• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD |OT| I'm Rebecca! Let's do our best!

Sectus

Since the original thread (REmake) is dead: What's the best way to do a speedrun in remake? Never did it before but I want all trophies and unlockables. Do you have to play on hard? Or is it normal? I don't know, the highest difficulty before you finish the game once.
Jill or Chris? Jill, right?
The problem is that you can't stop the timer. I was thinking about watching a youtube speedrun or reading a FAQ while playing but that's pretty much impossible. I just can't remember all the item combinations (keep items, leave them in the box, pick up this weapon, leave the other weapon, etc etc).

Any tips?

You can do it on any difficulty and it'll still count. Once you've played the game enough to have a rough idea where to go at any time, you can make it stupidly easy by playing on very easy difficulty.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Since the original thread (REmake) is dead: What's the best way to do a speedrun in remake? Never did it before but I want all trophies and unlockables. Do you have to play on hard? Or is it normal? I don't know, the highest difficulty before you finish the game once.
Jill or Chris? Jill, right?
The problem is that you can't stop the timer. I was thinking about watching a youtube speedrun or reading a FAQ while playing but that's pretty much impossible. I just can't remember all the item combinations (keep items, leave them in the box, pick up this weapon, leave the other weapon, etc etc).

Any tips?

This will probably help

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/4938828-post10.html

Haunted

Final Inventory

C70EFCE2F6F67DB701555E5EBABF19CB5C94E24E

And Done....

CDC556952E8EE216BA5B43212378B91C4BB362C8
Professionally done, good job.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Also, I am kinda scared of even trying AI in attack mode. Seems to me like a recipe for disaster with much wasted ammo in my future...

Leaving Rebecca in attack mode is fine since she only attacks when you attack or get grabbed by a monster. DON'T leave Billy in attack since he will attack everything always, regardless of what you do.

Rizzi

It's not just that. I finished it.
Thoughts. Not enough healing items for how fragile Rebecca is. The two character stuff feels forced, I don't want to manage two inventories. Dropping/picking up items is annoyingly fiddly. Just pick up the damned ink ribbons already, you're standing right on top of them aargh.
The
monkeys/hunters are frustrating to fight. Love getting stunlocked the instant I enter a room.
I got eaten by a god damned frog while AI Rebecca just stood there that was fun.

REmake is a far superior game.

It's not though? And there are plenty of tips in its OT.

Really? Wow, I couldn't find it. Thanks.

And apparently you have to beat the game under five hours on normal (not easy). Well this shouldn't be impossible for me. The real challenge is to not get hit by zombies/ dogs/ crimson heads if you run past them. I always fail at evading zombies :/

braves01

Banned
Really? Wow, I couldn't find it. Thanks.

And apparently you have to beat the game under five hours on normal (not easy). Well this shouldn't be impossible for me. The real challenge is to not get hit by zombies/ dogs/ crimson heads if you run past them. I always fail at evading zombies :/

If you're just gunning for the under 3 hours trophy, you can play on very easy. I'd use Jill since she has more item slots and can get Barrys magnum at the end for tyrant which makes for one less thing to hunt out or carry around until the end. Search on YouTube for speed runs by a user named carcinogen for good tips.

If you're just gunning for the under 3 hours trophy, you can play on very easy. I'd use Jill since she has more item slots and can get Barrys magnum at the end for tyrant which makes for one less thing to hunt out or carry around until the end. Search on YouTube for speed runs by a user named carcinogen for good tips.

Thanks for the help! I'm going to try this.
I want the Samurai Edge though :(

Go for one of the bad endings. You won't have to fight the final boss, or pick up three extra items.

Yeah that's true. This fucking puzzle though ....where you have
the five or six puzzle pieces to open the box
.....it takes forever, lol.

Well, this walkthrough made a mistake

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/4938828-post10.html

Pass Richard to the DARK ROOM (retrieve SERUM from MEDICAL ROOM to save him if playing as Chris; optional if playing as Jill); get MUSIC NOTES

It's not possible without saving Richard. I started a test run with Jill and I can't get past the door because "I should get the serum"

Shit.

Also, the item mangement doesn't work. The walkthrough doesn't tell me what to drop and when. My inventory is already full, lol.

joe2187

Banned
Alright finally sat down to beat this game.

Got a B rank since I was taking my time. I love these types of games, so much tense atmosphere and beautiful dank ass environments.

Now on to the speedruns.

Neiteio

^^^ I agree, the plants look amazing in motion.

Well, I started playing this, even though I still need to finish REmake. (I'm currently in the end-game.)

I just wanted to see what Zero is like. And contrary to the mixed opinions here, it seems pretty fun! Yeah, it's simpler and less engrossing than REmake (at least so far), but it's perfectly enjoyable in its own way. While I'm playing REmake on the highest default difficulty, I'm playing Zero on "Normal" since I hear the inventory management and lack of item boxes gets tough later on, and I mainly want to experience the story and see the cool locations.

Speaking of which, I've been taking pictures. Here are a few favorite areas:

residenteviloriginscodessy.png

residenteviloriginscos9sy3.png

residenteviloriginscoi0scg.png

residenteviloriginscoz7smk.png

residenteviloriginscoyhsj4.png

And here's the startup screen for the Origins collection, if anyone would like a nice 1080p wallpaper:

residenteviloriginscouzsnz.png

lazyguy

Damn, you just posted the screencap I already own. I would love for someone to take just Zero's splash screen. Anyway that last section of the game feels like a mess and has a confusing layout. And even though I didn't get into frog related problems I just remembered that I kept dying when I played it originally.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Billy looks so out of place in that splash screen. Rebecca, Jill, and Chris are all pointing their guns at the zombies while Billy is just walking into the scene nonchalantly, like he just left the bathroom and is still thinking about the dump he took.

Afro

I'd be totally content if all future survival horror games used RE-style pre-rendered backdrops for the rest of eternity. I'm in love with these visuals. They just ooze atmosphere more than any other graphic style, period. They're stunning. Completely overlooked and not praised enough.

Jinjo

Finished the remaster just a few days ago and I remembered this game being better than it actually is lol. I played this when I just got really into the series (second RE game I ever played), so that might have something to do with it. There should have been more parts where you are forced to split up like in the church, such a missed opportunity. 90% of the time you're together and you just blast everything before it can touch you.

Anyway, ready for the Resident Evil 2 remake, I barely remember anything of that game anymore it's been so long since I played it.

Jinjo

Should I play RE 1 or RE 0 first?

Resident Evil 1 first. Zero assumes you played the first game first so it ruins one of the bigger plottwists of the first game. So if you never played it, RE 1 first for sure.

It's also the better game.

CryptiK

Resident Evil 1 first. Zero assumes you played the first game first so it ruins one of the bigger plottwists of the first game. So if you never played it, RE 1 first for sure.

It's also the better game.
Is the spoiler
Wesker
?

Mr_Zombie

Didn't enjoy all the puzzles but overall fun game.

Speaking of puzzles, up until now (
bat boss fight
) I haven't encountered any offensive one (not counting those where characters could achieve something using nearby objects or just human abilities instead of using game logic). They are all enjoyable and clever; well, maybe besides the chess one - I expected something more challenging from it.

Is the spoiler
Wesker
?

Yes.
RE0 also assumes that you know who Birkin is, who Spencer is and what happened to the Bravo team. So if you are already familiar with basic RE lore, RE0 isn't really that spoilerish.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is the spoiler
Wesker
?

Yes, but there's a bit more to it than that. I would highly advise you play REmake first, playing zero straight off the bat may turn you off the series as it can be a very frustrating game at times. Tbh they really are not all that connected, so there's no real benefit to playing Zero first anyway.

Got some preorder costume codes for PS4 from my work.
I think they are for EU PSN, but I guess anyone can try to use it.

nfhj-rgnj-bjeg
9qaa-8knt-jarr
l2m5-3gne-6t7l
6amh-5nnm-gelt

please reply if they worked

Kuraudo

Banned

nfhj-rgnj-bjeg
9qaa-8knt-jarr
l2m5-3gne-6t7l
6amh-5nnm-gelt

Redeemed number four. Thanks, man - I really wanted the Cody costume for Billy :)

Markitron

nfhj-rgnj-bjeg
9qaa-8knt-jarr
l2m5-3gne-6t7l
6amh-5nnm-gelt

Didn't take a code, but maybe ye could hide them in a quote so lurkers can't steal them?

Melchiah

It seems I'm reaching the end of Training Facility, and I was wondering if all the weapons and items I've collected into two rooms will move automatically to the next location? Is there a limit how many of them will be transferred there?

h0tp0ck3t

It seems I'm reaching the end of Training Facility, and I was wondering if all the weapons and items I've collected into two rooms will move automatically to the next location? Is there a limit how many of them will be transferred there?

No that only works for the train. after that where ever you drop it, it stays till the end of the game

ekgrey

Just finished the Training Facility/Facility Basement, nothing transfers but you don't lose access to those areas either, at least not immediately.

Melchiah

No that only works for the train. after that where ever you drop it, it stays till the end of the game

Damn. So, I have to drag them all to the next location? I really miss the item boxes. Is there a certain point, where I can't return to the Training Facility anymore?

Markitron

Damn. So, I have to drag them all to the next location? I really miss the item boxes. Is there a certain point, where I can't return to the Training Facility anymore?

No, right up until the final boss you can still revisit every room. To make things easier there is a shortcut from the final area directly to the training facility. The problem is that there's an extended sequence with a lot of combat after the facility but before the shortcut, so you will have to go back at least once. Worst part is that they know their shitty inventory system is forcing you to do this, so some apes and zombies are spawned on your route back. This isn't the only time they do this either.

Melchiah

No, right up until the final boss you can still revisit every room. To make things easier there is a shortcut from the final area directly to the training facility. The problem is that there's an extended sequence with a lot of combat after the facility but before the shortcut, so you will have to go back at least once. Worst part is that they know their shitty inventory system is forcing you to do this, so some apes and zombies are spawned on your route back. This isn't the only time they do this either.

Thanks for the info. The combat isn't a problem as I'm playing on easy, but the needless item dragging is. It feels like I'm using more time on item management, than actually playing the game. It makes me wish they had included some kind of way around that in the remaster.

Markitron

Thanks for the info. The combat isn't a problem as I'm playing on easy, but the needless item dragging is. It feels like I'm using more time on item management, than actually playing the game. It makes me wish they had included some kind of way around that in the remaster.

Playing on easy would make it worse, as your flush with ammo/healers. Leave some of it behind and only go back if you need it. Do grab the hookshot though, you will have to use it 3 times in succession after the training facility (after that you can dump it for good).

Oh hell no Capcom.
I'm turning off right now.

If it makes you feel any better there's only 5 in the whole game, that corridor contains the last two. Give Billy a shotgun and walk in with him alone, then switch right back to Rebecca. Let him do the ugly bidness off-screen.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If it makes you feel any better there's only 5 in the whole game, that corridor contains the last two. Give Billy a shotgun and walk in with him alone, then switch right back to Rebecca. Let him do the ugly bidness off-screen.
lol "billyyyyy~ get the spiderrrr~ I caaan't..."

Afro

It's so bad right after the church boss. I'd find a key w/ Rebecca, but only Billy could access the door (or vice versa), so I'd have to transfer the key, pistol, ammo, health, etc. one by one via the laundry shoot elevator just in case I needed it. Then swap all that stuff back after 4 minutes of exploring a single room. Pretty bad. Also, fuck the hookshot.

Melchiah

Playing on easy would make it worse, as your flush with ammo/healers. Leave some of it behind and only go back if you need it. Do grab the hookshot though, you will have to use it 3 times in succession after the training facility (after that you can dump it for good).

That's not the issue, as I'm ignoring First Aid Sprays for the trophy, and eventhough I'm being given ammo in abundance, they're all under a single item. The easy mode is really easy, as I haven't had a need for anything but handgun so far, but it's better this way as I wouldn't want to drag the items again in case of untimely death. It's kinda funny in a sense, that I would play on normal without the drawn-out item management.

Do you have any need for the Hookshot after the second time in the church?

EDIT: What would be the optimal area to store the weapons and items? Should I just leave them in the Training Facility, or is there another area that's more in the center of them all?

It's so bad right after the church boss. I'd find a key w/ Rebecca, but only Billy could access the door (or vice versa), so I'd have to transfer the key, pistol, ammo, health, etc. one by one via the laundry shoot elevator just in case I needed it. Then swap all that stuff back after 4 minutes of exploring a single room. Pretty bad. Also, fuck the hookshot.

I just reached that part last night, and needing to fetch the Hookshot again after I activated the lift drove me nuts. They could have just put it under a separate slot like the Zippo, instead of taking a third of your inventory, when you're moving alone after using it.

ekgrey

Every time I get to a new area I move everything to the first save room I find. After finishing an area, ammo and healing items are usually pretty low and all key items will be used so it doesn't take long to run back with both characters and load up. Definitely won't wanna leave everything in the Training Facility. So many doors to watch opening between you and your stuff.

And yes, you need the hookshot once (IIRC) more after finishing the church.

Arklite

Hard mode was destroying me towards the end. Your health status is one big gamble with several end game encounters. Despite the pain, I somehow I ended up liking it better than the last time I played I GameCube.

Melchiah

Every time I get to a new area I move everything to the first save room I find. After finishing an area, ammo and healing items are usually pretty low and all key items will be used so it doesn't take long to run back with both characters and load up. Definitely won't wanna leave everything in the Training Facility. So many doors to watch opening between you and your stuff.

And yes, you need the hookshot once (IIRC) more after finishing the church.

I think the difference with the easy mode is, that I don't necessarily need to move the more powerful weapons and their ammo just yet. The question is, when will I reach that point where I need them. So, the only thing I might need to fetch at this point, is the remaining herbs in the Trainign Facility.

Continuing to take my time with the game and making slow progress. Made it up to the (proto?) tyrant boss fight in the RE2(???) factory. The design for it is pretty great and creepy actually, it's also a fair bit more lethal than the tyrant from REmake...so idk why Umbrella would consider the more difficult one the prototype.

Markitron

Continuing to take my time with the game and making slow progress. Made it up to the (proto?) tyrant boss fight in the RE2(???) factory. The design for it is pretty great and creepy actually, it's also a fair bit more lethal than the tyrant from REmake...so idk why Umbrella would consider the more difficult one the prototype.

Yea, that's the factory from RE2, it's location makes absolutely no sense though, according to Newsbot it's a non-cannon easter egg. Btw, incase you haven't killed the Tyrant, it's invincible when you stun it. Wait for it to start moving again before unloading into it.

Top Bottom