• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 is being review bombed on Metacritic

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't particularly like the changes they made to the game on paper... I'll get around to playing it eventually, but I understand why people aren't having it. Review bombing it is a little silly, though.

Remaking a game like RE4 that had such a distinct feel was always going to be difficult.

Zambatoh

I like what I've seen and played of the REmake. But I don't think this version will have a lasting cultural impact like the original did. It's a classic for a reason.

Astral Dog

I like what I've seen and played of the REmake. But I don't think this version will have a lasting cultural impact like the original did. It's a classic for a reason.
That was always going to be difficult,but i can see it surpassing the original sales eventually ,and it terms of critical acclaim its up there,its a success for Capcom

While the review bombing is silly, I am a little confused how many reviews didn't mention the poor image quality on the PS5 or the sluggish controls on the Xbox. I don't see how you can't mention it.

T4keD0wN

I read quite a few reviews. Plenty of them are basically finding ONE fault with the game (rain looks rough! I want to see Ashley’s panties! The game is more difficult! I fucked up and only own a Switch and nothing else!) and using that to “justify” a 1-3 out of 10.

These takes are barely any more helpful in averaging the quality of the game than Amazon reviews that are for a product yet the reviewer gives it 1 or 2 stars purely because their specific package got damaged in transit.
Ok, those ones are really bad, essentially troll reviews.

The ones that were specified in OPs post on the other hand were pretty fair and shouldnt be classified as "bombing", that term should be reserved for the irrelevant and nonsensical ones like the ones youve mentioned. If that term ends up applied even to the relevant reviews itll just lose all of its meaning and ends up dismissing legit complaints, protect the product and misinform the consumers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game shits on the the original from a great height.
It takes all the good stuff and improve on them and re-injects the RE horror vibe the REmake Series has to bring it in more consistent with the series.
Everyone bitching about it are just idiots
The only negative the new game has is the whole "you pervert" & "ballistics" comment being removed and Ashley wearing a stupid looking skort.
I am replaying original now (with hd and re_tweaks mod) and it plays so much different. Almost like a puzzle shooter and not an action game haha. And I die more since everyone hits you so hard.
going to finish the original and then do 2nd playthrough of remake lol

Reactions: TGO

TonyK

Thanks for the advice, I just put a 0 to the XSX version speaking about the deadzone issue, even if I think it's a great game, but I want that Capcom do something and fix this shit that any modder could fix in a day.

I mean, I'm in chapter 9 and I love the game but what infuriates me is that it's an issue so incredibly easy to solve.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Resident Evil 4 on Steam:
"Overwhelmingly Positive"

Metacritic is just what happens when you let whining man-children and babies review anything they want without proof of purchase. If Metacritic restricted reviews to verified purchases then the system would work better.

Steam even goes one step further and distinguishes overall reviews from recent reviews, so if a game is released in a bugged stated and gets mixed reviews, then gets patch, it'll show the recent reviews without weighing in the past ones.
How many times games got review bombed on Steam? Path of Exile gave players a decade long amazing content and they released one bad season and everyone review bombed them, this is clearly a contention matter and people are very torn on it but personally I think allowing players the option to review bomb a game is not in anyone’s favor

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Thanks for the advice, I just put a 0 to the XSX version speaking about the deadzone issue, even if I think it's a great game, but I want that Capcom do something and fix this shit that any modder could fix in a day.

I mean, I'm in chapter 9 and I love the game but what infuriates me is that it's an issue so incredibly easy to solve.
Ladies and gentlemen....Metacritic in a nutshell.

Mozzarella

Metacritic users are a joke, they get a place to rate and post thoughts on games and all they do is trolling.
I stopped taking them serious after TLOU2 incident, not because im a fan of that game but because it made the whole thing meaningless, you see before 2020 metacritic user scores had some decency and accuracy, you could tell which game was liked by the general public, there was review bombing but not to the extent of today, merely few console war bs and thats all. But these days its much much worse and the ratings are all over the place (After 2020 it turned into fanboy wars), you get hentai stuff that are highly rated, you get good stuff downvoted out of pity, its a mess, its all over the place.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
How many times games got review bombed on Steam? Path of Exile gave players a decade long amazing content and they released one bad season and everyone review bombed them, this is clearly a contention matter and people are very torn on it but personally I think allowing players the option to review bomb a game is not in anyone’s favor

I guess PoE being a free game allows anyone to place a review essentially - but even with paid games, people use reviews to get bugs fixed, and there's nothing really wrong with that. But with no accountability - people just leave games they dislike for whatever reason with bad reviews.

Plus as mentioned, Steam review list the reviewers play time with the game - so you can know pretty easily if it's someone who never played it or not.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Anyone who takes Metacritic or Opencritic seriously needs to get their heads examined. Only warriors and children needing validation of their purchases ever use them.

So if every game is review bombed with 0's and 10's, then will we measure the best games by how high they are on a 5.0 to 5.9 scale?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Anyone who takes Metacritic or Opencritic seriously needs to get their heads examined. Only warriors and children needing validation of their purchases ever use them.
If you played enough games you know your own taste, you dont need "scores" to tell you what game is worth it or not. But just like "graphics" in digital foundry threads, "score" is nothing more than fuel so people can argue to each other which plastic box is better.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If you played enough games you know your own taste, you dont need "scores" to tell you what game is worth it or not. But just "graphics" in digital foundry threads, "score" is nothing more than fuel so people can argue to each other which plastic box is better.

100%.
Showtime Recording GIF by CBS

MiguelItUp

Not to echo Minsc Minsc , but not TOO often, actually. You'll typically see random bombings happen with F2P or live service games. Be it because of a bad patch, update, DLC, etc.

But yeah, when they're titles people actually pay for, the reviews tend to be more accurate. You'll always see stupid troll posts full of memes or silly sentences following by a thumbs up or down. But for the most part they seem to be pretty on point. At least more so than Metacritic/Opencritic.

If you played enough games you know your own taste, you dont need "scores" to tell you what game is worth it or not. But just "graphics" in digital foundry threads, "score" is nothing more than fuel so people can argue to each other which plastic box is better.
👏

TonyK

Ladies and gentlemen....Metacritic in a nutshell.
Or a tool to force developers to take action. That's review bombing purpose. Even if I think it's useless in this case as all Resident Evil games in XSX have worse controls implementation than PS5 versions (I have both consoles an all Resident Evil games bought for both), and they never fix them.

I think Capcom gives a shit about Xbox. But if they give a shit about fixing the issue, I give a shit about scoring correctly their game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Or a tool to force developers to take action. That's review bombing purpose. Even if I think it's useless in this case as all Resident Evil games in XSX have worse controls implementation than PS5 versions (I have both consoles an all Resident Evil games bought for both), and they never fix them.

I think Capcom gives a shit about Xbox. But if they give a shit about fixing the issue, I give a shit about scoring correctly their game.
If you say a game is great and yet give it a 0, you are not changing anything. Nothing. Fastest selling RE game ever. Your statement is empty. It holds no weight. Capcom will never read it or care. You are just being an idiot and I mean that gently. I know you are not an idiot. I know that the XBox versions have broken aim that makes everything more difficult. That is not cool. And that's on Capcom.

But to slap a 0 on a game you admit is great, is basically admitting how useless MC user scores are. I hope XBox players get a patch to fix the deadzone which is absurdly ridiculous. But not worth a 0. You know that.

And I know that RE8 still has fucked up aiming for XBox while all the other versions are fine. That's pretty pathetic on Capcom's part. They should do better. But a 0? You can still 100% the game on Series S/X. More difficult because of bullshit? Yes. But 0? Nah.

Last edited:
Didn’t care for the original much, remake is fantastic so far. Only on chapter 3 but it’s badass. I want more resident evil games like this.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
to anyone still looks at user reviews before purchasing a video game, slap yourself.

I actually agree that the original game is superior, but the remake is fantastic.
I actually think the remake is better in everyway, in the same way that R1 Remake is better then OG resident evil or Re remake 2 is better then OG2, people say otherwise it is purely nostalgia glasses on.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Part of me likes this balance. These over-lauded remakes will disincentivize the creation of new games with new ideas.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I don't think anyone would argue that OG RE4 was the better game for it's time. But that being said, I probably won't go back. The Remake just improves on so many things, they did such a fantastic job with it.

TonyK

If you say a game is great and yet give it a 0, you are not changing anything. Nothing. Fastest selling RE game ever. Your statement is empty. It holds no weight. Capcom will never read it or care. You are just being an idiot and I mean that gently. I know you are not an idiot. I know that the XBox versions have broken aim that makes everything more difficult. That is not cool. And that's on Capcom.

But to slap a 0 on a game you admit is great, is basically admitting how useless MC user scores are. I hope XBox players get a patch to fix the deadzone which is absurdly ridiculous. But not worth a 0. You know that.

And I know that RE8 still has fucked up aiming for XBox while all the other versions are fine. That's pretty pathetic on Capcom's part. They should do better. But a 0? You can still 100% the game on Series S/X. More difficult because of bullshit? Yes. But 0? Nah.

I understand your point and your view about Metacritic, but I hope some Capcom community manager will check those 0 scores to see what's going on, that's my reasoning to put a 0 there. I work in the industry and community managers check these things and make periodic reports. If I put a 9 and then I mention the deadzone issue, for sure the comment will be lost and no one in Capcom will notice my complaint. Putting a 0 there is a slight possibility they will notice it.

However, I truly think it will be useless in this case because Capcom has a long record of not fixing these type of issues. I suppose because is not a issues for them, but a strange design choice for Xbox.

I must say I'm playing the game in XSX with the PS5 Dualsense controller and that solves the problem with the deadzones, so I'm having a lot of fun, no aiming problems and the game is great. But as I said I'm my previous post, what irritates me is that it's an issue very easy to solve. They only need to put a slider for the deadzones, as for example Cyberpunk did.

Banned
I must say I'm playing the game in XSX with the PS5 Dualsense controller and that solves the problem with the deadzones, so I'm having a lot of fun, no aiming problems and the game is great.

I still find it weird that your adapter does that tho tbh.

I wrote this in the other thread already but...
this is great for this game, but it indicates that it doesn't send the correct stick input values, which in other games would be an issue.

Last edited:
To be fair this game never deserved such high reviews based on the rediculous performance and especially the deadzone issues. It's unforgivable imo not to at least fix the deadzone issue for launch.

All the 10/10's with this many easily fixable, gameplay affecting issues is absurd and further evidence of the sorry state of the industry and reviewers.

I dislocated my shoulder on RE4 release day back in 2005. I was in high school. So instead of taking care of my shoulder, I undid the orthopedic whatever holding my arm and played RE4 for weeks as I couldn't go to school. To this day, my shoulder is still busted because of RE4 and me playing it instead of letting it heal. Still the greatest gaming memory I have. I remember my mom making me do chores so I could get some money to buy the game at launch and thinking about it while sweeping floors.

RE4 Remake is better. Flat out. My emotional attachment to the original cannot override the fact that the remake has more gameplay depth, better controls, sometimes brilliantly streamlined set pieces (the Bella Sisters), and expanded ones (the lake). A massive upgrade to atmosphere and a true mix of pure action and survival horror where every bullet counts instead of having a suitcase packed like the OG. And much better boss fights (Salazar, Verdugo and Krauser fights in particular).

Not even close in terms of atmosphere and pace, and re4 controls are fine. Don't try to put colors on black and white film, it will hurt the essence.

In my opinion, that remake is close as bad as re3r.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not even close in terms of atmosphere and pace, and re4 controls are fine. Don't try to put colors on black and white film, it will hurt the essence.

In my opinion, that remake is close as bad as re3r.
Hey some people believe the Earth is flat and that Rael is bringing the Elohim to fuck human women. It's ok to be utterly wrong. It doesn't make you dumb or a bad person. Just really wrong. The pace is snappier despite harder puzzles. The castle is much more atmospheric and horrific. Just the village and the missing hiking women bound and killed, gave me more chills than anything in the OG. And the new lab with the Regenerators that are now fucking Sonic....100% times better. Seriously the OG lab part feels sterile compared to this horror.

Last edited:
Hey some people believe the Earth is flat and that Rael is bringing the Elohim to fuck human women. It's ok to be utterly wrong. It doesn't make you dumb or a bad person. Just really wrong. The pace is snappier despite harder puzzles. The castle is much more atmospheric and horrific. Just the village and the missing hiking women bound and killed, gave me more chills than anything in the OG. And the new lab with the Regenerators that are now fucking Sonic....100% times better. Seriously the OG lab part feels sterile compared to this horror.
Im not wrong, i have MY opinion, you have YOUR opinion and we must respect each other. Don't deny, just say "i disagree".

Nobody should dictate tastes, and lots of people agree that the original is better, some love the remake more!

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Im not wrong, i have MY opinion, you have YOUR opinion and we must respect each other. Don't deny, just say "i disagree".

Nobody should dictate tastes, and lots of people agree that the original is better, also love the remake more!
I agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion after all.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

Nobody should dictate tastes, and lots of people agree that the original is better, also love the remake more!
BASED Master Derico, glad to still see you around

And don't worry, everyone that has actually played RE4 back then knows that the original is miles and miles ahead of this unnecessary remake.

The original will always be known as a gen-defining game, this one is just a shallow copy that just makes things streamlined and edgy for zoomers.

Chiggs

The only issue I have with it was the removal of a certain boss fight, which was one of the original game's most tense moments. Outside of that, everything was as good as the original.

Tg89

If you played enough games you know your own taste, you dont need "scores" to tell you what game is worth it or not. But just like "graphics" in digital foundry threads, "score" is nothing more than fuel so people can argue to each other which plastic box is better.

eh, metacritic serves as a decent check and balance.

i agree that having played so many games you can gauge what will be good for you with the plentiful prerelease info we get these days. but if a score is alarmingly low it'll make me double back and do a bit more research to make sure i haven't been misled/missed something important. similarly, if something i thought looked terrible scores alarmingly high, ill look into it a bit more.

Top Bottom