but you can slightly see what I'm talking about in the bottom screenshot. The frog in the screen looks more like a Rain Forest Frog in the screen.

re0ad.jpg

Do you get any unlockables for beating Wesker Mode? I beat the game on Hard with a time of 3:01:23, and collected 100 leeches in Leech Hunter mode, so have I unlocked everything?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What's weird is that the dogs only appeared in the train twice (right after meeting Billy and in the kitchen) then never appeared again. Could have used it more though like the leech zombies.

Dusk Golem

Do you get any unlockables for beating Wesker Mode? I beat the game on Hard with a time of 3:01:23, and collected 100 leeches in Leech Hunter mode, so have I unlocked everything?

You unlock the Rebecca (and I believe Wesker for Billy) outfits for the main campaign outside of Wesker Mode. Outside of that, only for enjoyment/achievements, beating it will get you the achievement for beating Wesker Mode, but also needed to get the costume achievement.

What's weird is that the dogs only appeared in the train twice (right after meeting Billy and in the kitchen) then never appeared again. Could have used it more though like the leech zombies.

This is a general oddity in Zero alone, the enemy count is actually surprisingly low. There's like, four dogs in-between two rooms, 5 spiders in-between two rooms, six Hunters in between three rooms, the player will probably only encounter one of the frog enemy, maybe two.... Stuff like that. A lot of the enemies are used surprisingly sparsely.

You unlock the Rebecca (and I believe Wesker for Billy) outfits for the main campaign outside of Wesker Mode. Outside of that, only for enjoyment/achievements, beating it will get you the achievement for beating Wesker Mode, but also needed to get the costume achievement.

This is a general oddity in Zero alone, the enemy count is actually surprisingly low. There's like, four dogs in-between two rooms, 5 spiders in-between two rooms, six Hunters in between three rooms, the player will probably only encounter one of the frog enemy, maybe two.... Stuff like that. A lot of the enemies are used surprisingly sparsely.

It's just so very infuriating that the enemies that DO appear are in the most fucking annoying areas and clusters.

News Bot

Banned

Not really anywhere for them to appear. The places you visit after the train are abandoned buildings and the dogs were from the Spencer Mansion, so just roaming the forest. The train leaves the area where they are.

Trying to run past them and save ammo is usually what gets people into that situation. It will usually go away if you start firing , even when you miss, Im still not sure if it can swallow Billy though. If thats the case its probably safer to stay in control of Billy just incase someone gets grabbed.
I was playing Billy. It appeared on the dam just after Rebecca drained it and he ate Billy, and it always appeared there in every Zero playthrough I've ever done. It was pretty fucking funny. I never had a character die by frog when playing Zero on GC, so this is the first time it's ever happened to me.

I think the character will automatically free themselves if you have the knife equipped, but I've never tried that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This game is harder than REmake. I'm still in the mansion and having trouble. I can't seem to let regular enemies sit without them making constant trouble for me, so it's a lose/lose situation between letting them nibble at me or wasting all of my ammo on generic enemies. Hardest RE game?

Anung

Un Rama
It can appear after you get the access card with the forklift and on the way to the forklift after you get the battery. All the one shots were on Rebecca, i never had it happen to Billy.

My Billy has been grabbed a few times but I just mashed until it let go then it usually ran away.

SkylineRKR

I encountered 2 frogs. One on the way to the bridge when it was still flooded, I killed it. Wouldn't reappear when I opened the floodgate. The other was beyond that place but he left.

There is no reason for storage chests not to be there. As there are still dedicated save rooms which are always placed before something challenging and are filled with ammo and health too. Those rooms could easily have a storage chest, it would only remove the dumb backtracking for weapons.

Hagi

Man normal on RE0 does NOT fuck around...

I've died a variety of times, and just now got the clock puzzle solved to do 8:15 with both rooms now open.

Both Billy and Rebecca are in Danger mode... so 1 bop and I'm done.

To make it worse I know 1 hallway I would have to avoid those long reach arm guys who only seem to die to fire.

And the top floor I attempted had like 4+ zombies in a room.

; ; feels bad man. I don't want to waste molitovs on either, but I'll have to I guess.

lol I'm in the exact situation as you and keep dying to fucking leech zombies. The only green herb I know of is in the bathroom and staright after you get it a leech zombie appears so it isn't even worth getting it but at the same time after you leave the room with the projector a leech zombie appears! Rebecca and Billy are both in the danger zone so one or two hits and they are dead....

The Frog is one of the weirdest enemies in the whole series for me. I have played Zero four times now, and it never appears in the same places for me; it just sort of randomly appears in different rooms, and I think I have confirmed it's randomized at this point for when and where it appears. I kept on dying to the first phase of the final boss in Zero HD recently on hard, I went across the dam to get the green herbs there I had left something like 5-6 times, and only on the 6th time doing it after dying and restarting did the frog appear there. I've never actually died to it; the second weirdest thing about the enemy is that it tracks motion. In my first couple times encountering it, it would leap out of some body of water, stare at me, I would freeze, we would stare each other down, then it would just hop on back into the water. In the HD version I actually got grabbed for the first time, but I just mashed buttons as it tried to drag me in with its tongue and managed to break free before it consumed me, which is a one-hit kill. But it's pretty easily avoidable if you either stop or mash with a bit of distance... But the weird random element of it (it can actually appear in a number of rooms I've found out over time), the weird watching you thing, and how it appears and all.

It also changed appearance a lot between the HD version and the original version of zero. It also changed appearance a lot since the beta of Zero it seems; in an old Zero ad in a magazine I have, the frog appears in one of the screenshots, but it looks COMPLETELY different in it.

Found the ad! I have the magazine somewhere, but you can slightly see what I'm talking about in the bottom screenshot. The frog in the screen looks more like a Rain Forest Frog in the screen.

re0ad.jpg

So strange! it appeared two times yesterday for me: At the dam and beside the forklift. The forklift appearance killed me and I had to backtrack a ton from an older save. So annoying!

Kazuhira

This game is harder than REmake. I'm still in the mansion and having trouble. I can't seem to let regular enemies sit without them making constant trouble for me, so it's a lose/lose situation between letting them nibble at me or wasting all of my ammo on generic enemies. Hardest RE game?

I consider it the hardest old school RE,that's why i love it.
Also,billy&rebecca are my fave team along with leon&claire.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
lol I'm in the exact situation as you and keep dying to fucking leech zombies. The only green herb I know of is in the bathroom and staright after you get it a leech zombie appears so it isn't even worth getting it but at the same time after you leave the room with the projector a leech zombie appears! Rebecca and Billy are both in the danger zone so one or two hits and they are dead....

There's only a few leech zombies in the entire game that you should kill. Most (if not all) in the training facility should be ran past. If you get out of the room/corridor before they fully transform, then their transformation animation resets the next time you enter the room, giving you around 5-6 free seconds to get past them every time.

In the training facility, if you see/hear one when entering a room, IMMEDIATELY check your map to see which doors in this corridor are unlocked and run straight to it. If in doubt, turn around and head back the way you came and try again. This is a particularly important strategy when you unlock
the water door (which is in the grenade launcher room).

I found health hard to find early on, but as this is my first time playing RE0 I initially did try to wipe out the early leech zombies. Best to run by them all.

The monkeys end up a bigger PITA as they're really fast.

Stand with your back to the wall with a shotgun and wait for them to come to you.

Audioboxer

I found health hard to find early on, but as this is my first time playing RE0 I initially did try to wipe out the early leech zombies. Best to run by them all.

The monkeys end up a bigger PITA as they're really fast.

Completed the game last night on normal. Took me 8 hours (pathetic, I know...LOL), but I was soaking up the scenery and didn't really care about my end-game ranking.

Boss battles were fun. The
Bat
wasn't really as difficult as some stated. You just have to wait for it to swope down at you if you're using a grenade launcher for a guaranteed hit. I downed it with 3 grenade shots and several shotgun shells.

Leech men
added a fun element to the mechanics. They're pretty avoidable during the first half of the game, except for one hallway, but you'll definitely need to take care of them in the end-game areas.

Was lugging around the hookshot in Rebecca's inventory while exploring the facility - what a waste of two spaces...lol. FYI for those who wish to save themselves from the same mistake, you don't need it until you have completely cleared the facility's basement and collected something past a locked blue door

Not a bad game at all - a solid entry for RE. Looking forward to starting Leech Mode.

Dusk Golem

So strange! it appeared two times yesterday for me: At the dam and beside the forklift. The forklift appearance killed me and I had to backtrack a ton from an older save. So annoying!

The Forklift room is where I first encountered the frog in my first playthrough, gave me a good scare. XD The rooms I know the frog can possible pop up in from my experience;

-The Room where you save Billy (with all the skeletons in it)
-The Forklift room (where you need to use the battery)
-The Dam (that you can cross, this seems to be where it's most likely to appear)
-The sort of empty hallway room that connects to the Gondola room

I don't know what its chance of appearance is, but I know in play playthrough of Zero HD, which was my fourth playthrough of Zero overall, I actually almost didn't encounter it at all. It only appeared on the Dam wall when I had been dying to the final boss on Hard, and would go over the Dam to go to the other side to pick up herbs I had left there, and I probably died 5-6 times, but the frog didn't appear until the last time I went before my successful run and managed to use its tongue on me as I tried to run past.

I'll also say the Lurker is one of the more effective jump scare tactics partially because it's random, and some of the rooms it appears in can be startling. The worst I think are the Forklift Rooms and the path to the Gondola (Gondola room is really quiet and when it appears, it makes a loud noise and the angle is devious).

...Actually, in general, there's a few more effective jump scares in Zero than I remembered. I recall the Freezer Zombie, Leechmen, the first appearance of the giant ticks, one misc zombie scene, and the Lurkers managing to startle me.

Completed the game last night on normal. Took me 8 hours (pathetic, I know...LOL), but I was soaking up the scenery and didn't really care about my end-game ranking.

Boss battles were fun. The
Bat
wasn't really as difficult as some stated. You just have to wait for it to swope down at you if you're using a grenade launcher for a guaranteed hit. I downed it with 3 grenade shots and several shotgun shells.

Leech men
added a fun element to the mechanics. They're pretty avoidable during the first half of the game, except for one hallway, but you'll definitely need to take care of them in the end-game areas.

Was lugging around the hookshot in Rebecca's inventory while exploring the facility - what a waste of two spaces...lol. FYI for those who wish to save themselves from the same mistake, you don't need it until you have completely cleared the facility's basement and collected something past a locked blue door

Not a bad game at all - a solid entry for RE. Looking forward to starting Leech Mode.

Don't feel pathetic on the time, I enjoy taking my time in Resident Evil games as opposed to rushing through. I also will never understand people's loathing of the bosses; they aren't great but I literally have never had any trouble with any of them. The first
scorpion
is quite easy to stun by shooting its head when it attacks and it choreographs its attacks ahead of time. The
centipede
is silly, but they give you a grenade launcher right before the boss fight and even on hard mode, killing all the zombies before meeting the boss in the training facility (but skipping killing any zombies on the train derailment rushing segment or in the room where the train crashes), I have enough ammo to defeat the thing. Though the boss is a silly one. The
bat
I have never had any real difficulty with, but I also suspect many people don't realize shooting the smaller
bats
delivers damage to the big bat. I've killed the boss by landing a final blow on the
smaller bats
before. And I actually like the last few bosses in the game, I think the two fights with the
Proto-Tyrant
are pretty fine boss battles, it might have a sort of long hitbox on its attacks, but I've enjoyed those fights,
plus the new creepy model for it in the HD Remaster and the more noticeable subtle twitches are creepy to me
. And I've always thought the final boss and its two phases were pretty decent.

h0tp0ck3t

My Billy has been grabbed a few times but I just mashed until it let go then it usually ran away.

I got grabbed right as Billy was about to climb the ladder to get off the dam. The fucking thing pulled me all the way across and no amount of button mashing freed me (Was at yellow caution so maybe that's why I know the Gamma Hunters in RE3 were a one hit KO at yellow)

Next time around he took a magnum round to the face

5olid_5nake

So I have this problem, and I was hoping Gaf would come to the rescue.

I bought this game last night, downloaded it and everything went fine. Started the game, getting the rock solid 30 fps at 1080p with textures and shadows on High.
AA set to off.

I am very satisfied because I have a very old laptop. BUT this strange thing occurred that, after maybe 10 minutes of playing, fps spiked down to a halt (8 fps constantly) no matter if there are enemies around or just an empty space.

I tried lowering the graphical settings but to no avail. Then I exited the game, booted it up again and everything was fine! 1080p-High-30 fps.

Laptop is Acer Aspire V3-571G and the following specs are

nvidia GT 730M 1GB
6 GB ram
i5-3230M

Before someone suggests, yes, I have the latest nvidia drivers and I have selected it to be my main graphics processor.

Has anyone encountered the similar problem? Same thing is happening with the Resident Evil HD remake :/.

Spiegel

So I have this problem, and I was hoping Gaf would come to the rescue.

I bought this game last night, downloaded it and everything went fine. Started the game, getting the rock solid 30 fps at 1080p with textures and shadows on High.
AA set to off.

I am very satisfied because I have a very old laptop. BUT this strange thing occurred that, after maybe 10 minutes of playing, fps spiked down to a halt (8 fps constantly) no matter if there are enemies around or just an empty space.

I tried lowering the graphical settings but to no avail. Then I exited the game, booted it up again and everything was fine! 1080p-High-30 fps.

Laptop is Acer Aspire V3-571G and the following specs are

nvidia GT 730M 1GB
6 GB ram
i5-3230M

Before someone suggests, yes, I have the latest nvidia drivers and I have selected it to be my main graphics processor.

Has anyone encountered the similar problem? Same thing is happening with the Resident Evil HD remake :/.

Is the laptop well ventilated? Maybe it's getting too hot

lazyguy

It's been interesting going trough this game again after five years. It was my first RE game and I really liked it but now...not so much anymore. I agree with the usual complaints. Also the easy mode in this game wasn't in the original one was it? I got trough the game only healing myself three times and killed everything with the shotgun. I wished I didn't take the easy difficulty. Oh could someone that a screencap of Zero's splash-screen when you boot up the game on PS4 or Xbox One. I would really appreciate it.

braves01

Banned
I think I've played enough of Wesker mode at this point to conclude that it kinda sucks. It's more of a costume than a mode, tbh, as the game plays pretty much the same, except that zombies are free kills. Maybe if you're speed running the dash could be cool, but as a normal player I never used it. I think even a basic arrange mode that swapped item and enemy locations would've been more of a new mode than Wesker.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think I've played enough of Wesker mode at this point to conclude that it kinda sucks. It's more of a costume than a mode, tbh, as the game plays pretty much the same, except that zombies are free kills. Maybe if you're speed running the dash could be cool, but as a normal player I never used it. I think even a basic arrange mode that swapped item and enemy locations would've been more of a new mode than Wesker.

Agreed. Wesker is a gimmick and they didn't even change the lines. It's not even much of a fan service thing. It's just "why?"

Bergerac

As far as can tell with the frogs - their appearances are tied to which code you get in the conference room, 0A or 2D. The campaign is similar to Leech Hunter in that it has two ot three general variants for frogs (i.e. 2D campaign you're more likely to see the frog at the forklift).

Furthermore they're more likely to jump if you're travelling with both characters. A OHK is, similar to Hunters, much more likely on yellow caution.

Best thing to do is lead with Billy, turn when it jumps between you, aim down and OHK it with a Magnum round (though I have seen them take two).

Haunted

Here's a vid of me abusing the item drop/pickup mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq5OR-wuiHc&feature=youtu.be

That area of the room seems to be the best place to do it. Other places will sometimes have the item drop a few feet away from you.
I know RE hitboxes are garbage and this works because of copious amounts of iframes, but I love that the dodging actually looks completely natural and accurate here, with Rebecca ducking under his attacks. :D

Mr_Zombie

Hm, surprised this oversight wasn't caught back when it was first developed. Then again, I hear people say RE0 is one of the more unpolished entries in the series.

I don't think it's due to the game being unpolished since other RE games also have this invincible frames. Imagine the frustration if you could be hurt, and the animation would reset, if you would be in the middle of the fight and could not pick up ammo or a health item that is lying around if the game would prioritize enemies attacking you over you picking up an item.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hm, surprised this oversight wasn't caught back when it was first developed. Then again, I hear people say RE0 is one of the more unpolished entries in the series.

It's not really an "exploit" it's how the other games in the series do their drops as well. I guess to prevent "Danger" status pick-ups in a speedrun from being killed.

Orin GA

Starting Hard Mode, this should be fun.

Out of the Train: Was able to save shotgun shells by knifing the scorpion.

885C6397E607D733BA9DCBE05AC88AE36BA2D8A2

Centipede Down, used all Grenade Ammo:

424996458B1BE5E963C644C6B2BCC6D9444120F7

Afro

First time playing and the game seems pretty overlooked/underrated so far. I'm not the biggest RE enthusiast (never played RE2), but both the train and mansion have been a blast to explore. I don't quite get the "unmemorable" comments. My opinion may be a bit skewed b/c pre-rendered backdrops in RE games are pretty much my favorite thing ever, so that may be influencing my enjoyment. Atmosphere is top notch, classic RE. I'm excited every time I open a new door b/c each and every room is so gorgeous and interesting to explore. So much detail.

The gameplay itself is okay. Boss battles have been pretty lame. Also wish I just didn't have to deal with forced co-op, but I'm not too bothered by that or the inventory system. I like feeling alone is RE games, though. Not into math puzzles I have to look up, either. I do enjoy the classic RE 'figure out where to use this item' thing. I do get why the game isn't on the level of REmake (
no Lisa's cabin
).

I just got to the
church
and I'm supposedly only halfway through..? Steam says I have ~15 hrs clocked (a few hours idling, I assume). I know, I'm the anti-speed-runner.

Cannot wait for RE2 Remaster and the RE4 HD texture project.

Mr_Zombie

I finally had time to play some more this weekend. I reached the church, died few times
at the bat boss
(I came completely unprepared, with Billy being in Caution state and having no healing items at all) and then quit. Thankfully I saved the game when I was about to move forward from the mansion.

Overall, it's a better game than I remembered when I played it for the first time few years ago. It's still weaker than REmake, but it's not really bad. My main gripes thus far:
- enemies are really weak design and gameplay wise;

- bosses are bad: they all come out of nowhere, without any proper introduction or tension, all (thus far) are just giant animals and all have boring battles. You can easily kill the scorpion without even being touched once; the centipede just roams around the room, ignoring you completely (at least in my game *I* chased it to save Rebecca), and somehow Billy can get hurt just by touching it; and the bat just flies around the church and the only difficult thing in this battle is to target at the damn thing. Those were the most uninspired boss battles in the entire series.

- it seems the interaction area with items is smaller in this game than usual; very often I stood right in front of an item and the character still ignored it or preferred to comment on the environment; I don't remember having problems with picking items in any other classic RE game. It's especially annoying when the room is filled with enemies and you just wanted to get in, grab an item and get out.

pa22word

Is it recommended to keep the hookshot in someone's inventory at all times?

Also, I am kinda scared of even trying AI in attack mode. Seems to me like a recipe for disaster with much wasted ammo in my future...

Markitron

Is it recommended to keep the hookshot in someone's inventory at all times?

Also, I am kinda scared of even trying AI in attack mode. Seems to me like a recipe for disaster with much wasted ammo in my future...

No do NOT keep the hookshot on your at all times IIRC you only need it 4 times in total, once in the train and 3 times in the area after the training facility. Leave it in the main hall and go back for it when you need it.

As long as you don't equip them with any good weapons there's no harm leaving them on attack mode. Just give the AI a handgun and it will be fine, they are fairly accurate. Most people just leave the AI partner in one place though.

Since the original thread (REmake) is dead: What's the best way to do a speedrun in remake? Never did it before but I want all trophies and unlockables. Do you have to play on hard? Or is it normal? I don't know, the highest difficulty before you finish the game once.
Jill or Chris? Jill, right?
The problem is that you can't stop the timer. I was thinking about watching a youtube speedrun or reading a FAQ while playing but that's pretty much impossible. I just can't remember all the item combinations (keep items, leave them in the box, pick up this weapon, leave the other weapon, etc etc).

Any tips?

Top Bottom