• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

GymWolf

Dayum, gotta love the magnum, props Mr Mikami

I got stuck in a room with 2 wolvie beserker blind monsters chained to the wall and like a million cult bros. I tried to kill all the cultists silently using crossbow and knives but they just kept coming and coming. So I tried again with the punisher (edit wrong name I meant broken butterfly magnum hand canon) which I hadn't even fired yet even though I've been upgrading it. One precise shot each on the parasite on the back of the beserkers and they're donezo

I started carrying the magnum because I noticed magnum ammo never drops. But since I've been carrying around it dropped once. Maybe it can drop as long as the gun is in your inventory but it's just super rare? I've never seen tmp ammo drop and I don't carry that around

Anyone know how rules of ammo drops work? I have noticed that what comes out of crates is random
The strategy in that room is just to run between enemies so the blind dudes can kill em for you, and when they are only them left it's a cakewalk.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Guys, never played Resident Evil franchise and i need some help from you. Currently I have on steam the following games:

1. Resident Evil 2 / Biohazard RE:2 > 2019
2. Resident Evil 7 / Biohazard > 2017
3. Resident Evil 4 HD > 2014
4. Resident Evil: HD Remaster > 2015
5. Resident Evil 3 > 2020
6. Resident Evil: Revelations HD > 2013
7. Resident Evil 5 > 2009
8. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 > 2015
9. Resident Evil 0 > 2016
10. Resident Evil 6 > 2013
11. Resident Evil Resistance > 2020

Can you, please, tell me in which order should i play them and if am i missing something which is on PC? And where it fits on the playing order?

Man, this is a bad case of Steam Sale FOMO :messenger_tears_of_joy:

1. Resident Evil HD Remaster (only old-style controls game you will be playing on this list but it's a classic)
2. RE2 Remake
3. RE3 Remake
4. RE4 2005 (absolutely worth playing the original before you look at this remake)
5. RE7
6. RE8

0 is not a good game, don't play it initially. 5 divisive, 6 almost universally disliked. Code Veronica is not on PC and is a very mixed bag. I would say do the above list and then if you're still thirsty for more, try the others. The RE plot/lore is absolutely nonsense bollocks anyway, you're not missing anything.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Are you on console? Because on pc it looks pretty good.
He said PS5 so he's playing the same version as me.
Although he might be playing in performance mode while I'm in Quality/RT mode.
That's the only difference I can think of.
But like I said the rain changes from different strengths, here it's more noticeable
1R2lkkU.jpg

Last edited:
Just need to get through work and I'll have 4 days off with this little beauty. Been slow moving on this one , but having a blast.

Love the stealth aspect of the game . Gives me Evil Within vibes . Did you guys know you can stealth kill the bull head dudes weilding the big hammer ? That's a real ammo saver , got 2 in the villiage so far. Been dying or restarting a fair amount on hardcore but that's just par for the course for me. Professional is going to be borderline insane I can already tell.

SCB3

Been a bit off this week so not done much gaming outside of light Steam Deck stuff but today I got up to Chapter 8, the Water room done in 1 shot as well! I don't remember having having much trouble in the OG with this room anyway but yea not too bad all told.

They say that the older you get, the more emotional you get. I always shrugged it off and I could never quite put my finger on the case why people would get emotional over videogames.

I was 16 years old when the original of this game released on the Gamecube. I have fond memories of me playing this game a lot with my dad. The man is 67 now and still playing.
Here comes yesterday evening. Starting up the remake and going through the first few enemies. It felt like a blast from the past.

Then comes the first typewriter saving point...

The first piano music hits and my brain took me back to the day I was 16 years old and playing this game with my dad. That nostalgia hit was absolutely devastating.
Here I was, 34 years old, wiping away a few tears over a videogame. This sure took me by surprise and was the very first time I got emotional whilst playing games.

Took me around 3 minutes to laugh about it and venture further in my nostalgia adventure. People always tend to ask why I love videogames. This is just the type of feeling I can not explain if you never grew up with them.

Madflavor

Its not just the rain. That section has legit the worst looking water I've seen since the PS3 era. That whole boss battle should have been scratched. Or at least polished up for another month. It was just bad. Just aimlessly throwing the unlimited spears at that thing just felt very PS2-y lol. They can do better than that.

I am enjoying the game a lot overall, chapter 8 now. The castle. Loving the atmosphere. But its just lacking that polish. I really don't know how reviews dont mention any of this lol.

Cook it for 6 more months and you'd have a masterpiece.

Back to playing tho

I think people sorely over estimate how much the gaming community as a whole honestly cares about graphics. It’s really only when a game is bugged to absurd levels (Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout 76, Cyberpunk 2077) that attention is called to the games visuals, and most gamers can get behind.

Decided to give Verdugo(Mr. Right Hand) an honest chance in the remake to see if they balanced him properly this time around.

They did not.

He still is one of the fastest, most agile bosses combined with the largest health pool out of any boss. Both together still lead to annoyance when fighting him the way the game wants you to(using the mechanics of the area). So I simply went back to using the 80,000 1 shot solution just like in the original.

I recommend everyone save money for a Rocket Launcher when playing the first half of the castle area. In both games he remains to be the only boss I recommend this for.

Replayed OG recently and just used the free Broken Butterfly+all the Magnum rounds saved from the castle on him; worked fine. I was trying not to cheese bosses.

Just beat him in the remake. Tbh the fight was a little more annoying because you have to make sure you time activating the nitrogen right, but I didn’t have a magnum or rocket launcher, and at least to me, it didn’t seem like he took as many rounds (using Stingray and Riot Gun) as the original would’ve taken. Maybe it’s because I’m on Standard idk.

Madflavor

Rank S+ on Professional looks like a real bitch to get. Need to complete in less than 5 hours and 30 minutes and only 15 saves. You can use Bonus Weapons, but it doesn't help that much because you won't have the coin at the beginning to upgrade them to Infinite Ammo.

Not entirely true! :) I've had one or two bolt drops in the second half of the Castle, IIRC. Could've even been the dual Garrador room or the lead-up to the Verdugo fight, if memory serves me right.
Sounds like it is super rare then, I never stored the thrower and had it to on me for the entire game without a single drop for it.

shubik

Got to the island yesterday. Will probably finish it today. I can´t even express how much fun I´m having. This as well as the Dead Space remake are a joy to play. Especially if you are playing both games for the first time.

S ranked all of shooting gallery! At first, some tier 3 and 4 felt impossible on the controller but there are some tricks to it and good guides on youtube now to refer to.
Bottom line speed is way more important than accuracy and hitting that sailor penalty is sometimes required
No need to hit the sailors at all. What you do need to do, though, is change where you are shooting from.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This game has some high highs, and very low lows.

Finding it to be very inconsistent on almost every level. From design to visuals to gameplay.

One section i'm in an intense, expertly crafted hide and seek game with a blind wolverine dude. I loved that entire section. And it was dripping in atmosphere.

The next im running around a castle praying this incompetent ass girl doesn't get blown to bits by a giant ogre that does nothing but spam craters at me for half hour. Wish they would have updated some design choices over the 2005 release. I know they did a lot, but some of the stuff in here still feels like its 2005.

And just like in TLOU Part 1... I wish they upgraded the melee combat. This mofo can jump from great heights, do barrel rolls out of windows, and is a well trained fighter in cutscenes. . But in gameplay all I can do is kick? Let me murder some of these enemies with that badassery I see in cutscenes using my bare hands.

Also the visuals, some parts it looks really great and impressive. Some parts it looks completely unfinished. One section will have moody, atmospheric lighting, but right down the hallway... the textures don't load. Death animations, I love the brutality, but it loses the Wow factor Calisto Protocol had because some of them are literally unfinished animations. Leon will make sound effects/scream, but his face is stagnant and doesn't move at all. I thought it was a glitch at first until I went to YouTube and saw it was the same for everybody else.

On chapter 9 now. Had to run back to the merchant mid mission because I ran out of ammo entirely and I had to provide cover to Ashley <_<

So far i'm giving it a solid 7/10. I appreciate its legacy and what it did for the genre. Loving the atmosphere, But I wish the remake was much more polished than it is.

K' Dash

You can, the monks eventually stop spawning

well, it seems I didn't have the patience to wait, that room is a drag in the original and a drag in the Remake, I always carried a rocket to not deal with it and will do exactly that in ng+

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I love how cheeky Capcom was with Ashley's ballistics. They removed the line entirely, and covered her up with a jacket. So you think they're going for a more modest take on Ashley. And then you get to Chapter 14.
Ashley looks phenomenal in this game. Especially with hair strands.

It's a shame how basic the character development and storytelling is in these remakes because i honestly think that the voice acting, mocap, cutscene direction and tech is top notch and definitely can afford to tell a more intimate story without becoming something super serious like TLOU.

My favorite parts were when Ashley and Leon are super kind to each other. There might even be a hint of romance. Shouldve had more scenes like that. i think Uncharted 1-3 did a far better job of maintaining the campy feel while also having good character moments. Remakes storytelling do a great job with the action and moving the plot foward but the charcters feel thin by todays standards.

Just beat it yesterday, incredible game. I genuinely enjoyed it more than the original game namely for the better characterization, better files, much more enjoyable combat and things to do.

I do miss some things they left out but I think this remake did a better job than the other two recent ones at keeping the essence there and giving you enough new things to make you feel okay with the omissions.

Madflavor

Ashley looks phenomenal in this game. Especially with hair strands.

It's a shame how basic the character development and storytelling is in these remakes because i honestly think that the voice acting, mocap, cutscene direction and tech is top notch and definitely can afford to tell a more intimate story without becoming something super serious like TLOU.

My favorite parts were when Ashley and Leon are super kind to each other. There might even be a hint of romance. Shouldve had more scenes like that. i think Uncharted 1-3 did a far better job of maintaining the campy feel while also having good character moments. Remakes storytelling do a great job with the action and moving the plot foward but the charcters feel thin by todays standards.

Yeah their relationship in this is just so much better. Really had big brother and little sister vibes.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
That spider thing that takes control of the victims is gnarly :messenger_weary:. Fave enemies (non boss/mini boss) so far

Last edited:
there's never going to be just the Garradors left, the monks will spawn forever.
Not true, there's only 3 waves of monks I believe, I mauled them while distracting the garradors with the bells, and then simply proceeded to stealth killing them afterwards.

time stamped

Last edited:

Madflavor

The only thing I flat out hate about RE4R is the way unlockables work. It's a minor complaint that doesn't effect my overall enjoyment of the game, but it's probably my least favorite method of attaining unlockables in the series.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Just has Ashley kidnapped by Salazar and I've now fully upgraded the Red 9. Blam Blam Blam I am death.

Had to sale my Magnum to do it but I was out of Mag rounds anyway. Plus I found the assault rifle... so eh.

saintjules

Started my playthrough last night on Series X. The Controls definitely feels very laggy in terms of response time. Did they discuss about fixing this?

Hugare

He said PS5 so he's playing the same version as me.
Although he might be playing in performance mode while I'm in Quality/RT mode.
That's the only difference I can think of.
But like I said the rain changes from different strengths, here it's more noticeable
1R2lkkU.jpg
I've reached Ashley, and it improved a bit

Rain still doesnt look good most of the time, but it was seriously bad looking right after the Del Lago fight, when you begin exploring the lake

It's a terrible filter that follows Leon around. Really distracting.

I was playing performance mode with RT. Turned off RT, same thing.

The game is great, but its the worse looking rain that I've seen in a game in quite a while

fart town usa

Gold Member
No spoilers please because maybe what I'm about to bring up is confirmed in the game (I'm on chapter 12). Luis is from the Village though huh? There's a journal entry and a guy talks about taking in a young boy following the death of his daughter. He mentions the child is incredibly smart and has a fondness for Don Quixote tales....

I'll just leave it at that but I feel like Luis is that child mentioned in the files.

Just wanted to mention it.

Bartski

Gold Member
No need to hit the sailors at all. What you do need to do, though, is change where you are shooting from.
sure, need to reposition a lot as well. All I'm saying is it's easier to get an S on some stages when hitting sailors to make up for penalty with a much better time score

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've reached Ashley, and it improved a bit

Rain still doesnt look good most of the time, but it was seriously bad looking right after the Del Lago fight, when you begin exploring the lake

It's a terrible filter that follows Leon around. Really distracting.

I was playing performance mode with RT. Turned off RT, same thing.

The game is great, but its the worse looking rain that I've seen in a game in quite a while
Oh you just reached Ashley, it's gonna get worse then 😂
But I'm not getting that (filter that follows Leon around) impression from it, it looks independent and dynamic to me.
Although I'd imagine when it's heavy it can appear that way.

Madflavor

Leon is on an elevator with an open view to Krauser on a boat with Ashley in tow. I shot Krauser with my rifle, but nothing happened. Wouldve thought they'd have accounted for it

Either you shoot him and he goes "ugh" and drives off, or you shoot him, he dies, and then the credits roll, effectively breaking the game when it comes to speedrunning to get S+ ranks.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Is the original an unlockable?

Deerock71

I've encountered the same issue. I managed to tune the aiming to the best feeling but I've been using old school gaming tricks to get around it, like funneling enemies into hallways, climbing to higher areas and shooting things that can't climb up, or waiting for enemies to climb then shooting them down, or using door tricks(enemies will go into a door busting animation to get through, you blast them, stun kick, then go through the other side of the door and repeat).

Anything and everything cheese helps the aiming process be an easier experience.
Wouldn't funneling and waiting for them to climb be what you do in real life?

Madflavor

I actually managed to kill all the monks with my Bolt Thrower in that room my first playthrough on Hardcore. Then took care of the Garradors on their own. I fucking loved that stupid gun.

Just made it to the castle, haven't beaten it since it first came out on GameCube so I remember almost none of it, absolutely spectacular so far. Playing on PC (5800x3d, 3080 10gb) getting between 100-120 fps 95% of the time. Looks and runs fantastic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom