• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 is being review bombed on Metacritic

Draugoth

Gold Member
Resident Evil 4 Remake was recently released and according to journalists' notes, the game was highly praised and became one of the highest rated games of the year so far.

But it seems that the community didn't like the Remake that much, because unfortunately the Capcom game is bein review bombed on MetaCritc The main negative criticism is that the original 2005 game is superior to the Remake, and that Capcom made unnecessary changes. Even the knife's "durability" system was criticized.

087929.png

087930.png

087931.png

Either way, the review bomb applies to all three platforms - PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X. The Series version, for example, has the lowest rating, with a user score of 5.2.

Some reviews also mention that the game is having technical problems, which according to experts on the subject, this part is actually true. So the right thing is to wait for the patch with corrections.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Technical issues true that!
Runs like fucking ass on the steam deck.

Both resi7 and 8 ran amazing on the deck.
Same engine… the fuck up?

mortal

Gold Member
Capcom remade it and made some changes, and still, people were upset.
If Capcom remade it but kept everything the exact same with the exception of the visuals, people would be upset and call them lazy
If Capcom never remade it, people would be upset.

Some peopele have too much time on their hands and are always looking for somehting to whine about.

Danknugz

i remember back on PS2 like 20 years ago playing this game and it was really fun especially once I beat it and got the rocket launcher and was able to go back through. i never got to the point of playing with the girl in skimpy outfits or anything though.

K2D

Banned

Either way, the review bomb applies to all three platforms - PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X. The Series version, for example, has the lowest rating, with a user score of 5.2.

Some reviews also mention that the game is having technical problems, which according to experts on the subject, this part is actually true. So the right thing is to wait for the patch with corrections.

Doesn't sound like review bombing, then, does it..?

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
This is why I have always been against user reviews and I never relied on them

Resident Evil 4 on Steam:
"Overwhelmingly Positive"

Metacritic is just what happens when you let whining man-children and babies review anything they want without proof of purchase. If Metacritic restricted reviews to verified purchases then the system would work better.

Steam even goes one step further and distinguishes overall reviews from recent reviews, so if a game is released in a bugged stated and gets mixed reviews, then gets patch, it'll show the recent reviews without weighing in the past ones.

MiguelItUp

Technical issues true that!
Runs like fucking ass on the steam deck.

Both resi7 and 8 ran amazing on the deck.
Same engine… the fuck up?
Well, it wasn't/isn't verified for Steam Deck yet. The others are. So maybe some tweaks were made to make it "verified"? Who knows. But surely it'll get there in due time.

Capcom remade it and made some changes, and still, people were upset.
If Capcom remade it but kept everything the exact same with the exception of the visuals, people would be upset and call them lazy
If Capcom never remade it, people would be upset.

Some peopele have too much time on their hands and are always looking for somehting to whine about.
100% This. For years now people just like to bitch for the sake of bitching it feels like. No matter what, they're unhappy. It's incredibly stupid to me. The Dead Space Remake was very well done, however it was practically a 1:1 of the original, and people complained that it was WAY too similar. So, there's proof there. Then in 4 we've seen minuet changes, and people still bitched. It's ridiculous.

Also, just more unfortunate proof that people will never use things the way they were intended, and really just ruins them.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
User reviews on metacritic are worse than critic reviews, because critics at least pretend to show some semblance of objectivity (though, in reality, they are prone to the same sorts of fanboyism that creates sacred cows).

But you have to ask yourself, "Why *this* game? The Dead Space remake, also from this year, has a fairly high user score.

My guess is that it's because the original Resident Evil 4 has always had an inflated reputation of quality (people on this site will call it a "perfect" game with a straight face), which is going to lead to extreme reactions toward the remake from those who think the original is overrated on one side and those who think the original was created by The Lord Almighty himself and sent to Earth on angels' wings.

That might explain the disparity in user reviews between these two remakes, as well as the feeling of this game being review bombed.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Game shouldn't be review bombed but I wasn't impressed with the demo. Feels worse than the original,don't like the atmosphere as much. Combat is worse. And don't get started on the technical issues,if this wasn't called resident evil 4,I don't think the reception would be nearly as positive.

Last edited:
It's a reaction to media that over-rates games like they work for the industry. Not that either side is right or wrong. The solution is probably to just wait for patches and word-of-mouth for fixes, then buy. No need to over-praise games or shit on them.

MMaRsu

Banned
Best game of the year so far, and better than most if not all third person action shooters in the last few years

Huh, steam reviews are fine. Game runs silky smooth. Didnt notice any woke changes, the boob nerf is not really major, they jiggle a ton and she moans constantly for some fucking reason, Ada's ass is something you want to bury your face in so the horny shit is still there. Game is fucking perfect in my eyes. Just arrived at the castle and Im in awe of everything.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
On Steam it’s usable since you see the user’s playtime and can filter out those who have only just started it.

Verified purchases are acceptable but there's no way to enforce something like that on a platform like metacritic reliably. We've seen plenty of examples of dumb fucks coming out of the woodworks to review bomb games.

ViolentP

So users didn't like the changes made and they also had technical issues and reviewed as such. Not sure what is wrong here.

Top Bottom